• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yuga Aoyama's Navel Laser Quirk Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTRODUCTION​

In this post, I will try to make as many arguments as possible to confirm that Aoyama's laser beam from his Quirk is comparable to a real one.

I'll also mention a feat that happened in "My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission" and I don't think I need it here to confirm the movie's canonicity.

Deku - Laser Dodging

(This video is my own creation)

Now, without wasting any more time, let's get started.

CONTENT​

First let's recap the two moments in the MHA franchise where Aoyama's laser was compared to actual light.

Now let's take a look at both the characters who made these statements.

Chapter 67​

5798c611-4304-4516-9877-b70ddccdaba0

Chapter 337

cbfd82b4-d7b2-4d5b-9738-8253d945f63e

ANAN KUROSE (THIRTEEN)​

Her Quirk (Black Hole) allows her to replicate a black hole suction effect from her fingertips.

The suction power has been stated to be so strong that even real light cannot escape it.

TORU HAGAKURE​

In addition to her Quirk (Invisibility) allowing her to be completely invisible, she can refract both light passing through her body and light-based attacks.

Now, they both stated that their Quirks can absorb/refract light, while they "literally" absorbed/refracted Aoyama's laser from his own Quirk.

Showing both times that Aoyama's laser is something you can't interact with through normal means.

Now for the next part, let's take a look at Aoyama's Quirk and his costume.

Aoyama's laser, whenever fired from his navel, only travels in a straight line.

His hero suit was also stated to actually be high-tech to help him control his Quirk.

His suit was also stated to have the technical ability to transfer the energy emitted by his laser to other parts of his body such as his knees and shoulders.

It has been stated that his laser can be projected through the "lenses" that are part of his hero suit.

Including the large lens on his belt, which he always carries with him.

If I remember correctly, Quirks were stated to be physical functions and not magical.

That is, Aoyama's laser had to meet the same criteria that apply to a real laser.

As such, it must obey the laws of physics that apply in real life.

(Because it's not magic)

Despite not showing up often, Aoyama's laser doesn't exactly cause explosions once it makes contact with a surface, and has also been shown to leave burn marks on it afterwards.

And for the issue that his laser also allows him to propel himself, I have the following arguments and information that I found on the internet.

WIKIPEDIA​

YOUTUBE​

VIDEO

The creator of the video: The Action Lab

WONDERFUL ENGINEERING​

ARTICLE

The creator of the article: Sara Aftab

According to these articles and this video, light itself can theoretically, and even possibly practically, move objects.

(So Aoyama's laser can still be considered real)

Now, despite the fact that Aoyama's laser propels him at certain speeds, that doesn't actually mean that his laser travels at the same speed while being fired at a target.

Also, so the outliers won't be that big, even All For One, one of the fastest MHA characters couldn't react to it properly.

So, let's recap everything from the start.

AOYAMA’S LASER​

• It only travels in a straight line;
  • It's not magic;
  • It emits energy;
  • Can be projected through lenses;
  • It was refracted by someone who can only refract real light or real light-based attacks (Toru Hagakure);
  • It requires advanced technology equipment to function more properly;
  • It doesn't cause explosions and leave burn marks afterwards;
  • It is not tangible and cannot be interacted with through normal means;

Now, since the only two people who were seen reacting the most to Aoyama's laser were only Mina Ashido and Toru Hagakure, to determine if their other classmates could have the same speed level capabilities, I will refer to something else.

THE "QUIRK APPREHENSION TEST"​

An assessment consisting of eight fitness tests: 50-Meter Dash, Grip Strength, Standing Long Jump, Repeated Side Steps, Ball Throw, Three Remaining Tests (Run, Seated Toe-Touch, and Sit Ups).

Now, with the exception of Tenya Iida's Quirk, which helped him with at least one of these tests, such as the running test, all the other Class 1-A students did not possess any Quirks that helped them with the tests by enhancing their speed or strength (Also Rikido Sato, but I doubt he used his Quirk as he would have been exhausted quickly and couldn't have finished all the other tests).

Midoriya, if I remember correctly, was in his base the whole time without using One For All, except for the ball throwing test, when he activated the Quirk in his finger to throw it as far as possible.

The test eventually led to the next rank.

• Momo Yaoyorozu 1st
  • Shoto Todoroki 2nd
  • Katsuki Bakugo 3rd
  • Tenya Ida 4th
  • Fumikage Tokoyami 5th
  • Mezo Shoji 6th
  • Mashirao Ojiro 7th
  • Eijiro Kirishima 8th
  • Mina Ashido 9th
  • Ochaco Uraraka 10th
  • Koji Koda 11th
  • Rikido Sato 12th
  • Tsuyu Asui 13th
  • Yuga Aoyama 14th
  • Hanta Sero 15th
  • Denki Kaminari 16th
  • Kyoka Jiro 17th
  • Toru Hagakure 18th
  • Minoru Mineta 19th
  • Izuku Midoriya 20th

Now, since both Mina and Toru didn't possess strength-enhancing Quirks, it's most acceptable that they used their natural speed and strength.

So anyone who was ranked either below them or above them, it is most acceptable to believe that they are either as fast as them, or at least as fast as them.

CONCLUSION​

Now, I think that's all I wanted to say.

Thank you very much for your attention.

His Laser is indeed "light". However just because it's light doesn't mean it moves at the speed of light.

Fiction can do things like that because this is a fictional story, not reality. People who are far faster than Aoyama or Mina lack feats on this level and struggle with speed that is far slower than light speed. Such as being unable to travel 200 km instantly. Even if they were 1000X slower than Aoyama's laser, they'd be able to travel 200 km in 0.6 seconds. Clearly the characters are not meant to be this fast, unless we're saying Mina is over thousands of times faster than All Might?

Also only applying this to reaction speed and not travel speed doesn't work either. Since these characters are threaten by bullets. The guards are slower but still follow Izuku's movements. So are they thousands of times faster than their own bullets? Or are these super bullets that move at Light Speed?

And lightning dodging is impossible. Lightning is too fast for 8% Izuku and Bakugo to dodge, who are far faster than Mina, as shown in Heroes Rising. Nine, the villain of heroes rising. Has the ability to control the weather and shoot down lightning bolts. Which he uses to defeat Izuku and Bakugo in their first fight.

He also confused when he does this attack again, and they show up later without any extra injures. He doesn't understand how they avoided his lightning. Despite the fact they're fast enough to dodge light speed attacks? Nine himself is shown to react and block Aoyama's Navel Laser rather easily, he does it from behind too.

Aoyama's Navel Laser hasn't been portrayed to move at the speed of light, in fact his laser is shown to be on par with other projectiles. Speed of Light Tape/Acid?

Basically you need to debunk all the anti-feats, and there is more than what I've posted. And provide evidence that his laser is meant to move at light speed.

His Laser is indeed "light". However just because it's light doesn't mean it moves at the speed of light.

Fiction can do things like that because this is a fictional story, not reality. People who are far faster than Aoyama or Mina lack feats on this level and struggle with speed that is far slower than light speed. Such as being unable to travel 200 km instantly. Even if they were 1000X slower than Aoyama's laser, they'd be able to travel 200 km in 0.6 seconds. Clearly the characters are not meant to be this fast, unless we're saying Mina is over thousands of times faster than All Might?

Also only applying this to reaction speed and not travel speed doesn't work either. Since these characters are threaten by bullets. The guards are slower but still follow Izuku's movements. So are they thousands of times faster than their own bullets? Or are these super bullets that move at Light Speed?

And lightning dodging is impossible. Lightning is too fast for 8% Izuku and Bakugo to dodge, who are far faster than Mina, as shown in Heroes Rising. Nine, the villain of heroes rising. Has the ability to control the weather and shoot down lightning bolts. Which he uses to defeat Izuku and Bakugo in their first fight.

He also confused when he does this attack again, and they show up later without any extra injures. He doesn't understand how they avoided his lightning. Despite the fact they're fast enough to dodge light speed attacks? Nine himself is shown to react and block Aoyama's Navel Laser rather easily, he does it from behind too.

Aoyama's Navel Laser hasn't been portrayed to move at the speed of light, in fact his laser is shown to be on par with other projectiles. Speed of Light Tape/Acid?

Basically you need to debunk all the anti-feats, and there is more than what I've posted. And provide evidence that his laser is meant to move at light speed.

Number 1​

Who said Mina is faster than Weakened All Might.

By Weakened All For One was unable to react properly to the laser beam, it meant he couldn't avoid it, but he easily blocked the laser beam.

In addition, he was also taken by surprise then.

Meaning, Mina is still far inferior to individuals like Weakened All Might and Weakened All For One.

Weakened All Might has kept up with Weakened All For One, meaning he has the same reaction speed.

Number 2​

As for the thing about them being "threatened" by gunfire, I don't know what to say about that.

Yes, Midoriya made an effort to dodge gunfire, but it's one thing to dodge gunfire at point-blank range, and another thing to dodge it from a distance.

In "My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission", individuals such as Midoriya and Bakugo dodged countless gunfire from machine gun-wielding "Humanrise" minions with ease and while approaching them at high speed.

So I don't really think this gunfire is a "threat".

Number 3​

Nine managed to hit Izuku and Bakugo then, but that was more because their attention was focused on Nine and not on his weather changing Quirk, I don't even know how much they both knew about this Quirk of his then.

The second time, they were still recovering from the first fight and after they found out the Qurik's abilities, they managed to avoid the lightning with the help of Denki.

Despite the fact that they need someone here to avoid the lightning, you can't take the fact that they were still injured after their first encounter out of the equation.

When someone has been mortally wounded and is still suffering from their injuries, you cannot always expect them to continue to work or move as fast as if they were perfectly unharmed.

Number 4​

I don't see clear proof that Mina and Sero launched their tape and acid attacks at the same time Yuga launched his laser.

Yes, they were seen hitting Mirio at the same time, but there isn't much clear evidence that they actually attacked at the same time.

So here, I'm not really sure about this either.

Number 1​

Who said Mina is faster than Weakened All Might.

By Weakened All For One was unable to react properly to the laser beam, it meant he couldn't avoid it, but he easily blocked the laser beam.

In addition, he was also taken by surprise then.

Meaning, Mina is still far inferior to individuals like Weakened All Might and Weakened All For One.

Weakened All Might has kept up with Weakened All For One, meaning he has the same reaction speed.

Number 2​

As for the thing about them being "threatened" by gunfire, I don't know what to say about that.

Yes, Midoriya made an effort to dodge gunfire, but it's one thing to dodge gunfire at point-blank range, and another thing to dodge it from a distance.

In "My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission", individuals such as Midoriya and Bakugo dodged countless gunfire from machine gun-wielding "Humanrise" minions with ease and while approaching them at high speed.

So I don't really think this gunfire is a "threat".

Number 3​

Nine managed to hit Izuku and Bakugo then, but that was more because their attention was focused on Nine and not on his weather changing Quirk, I don't even know how much they both knew about this Quirk of his then.

The second time, they were still recovering from the first fight and after they found out the Qurik's abilities, they managed to avoid the lightning with the help of Denki.

Despite the fact that they need someone here to avoid the lightning, you can't take the fact that they were still injured after their first encounter out of the equation.

When someone has been mortally wounded and is still suffering from their injuries, you cannot always expect them to continue to work or move as fast as if they were perfectly unharmed.

Number 4​

I don't see clear proof that Mina and Sero launched their tape and acid attacks at the same time Yuga launched his laser.

Yes, they were seen hitting Mirio at the same time, but there isn't much clear evidence that they actually attacked at the same time.

So here, I'm not really sure about this either.

Number 3​

Meaning, if Izuku and Bakugo were fully aware of Nine's Weather Manipulation Quirk, they could have avoided it.

Also​

Reaction Speed and Attack Speed aren't really the same thing, and Reaction/Attack Speed and even overall Speed aren't always constant in all cases.

Just because one could once dodge something that was fast as light, that didn't mean he wouldn't eventually get hit by something that moved as fast as lightning or enhanced bullets.

Just because it is light doesn't mean it is lightspeed.

Wikipedia​

Speed of Light

Well, since we've never seen Aoyama's laser travel through vacuum space, it really can't travel at the "speed of light c" (300,000 km/s).

But if we still take Aoyama's laser as light, and since it is always shot through the lens of his high-tech belt (from his navel with the help of his high-tech belt), which is most likely made of a material through which light can be projected, such as glass, then it must travel at about 200,000 km/s (Considering "the refractive index of glass" which is around 1.5).

However, we probably also need to consider "refractive index of air", which is around 1.0003.

Meaning, Aoyama's laser can probably only travel at about 90 km/s.

Converting it we get 264.48030 Mach

Barely "Massively Hypersonic" speed.

I used these methods because, as I mentioned in the post, Quirks were stated to be physical functions and not magical powers.

Meaning, the laws of physics still need to be applied to them and their world (Not much but a little).

Last edited:
light can propel objects, but only with specific circumstances, a laser at that level would not be able to propel around entire humans. i disagree with this for that and the reasons above

The two aren't mutually exclusive. See Rewind and New Order.
Yes, some Quirks and their powers are hard to explain by scientific methods.

And yet, some Quirks like Aoyama's laser, Bakugo's explosions, Kaminari's electricity, and Shoto's ice and fire follow these rules I mentioned earlier.

Furthermore

Since the entire MHA-verse revolves around the principles of science and laws that apply in real life, and the fact that Quirks have also been constantly studied and scientifically explained, is there actually any evidence that they actually are magical powers.

Yes, some may still defy these laws, but only because this is still fiction and not 100% real life.

yuga literally uses navel laser as a sword
He just reshaped the energy emitted by his laser into a blade.

He did not use the laser beam itself.

Its laser is said to be capable of emitting energy.

Looking at other fiction series as well, shaping the energy itself into weapons or objects from the energy emitted by either your own body or other factors such as light or laser is quite common.

Also, this was a skill that he developed over time, and that he didn't always have.

Quirks were specified to evolve over time and to provide new abilities to their users, as was the case with Himiko Toga.

He just developed a new ability.

I specified that some can deny parts of the laws of physics, but that does not mean that it is truly magic.

I also specified the fact that this is still a fiction, and not 100% reality.

Generally speaking I think having Aoyama have a SOL beam is just incredibly inconsistent for MHA, especially the low tiers

Generally speaking I think having Aoyama have a SOL beam is just incredibly inconsistent for MHA, especially the low tiers
It's just the reaction speed to it.

Their movement speed is not changed by this.

I have already talked a few things about this.

"But if we still take Aoyama's laser as light, and since it is always shot through the lens of his high-tech belt (from his navel with the help of his high-tech belt), which is most likely made of a material through which light can be projected, such as glass, then it must travel at about 200,000 km/s (Considering "the refractive index of glass" which is around 1.5). However, we probably also need to consider "refractive index of air", which is around 1.0003. Meaning, Aoyama's laser can probably only travel at about 90 km/s. Converting it we get 264.48030 Mach. Barely "Massively Hypersonic" speed."​

It is not "Relativistic+", "FTL” or “Massively FTL”

Also, I don't see the problem with low-tier characters having "Massively Hypersonic" reaction speed (If that will eventually be the case), like I said before, top-tier characters are still far superior compared to them.

"By Weakened All For One was unable to react properly to the laser beam, it meant he couldn't avoid it, but he easily blocked the laser beam. In addition, he was also taken by surprise then. Meaning, Mina is still far inferior to individuals like Weakened All Might and Weakened All For One. Weakened All Might has kept up with Weakened All For One, meaning he has the same reaction speed."​

It's just the reaction speed to it.

Their movement speed is not changed by this.

I have already talked a few things about this.
The problem is that BOS Shiggy blitzed Froppy and Base Deku, who both scale to the Relativistic shenanigans, making HIM Relativistic. And BOS Shiggy is fodder

The problem is that BOS Shiggy blitzed Froppy and Base Deku, who both scale to the Relativistic shenanigans, making HIM Relativistic. And BOS Shiggy is fodder
Shigaraki also kept up with Aizawa and even managed to use the Decay Quirk on his elbow before he could react. Meaning that his reaction and combat speed were on par with Aizawa's.

Aizawa once reacted to Dabi when he attacked him at point-blank range. Dabi is able to keep up with the likes of Endeavor who can keep up with All For One. Meaning that Dabi's combat and reaction speed is comparable to the likes of Endeavor and All For One.

Aizawa, as an experienced Pro-Hero, should also be at least comparable to the likes of Tsuyu and Base Deku, as well as his other students. Meaning Shigarki should also have been at least comparable to them back then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back