• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

4th Wall Breaking tries to annex Plot Manip: Plot Manipulation demystification and removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
So after criticizing Plot Manipulation as a power for some months already, I guess it's time to make an actual thread as to why this power has been both useless and wank-ish for too long; and what to do with that.

Given how the vagueness of this ability has lead to each person having to make a bit of their own idea regarding it, I'll try to establish the basis of each part basing myself on what's written on our pages.

In the first part, I'll cover what our Plot Manipulation is with 3 points (covering its definition, "importance" and what grants it); and I'll explain what is the problem with all of it in second part; while giving the last problem + a solution in the third one.

What is Plot Manipulation?​

Our definition​

I think most people here know about it, but let's use our page's (short) summary as a basis to explain it:

"Plot Manipulation is the ability to control the plot itself. Examples include altering the plot, creating/destroying stories, changing speech bubbles, changing the setting, etc. It is a variation of Reality Warping."

Basically, Plot Manipulation is the power to, well, "manipulate the plot". There's no development of what qualifies as said plot, but the common agreement is that it means "manipulating the scenario of the work the characters are in" or "the events of an in-verse lower realm" (Umineko, Magi, etc...)

First problem is that while the former is (most of the time) meta in nature; the second is mere Fate Manipulation with R/F transcendence for the user. It's something I will come back later on.

The examples of this ability are altering the plot (which is the exact same as "control the plot"), creating/destroying stories (create/destroy something with a plot), changing speech bubbles (which is shared with Breaking the Fourth Wall) and changing the setting.

Overall, Plot Manipulation is basically defined by "manipulating something related to stories" (or compared to, as we'll see later).

What is it that makes Plot Manipulation important?​

This one is sadly unwritten, so I'll just use the knowledge I have on it (which should still be pretty reliable, given how I would say I'm one of the most knowledgeable member on anything meta-related).

To most people, what makes Plot Manipulation important and strong is that in a story, everything is inside of its plot; so manipulating the plot is manipulating the highest possible authority in a fictional setting.

If you can erase someone from the narrative, then it's stronger than the other EEs, since they don't erase the character from the story. Same with Plot and Fate Manipulation; changing a character's fate isn't changing the story (it's just a plot twist), so changing the story is much stronger than that.

As such, since what's inside a fictional world can't affect the "plot" (or 4th Wall, as you'll see later on), the plot of a story is deemed more fundamental than the other elements.

What feats give a character Plot Manipulation?​

For this one, I just decided to pick 5 verses among the most known with this ability and will explain the reasonning for their characters' Plot Manipulation:

Instant Death: Some characters have an especially strong "fate value", which makes them favored by Fate and its whims. It has been compared to the characters being protagonists of their own movie.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni: Meta Beings are on the side "that brings about fate", with the Witches who "create fate and play with it" manipulating "the side that gets tossed about by fate"/Human Domain. They see said domain as a mere gameboard.

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou: The users can create worlds outside the main universe, which are fictional because someone created them.

The Unwritten: Everything comes from the world being Leviathan's dream, and that little guy dreams of the stories written by humanity, and whatever he dreams become true.

Homestuck: The concept of "Canon" is an in-verse concept strongly tied to relevance and a specific character's existence. Some characters can create "retcons" which change fate and rewrite causality (being outright compared to a causality-reset device in the latter case). Some other can manipulate/hijack "the narrative", which is mainly a matter of perspective and mind shitz.

Would have liked to include Marvel, SCP or DC, but I either would need to limit myself to one example or expand on the countless ones there is, which would be time-wasting.

The problem with all this​

Alright, here's the complicated part. Now that we have all this, it's time to point out the problems. And since the world isn't that simple, it'll definitely be controversial and people will write big stuff.
So I would ask anyone who intends to make a constructed answer to read this post at least twice, since some of the section's names and what they talk about is usually considered to be a "cheap argument". However it is, in my opinion, the most accurate way to describe the thing with Plot Manipulation and its flaws.

Metaphors and Comparisons​

The first problem can be found in both Instant Death and Umineko: what stands for Plot Manipulation is actually Fate Manipulation, which happens to have a comparison/metaphor based on fiction. The same thing can be found in many other works we have here, such as Magi or Shinza Banshô.

The problem here comes from the fact that what qualifies as "the plot" is unspecified and extended to "anything that is compared to a story's plot/narrative".

What we're calling Plot Manipulation here is just an already-existing ability which has been compared to a fictional example or used in a work with a heavy fiction-based metaphorical theme; so it is already a problem to have an ability that isn't one.

It also works in Unwritten's case, where yes, there's a R/F hierarchy, but everything's based on the fact that they are manipulating a being's dream, not the comics' plot. Or in Homestuck, where anything can be attributed to other abilities we have.

Writing the World​

One of the most famous showing of Plot Manipulation; which I didn't include previously, is the author creating/writing their verse. With author avatars being legion, such as Toribot, Andrew Hussie, The One Above All, The Writer, etc...

However in most cases it is only Creation, and not an actual ability.

Toribot is shown "creating" the verse, but he doesn't control anyone and even meet his future self in the verse (who stopped writing and is homeless iirc). Andrew Hussie is a megalomaniac who was persuaded he would be able to kill Lord English but died despite having been shown to be Homestuck's writer. TOAA, while being the creator of everything, clearly has interactions with the 4 Fantastic and Spiderman in which the characters aren't controlled by his own actions. And in the Writer's case, it is just Fate Manipulation and stuff on different scales, and things happen regardless of their own writing.

They aren't writing the actual plot of their verse, but only displays some abilities (mainly Creation or Fate Manipulation) through their art/a 4th Wall Breaking (see below).
If you think it doesn't have its place here, then you can consider it as part of the "Possible Rebuttals" part.

Equivalence​

This one might be the hardest to properly explain yet is pretty important as to why I'm asking a complete removal of the ability:

Unlike Fate or Luck, what exactly constitutes a "plot/narrative" is verse-dependent. As you can see with the examples above; they all have veery different reasonning as to what makes a plot/narrative/story/whatever.

To give an example of comparison, it would be like having a "Afterlife Manipulation" page. Everyone knows what a Afterlife is and every verse will have some common points between their Afterlives. However it would make no sense to make it an ability, because what an Afterlife exactly entails is entirely up to the verse. It's for similar reasons that abilities such as "Hellfire Manipulation" had been deleted.

There is no reason to keep Plot Manipulation as a power because it does not have some immutable basis like "water is wet in all of fiction unless proven otherwise"; in the same way you can't assume anything about the Afterlife of a piece of work prior to reading it.

And there's the last point that also question its utility as a whole, which is...

4th Wall Breaking​

...Breaking the 4th Wall (btw I propose to rename it "4th Wall Breaking", which is better).

I'll skip the first part of the summary, which is just to explain what the 4th Wall is to begin with, and focus on the wiki-made part: "However, some fictions employ the literary technique of Breaking the Fourth Wall. This includes talking to the audience, affecting the "real world", rewriting speech bubbles, acknowledging that they are part of a fictional world, and even leaving the fictional work itself and entering the "real world" (represented, obviously, by a fictionalized version of the real world)."

First thing to note is that you litteraly find a common ability with Plot Manipulation here, which is to "rewrite speech bubbles". Why there is a distinction between the two abilities doing the exact same thing isn't explained anywhere.

However it is in fact perfectly logical, since there's virtually no difference but the treatment given to them: 4th Wall Breaking is constantly repeated to be something that shouldn't be considered as OP (which is right), while Plot Manipulation is always taken as something much greater than anything else without any real reason.

We even have an entire Reality-Fiction Interaction page meant to developp on how 4th Wall Breaking is a case-by-case thing in each instance; while also giving emphasize on the fact that it's obviously not truly interacting with IRL stuff or the actual story. Plot Manipulation is somehow not included in this despite dealing with the same ideas.

We basically have an entire power which is "Plot Manipulation but we acknowledge that it's just a funny and/or aesthetic thing", which is even explained to not be anything too fantastic. But Plot Manipulation just got where it was through some assumptions that just wandered across threads.

(Also some pages such as this one have the exact same feats used for both abilities. Wasn't part of my argument but might as well throw it here).

Quick Summary​

To sum it up, Plot Manipulation should, in my opinion, be deleted for the following reasons:

-What is defined as "the plot" is vague. While it is mainly considered to be "the verse's plot", some characters gets it from merely manipulating the fates of lower worlds.
-Most of the time the whole "story" bit is a comparison for another power; usually Fate Manipulation.
-What the "story/plot of the verse" exactly entails is a verse-by-verse basis. It's like how things such as the Afterlife, Hellfire, or Aether can be found in several verses, but you wouldn't be able to make an ability out of it because they are just things that are a mix of several abilities based on what the verse decides.
-4th Wall Breaking already covers Plot Manipulation by nature, and the only reason we're not acknowledging it properly is a difference in treatment which has no true basis.
-Plot Manipulation is overall a quirky way to portray some abilities.

Possible Rebuttals​

Some verses treat "narrative" or "story" as its own element, what about them?​

Excluding the ones I previously mentionned + those that would be answered by the other points I made, there are verses where narrative-related stuff are a fundamental part of the verse.

I'll only take Discworld as example, since it's the most blatant one: it possesses "Narrativium"/Narrative Causality as an element, which ensures that things go as in stories.

However once you break it down properly, it is quite easy to see what power it actually corresponds to.

The equivalent of Discworld's Narrativium is Roundworld's (our Earth) law of physics. Roundworld's laws says that water can't catch fire, and Discworld's Narrativium says that the third boy will always succeed. It's all nothing but a set of rules (Law Manipulation), which just have some meta-reflection added to them.

I took this example because it's imo the most concrete and easier to explain. Not all narrative-related stuff are Law Manipulation, but they sure can be put under other abilities.

As to why we should just put them under other abilities, this has been answered in the "Equivalence" section. In the same way a character manipulating the Afterlife or Hellfire would need to have the properties of their verse's Afterlife or Hellfire listed, the same goes for story-related elements.

Our Regeneration page treats being erased from the narrative as one of the deepest kind of erasure possible, what about it?​

Our current Highly-Godly justification says that to qualify, a character has to show "The ability to regenerate after the erasure of body, mind, and soul, along with at least one even more fundamental aspect of a character's existence, such as their place in the narrative [...]"

I would just say that we should remove the "their place in the narrative" and keep the other "fundamental aspect" I cut out from the sentence. If a character gets erased from a verse's narrative, then we should see how the verse treats it.
If the verse treats it as the verse getting erased across all of history, then sure, it qualifies. But it shouldn't be automatically assumed that one means the other.

My Proposal​

My proposal's simple: remove Plot Manipulation from existence, and improve the current Breaking the Fourth Wall page (which should be renamed 4th Wall Breaking) with this new summary:

4th Wall Breaking is the ability to break the Fourth Wall, that is, to interact with elements in a story which are considered out of reach by the characters of a fictional setting by convention; such as the awareness of their own fictionality, the elements of the medium the story is displayed on, or the "script" a work is supposedly meant to follow. Given the visual nature of the power, it is most of the time a portrayal of one or several abilities, such as Mind Reading, Creation or Fate Manipulation.

As a consequence, characters with Plot Manipulation should get it removed, and have their feats moved to their "4th Wall Breaking" part if they have one and do qualify for one (unlike the "manipulating lower worlds" case).

Conclusion​

Overall, you can sum up our current Plot Manipulation as "powers that have been compared to stories or follow rules based on stories".
I think it's meaningless to have such a power, even more when we have been giving it way more credit than deserved.

Let's just make things easier for everyone, and just label the powers for what they are, which is some abilities + 4th Wall breaking in the case of actual meta-story; and most of the time just "some abilities".

Also since I know it obviously is a big deal to try to remove this ability from the wiki entirely, I put it in Staff Discussion and would appreciate if it doesn't get flooded.

And as I already asked earlier: if you're making any kind of big answers, please make sure to read each point you're adressing one at a time. I'm not saying that people can't read, but any misunderstanding that can be prevented will make debates easier.

Last thing: I didn't know where to put Beiloune despite being from such a good game, so let's put it as a bonus example of "I used my powers to emulate a story so people decided that it was a new ability entirely".

Last edited:
I think that some good points are being made here and I would support that conclusion.

I swear to everything I was about to say "But what about Beiloune?" But then I see you mentioned him at the bottom of the OP..

Last thing: I didn't know where to put Beiloune despite being from such a good game, so let's put it as a bonus example of "I used my powers to emulate a story so people decided that it was a new ability entirely"

Though I disagree with saying we assumed his power was a new ability entirely.

I mean, a few points. Manipulating events in a lower realm really can't be classified as fate manipulation, unless it's stated to involve fate... I mean fate manipulation in itself is an extremely vague power, just as much as plot manipulation really...

"To most people, what makes Plot Manipulation important and strong is that in a story, everything is inside of its plot; so manipulating the plot is manipulating the highest possible authority in a fictional setting."
Personally, I wouldn't really agree with the notion that it's necessarily the highest possible authority. However, just like laws, concepts, causality or information, it is one of the possible fundamental aspects of reality a reality can be assumed to have.

That's really misrepresenting things. Umineko plot manip isn't even remotely just about fate and Ichiban doesn't have a universe as fictional just because someone created it.
In Ichiban stories are things like actual dreams or words written on paper in a higher world and Umineko is similar. There's an actual intended difference in reality-ness between them.

The first problem can be found in both Instant Death and Umineko: what stands for Plot Manipulation is actually Fate Manipulation, which happens to have a comparison/metaphor based on fiction.
Yeah, no. Either you're extending the range of effects you think fate manipulation should have to a ridiculous extent, or you don't know Umineko well.
For example: Featherine can literally take the sheet of paper describing the plot of a lower reality and write "XY was killed by something" and XY will have been killed by something. And since she described it just as something, it will not manifest as anything besides "something", since Featherine hasn't decided what it should be yet. It won't have any recognizable properties, as it only exists as far as the plot's description goes.
That's not fate manipulation. You could maybe shoehorn it into some other kind of abstract reality-warping power, but plot manipulation is by far the best description for it.

Generally, when you describe plot as fate manipulation, I have the impression you focus a lot on things like plot armour or writing the future, but forget how plot manip can just as well edit a text after the fact to change the past or the present.

They aren't writing the actual plot of their verse, but only displays some abilities (mainly Creation or Fate Manipulation) through their art/a 4th Wall Breaking (see below).
If you think it doesn't have its place here, then you can consider it as part of the "Possible Rebuttals" part.
And then you have The Old Man of Wandering Mountain, which doesn't break the fourth wall at all and yet is definitely the writer of its verse.

Unlike Fate or Luck, what exactly constitutes a "plot/narrative" is verse-dependent. As you can see with the examples above; they all have veery different reasonning as to what makes a plot/narrative/story/whatever.
In my view it is exactly the opposite. What plot is is very clear between all verses. It is their reality from a metafictional standpoint.
On the other hand what fate is, is incredibly vague. Like, notice how the Fate Manipulation has two types, one fate as probability manipulation and one as causality manipulation? It's already not clear in that department.
In fact, I was involved in the creation of the page and the only reason it was created is that fate is often so vague that it isn't clear whether it only governs probability or something more, making it difficult to say a subtype of which other ability it is. In some verses, fate isn't even considered to exist, which makes sense. Fate is much less fundamental than plot. A story needs a plot of some kind to exist, but it can go without fate.

Why there is a distinction between the two abilities doing the exact same thing isn't explained anywhere.
You can blame a lack of explanation, but there is a pretty intuitive difference IMO that I think most people intuitively knew.

A fourth wall break can be something like talking to the audience and displaying metafictional knowledge. It doesn't necessarily deal with altering the plot at all. So not all fourth wall breaking is plot manipulation.

Other way around, not all plot manipulation is fourth wall breaking, like The Old Man of Wandering Mountain demonstrates. He controls the plot, but in a fashion contained in its stories logical, even if metafictional in nature.

In the first place, the argument doesn't really work. Many abilities can emulate each other when taken to the logical extreme. Law Manipulation could change causality and Causality Manipulation could be used to change laws. Both could also manipulation Information and Information Manipulation could be used to manipulate fate, causality, plot or laws. This doesn't mean the abilities are the same or don't deserve to exist.

So yeah, I strongly disagree with the entire proposal.

Edit: Let me also add that it is a very prevalent ability. We take abilities as separate if many characters have them as a separate thing. I'm pretty sure most verses with plot manip don't actually consider it just fate manip (much less regular fate manip) and there are enough plot manipulators to justify its existence as a separate ability.

Edit 2: Btw. let me say that from the description of Instant Death you gave (and without knowing the verse much), it does sound like a debatable case. A Simple Series characters and Medaka Box characters have similar statements and got supernatural luck for them instead of plot manip. However, that is less a problem with plot manipulation itself, than with people taking metaphors too literal at times.

Last edited:
I mean, a few points. Manipulating events in a lower realm really can't be classified as fate manipulation, unless it's stated to involve fate... I mean fate manipulation in itself is an extremely vague power, just as much as plot manipulation really...

"To most people, what makes Plot Manipulation important and strong is that in a story, everything is inside of its plot; so manipulating the plot is manipulating the highest possible authority in a fictional setting."
Personally, I wouldn't really agree with the notion that it's necessarily the highest possible authority. However, just like laws, concepts, causality or information, it is one of the possible fundamental aspects of reality a reality can be assumed to have.
It really just is verse-specific. Narrativium doesn't hold the same form of importance as Canon does in HS and so on...
That's really misrepresenting things. Umineko plot manip isn't even remotely just about fate and Ichiban doesn't have a universe as fictional just because someone created it.
In Ichiban stories are things like actual dreams or words written on paper in a higher world and Umineko is similar. There's an actual intended difference in reality-ness between them.
Umineko's plot manip is clearly about fate. That's litteraly the reason why Witches in general have plot to begin with. Hell, kakeras are litteraly crystalized fates.

And Ichiban's part is kinda the entire plot of the last two acts. Needless to say, we've had enough threads on Ichiban not to relaunch that specific debate.
Yeah, no. Either you're extending the range of effects you think fate manipulation should have to a ridiculous extent, or you don't know Umineko well.
For example: Featherine can literally take the sheet of paper describing the plot of a lower reality and write "XY was killed by something" and XY will be killed by something. And since she described it just as something, it will not manifest as anything besides "something", since Fetaherine hasn't decided what it should be yet. It won't have any recognizable properties.
That's not fate manipulation. You could maybe shoehorn it into some other kind of abstract reality-warping power, but plot manipulation is by far the best description for it.
It's definitely Fate Manipulation, and the verse just litteraly consider it to be "the ability to create fate".
Featherine's case is simple to put in fate terms "Lambdadelta is fated to get killed by something, however said something will be unspecified". It's basically the same as prophecy shit you can rewrite. Fate is one of those words that Ryushiki07 regularly switch with "writing" like how he does for "Creators" and "Writers".
Generally, when you describe plot as fate manipulation, I have the impression you focus a lot on things like plot armour or writing the future, but forget how plot manip can just as well edit a text after the fact to change the past or the present.
I'm not saying it only is Fate Manipulation, however it is one of the most common ability shown under "Plot Manipulation".
And then you have The Old Man of Wandering Mountain, which doesn't break the fourth wall at all and yet is definitely the writer of its verse.
Which would be an exception here. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the Neverending Story to say anything about him, but he apparently constantly writes everything on loop or something?
In my view it is exactly the opposite. What plot is is very clear between all verses. It is their reality from a metafictional standpoint.
On the other hand what fate is, is incredibly vague. Like, notice how the Fate Manipulation has two types, one fate as probability manipulation and one as causality manipulation? It's already not clear in that department.
In fact, I was involved in the creation of the page and the only reason it was created is that fate is often so vague that it isn't clear whether it only governs probability or something more, making it difficult to say a subtype of which other ability it is. In some verses, fate isn't even considered to exist, which makes sense. Fate is much less fundamental than plot. A story needs a plot of some kind to exist, but it can go without fate.
It is clear from a reader's standpoint. Just like how you can say that it is clear what the Afterlife is. It is the reality after one's life. However it would be ignoring everything that make all these "in-verse plot" so different from each other, the same way all "in-verse Afterlife" aren't the same.

Our current P&A pages are ridiculously bad (which is something currently planned to be greatly improved), and Fate Manipulation is one of them. I wouldn't say we should use the bad quality of one page to justify another's.

And Fate is way more acknowledged than plot by a verse. The only way you can see it that way is by taking your view as a reader of what a plot is in real life, not how the verse treats "plot" as an in-verse element.
You can blame a lack of explanation, but there is a pretty intuitive difference IMO that I think most people intuitively knew.

A fourth wall break can be something like talking to the audience and displaying metafictional knowledge. It doesn't necessarily deal with altering the plot at all. So not all fourth wall breaking is plot manipulation.

Other way around, not all plot manipulation is fourth wall breaking, like The Old Man of Wandering Mountain demonstrates. He controls the plot, but in a fashion contained in its stories logical, even if metafictional in nature.

In the first place, the argument doesn't really work. Many abilities can emulate each other when taken to the logical extreme. Law Manipulation could change causality and Causality Manipulation could be used to change laws. Both could also manipulation Information and Information Manipulation could be used to manipulate fate, causality, plot or laws. This doesn't mean the abilities are the same or don't deserve to exist.
Except the Old Man of Wandering Mountain is just one example which is totally different from many other examples, all different from one another. You can just label it as Creation or something similar to the First Box of "The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria". Or even as a similar case to Beiloune.

Having one of your ability portrayed through a medium such as writing/painting/whatever or have some meta attached to it isn't enough to make it its own separated power, given how it adds nothing.

You litteraly have mere comparisons (Instant Death), non-metafictional cases despite being all about being metafictional, and actual metafiction. There's no ground as to what truly defines "Plot Manipulation".

And while it is true that some abilities can lead to others, it isn't the case at all with Plot Manipulation. It is just any other ability but done through litteral writing or writing/fiction metaphors half the time.

Overall, having something like Plot Manipulation opens the door to re-allowing Hellfire Manipulation, Logic Manipulation (since every fiction has a logic, same way "every fiction has a plot") or the "Afterlife Manipulation" example I've been giving.
All these instances are not related, work on a mechanism that is specific to their verse and has its own inner rules (except when it's litteraly just a comparison, which might be half of the time we label something Plot Manip).

So I stand by my point: Plot Manipulation being a page we created is a mistake in the first place.

With the permission of DDM I decided to make a response to this. Initially, I hold similar thoughts with DontTalkDT, but I'd like to cover it individually as well to give my interpretation.

I don't primarily have a problem with it being some form of higher fate manipulation. But let's take a look at this specific example
The first problem can be found in both Instant Death and Umineko: what stands for Plot Manipulation is actually Fate Manipulation, which happens to have a comparison/metaphor based on fiction. The same thing can be found in many other works we have here, such as Magi or Shinza Banshô.
In regard to Umineko, it being simply "fate manipulation" is completely wrong in every way. There are these two scans in the battle of lambdadelta that express how it isn't just "the outcome of an event probabilistically" but the fact the world is made of 'words and letters', in which existence is explicitly a book.
the verse just litteraly consider it to be "the ability to create fate".
It's not just acknowledged as fate, in TRI-anthology, there's the infamous scan of associating kakera with a manga. And in higurashi it's again likened to a book. But since I know these are similes. Let's take a look at Umineko again, the concept of fate (outcome of an event) is recognized as something different then the making of a tale. Oh and let's not forget this for Featherine.

Just to briefly support my argument I'll bring up the verses you didn't since those are probably more prevalent then Homestuck or Instant Death. Note that I entirely agree in some cases they are metaphorical, such as certain flowery passages in Shinza banshou, but not always.

For a blatant example in the very SCP upgrade thread (the first two spoiler texts), a narrative is different and on a higher level than a "fate" or simple "reality-warping" for that matter. They are stories in themselves built on the same "words and letters" to constitute a story.

In marvel, TOAA sees creation as "characters" that are drawn and quite literally have their "story" being written, proving that basic fate and reality warping is on a lower level then the "narrative" of the verse.

And now... for your overall proposal I think instead of removing Plot manipulation as a whole, why don't we make a few fixes to it because it's already listed as one of the types of reality warping it virtually makes no sense to EE it when it's something that should be explained case by case then just "removing it from X because it's like fate manipulation and reality warping put together" I think we should explain it something like this:
Plot Manipulation is the ability to manipulate the script in which a world can be built on. Similarly, to 4th Wall breaking, it is the power that notates the reality in which the character exists in, is fictional, and thus can change the setting of the narrative, change or rewrite speech bubbles, and affect the story in a manner that dictates the boundary between fictional and reality.
Or something like that. Overall, I disagree with removing it outright, because a number of verses could or don't appeal to the current definition, but simply because it is flawed shouldn’t qualify for getting rid of it, that's redundant, the approach should be instead, to check which characters actually use plot manipulation to the standard without flowery language and metaphorical contexts.

Last edited:
Disagree for reasons Don'tTalkDT said.

Don't forget that the plot of a story is literally it's reality, everything that happens is part of the plot. OP is splitting hairs and using sophistry by arguing that it's just fate and going against the very plane meaning of the word. check definition #3.

As for Umineko, reality is most certainly plot and metaphorical.

"Great witches who live on a far, far higher plane than we do are hardly any different from a Creator or God. From their perspective, our little tale is worth little more than a single book, if that."

From the theatergoer's perspective, our individual lives are hardly worth anything at all. If they're writing down an entire world in a single volume, then my life probably isn't even worth a single line.

Witches view everything as stories and this is very plainly stated and shown. That's not how Umineko works. Hard disagree on all levels.

Know what?

I hate these threads.

But Yuri, I absolutely, 100%, without argument, agree. Plot Manip is a dumb power, fitted with the trappings of other powers and proclaimed to be more powerful than them for no damn good reason. List it as 4th Wall Breaking because that is the only consistent feature. Each verse's individual abilities that happen to result from Plot Manip as we have it now can be documented still, of course. Right now that shit's easy to misunderstand.

Full support for the thread. Go ham.

Alright, time to answer (will make a second comment for Doge)
That's like saying all powers are derivative of Reality Warping. Just because it does the same thing on paper, doesn't mean it isn't something different on principle.
I would say it's not the case at all. Here there's no difference in principle, only in aesthetic.

Take the concept of Ether/Aether. It's pretty common in fiction, and its basis as an energy at the origin of stuff is often shared. However we wouldn't have an "Aether Manipulation" page.

The reason is that while they aren't 100% different; every verse has its own take on it and what you can do with that. And that is in spite of Ether having a clear definition.

Plot Manipulation isn't changing anything; it's just a matter of portrayal/aesthetic; which is even more obvious when you take the fact that any ability that has been compared to a story element grants you the power.

Don't forget that the plot of a story is literally it's reality, everything that happens is part of the plot. OP is splitting hairs and using sophistry by arguing that it's just fate and going against the very plane meaning of the word. check definition #3.
I never said it was just fate. What you've said is already answered in the "Equivalence" point as well. I could say the same for my previous Aether example or my other Afterlife and Hellfire example.

Plot Manipulation obviously isn't manipulating the actual plot of a story, like how 4th Wall Breaking isn't real. We're just giving it to any ability that has a fiction comparison.
As for Umineko, reality is most certainly plot and metaphorical.

"Great witches who live on a far, far higher plane than we do are hardly any different from a Creator or God. From their perspective, our little tale is worth little more than a single book, if that."

From the theatergoer's perspective, our individual lives are hardly worth anything at all. If they're writing down an entire world in a single volume, then my life probably isn't even worth a single line.

Witches view everything as stories and this is very plainly stated and shown. That's not how Umineko works. Hard disagree on all levels.
Answered in the "Comparison" point.

From their perspective, our little tale is worth little more than a single book, if that."
From the theatergoer's perspective, our individual lives are hardly worth anything at all.

What you're talking about isn't the cosmological working of the verse; which is stated to run on fate in the story part that litteraly gives us the biggest cosmology elements (
You're only pointing the visual representation of it; not an actual different thing. Which is also why Ryushiki07 often balances between "Creator" and "Writer" as names.

Oh, and Battler calls all of Umineko (in-verse Umineko) "fate" when he explains to Ange how her going through the door would end the tale.

That's like saying all powers are derivative of Reality Warping. Just because it does the same thing on paper, doesn't mean it isn't something different on principle.
I mean. Plot Manip is generally, as we currently consider it, literally Reality Warping with extra steps.

In regard to Umineko, it being simply "fate manipulation" is completely wrong in every way. There are these two scans in the battle of lambdadelta that express how it isn't just "the outcome of an event probabilistically" but the fact the world is made of 'words and letters', in which existence is explicitly a book.
Which comes back to the "Comparison" point. What you're showing her is how this power is portrayed. As shown in the OP, Creators create all of existence through creating "fate", which is done through writing ("the power of creation").
It's not just acknowledged as fate, in TRI-anthology, there's the infamous scan of associating kakera with a manga. And in higurashi it's again likened to a book. But since I know these are similes.
Which is litteraly stated to just be the perspective of a higher-layered being.
"To me, they are on a level that is no different from [...]"
"I think of these as [...]"

TRI-anthology in fact helps to confirm my point, since she first gives a fact as to what they are (alt worlds, fates, possibilities), before expressing the representation witches have of them.
It further the idea that Plot Manipulation is nothing but aesthetic/representation, not a question of what the power actually is.
Let's take a look at Umineko again, the concept of fate (outcome of an event) is recognized as something different then the making of a tale.
Well, it actually isn't.

The Catbox is considered to be able to generate "infinite tales"; but we are directly shown in manga ep 8 that those "tales" are the infinite kakeras (litteral fates, possibilities n coe) that make up said Catbox.

The fact that tales in general are just the product of one or several fragments also basically makes the two unseparable.

And our trustworthy lore-feeder, Memoirs of Lambdadelta, also establish them as inherently connected; which is in the same thing where she explains the nature of a Creator's power and stuff.
Oh and let's not forget this for Featherine.

This one is just part of the "infinite power of creation" Creators have. I know I used Fate Manipulation as an example a lot (since it's the most mistaken); but I didn't say it was limited to this.

If you removed Featherine's Plot Manipulation; she would just get the same stuff as Fate Manip, EE, (limited) Time Stop and Creation.
Just to briefly support my argument I'll bring up the verses you didn't since those are probably more prevalent then Homestuck or Instant Death. Note that I entirely agree in some cases they are metaphorical, such as certain flowery passages in Shinza banshou, but not always.
Some cases being metaphorical isn't my entire thing actually. I mean sure, I happened to fall on a bunch of metaphorical such as Instant Death; but I purposedly chose Homestuck, Discworld and Author Avatars as later example to explain how even what you would consider the most direct form of Plot Manipulation still has no reason to be.
For a blatant example in the very SCP upgrade thread (the first two spoiler texts), a narrative is different and on a higher level than a "fate" or simple "reality-warping" for that matter. They are stories in themselves built on the same "words and letters" to constitute a story.
Eh. I would like to complain about using SCP of all verse (given how it is imo still nothing but glorified fanfic database and I dislike reading about it); but might as well adress it.

The case you brought here is actually veery similar to what I explained regarding Discworld's Narrativium in the OP.

"Protagonists have anomalously-high narrative potential, which means that they often end up being, well, protagonists. Heroes of their own stories, free to act upon the narrative structures around them. Members of royalty, heroes from folklore — it's a form of low-level reality-bending."

Place gestures towards himself and his lunchmate. "You and I, on the other hand, are archetypicals. We have anomalously-low narrative potential, and so the narrative structures of the universe act upon us, instead, shaping our lives in ways that end up being good for other nearby stories. This means we have a tendency to be side-characters and fall into common archetypes. I'm a mad-scientist archetype, for example. I kind-of wear it on my sleeve."

The first spoiler basically tells us the following: In Pataphysics people are affected in three ways: 1)They are normies who aren't relevant 2)They are important beings that affect the world around them (Protagonists), which is a form of reality-bending 3) Archetypals are those who are made to fit an archetype, which I could easily label as some form of Law Manipulation or maybe even Mind Manipulation (Discworld also has a similar thing as part of the Narrativium).

And it is repeated to be again a "low-level reality bending" in the second spoiler.

"Most people aren't interesting enough to show up in these 'stories'. However, people with above-average protagonism are able to react independently to these stories and make their own decisions. They shape the story-structures to fit their own narrative, and so we call them 'protagonists' — literally the main characters in their own stories. As I explained to Blank a while ago, it's a form of low-level reality-bending."

In fact, the more I read, the more it strengthens the argument I've made regarding the 1st possible rebuttal. I don't see anything that would make SCP unable to fit other abilities; nor any reason why they shouldn't.

It's a perfectly understandable case of "R/F Transcendent being influence the lower world, and some lower world guys can do shit in response to that".

It's pretty interesting though, so thanks for bringing it up. It allows to developp a point without repeating myself.
In marvel, TOAA sees creation as "characters" that are drawn and quite literally have their "story" being written, proving that basic fate and reality warping is on a lower level then the "narrative" of the verse.
I actually already adressed TOAA in the OP. It is Creation and potent RW with 4th Wall added to it (otherwise the 4 fantastics wouldn't be able to talk with him since he wasn't writing their conversation but working on something else entirely; or he wouldn't have "trouble" with Peter Parker for instance).
And now... for your overall proposal I think instead of removing Plot manipulation as a whole, why don't we make a few fixes to it because it's already listed as one of the types of reality warping it virtually makes no sense to EE it when it's something that should be explained case by case then just "removing it from X because it's like fate manipulation and reality warping put together"
Well, while I would usually be for it for other abilities, I think the thing here is a bit different since it's not just "some stuff can do the same thing".

There's no reason to keep Plot Manipulation. It isn't treated the same way at all from verse to verse, is a random mix of abilities and context, and there's no actual reason to keep it besides maybe "tradition" (which would be a bad reason to do so).

It's not only a problem of the ability, it's the fact that it isn't a consistent thing like, let's say, Fire Manipulation.

It's a verse-by-verse structure like how you can't make "Planet Manipulation", "Afterlife Manipulation", "Spiritual World Manipulation" things since while they all have shared attributes, they'll never be the same.
I think we should explain it something like this:
Plot Manipulation is the ability to manipulate the script in which a world can be built on. Similarly, to 4th Wall breaking, it is the power that notates the reality in which the character exists in, is fictional, and thus can change the setting of the narrative, change or rewrite speech bubbles, and affect the story in a manner that dictates the boundary between fictional and reality.

Or something like that. Overall, I disagree with removing it outright, because a number of verses could or don't appeal to the current definition, but simply because it is flawed shouldn’t qualify for getting rid of it, that's redundant, the approach should be instead, to check which characters actually use plot manipulation to the standard without flowery language and metaphorical contexts.
The problem is that we actually have rules on 4th Wall Breaking to explain how it is an aesthetic thing more than anything. Comparing the two would bring the difference in treatment they are given to light even more.
And the page you link is basically a "why we shouldn't treat it as something special", so it wouldn't go well for a page which is meant to explain why it is its own thing.

I'm glad you're proposing stuff like that though. I just think it doesn't take into account the full problem. Trying to fit different verse-specific structures/concepts under a single ability just wouldn't work, since it would only solve part of the problem and fail to draw a definite line.

Also I just fail to see why we should have it as its own thing to begin with. It's a portrayal of other abilities, just like how we do with 4th Wall Breaking already. Someone reading a character's thoughts by reading the text gets "4th Wall Breaking, Mind Reading (blabla read)"; so why wouldn't erasing someone from the plot just be "4th Wall Breaking, Existence Erasure"? I feel a lack of basis as to why a line has to be drawn.

On 4th Wall Breaking's odd name, "4th Wall Awareness" links to the page and that's the one I use as it's the most known one and more accurate, as you only need to be aware of the 4th wall to have the power, not "break" it by looking at it or talking about it, if then showing to be aware of it is kinda the same as breaking it, but still. I believe it shoud mainly be named 4th Wall Awareness.

I wouldn't mind nuking it or listing it as an advanced form of reality-warping. Listing it under fate manip works too.

On 4th Wall Breaking's odd name, "4th Wall Awareness" links to the page and that's the one I use as it's the most known one and more accurate, as you only need to be aware of the 4th wall to have the power, not "break" it by looking at it or talking about it, if then showing to be aware of it is kinda the same as breaking it, but still. I believe it shoud mainly be named 4th Wall Awareness.
I would rather say that Awareness is just a part of 4th Wall Breaking, but shouldn't be the page's name.

"Breaking the 4th Wall" is already the "official" coined term for it and was at first used for awareness; so keeping it as "4th Wall Breaking" sounds more logic to me.

It also works better with cases like characters getting hit against the "camera" of the verse (ex: Mario 4th Wall Breaking) or affecting a part of page's cass without it getting especially acknowledged by the characters.

On a side note: what's your opinion on the OP in general?

I was going to agree on Plot Manip getting removed but then saw comments against it that I don't see myself getting time to read so...sadly I can't say.

Fire and Water manipulation are derived from elemental manipulation, and elemental manipulation is derived from telekinesis; and pretty much every superpower that isn't derived from reality warping is derived from energy manipulation. So I don't really see what the big deal is and still disagree with it.

Personally I think the big deal is spelled out fairly well in the OP- nobody has any confusion on the applications of fire manip, whereas what Plot Manip even fundamentally is varied extremely from verse to verse, thus leading to misconceptions and confusions. The ability is another ability with extra trappings, and serves no purpose to clarify anything except that said abilities are somewhat meta- almost as if they break the 4th wall. Thus I don't see it as anywhere near comparable to Fire Manip.

also plenty of verses have fire manip without considering it a fundamental element or anything like that, so I wouldn't consider it or any other ability a derivative of elemental manip in the same sense as plot manip is derivative of the abilities mentioned above

Last edited:
We can expand on and clarify the definitions if necessary, but plot manipulation is definitely a specific and distinctive intrinsic part of several prominent verses, and I don't want us to leave a big hole in our power definitions that is not sufficiently satisfied by the available alternatives.

I don’t exactly see how we can count something like rewriting the narrative of a book you’re inside of as reality warping or fate manipulation as that’s way to distinct from one or the other.

We can expand on and clarify the definitions if necessary, but plot manipulation is definitely a specific and distinctive intrinsic part of several prominent verses, and I don't want us to leave a big hole in our power definitions that is not sufficiently satisfied by the available alternatives.
Except it isn't a hole. Plot Manipulation has always been unecessary to begin with.

It's only real use is to hide anything under the first metaphor you can find and call it a day; regardless of its usefulness.

To take a similar example once again:

The Afterlife is "definitely a specific and distinctive intrinsic part of several prominent verses, " yet we don't have Afterlife Manipulation.

The reason being simple: it isn't an universal thing like fire. It is a verse-by-verse interpretation of a particular idea.

I don’t exactly see how we can count something like rewriting the narrative of a book you’re inside of as reality warping or fate manipulation as that’s way to distinct from one or the other.
The same way we do for everything else.
If you change how the book was supposed to end, then you're changing fate.

Stuff like The Triforce or Eyes of Heaven Jotaro both do it perfectly with their RW and fate powers.

You’re not merely changing fate, you’re changing the entire narrative, also the Triforce isn’t really a good comparison when it’s merely a wish grant tool and not a rewriting fate tool.

Also, to break the 4th wall is to interact with the readers of a story, without necessarily having additional powers (such as Deadpool), whereas plot manipulation is to have varying degrees of author authority over the setting that you are present within (such as Featherine). They are not the same thing.

Also, to break the 4th wall is to interact with the readers of a story, without necessarily having additional powers (such as Deadpool), whereas plot manipulation is to have varying degrees of author authority over the setting that you are present within (such as Featherine). They are not the same thing.
That is straight up wrong.
Sure, 4th Wall Breaking can be limited to awareness, but what matters is that it isn't just that.

However what you've just defined for Plot Manipulation is litteraly something the entire OP and half the examples have countered already. The vast majority of profiles with this ability don't fit the definition you gave at all.

Besides, Featherine isn't the only one with Plot Manipulation in Umineko. Every Meta-Beings currently have it. And no one manipulated the setting they inhabit, only worlds that exist below them (Featherine included).

"Author Authority" doesn't have much meaning if you don't define what it is or how it doesn't fall under mere 4th Wall Breaking.
So yes, they are the same. and I'm tired of pretending they aren't.

Last edited:
You’re not merely changing fate, you’re changing the entire narrative, also the Triforce isn’t really a good comparison when it’s merely a wish grant tool and not a rewriting fate tool.
You aren't explaining the difference there. You're just saying it is without a "why".

Everything "narrative-related" is verse-specific. Canon isn't the same in Homestuck as in Marvel; nor does "being a protagonist" for SCP and the Fujitakaverse.

It can take the form of rules (Law Manipulation), a course of events (Fate), etc...

But there is nothing unique to it, and it isn't universal.

The "Narrative" you're seeking is as ever changing as what "The Afterlife" means. These two cases are no different and yet we obviously wouldn't allow the latter, the only difference being that it doesn't appeal to tradition.

In fact we aren't even consistent in our inconsistence, given how things which are labelled as Plot Manipulation aren't for some characters who have a power directly tied to stories.

Being immersed in a setting with actualLy living sapient beings and controlling it in a similar manner to how an author controls a story that is fully make-believe without any such features, is sufficiently distinctive from regular reality warping, or interacting with an audience via 4th wall breaking, to warrant a separate powers page in my view, even if we may have to expand on the definitions for it, but I have too many ongoing tasks to handle to argue extensively about it.

Would you be willing to help out further here, @DontTalkDT ?

Being immersed in a setting with actually living sapient beings and controlling it in a similar manner to how an author controls a story that is fully make-believe without any such features, is sufficiently distinctive from regular reality warping, or interacting with an audience via 4th wall breaking, to warrant a separate powers page in my view, even if we may have to expand on the definitions for it, but I have too many ongoing tasks to handle to argue extensively about it.
Except you aren't explaining HOW it is different.

You litteraly just proved how it is a mere portrayal of already existing abilities through your wording ("in a similar manner to how an author control a story"), and not its own ability.

I don't mind seeing counter arguments, but here it really just repeat something answered in the OP since the very beginning.

Plot manipulation has a similar end result to reality warping, but is using a different principle. The latter can be achieved through, for example, sufficiently advanced control over the elemental building blocks of reality and/or the laws of physics within a system, whereas the former directly affects the entire narrative, and does not have to work with rebuilding what is already there, it can potentially change the entire system itself without restraints if it so wishes.

As such, given that we feature other abilities that are either similar or sub-categories of each other, and plot manipulation is a major (no pun intended) plot point in some relevant works featured in our wiki, I would much prefer to keep it, or at worst make it into an explicitly specified sub-type of reality warping.

Being immersed in a setting with actualLy living sapient beings and controlling it in a similar manner to how an author controls a story that is fully make-believe without any such features, is sufficiently distinctive from regular reality warping, or interacting with an audience via 4th wall breaking, to warrant a separate powers page in my view, even if we may have to expand on the definitions for it, but I have too many ongoing tasks to handle to argue extensively about it.
The only difference I can see here is portrayal of the powers. Both are in a setting with sapient individuals and can control it as an author can i.e. with little to no limits on it.

Anyway, QuasiYuri seems to be making sense to me. I wouldn't mind it being reworked to be more concise but it does seem a bit to nebulous to stay imo.

Plot manipulation has a similar end result to reality warping, but is using a different principle. The latter can be achieved through, for example, sufficiently advanced control over the elemental building blocks of reality and/or the laws of physics within a system, whereas the former directly affects the entire narrative, and does not have to work with rebuilding what is already there, it can potentially change the entire system itself without restraints if it so wishes.
Which is once again wrong.

Most of the Plot Manipulation don't work that way, which is something I dedicated several sections to.
They are usually in-verse laws, concepts, etc... even in the most meta cases; while only being "doing stuff as if it was a story" in most of the others.

Plot Manipulation sometimes doesn't have to include Creation, just like how RW doesn't have to include it either. I don't know where you got this "have to work with rebuilding" or "no restraints" idea to begin with.

Overall, there's still no difference. Narrative is part of the building blocks of reality and/or laws within a work. It's just a verse-specific added elements like energies such as Chakra, Ki, Aether, Hellfire etc... or structures such as The Afterlife, Heaven, Hell, Mirror Realms, etc... which can't have its own page.
As such, given that we feature other abilities that are either similar or sub-categories of each other, and plot manipulation is a major (no pun intended) plot point in some relevant works featured in our wiki, I would much prefer to keep it, or at worst make it into an explicitly specified sub-type of reality warping.
It still fails to address the elephant in the room.

Plot Manipulation/Narrative-related stuff don't have a common basis. The examples I gave beyond are just as important in tons of verses, but we can't have Afterlife/Heaven/Aether/Hellfire Manipulation because there's nothing common enough for it. It is the exact same in this case.

Couldn't we just set up some better rules for what qualifies for plot manipulation compared to reality warping then, or at the very least use the former as a specific sub-type for the latter?

Controlling Fate is a lot of the times, much much more specific considering in fiction it's dictated by sentient beings and what their destiny is. Rewriting the Plot is a lot more meta than just controlling Fate as it's just having the say on what goes and what doesn't go and a lot of the times is not limited to just certain individuals. Especially when you have characters who blatantly write the entire script of a story which isn't the same abilities as other characters in the story which can grant one's wish or determine someone's fate.

Couldn't we just set up some better rules for what qualifies for plot manipulation compared to reality warping then, or at the very least use the former as a specific sub-type for the latter?
I don't think it would solve the problem.

I mean the difference with Reality Warping is that there's either 4th Wall stuff involved or that there's been a comparison to a fictional elemental/that it has been portrayed similarly.

And the aforementionned problem of it being verse-specific makes the whole thing impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back