• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A public apology

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I have come to realise that I owe the staff and the rest of our community a big apology.

As a result of being severely overworked for a long time, my sense of judgement and self-control have gradually lapsed.

I have repeatedly vented in public regarding whatever anxieties I feel for the moment regarding the wiki or the world when I have been sufficiently mentally exhausted, which is highly unprofessional and unsuitable for an entertainment wiki. I have almost always deleted such messages afterwards, but that does not make the incidents much better.

My severe OCD has caused me to try to help out with everything, which has resulted in micromanagement to the point of that it has been perceived as tyrannical, even though this was far from my intention.

My autism has made me overly resistant to change, which, combined with being far too exhausted to deal with discussions, has caused me to recurrently be unreasonable and shut them down.

My slight paranoia has caused me to see slippery slopes even when this is a significant exaggeration.

And finally, I have felt so overwhelmed by the sheer recurrently 12 hours a day workload, when trying to do almost every single task available all at once, that I turned desperate enough to consider closing wiki editing to trusted members only as a good idea.

Together all of this has helped to cause an unhealthy atmosphere wherein I have been perceived as near-impossible to reason with.

This is far from my intention, as I have otherwise worked hard attempting to create a fun and positive healthy atmosphere when I helped to build this wiki, but paradoxically, the harder that I have tried to overexert myself to be helpful to the community, the less capable I have turned in this regard.

Also, all staff members should feel perfectly free to contact me in private, and tell me if I have done something wrong. I tend to be far easier to deal with in conversations one-on-one than in public. For example, I am ill-suited to handling public outbursts towards me that draw in others and spiral out of control, whereas I am open for harsh private criticism. I also deal much better with suggestions for drastic changes if I am forewarned about them, so we can first evaluate if they have negative consequences.

As I mentioned earlier, the main cause for the problems is that my mind cannot take the strain of an up to 12 hours a day workload in the long run, and still keep being sensible and reasonable, so I have to do some drastic changes in my work structure. As such I will try to severely limit my involvement in most discussion threads, and also collaborate with the other staff members regarding the new edit-patrolling script.

This both has the benefit of that I micromanage things far less and that I have no problems mentally keeping up with a 7-8 hours a day workload. I simply need sufficient time to properly rest and recover every day.

Mind you, this will be very hard for me, as I am a severely obsessive-compulsive perfectionist, and I tried and failed to do this earlier, but I will nevertheless try very hard to fight against my instincts.

I will also try to be more reasonable, less paranoid, and less resistant to change, but again, none of this will be easy for me.

And finally, I will permanently drop the dumb idea of locking the wiki to trusted editors only, and will try to have faith in the staff's ability to eventually monitor for bad edits even without my help. The new edit-patrolling script should be an immense help for splitting that workload.

I will also continue to try to help out with administrative tasks, such as restarting wiki management threads that have turned too long, and updating the navigation bar and front page links to them.

Another contributing factor to these problems is that I was used to having Kavpeny to constantly discuss any issues regarding the wiki, and he made most of the final decisions. I still discuss important matters with the other bureaucrats, and greatly appreciate all of their help, but nevertheless, Kavpeny is currently usually too busy to respond for long periods of time, and with him missing it is extra important that the staff are willing to give me honest input in private.

To summarise, I have listened to your complaints and concerns, and am willing to try my best to make a change in the right direction. However, there has to be some sort of middle ground and forthcomingness on both sides. I will try to let go of the micromanaging and paranoia, but it would also be best if you try to work with me, and not publicly bash me or turn others against me. I want to work with all of you to make the site better, rather than stop improvement.

I know I that I am far from perfect, but I am willing to try to change for the sake of this community.

Notice: No drama please

I am extremely happy to hear this. Given your position within the wiki, it is essential that your behavior and performance is top notch. I personally think you've done a pretty great job so far, but there are definitely ways you could improve. Right now, it seems that you are more than willing to make the necessary improvements. It's nice to know that the complaints and concerns of many wonderful staff and regular members did not go unheard from you.

I completely understand and sympathize with many of the mental set backs and stress that you put up with. I and most other people here wouldn't know what it's like in your shoes. So I try not to judge you too much, and at times wish others would do the same. I have a lot of respect that you're trying to push through these hardships for the sake of our community.

I look forward to seeing this site and you grow for the better from this point forward. And I'd appreciate it if the rest of the staff would also support you through this positive change that benefits all of us.

I am very happy to see this message. It's great that you are willing to step down from overworking yourself to complete stress and exhaustion, and that you will put an effort to change and trust others. I completely understand your point of view, and can relate to your situation, but I am even happier that this decision has been done.

I really look forward to see both this site and yourself grow for the better.

If you ever need assistance, or support, or someone to simply talk to, I am here, either on wiki or on FF.Net.

Thank you Matthew. I appreciate your input.

Thank you Dragonmasterxyz.

@Antvasima

While you have had ideas which the rest of the staff have disagreed with, I don't feel you need to apologize to us. You only had the best intentions.

Also, I really hope you relax more from now on. We appreciate all the hard work you put in. We do. You're the most helpful member here. But please, you need to treat yourself better. I don't want you to change yourself or something. I just want you to treat yourself better.

Thank you Soldier Blue, but all of the things that I said are regrettably true. I really need to shape up, as more and more people are getting sick and tired of my BS, if you forgive the language.

Rest well, I know that his work excesively several hours a day, it's really not good for physical health and Moral, thank you to trust the staff of the wiki and do not worry do not apologize and rest well ;)

That's awesome Ant. I hope that it will work out well (Although i don't really think that you needed to make a public apology, you did everything with the best intentions)

Dragonmasterxyz said:
If I could kudos this thread I would. This makes me extremely happy.
But you can ovo

Thank you Kaltias and DodoNova2.

Rest well Ant, just know you're an awesome guy who's a great bureaucrat for the wiki, though not the best, but still one heck of an awesome one.

Just know we have the support, and have your back!

Thank you EMagoIorSouI, Ultima Reality, Overlord775, and Huesito88.

This is wonderful. The fact that you can accept criticism (albiet in private) is better than most, that's to be commended. You have done am excellent job thus far over these passed two-three years. Everything diminishes with time. Our job (not just the job of the staff) is to ensure all that hard work isn't for naught. I struggle with OCD and perfectionism too, we share that in common.

I absolutely agree with Soldier Blue. I would rather you take better care of yourself than destroy yourself. This wiki is, in a way, your magnum opus, yet even still it just hurts to see such an unhealthy. work ethic despite its effectiveness. We should at least try to have fun here, right? Well, that aside, this should be a good step, for the wiki and more importantly yourself.

Once more, I would like to apologize for also venting in public, such things should stay in private forevermore. It also doesn't help that misconceptions and lost context make it appear as if we hate each other when that's far from reality. Your intentions are respectable, everyone should know that much. I hope everything can be in working order where you won't have to worry as much. Best of luck to you and the future of the wiki.

Thank you Sera. Apology accepted.

I am happy that you are willing to take it a bit more easy. I have heard from many people that they were worried about you and while I do not know you personally, I am happy that their worries will be eased.

Rest well!

Rest well

You're the first guy who responded to my question when I first stumbled upon this wiki and even now you're still the only one responding to my threads so I see how overworked you are lol.

Also, I think you're the most reliable staff here FRA

Thank you Heilergott. However, I will still continue to work every day. I will just try to mostly strictly focus on edit-monitoring, clearing calculation blogs that have been accepted by the calc group, and restarting management threads, as these are the tasks that I am best suited for. However, I will try to be far less active in content revision threads and the like.

Can't anything more as the lovely persons above definitely said what i thought better.

Rest well Ant, you deserve it a lot~

Thank you ALRF and MasterOfArda.

This is great. It's nice to see you accepting your mistakes and expressing your desires to improve on them, while still making a proposal to compromise on some middle grounds.

Everyone above has said what I think better then I could say myself. Ant, your one of the most hardworking members I've seen and I don't think you need to apologise but we're all here for you. As always, I wish you luck.

I'd like to also give off an apology, for.. simply creating numerous useless edits and unneeded additions to statistics, which I feel added onto this.

I'd remain silent under editing, or at limit it, under your word, as making character pages are basically what I'm more interested in.

It's totally fine. I feel you, I have autism too.

I suggest to take some rest. The wiki is in good hands with the staff.

And what others said, your edit count is very impressive, and you're a very hardworking member indeed. But don't overexert yourself for the wiki; I suggest to take it easy. I hope all goes well.

Thank you ArbitraryNumbers, LordGriffin1000, and Withersoul 235.

Back