• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
What's everything looking like so far.
Well, its been decided that the Main Avatar Cast (aside from poor Sokka) is 8-B with enough of their respective elements. They seem to be Class M in lifting strength with enough of their elements as well.

2: Katara. We see in this scene from Book 3 that Katara is comparable to Toph in regards to bending. That being said, Katara should be promoted to 8-B as well.

This is one part that I find questionable. That's such a minor use of their bending clashing against each other.

Not all feats of bending are necessarily equal; Aang throwing a boulder through the air is going to be more powerful than him throwing a pebble through the air.

So I don't think there's any strong reason to believe them clashing against each other here in this clip is them seriously throwing 8-B feats at each other.

This is one part that I find questionable. That's such a minor use of their bending clashing against each other.

Not all feats of bending are necessarily equal; Aang throwing a boulder through the air is going to be more powerful than him throwing a pebble through the air.

So I don't think there's any strong reason to believe them clashing against each other here in this clip is them seriously throwing 8-B feats at each other.
True. I wouldn't guess that they're going full power, obviously they aren't. However (forgive me if this sounds stupid), I believe they're using the same amount of power, which is comparable to one another.

I would honestly guess that Katara would be the lowest on the scaling chain because of the bending styles themselves. When it comes to sheer power, earth is meant to be the greatest, fire being second.

It is possible for Benders to put more Chi into smaller objects for more precision strikes. Though, not all bending styles are equal in raw power as some favor versatility over strength with Earth and Air being opposites. Though, that being said, I'm still in support of Katara being 8-B in the long run; while a bit inferior to Toph, she's still a stronger waterbender than base Aang. Aang also admits Earthbending is his weakest link. I will also note that comparing her to Azula is also a bad example since she outsmarted her and trapped her rather than overpower her. Plus she was heavily exhausted and weakened from her fight with Zuko and was only able to win that fight by cheating at the last second.

With Katara and Azula, it is clear that Azula had more power, although you must keep in mind, while she was exhausted and weakened along with being insane, Azula was still enhanced by Sozin's Comet and Katara couldn't use the full power of her bending abilities as the full moon wasn't out. Taking previous feats into account, it's fairly reasonable to assume that without the comet, Katara and Zuko/Azula are even.

In the conclusion of Book 1, "Siege of the North", Zuko infiltrated the Northern Water Tribe, trying to kidnap Aang while his soul was in the spirit world. Zuko and Katara were even, having the advantage with their respective points in time, Katara having the edge under the full moon, and Zuko overpowering her when the sun came out.

The final chapter of Book 2 was one of the most memorable, respected, and well-written episodes of ATLA to ever exist, "Crossroads of Destiny." Within this episode, there is a climactic battle in which Aang and Katara battle Zuko and Azula. In this battle Katara is able to make tentacles made of water around her arms that are able to overpower Azula's blue flames.

After this, Katara has done various things to exercise her bending abilities. She put out a fire caused by a meteor, assisted in the battle against Combustion Man, and most notably proved herself to be a stronger and more capable waterbender than the water and bloodbending master, Hama.

In the final episode of Avatar as a whole, Zuko and Katara confront Azula. After Azula cheats in order to take Zuko out of the picture, she goes after Katara. In part of this confrontation, Azula sends a bolt of lightning at Katara, which she counters with a wall of sorts made of water. Because I'm such an Avatar and powerscaling fanboy, I've looked over that quite a few times. What I come to realize, watching the animation, is that Azula's lightning blast doesn't completely destroy it, but rather, it penetrates a significant portion, and the heat of the lightning causes the wall itself to dissipate.

So yeah. I would say it's fair to assume that Katara has been comparable to the level of Zuko and Azula, and has been for a decent portion of time.

Note: It should also be noted that her powers are somewhat based on her emotions. For example, she inadvertently destroyed (in calculation standards, fragmented) an iceberg in the very first episode out of sheer anger. Or for another example, she first used bloodbending in the conclusion of her fight with Hama out of sheer desperation of stopping her from manipulating Aang and Sokka and killing the avatar.

I think it's pretty common for emotions to enhance the strength of Chi in Avatar in general. And I agree Katara should be Zuko/Azula's equal on a regular basis yes. Or possibly even stronger eventually. Just that she's not quite Sozen's Comet Azula tier normally; though Full Moon water benders are almost as strong as Sozen's Comet firebenders yes.

So what has been accepted and can be applied here?

So what has been accepted and can be applied here?
Aang
Toph
Katara
Zuko
Azula
Ozai
Iroh
Bumi (Forgot to list this one, but yes, it's been shown that he can fight Toph, which is why he's at High 8-C currently)

Those characters should be upgraded to 8-B with bending in Book 3. Aang (Specifically his firebending), Zuko, Azula, Ozai, and Iroh should be "8-B, far higher with Sozin's comet". You could just say higher, but I would probably say far higher because everyone, even Avatar Roku, considered Sozin's Comet to be the turning point of the Hundred Year War, and that if the Fire Nation had access to it, there would be no stopping them.

Okay. That is probably fine to apply then. (As long as there is a calculation as a basis that is.)

Okay. then this should be fine.

Please remember to carefully read through and follow the instructions in our Common Editing Mistakes page, so no badly structured edits are made, and extensive cleanup work will not be necessary.

If you change the statistics for any characters, also remember to update the tier categories at the bottoms of the profile pages.

Back