• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

XCOM speed revision and AP/Durability revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel_Krukov

🖖 Live long and prosper
He/Him
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Image Helper
Speed

Since this blog is available (Kudos goes to those who helped make it) I was wondering if we are able to change the reaction speed for all current and future profiles of any XCOM character.

Lasers
Here are our rules regarding lasers (Kudos to those that made this):

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror
  • The beam is called lightspeed by credible scientific sources
  • It is stated to be made of photons or light itself, again by a credible scientific source
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Here are the characteristics of XCOM's "Lasers":

"Laser" dodging time-stamps in this clip: 0:08 and 0:29

IMHO, I do not think these count as proper lasers. What are other peoples thoughts?

Concrete Evidence
Dodging Machine gun fire - Example 1, Example 2

Various dodging

AR dodging time stamp: 0:57 Here it says the calibre of ammunition used which is "5.56mm NATO rounds".

Unlikely
Enemies can also dodge Railgu attacks. (Although it's difficult for me to find such precise things on YT)

According to Wikipedia, Railgun projectiles move at 8600 kilometres per hour which is just under Mach 7 (Hypersonic)

This ability called "Lightning Reflexes" allows any trooper who has it, can guarantee dodge the first shot that is fired upon them. I'm assuming that this is just game mechanics though.

AP/Durability
Here's the changes I propose and why I think they should be implemented:

The XCOM EW/EU Sectopod should have Building level AP via the main cannon for being able to seriously damage XCOM troops with late game armour. Said armour is barely affected by attacks from Sectoids who have Small Building level AP. This should also apply to the other version of Sectopod.

Ethereal's should be slightly below a Sectopod in terms of durability (Building level should be fair). They also share some of the abilities from The Commander (XCOM) such as the Dimensional rift which can insta-kill a Sectopod (Although, as with all psionic attacks, it's weaker on those with a stronger will). They can also reflect some damage towards enemies. There natural AP should be 8-C (About equal to a Sectopods AP)

Notices
P.S: I have asked for calculations for this in the past, but since there is something to go off now, without the need for calculations, I have created this thread. If someone does want to do calculations, please leave a message.

P.P.S: All dodging feats should scale to any unit in the game.

Bump

Edited OP to talk about lasers more in depth.

Hmmm makes sense, and yes, the Lightning Reflexes is likely to be game mechanics or minor pre-cog, and the name is obvious hyperbole.

@SD Yeah, I thought so.

Do you agree with my opinion regarding the laser content?

Bump

SomebodyData said:
Hmmm makes sense, and yes, the Lightning Reflexes is likely to be game mechanics or minor pre-cog, and the name is obvious hyperbole.
Also the lasers while they may seem legit but they could be outliers.

Everything else looks pretty good.

RadicalMrR said:
Also the lasers while they may seem legit they could be outliers.

Everything else looks pretty good.
Thanks for the input!

I would try and find better content to show, but it's hard to search for specific things, and it doesn't help that the animations can be terribly broken at times.

Okay, cheers. I'm assuming it's best to leave the laser stuff?

Yeah, I mean its just seems kinda outlierish, I mean these are just regular soldiers right? I know there are some who are altered in telekinetically but to go from like Superhuman speed to SoL is kinda ridiculous especially considering that plasma weapons are a tier above the laser weapons but plasma is slower than light.

Makes sense I guess. Thanks for the input, you can close this thread now if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back