• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Woody Woodpecker: I don't have the creativity for a good title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Additions

Votes

Agree: (3;0) @LordGriffin1000, @DarkDragonMedeus, @Propellus
Neutral: (0;0)
Disagree: (0;0)

Last edited:

icegif-818.gif

I agree with what I didn't address below.
Madness Manipulation (Type 3; As well as live with himrself without going crazy, able to see himrself in the mirror)
  • Woody has Madness type 3, so I think doing things like interacting with himself and looking in the mirror and not going crazy is enough for resistance. In the first video, it's him interacting with him from minutes in the past.
I'm pretty sure it's just in the nature of the ability for it to not affect the user. I don't see a reason for a version of Woody from another time to provide any more madness than Woody provides directly. Same with him being able to see his own reflection; that'd be no different than him directly seeing body parts of his on a regular basis.
All Woody did was put a plate where he was getting hit. That looks like a weakness of the magic rather than Woody having a supernatural resistance to the magic.

I'm pretty sure it's just in the nature of the ability for it to not affect the user. I don't see a reason for a version of Woody from another time to provide any more madness than Woody provides directly. Same with him being able to see his own reflection; that'd be no different than him directly seeing body parts of his on a regular basis.
I talked to some staff members off the record and yes, looking in the mirror or things like that gives you resistance if you don't go crazy. The mirror part is just a supporting argument, but it works too. Type 3 is derived from your nature of existence, and based on cognition (seeing/perceiving), so living with yourself 5 minutes in the past or looking in the mirror would drive you crazy if you don't have resistance, since nothing on the page says that your ability cannot affect yourself.

You are not immune to your own ability by default. And I haven't found anywhere that says this, so please provide

And Woody is just minutes in the past. It's just him meeting him from the beginning of the episode.

All Woody did was put a plate where he was getting hit. That looks like a weakness of the magic rather than Woody having a supernatural resistance to the magic.
Dude, where are you seeing resistance to magic from? It's damage transfer, and Woody has no resistance against it. He has a way to defend himself against her with objects.

The damage to the doll is direct damage to Woody's body, both physically and with hax (the aligator also used hax on the doll which was transferred to Woody), this is how damage transfel works, target object as the page says. Woody was the target object, his body, so it's really not a good argument to just say "weakness of power" if you don't have something explicit for that and it's just your interpretation.

Last edited:
I talked to some staff members off the record and yes, looking in the mirror or things like that gives you resistance if you don't go crazy. The mirror part is just a supporting argument, but it works too. Type 3 is derived from your nature of existence, and based on cognition (seeing/perceiving), so living with yourself 5 minutes in the past or looking in the mirror would drive you crazy if you don't have resistance, since nothing on the page says that your ability cannot affect yourself.
Alright, if that's how the VS Battles Wiki considers the qualifications as, then I don't want to protest about that here.
You are not immune to your own ability by default. And I haven't found anywhere that says this, so please provide
I'm thinking of the matter like how a fire breathing dragon doesn't burn their mouth from breathing fire just due to the way breath attack works instead of the dragon necessarily being unaffected by fire in general, even though their breath attack may imply a resistance to fire anyway, depending on how the specific case should be analyzed. Likewise, in the way I see it, if pretty much any character, in this case Woody, has the ability to cause insanity just by the nature of their existence, then logically they would cause insanity in themself by their own existence unless they're exempt from their madness causation one way or another. It could be a general resistance, or it could be a resistance to themself specifically, and which option is the correct one is ambiguous to me. It's especially unclear when Woody doesn't always make everyone around him become insane. It's likely that Woody's madness inducement stems from how annoying he's being, and I doubt that he thinks of himself as annoying.
Dude, where are you seeing resistance to magic from?
I was referring to damage transferal using the word "magic". It's a supernatural ability, and I'm sure you know that the word "magic" can describe supernatural abilities. The scene also appeared to involve the specific kind of damage transferal called voodoo doll magic.
It's damage transfer, and Woody has no resistance against it. He has a way to defend himself against her with objects.

The damage to the doll is direct damage to Woody's body, both physically and with hax (the aligator also used hax on the doll which was transferred to Woody), this is how damage transfel works, target object as the page says. Woody was the target object, his body, so it's really not a good argument to just say "weakness of power" if you don't have something explicit for that and it's just your interpretation.
I'm aware of how damage transferal works, but the purpose of the scene seems to be Woody demonstrating that he's clever by putting a plate where he was getting hit to block the damage, so it seems to me that voodoo doll magic just wasn't portrayed accurately in the scene. I get the impression that the scene was using more straightforward logic than implying that Woody has an "unconventional" resistance to damage transferal via putting a random object in the spot that he's being poked at.

I'm thinking of the matter like how a fire breathing dragon doesn't burn their mouth from breathing fire just due to the way breath attack works instead of the dragon necessarily being unaffected by fire in general, even though their breath attack may imply a resistance to fire anyway, depending on how the specific case should be analyzed.
I've seen dragons in fiction that aren't resistant to fire even internally, like in "How to Train Your Dragon", so really no. And even when it is normally, you gain resistance, like Kaido who has resistance to fire because he is not affected by his own flames.

I'm aware of how damage transferal works, but the purpose of the scene seems to be Woody demonstrating that he's clever by putting a plate where he was getting hit to block the damage, so it seems to me that voodoo doll magic just wasn't portrayed accurately in the scene. I get the impression that the scene was using more straightforward logic than implying that Woody has an "unconventional" resistance to damage transferal via putting a random object in the spot that he's being poked at.
That's why it's "Unconventional", because it's not an innate resistance, but rather a way of defending against the ability/not being affected by it in a way that isn't resistance. Through the doll, the aligator can either deal direct damage or redirect hax against Woody. In case of direct damage, Woody placed a piece of metal to protect himself.

As it is a toon cartoon, with practically everything being based on the toon force, the scene is supposed to be funny. "Woody is taking damage from the doll, what would be funny for him to do? Ha, he protects himself with a piece of metal"

I've seen dragons in fiction that aren't resistant to fire even internally, like in "How to Train Your Dragon", so really no. And even when it is normally, you gain resistance, like Kaido who has resistance to fire because he is not affected by his own flames.
Surely how an ability works depends on how a specific story treats it.
That's why it's "Unconventional", because it's not an innate resistance, but rather a way of defending against the ability/not being affected by it in a way that isn't resistance. Through the doll, the aligator can either deal direct damage or redirect hax against Woody. In case of direct damage, Woody placed a piece of metal to protect himself.

As it is a toon cartoon, with practically everything being based on the toon force, the scene is supposed to be funny. "Woody is taking damage from the doll, what would be funny for him to do? Ha, he protects himself with a piece of metal"
I still find that this usage of the label "unconventional" allows for too much leniency when it comes to what counts as an ability for a character. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Surely how an ability works depends on how a specific story treats it.
You only don't gain resistance if the story says something like that, that you cannot be affected by your own ability. But this by default exists in other verses, for example GOW that Poseidon has resistance to his own electricity because he channels it through his hands. The consensus is not that by default your own ability cannot affect it, but rather that it resists your own ability to use it (since it channels it into the body physically).

But it's better to stop using other verses.

I still find that this usage of the label "unconventional" allows for too much leniency when it comes to what counts as an ability for a character. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
"unconventional" is already something that exists on the wiki, the verse that I remember off the top of my head is Tensura, which has unconventional resistance to a lot of things because to affect the soul it needs info 2 or something like that.

And Woody already has another unconventional resistance to sleep manipulation, as he can act while he sleeps.

But I also don't want to extend the conversation too much, so let's just move on.

Overall I think these are okay. I can see the issue with damage transfer resistance because he is suppose to feel the pain that the voodoo doll does but when putting the object in the way, it acted like a shield despite the physical object not actually touching Woody it's touching the doll. However, it's still acting as protection from the damage the doll received towards him so I think it's ok.

Overall I think these are okay. I can see the issue with damage transfer resistance because he is suppose to feel the pain that the voodoo doll does but when putting the object in the way, it acted like a shield despite the physical object not actually touching Woody it's touching the doll. However, it's still acting as protection from the damage the doll received towards him so I think it's ok.
Not to bother you, but you could ping DDM and Maverick (just like you, they appear a lot in the credits of this verse)

Just to confirm, you agreed with the unconventional resistance, right?

Looks alright.
This is fine.
The crt has been applied, and can now be closed.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back