• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Would this be real lightning?

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
I'm planning on downgrading speed in the Dark Souls verse and I wanted to make sure if this is correct or not. Would this feat be considered real lightning?

https://youtu.be/A44uvRS_pWU?t=3798

I've been questioning it on whether or not it meets the requirements. It seems like a cloud of electricity being breathed out of the Sanctuary Guardian's mouth, and when it hits the ground it creates a shockwave. You could interpret this shockwave as traveling through the water, but I'm leaning towards it just being a standard AoE shockwave that would be there regardless of whether or not water was present.

At the very least the attack is 8-B, so it meets the 1.6 billion joules requirement. But is that alone enough to justify calling it a MHS+ feat?

Are you referring to the clip I linked, or is there some other instance of lightning in the DS series that I'm missing?

https://youtu.be/uDq7afLNA7s?t=147

The lightning seems to manifest as a tangible object that the Chosen Undead can grab and throw. That alone disqualifies it in my book.

Even then, the only reason it gets any kind of speed at all is because the Chosen Undead is throwing it. It's not moving at all on its own, so the only way we could treat it as MHS+ lightning is if we assume that the dude is already naturally capable of throwing things at speeds in excess of Mach 1000.

Where else is the lightning going to come from, other than the clouds? You don't need to see it. You just need to know where it's going, the attack patterns that lead to it being cast, and where it's going to go. Regardless, you still aren't reacting to the lightning itself, you're reacting to the indication that it's coming.

Even then, it's still ambiguous as to whether or not the Ashen One is actually dodging the lightning itself, or simply moving out of the way before it gets cast. And again, it's not helped by the fact that the guy is visibly frozen when compared to it.

Back