• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

25 things I dislike about VS debating (and VSB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
Thought it would be fun to do a 25 things I dislike abt VS debating/VSB (thought of doing more but meh, lazy).
Don't have any real enmity for the mentionned verses or those who follow x thing I disagree with, just wanted to use examples.
Btw it's just me saying stuff, not debating or asking for changes.

1) A lot of abilities' distinction feel useless. For instance: AE, Non-Corporeal and NEP could easily fit as types in a single page (Intangible Existence or whatev).
Morality Manipulation is just limited Mind Manipulation. Retrocognition, Precognition, and Clairvoyance could easily just be a single page since they are 3 types of one thing in "real life" mystic shit.
Subjective Reality is just a portrayal of other abilities (mainly EE and Creation). Time Stop as a type for Time Manip. Also I guess Zero-Dimensionality could just be the lowest kind of Small Size rather than its own page?

2) Some abilities pages are really barebone. I mean, sure, Fire doesn't need a full wikipedia article on how it works. But having some uses could be neat.
And it would be really useful for more complex abilities and distinctions, like Fate/Proba manip or (Social) Influencing.

3) Some abilities are not only unecessary but just wank-ish for no reason. Mainly Transduality (everything besides type 1 is technically done with a random transcendence, and type 1 is mostly just Resistance anyway);
Beyond Dimensional Existence, which is even more useless since one is mostly just Acausality and the second is just being a space-time based tier 1.
Then you have type 5 Acausality, which is type 4 acausality except we try to act like it's a super secret cheat type because we need OP high tiers.

4) Intangiblity as it is sucks. You have Non-Corporeal, Phasing, just going to another plane (Spatial), and Elemental Intangibility (which I call "Fluid Physiology" since that's the most accurate thing + it applies to non-elemental stuff too) all in a single page.
Non-Corporeal is already its own page, so no need for it to be a type in another. Spatial is basically just some form of dimensional travel with the ability to let an illusion of yourself be here (latter depends).
Phasing is its own ability and deserves its own page. And the Elemental one would just be a "Fluid Physiology" page like this https://simple-vs-battles-rules.fandom.com/wiki/Fluid_Physiology

5) Regeneration is kinda bad for anything in Godly. It assumes that regenerating "from" the soul is above any physical regeneration while it is just a different thing entirely.
The best thing would be for Regeneration to go from High to a single "Godly" which would be "the ability to regenerate from the complete erasure of the body".
And have Spiritual and Core/Conceptual/Whatever have their own category with the whole Low/Mid/High up to Godly.
As such, we would have things like Regeneration (Physical. Mid, regenerated from decapitation. Spiritual. Low-Mid regenerated from having their soul cut in half.)

6) The current TS is mainly accepted as based on infinities and IRL theories to make it accurate. Then you see Speed beyond Infinite.
You get the most headcanon-ish notions of Immeasurable, Irrelevant and (although not on this wiki or considered as Infinite although wrong) Inacessible speed.
One is glorified Time Travel, one is whateveryouwantreally and the other is a misunderstanding of what "0 time" means in the Speed equation, but they sure aren't based on anything but the debaters' own inventions.
At best I guess one could make higher than Infinite stuff by using Uncountable Infinity and so on but it's not really that necessary.

7) Talking about the TS, while it tries to distance itself from being dimension-based, way too many people still cling to them like it's the fact that they are dimensions that matter and not the portrayed transcendence shown in-verse.

8) Alephs also are the new Platonic Concept in term of misuse. Now that they were mentionned to explain higher infinities, everyone is an Aleph expert who can swear that numbers by themselves grant tier and don't depend of what they apply to.

9) On the subject of mathematics: current TS just overcomplicate things for absolutely nothing. Most people don't even understand what's written in it, authors included. And there's litteraly no need to make it THAT complicated.
It's really just restrective and not the best way of handling tiers either.

10) The unequal requirements for tier 1. You can get it by having a space encompassing a tier 2 one, infinite diff with a tier 2 one, being said to transcend tier 2 structure's space and time or seeing tier 2 one as fiction (illusion, dream, piece of written fiction, game).
All of these clearly aren't equal to one another, but that's just ignored to give you the tier. Basically a lack of consistency.

11) The distinction made between 3-A and Low 2-C requirements is ignored for 2-C and above. Now you magically don't have to prove that the space-time is destroyed, we'll just assume it is because you destroyed more than one universe.
The main argument to defend it is that the attack usually have to cross space-times to reach the other universe.
Problem is: 1) A guy can just make two universes go boom at the same time without an omnidirectional blast 2)You can cross universes without being able to damage Time or space-time.
Overall just another inconsistency

12) Tiers between 10-B and 3-A have very vague description with no comparison given.
For example: Planet level - "Characters who can create/destroy a planet." Sure, but there's a lot of planets, and we're told that there are "small" and "large" planets.
So what's the baseline for a "planet"? Earth? Why not just write "characters who can create/destroy a planet at least comparable in mass to the Earth"?
Same for town, city, etc...

13) This one a bit minor, but tier 11 should have similar description to Low 1-C/1-C since they work under the same logic.

14) No Limit Fallacy just doesn't exist. It was invented for VS debatting. And like all invented things, it is misused most of the time it is brought up.
It's mostly used to justify a character with no Resistance no-selling a hax without feats, because "it is NLF". An example I saw is "his death manip only killed a pack of wolves and fodder humans, it's NLF to say it can kill [insert x living being with no Resistance]"
There's already existing fallacies that can be used to show the flaw in such an argument, but inventing one isn't the way to go.

15) Inconsistencies, PIS and Outliers (besides having two different pages for nothing) are often misused. Might as well just call it "long running series are problematic".
PIS is just a reason for Inconsistencies, and Outliers just are a kind of Inconsistencies. In theory this can be used to prevent ridiculous wank or lowball.
But in practice they are just here to try to limit specific characters (Master Roshi's Moon level feat in the past) who are at a tier for a single feat in spite of countless characters being high tier for having a guy perform a single feat.

16) Scaling chains which are circular or only lead to the guy who perform the initial feat after 5 minutes are shit. It's annoying, doesn't help anyone, and its only possible use would be if it hides a feat which has a flaw.
Same for baseless "Should be comparable to" just because both guys are in the same party or participated in the same event.

17) People forgetting that characters have a personality sometimes. Not cool.

18) While most understand Omnipotence as the hyperbole it is, Omniscience and Omnipresence often aren't considered in relationship to their scale.
Like, if your Omniscience was shown to be on a single timeline, it shouldn't be assumed that it works on a great multiversal odyssey.

19) Canon's treatment is so random and lacks definite rules to recognize it despite a big page on the subject existing.
You'll find stuff like Discworld having the definitely canon Science of Discworld novel series not considered usable for the verse's cosmology just because there's a section dedicated to explain scientific stuff despite the events and in-verse explanations themselves being fully canon.
On the other hand, you'll find spin-off with vastly different cosmologies, character roles, etc... with little to no proof of canonicity being treated as such, with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon as the prime example.
Then you have crossovers which are their own can of worm.

20) Calcs somehow not falling under the inconsistency rule unless it gives you thirty more tiers. Otherwise, even if your verse is mostly wall level and treat city level stuff as nukes, you'll get everyone and their grandmother at city because a calc said so.
The same works for speed/durability/etc... with some verses being famous for the calc not fitting with the feat or coherence of the verse.
Calculations only and only should be tools which help to solidify a clear feat in a verse.
After all calculations are a fan interpretation of art rather than a verse fact. If your city nuking feat gets Country level through calcs and the guy who did it later struggles against a mountain being thrown at him; it's not the work which is at fault.

21) People just give too much attention to OP characters/tiers. Not only are lower tiered dudes rarely seen in VS debating in general, but people will
do anything to get you to accept their High Outerversal Goku and infinite layers into Boundless Rimuru.

22) "Gosh, the OP stuff mostly come from obscure works and notions only two person read? What a fun world we live in."
Basically, you'll find verses (or notions) somehow claimed to be "part of the strongest thing in existence" by everyone.
Then you read the work, and find that x feat used is actually out of context. Or that x thing is misinterpreted. Or that x character doesn't even exist in the work.
And the main reason obscure stuff are OP becomes mystery; it's just easier to wank works nobody cares about.

23) On the subject of "works nobody cares about". Half of what you'll hear comes from more hearsay than those that come out of Amber Heart's lawyer.
"This verse's top 100 in existence, I read it on some wiki and a friend who knows stuff told me so" is far from a rare occurence.
People just don't want to read bad stories, but they want to know strong characters, so hearsay's become the best compromise.

24) And the best way to get hearsay is foreign languages. Japanese is not a language with its metaphors, litterature, etc...; it's ancient mystical scriptures which hold the truth of the universe within.
Using words with 次元 in it being the first example I can think of when it comes to trying to use the japanese.
Even worse is when people flat out decide that "this/these translator(s) didn't do their job well, I have the truth" and end up making mistakes at best, or headcanon rewritting at worse.
This general mistrust of people who translate for a living and one's own ignorance are the two main reasons why you get ridiculous interpretations of a work based on pseudo-knowledge of a language.

25) People don't agree with everything I say. It makes me sad. Stop having opinions. Thank you.

8) Alephs also are the new Platonic Concept in term of misuse. Now that they were mentionned to explain higher infinities, everyone is an Aleph expert who can swear that numbers by themselves grant tier and don't depend of what they apply to.

At best I guess one could make higher than Infinite stuff by using Uncountable Infinity and so on but it's not really that necessary.
Ironic.

Welp😂

Anyway I have quite a few but this are my biggest ones

1. Speed
Makes absolutely no sense for a 3D to be faster than a 6D, it will not work in theory neither will it work in practice. But here we have 3D faster than someone who is supposedly seeing the entire 3D plane as fiction.

2. The tier 2
Yup I agree with you I was making a CRT but changed my mind cause well people are going to be “It will downgrade my fav verse” and that’s all that’s is needed for them to disagree even though they will likely have absolutely no point.

3. And I will like to see where or any verse that the space between two universes are default 5D like we assume them to be here, cause the default assumption should be void.

My least favorite things are...

1) Tier 1 and tier 0. I just feel as though it is the bane of vsdebating. Tier 1 as a whole is just not usable in versus debates unless we have two characters from the same verse or two characters who are Low 1-C and not smurfs. You lose interest in it real fast
2) Smurfs. My fandom account's description explains it all
3) Luffy having genius combat intelligence by figuring out that you can twist rubber in weird ways and learning how to fight using it
4) Totalitarianism, cause the opinion of the admins is always right apparently
5) XXKingXX69's logic
6) Impress attacking people
7) People making the whole ''' {{5-B}} system of tiers which i now have to source edit every time i revise pokemon...there's still 100+ profiles left
8) Useless official threads (waiting a month for translations, not being noticed in calc requests)
9) People nearly banning bobsican a few hours ago for posting a non-nsfw picture that is from a bad NSFW comic while AKM sits there with overly voluptuous women with nipples poking out of their shirts under every message
10) DontTalkDT's profile picture

1. The existence of three types of concepts, IMO none of them is superior to each other at all. You can argue that concept type 1 is harder to destroy than type 2 when it comes to indirect destruction as a domino effect, but if the attack directly erases the concept then the result must be the same.

2. Immeasurable speed and Irrelevant speed.

As for Immeasurable speed, I'm fine if those with this rating can actually do similarly to what the page says (They can dodge an attack that already has been struck, and they can strike someone even before they launched an attack. And they can do all of this via sheer speed). The point is that most of them can't do that at all, they have this rating just because they can travel through time, some characters that I know even get ****** by finite speed yet still have this rating smh.

As for Irrelevant speed, I don't see how destroying 1-A structure can translate to being faster than infinite speed as AP and speed are different theoretically you can even have tier 0 character with subsonic speed. Plus the description on the page says being beyond the concept of time is 1-A, putting aside the fact that being unbound of time is not the default feat for 1-A characters (because why??), I'm pretty sure such reason is not even enough for immeasurable speed, let alone faster rating.

3. Any attempt to upgrade to tier 1 because "transcending space-time" and "brane cosmology". You will still see me agreeing with such kind of upgrade somewhere tho, it's not like I can do much to change the standard.

4. The whole term "passive ability" is overused in versus thread, especially in a match that's involved with numerous haxes, like literally any possible abilities can be passive as fanfiction so that their favorite characters will not lose.

5. It's really annoying when someone keeps saying the feat being metaphors, flowery language but doesn't have a proper explanation.

6. Street level characters can't destroy street.

I mostly agree with these except for:
17) People forgetting that characters have a personality sometimes. Not cool.
Completely disagree. It doesn't happen sometimes, it happens almost every time.
Well, especially if it's vs debating in general.

1. Speed
Makes absolutely no sense for a 3D to be faster than a 6D, it will not work in theory neither will it work in practice. But here we have 3D faster than someone who is supposedly seeing the entire 3D plane as fiction.
In theory (and practice) it actually perfectly works. Speed isn't based on dimensions.
bobsican a few hours ago for posting a non-nsfw picture that is from a bad NSFW comic while AKM sits there with overly voluptuous women with nipples poking out of their shirts under every message
Wait, seriously? We had Monster Girl Quest here not long ago.
1. The existence of three types of concepts, IMO none of them is superior to each other at all. You can argue that concept type 1 is harder to destroy than type 2 when it comes to indirect destruction as a domino effect, but if the attack directly erases the concept then the result must be the same..

3. Any attempt to upgrade to tier 1 because "transcending space-time" and "brane cosmology". You will still see me agreeing with such kind of upgrade somewhere tho, it's not like I can do much to change the standard.
Strong agreement with these. And I made the current Conceptual Manipulation changes (unless it got changed again).

15) Inconsistencies, PIS and Outliers (besides having two different pages for nothing) are often misused. Might as well just call it "long running series are problematic".
PIS is just a reason for Inconsistencies, and Outliers just are a kind of Inconsistencies. In theory this can be used to prevent ridiculous wank or lowball.
But in practice they are just here to try to limit specific characters (Master Roshi's Moon level feat in the past) who are at a tier for a single feat in spite of countless characters being high tier for having a guy perform a single feat.
Some times I think this rules was sorely made for mainstream anime series; users made such an effort to avoid giving SoL to Naruto, but they have no issue in granting FTL to some random canadian character for dodging a beam pressumed to be real life... Once.
22) "Gosh, the OP stuff mostly come from obscure works and notions only two person read? What a fun world we live in."
Basically, you'll find verses (or notions) somehow claimed to be "part of the strongest thing in existence" by everyone.
Then you read the work, and find that x feat used is actually out of context. Or that x thing is misinterpreted. Or that x character doesn't even exist in the work.
And the main reason obscure stuff are OP becomes mystery; it's just easier to wank works nobody cares about.
Obscure verses are problematic, the fans are the only ones that bring information to the table, information that may be misunderstood. Also related to outliers from above, these users only bring "feats" they consider impressing, and ignore potential anti-feats and outliers.

And now that we are complaining, here are few complains of mine:

1) Stop dividing powers into types; write down potential uses, but please, don't separates them into types like does are the only one that all fiction uses.
2) Grant powers based in what the character actually does, not hownits universal common powernis suppossed to work; don't want to see a character having Law Manip, Subjective Reality and Dream Manip based in "the magic is the power that allows people to bend the rules of the world, shape the dreams and makes them reality", when the inly thing the character (or one of the characters) does is creating a fireball or freezing the ground.
3) Related to what is above: stop taking text literally; verses uses flowey language and metaphors quite often, do not base a power or rating in simple text... and not prioritize that text above actual showings.
4) Cut down the selective choose of physics in calcs; if there's a projectile supposed to move a supersonic speeds and is raining or there's something else with known speed moving, do not prioritize the assumption ("dude, this beam is shining and it bounce from surfaces, it must be light").
5) Stop adding verses for toddlers.

3) Luffy having genius combat intelligence by figuring out that you can twist rubber in weird ways and learning how to fight using it
Luffy creating techniques on the spot by copying anything he has seen or can see that's especially effective against the opponent his fighting
Luffy easily winning against someone who is one of the smartest people in East blue and moves FTE to luffy even in his base form, countering ones attack by holding on to the weapon mid air while someone was attacking at the same time, countering a slash by stopping it from the side with good timing while in mid air, Making a plan to destroy someone weapon and perfectly hitting the same spot to break someone's armor. Can think of effective ways to get himself out of sticky situations and make good use of it by attacking back, redirect a cannon ball that explodes on contact (I think) and redirects it back at the opponent, able to use his surroundings to dodge or block
East blue luffy is Comparable to Zoro who can do this...
Able to block/dodge 6 blades coming from all directions while using foreign swords coming from behind him and being severely damaged while attacking back. Able to make techniques effectively that counters someone else's technique, while being near death gets hurt even more and is able to spin a certain way to not get hit and attack back at the same time while falling, able to perfectly accurate cut a very small bogger that explodes on contact and make it not explode on him
🙈😴 only via east blue alone is enough

Funny, that's my favorite part about VsBW
fetchimage

In theory (and practice) it actually perfectly works. Speed isn't based on dimensions.
Except we can’t calculate or determine distance of a 4D world and speed is supposed to be distance/time.

And our tiering system definition of speed is strictly for 3D constructs

One thing I like about VSBW is seeing the same people making a mess in the RVR thread every now and then for months now.
Even when I leave for weeks or months, I come back, sort by new, see an RVR thread, and lo and behold, still familiar faces either getting reported or cluttering the thread with random comments.

It's funny.

I often see Impress try to police people in recent times and I swear she deals with the same people multiple times for similar warnings and infractions. Same with other staff.

Except we can’t calculate or determine distance of a 4D world and speed is supposed to be distance/time.

And our tiering system definition of speed is strictly for 3D constructs
You are supposed to be able to calculate/determine it int heory. Ofc doing calcs is another thing. But 4D (spatial) world is supposed to still have meters, km, etc...

4D is just another different direction but the problem is some stories or people treating the fourth dimension like a 4th higher floor with infinite gap from the floor below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back