• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Proper Analysis of the "Omniverse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomElite

VS Battles
Retired
Before getting started, I'd like to stress two things:

1. This refers solely to the "all of fiction" definition of Omniverse.

2. This is merely putting things in perspective in an unbaised manner. I'm not arguing that we should use the term.

Omniverse, in this community the very term might cause someone to cringe. Even I disliked it to a strong degree. However, is it really a nonsense term as everyone keeps calling it? How about looking at it from an analytical point of view.

What is the Omniverse? Most people will tell you it's "all of fiction", this is why most consider it nonsense. I'm here to bear you the horrible truth that it is not entirely nonsense. Other people will stress that the Omniverse is a collection of infinite "megaverses" (which is a collection of infinite multiverses"). That is the sole nonsense definition of Omniverse as it is just plain illogical. Forget that definition, let's focus purely on "all-of-fiction".

It is indeed nonsense to consider every fiction has being part of the same cosmology in relation to their copyright however it is not nonsense to consider other non-related fictions exists within a given verse, including our world, in relation to it's own fictional setting and does not affect the setting of the primary source that is, apparently, part of that verse. For example, in Umineko, Lambdadelta mentioned Ghosts in a Shell as a fragment. Last time I checked, that's a manga not written or owned by Ryukishi07 or 7th Expansion. In Archie Comics, Sonic is introduced to multiple screen monitors which show different zones in the multiverse, all showing alternate universe counterparts of Sonic, and one of them is a Spider-Man version of Sonic. Any multiverse can use the "omniverse" concept.

Infinite universes = infinite possibilities. Don't let the term fool you, Omniverse is an infinite Multiverse. The mere notion of all-possibility. I don't see why that shouldn't be at least acknowledged on the Omniverse page instead of outright dismissing the term. Make no mistake, the term has various definitions and should not be used by any means, I am interesting in the concept itself. It's not copyright infringement, it's not claiming to "own your verse", it's their fictional interpretation of your verse within their cosmology as a form of homage, spoof, or reference. Obviously the REAL Ghosts in a Shell is not part of the When They Cry cosmology in any way. Obviously, Sonic is not listed as one if the many incarnations of Spider-Man within Marvel. If they get...why don't we? Because we're too caught up in debating "who's stronger" so we have people literally believe one fictional deity created all fictional universes literally? Certainly not.

Growing up in Tokyo in the mid-late 1990s, I was introduced to comics as well as manga, and I was never bothered Marvel's concept of "Omniverse" until I was exposed to vs debating years later. The Omniverse concept is not Marvel exclusive, nor is it valid. It is simply a trope that goes in alignment with all-possibility/infinite possibilities. It should not be compared to the Suggsverse, that's for certain. I'm pretty sure no one Marvel literally believed they could own all of fiction, not even then. The Omniverse merely was some form of pseudo-explanation on how Marvel characters can cross-over with DC or Capcom, SNK, etc..

In conclusion, treat the Omniverse as a MUGEN game. Your MUGEN can have whatever characters you want, from all over fiction. Yet, it does not impact or directly influence someone else's MUGEN game, even if they have the exact same characters. Different MUGEN, different creators, different computers, different worlds/experience. It's that simple.

I prefer Transformers' use of the term.

Where it's basically "Well, there ARE other multiverses out there, home to various other fictional characters, but we don't influence that", and indeed, there are no "Omniverse busters" or "Omniverse creators" in the franchise.

Either way, we still will not use it as it is simply another name for multiverse. Also the Omniverse page mentioned there is no general agreement on what it means. Even then it get utterly confusing for the most part so I don't exactly see how this will change the stance on this matter.

Edit: Also I don't think we should change it anyway as the infinite dimensional part came from speculation and mostly guessworks.

Also I not so sure if treating it as a concept will help as that only further solidify the point it is a highly controversial term. I don't know if we should treat all dimensions as "concepts."

Edit: Basically Concept has their own meaning of the word.

Well, the problem is that Mark Gruenwald, the person who invented the term in a fanzine that he was running, and later became a Marvel editor, originally intended it to mean all of fiction and reality combined, and this is also how the Marvel handbook defined it.

In addition, it has later become bastardised to mean several other things, including by Gruenwald and Marvel Comics itself.

As such, it has basically been rendered meaningless for our purposes here in this wiki.

hmm i guess i can call omniverse a MUGEN lol though this helps a lot to wrap my head in the term XD

Oh yes, I know. Needless to say the term does not fit our standards. I agree with Ever on how certain series refer to other multiverses but are incapable of doing anything to them.

I think that we do need a proper analysis of Omniverse. I have my own opinions on it, and I'll probably write a blog on it.

I have an honest question.

For those who say "other multiverses", wouldn't it all just be one large Multiverse period since a true multiverse is infinite?

@Matthew I would personally prefer if you would avoid shaking up our policies regarding this issue, and focus on the Marvel and Sailor Moon revisions instead.

@Professor

This is basically how it is in Marvel.

DoctorStrangeEvidence1
DoctorStrangeEvidence2
DoctorStrangeEvidence3
We have a local multiverse, composed of infinite universes that follow the same laws of physics, general structure and number of spatial dimensions as ours, but there are also infinite universes for every conceivable form of universe that there can be, regardless of form, size, physical laws or number of spatial dimensions.

A "Megaverse", then, is just a cluster of various segments of the multiverse, and the "Omniverse" is just another word for the entire complete multiverse (Type IV Multiverse)

Well, again, that is not what Mark Gruenwald's Omniverse Fanzine or the Marvel handbooks said. Nor is it the "infinite multiverses" definition from Gruenwald's Quasar run.

I think that you are trying to impose personal interpretations on the term, rather than what we have been told.

@Ant

A Type IV Multiverse can still contain virtually every single fictional universe and even a universe analogue to real life in it by virtue of its sheer size. I am not saying that all of fiction is contained within it, but that analogues for most of fiction are.

If you have an infinite multiverse, it's perfectly conceivable that there are universes identical to various movies, books, TV Shows, etc in it. If you have a Type IV Multiverse, then literally the only thing you cannot contain is 1-A things.

Yes, but in Marvel's case, what is intended in the Ultimates comicbook is clearly just the regular type III Marvel multiverse, and you are still imposing standards that were never stated, and assume that different writers always mean the same thing with the term.

Antvasima said:
Yes, but in Marvel's case, what is intended in the Ultimates comicbook is clearly just the regular type III Marvel multiverse, and you are still imposing standards that were never stated, and assume that different writers always mean the same thing with the term.
It clearly isn't just infinite universes. Galactus himself stated that infinite universes is just a tiny fragment of his full perspective, and the comic introduced at least two higher-dimensional spaces.

Also, The Ultimates doesn't exist in a vaccum, if plenty of other storylines write the Marvel Cosmos (Be it Multiverse or Omniverse) as having higher-dimensions, defined to be infinite in number, then the Marvel Multiverse has infinite dimensions.

You can't just say it doesn't. Just like you can't say that the Omniverse doesn't exist.

Yes, no source can agree on a single definition for omniverse that isn't nonsensical.

Anyway, I must go to bed now, but would appreciate if we could close this thread, and focus on more important revisions instead. Thank you.

Why must you always insist that any discussion about the Omniverse be closed abruptly? What do you have against the concept?

A type III multiverse is infinite-dimensional. I have not said that Marvel is not. I am talking about that we cannot reinterpret the omniverse term to mean anything that we wish.

I have something against the hyperbole of the full implications of the original definition, and the hard-to-define muddled unreliability of all other definitions.

I am by no means suggesting we accept the omniverse term\concept. I simply gave my analysis on the topic and wanted to know others opinions. As I stated in the OP in bold, "This is merely putting things in perspective in an unbaised manner. I'm not arguing that we should use the term."

Well, I am extremely firmly against using the term in any way or form, due to the reasons outlined in the Omniverse page.

I would appreciate if you focus on the important projects that you have committed to instead, as we genuinely need help in those areas.

But again, it is very late for me, and I have to go to bed.

The problem is that in insisting that the term is never used, ever, you are inserting your own notions in a form of revisionism, essentially pretending that the term is never used in any fiction, and never was, and that similar concepts have never applied in any fiction.

This is, of course, wrong.

Marvel, Doctor Who, Demon King Daimao, Umineko, Transformers, DC Comics are all stories that have used the term "Omniverse", either to mean what Ven and I are saying, or something else.

I don't quite understand why this is being discussed, it seems to me at least that Ven isn't even arguing for the use of the term, so whatever definition it takes or focuses placed on it seems irrelevant, to say the least.

At least from what I'm getting from this thread.

No, I am saying that it has come to be used by different writers to mean very different things, simply because it sounds cool, and that there is no way to know what is intended without further specifications, as was the case for the Glory in Doctor Who.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Demon King Daimao, Umineko
No. They did not use that term. They just use cosmological concepts that are similar to some definitions of Omniverse.

Also, I sincerely doubt that Umineko and Demon King Daimou have used the term in the original language.

But, I am extremely tired and must go to bed. It would cause very serious problems for the system of our wiki if we start using this term however, so, again, I would greatly appreciate if you would permanently drop the topic, and focus on the Marvel and Sailor Moon revisions that you promised to help out with instead.

VenomElite does not want us to use the term, but Matthew is apparently using the opportunity to do so. Given how tired I am, this is getting annoying at this point.

I would greatly appreciate if we could immediately and permanently close this thread and the overall issue, as this would be a serious breach of our entire system, which is potentially dangerous.

No. I only set my foot down regarding important policy issues, but this topic is getting out of line.

Antvasima said:
It would cause very serious problems for the system of our wiki if we start using this term however, so, again, I would greatly appreciate if you would permanently drop the topic, and focus on the Marvel and Sailor Moon revisions that you promised to help out with instead.
1) This is just paranoia and fear mongering, imo.

2) Ordering people to permanently cease discussion only makes people want to discuss it more

3) Don't order me on what I should be doing, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back