• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yangs intelligence

I Honestly have some issues with rwbys stats on any vs discussion site (mainly because so many people seem hellbend on downplaying them even lower) But there is One stat on here that REALLY annoys me.

Why is Yang only listed as average?

Look i know that no One seems to Care about intelligence in vs debates (i cant recall the last time this was a deciding factor) but i Really feel like Yang is being done dirty here.

Her "hothead" attitude is far from a Problem by now and even then there we're like Two times in V1 to V3 where she was Really furious to the point she lost control against neon and Adam. And its Not like she was unskilled before she trained again with tai (who actually trained her before)

Also lets look at other examples of her intelligence: -she uses her semblance more strategically (See her rematch with adam) -the second she finds out how Adams semblance works she avoids hitting his sword and her Next big attack even allows her to disarm him, implying that she immediatly realised his weakness and put herself in a Position where she could take advantage of it -she build Ember celica (Yang and Ruby went to the same combat school and Ruby said everyone had to build their own weapons there and given that her gauntlets Design is actually genius given that it doesnt end up blasting her hands of i think that should count for something) -she uses Ember celica to propel herself in different directions during combat and become faster and more unpredictable. In General it is One of the few weapons to actually enhance a existing fighting style instead of there being a style based around it -she likely was the One to modify her arm with a gun given that i doubt every prostethic in Atlas comes with a gun... -she was the ONLY ONE to find out the truth about the Spring Maiden within a few discussions -she was chosen to represent her team in the Vytal Festival Finals which should speak volumes about her fighting ability compared to her teammates. -she is the only one who never struggles with school work in her team and she knew about Mountain glenn -lets also compare that to Sun wukong who is listed as above average in intelligence and One of the reasons there being that gun Chucks allow him to always have a weapon in Hand. What about you literally being needed to DISARMED to get you away from your weapon? Because that is what Yangs gauntlets are -she also seems to be good at research and intimidation if we can Take that away from her trailer -also if i recall right she is the only one of her team to get to Beacon the legitimate way? Ruby got it as a present, Blake took some other Deal, weiss was probably recommended? Yang used the old school way.

So Yeah given all of that i think Yang should be at Gifted or at least High.

Pre-timeskip yang should be average but I 100% agree that her post timeskip self should be high based on the majority of stuff you listed

WeeklyBattles said:
Pre-timeskip yang should be average but I 100% agree that her post timeskip self should be high based on the majority of stuff you listed
Great already some agreement. :) But even before the timeskip i feel like average doesnt really fit her. She still build Ember celica. I have yet to find just ONE evidence of this Not being the Case and i dont think an average person could do that. Alongside other Stuff.

Yeah she built her own weapon but her father, a pro huntsman, flat out stated that her fighting style is sloppy and overreliant on spamming her semblance and simply punching her way through all of her fights rather than strategize, something that her fight against Neo demonstrated

Thats actually something i am questioning. didnt Tai train her? Why is he bringing it up now and Not earlier?

And Yeah her style is somewhat simple compared to Stuff like using earth Dust to Block lasers but she actually is SOMEWHAT strategic. Against the twins she actually did A divide and conquer tactic by seperating them And adapts against them somewhat. And she does utelize real Life Boxing techniques. She isnt just a dumb blonde who constantly punches wildly. Also if overreliance is a Problem than Ruby should be on the same Level cause she is helpless without her weapon. Also in that Neo fight did she even use her semblance there? How about above average before Time Skip and high After?

Its never actually stated that Tai trained her before she went to Beacon

Yes, Ruby before the timeskip IS helpless without her weapon, and as such it is listed as a weakness on her profile. Average before and High after would be accurate yes, she changes drastically during the timeskip.

The one after average is above average; and the rating after that is gifted. High isn't an official intelligence rating.

WeeklyBattles said:
Its never actually stated that Tai trained her before she went to Beacon

Yes, Ruby before the timeskip IS helpless without her weapon, and as such it is listed as a weakness on her profile. Average before and High after would be accurate yes, she changes drastically during the timeskip.
Meant to reply sooner But Things got in the way. Again Yeah fully agree High After timeskip. But i also want to point out.

Sun wukong. Literal buttmonkey of the Show. Never showed ANY intelligence aside from fighting. In fact he can be a downright stupid and insensitive morron. He Gets considered above average. Higher than Yang. And his only listed justification is his weapon. I feel like there is a huge double standard going on here. And this is coming from someone who likes Sun.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
The one after average is above average; and the rating after that is gifted. High isn't an official intelligence rating.
Wait it isnt? Huh. Okay good to know thanks. Than Gifted after time Skip and above average for beacon time?

WeeklyBattles said:
I mean Sun actually displayed combat skill greater than punch punch punch
okay dismissing a fighting style that is primarily martial arts moves as 'punch punch punch' from the start is ridiculous - i mean it's an actual fighting style, she's not just swinging wildly

And she's a smart and adaptable fighter (even though she doesn't get too many fights in the first few volumes to cite), but some highlights a Friend helped me out with:

- in the Yellow trailer, she mimics Melanie's footwork, learns how her fighting style works and takes her apart in under a minute

- similarly in her fight with Neo, while she still lost, she wasn't just swinging wildly, watching her throughout the fight, she's adapting to Neo's style and getting faster and anticipating Neo's next moves; which is why she managed to grab Neo towards the end, but that's when Neo decided to stop playing and knocked her out (which only happened because she had been exhausted by the constant fighting that day and getting little to no sleep from what we saw)

- at the Breach, having just recovered from getting beaten by Neo, she maintains her distance against the onslaught of Grimm, initially taking to the air to take out opponents on the ground (she got blindsided by some Nevermores, but she couldn't have anticipated they were there as they weren't coming through the Breach), and then later throwing cars at Grimm from a distance

- in the fight with Flynt and Neon, getting angry allowed Yang to refocus and instead of trying to punch them, she changes tactics, using ranged attacks to first tear up the battlefield, making it harder for Flynt and Neon to coordinate and back each other up, and then took them out one by one using her gauntlet attacks

And now compare that to Sun who never won a One on One fight on screen and actually managed to knock his own teammate out with a coconut.

And didnt he also lose his weapon once offscreen? Against NDGO which is why he had to use coconuts.

Always had an issue with high intelligences merely because of fighting skill. Kenpachi can fight but he's a caveman. Everything yang conjured In her head I see as common sense. Guess I'm gifted.

Combat intelligence is usually the most important form of intelligence.

Did literally non of you Read my last Post where i go into detail about why yang even in Beacon Time is combat intelligent? To me it should be: Above average Beacon Time - (possibly) Gifted after time Skip

He combat skill is definitely above average for all her keys, but I think Gifted is fine for her later keys is fine.

Nico-v11 said:
Above average in terms of skill but keep her weakness of acting out of rage for Volume 1-3
Yeah can we talk about that actually? I agree that yang is hot headed but i feel its being overplayed a little by some people. I mean she isnt the only one to get angry in a Fight and i can only remember 2 instances in v1 to v3 where she really lost It. 1: against flynt and Neon 2: against Adam (she saw blake on the ground with a sword who wouldnt be angry and acting like that i mean what was she supposed to do ask adam to stop stabbibg her partner?) I do agree that she has a temper But its Not like she is on hulk level of anger issues like some people Claim. Just wanted to say that. Also i dont know how to edit a Page.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
He combat skill is definitely above average for all her keys, but I think Gifted is fine for her later keys is fine.
I agree with that Honestly.

I actually did a small concept of what could be put on her Page:

Above Average Beacon Time/Gifted After timeskip (Yang is a highly skilled fighter, being able to outmatch entire groups of enemies and monsters much larger than herself in hand to hand combat. She has shown to be very adaptable in combat and skilled enough to be the representant for her team in the Finals of the Vytal Festival which means she can be considered as the most skilled member of her team. Her fighting style is much more aggressive than that of her teammates, bearing resemblance to a combination of boxing and kickboxing which can be a hinderance at times./After losing her arm in an encounter with Adam Taurus and gaining a prostethic as a replacement she underwent intensive Training with her father to rely less on her semblance. She has also continued to demonstrate the ability to think strategically in a fight such as when she avoided hitting Adams sword After learning how his semblance works and disarming him with her own in one attack. She also is smart in other ways such as when she realized as the only one the true identity of the Spring Maiden.)

Is everyone okay with that?

Nah. She got chosen to represent because she's the most powerful not because of skill. I mean Blake and Weiss are definitely more skilled than her (putting Ruby on the botto purely because of H2H).

She hasn't had many fights in the series to be honest. She broke formation in Volume 2 against the Paladin which took her down for a while and relied fully on her semblance to win.

Against Neo she only kept on attacking and nothing else despite the fact that she never landed a single hit. Perhaps if she had changed up the strategy and going for range or staying on the defensive things would have played out better.

Against Neon she actually couldn't do shit BECAUSE she was pissed off.

Versus Adam she attacked blindly despite the fact that she lost her element of surprise and he was fully anticipating her and ready to counter her.

She actually has a really shitty track record against characters that actually matter. So yes her over aggression should definitely stay on the profile.

Nico-v11 said:
Nah. She got chosen to represent because she's the most powerful not because of skill. I mean Blake and Weiss are definitely more skilled than her (putting Ruby on the botto purely because of H2H).

She hasn't had many fights in the series to be honest. She broke formation in Volume 2 against the Paladin which took her down for a while and relied fully on her semblance to win.

Against Neo she only kept on attacking and nothing else despite the fact that she never landed a single hit. Perhaps if she had changed up the strategy and going for range or staying on the defensive things would have played out better.

Against Neon she actually couldn't do shit BECAUSE she was pissed off.

Versus Adam she attacked blindly despite the fact that she lost her element of surprise and he was fully anticipating her and ready to counter her.

She actually has a really shitty track record against characters that actually matter. So yes her over aggression should definitely stay on the profile.
Ähm... no. When did Yang break formation? I think that would have Been called out if she did. Maybe it was just part of the strategy to get on the paladins back. Pretty Sure you inserting Stuff like i did. On which Not... she destroyed the thing while the Rest did Chip damage. So she basically carried them.

And what makes you so Sure that weiss and Blake are the more Skilled members? When was the last time weiss won a duel? Just because you use a sword doesnt Make you more Skilled.

And id Honestly argue that weiss semblance is the strongest given that she Control gravity, Time and elements with it.

Did you dismiss what i said about her Neo fight? And Neon?

And did you completely forget that Adam stabbed her partner which meant Yang HAD to do something? To get him away from her? asap? I mean come the **** on Ruby would lose it to she literally said at haven "no im angry" and i dont See being Hot headed ad her weakness. You cant use this ONE moment where she didn't exactly have too many tactical options available to her that wouldn't have been too slow or endangered Blake, and she was in an understandably distressed frame of mind anyway, demanding she react rationally in that situation is asking her to be an unfeeling machine) as evidence she is a hothead

1. When she left on her own and jumped on the back of the mech. That was not a team plan at all.

2. They are often said to be the smartest of the team in every way. Both are studious, get good grades, and their semblances require much more thought than everyone else's in the verse (barring Qrow).

3. Strongest in terms of AP.

4. All I said is still very much applicable.

5. "No I'm angry" and still displaying self control shows that Ruby has no such weakness. Yang on the other hand did lose control. In order to beat Adam she relied entirely on that first hit instead of finding a better opening. She had many options against Adam to get him away from Blake quickly, such as shooting her gauntlets at him.

Back