• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why should we scale reactions to travel speed and vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austrian-Man-Meat

VS Battles
Retired
As the topic says, the only reasoning I've seen so far was basically pseudoscience which amounted to "Humans don't have large gaps in their stats, therefore, you can assume some random fictional character who you can prove to have vast disparities in their reaction speed feats and travel speed feats have their reaction/travel speeds interchangeable."

Imagine using that reasoning to say vast gaps in lifting strength and striking strength are impossible for fictional characters and therefore both should be interchangeable.

There was also this article and even then it doesn't outright say "travel speed is equal to reaction speeds" but rather lists a criteria in where you can assume one can fight at a speed, note that it states you need tomove, perceive and react at those speeds simultaneously as opposed to just being able to percieve, move or react at a certain speed.

"We scale reactions to travel speed if it's not a inconsistency"

Why should we assume a bullet-dodger can sprint at supersonic speeds without evidence indicating they can do so, and using real life examples, why should we assume MLB players can sprint at the speeds they react without any evidence indicating they can do so?

"But we don't scale travel speed to reactions"

I can agree with that. After all, Peregrine Falcons can travel at 80m/s yet cannot effortlessly dodge whatever a human may throw at it effortlessly.

We tend to do so for the sake of convenience, as we would have to revise a massive amount of profiles to unknown combat speed othervise, but should technically preferably do so if characters are able to manoeuvre between, or avoid, closeby objects while travelling at such speeds.

In any case, this is an extremely bad time to handle this, given all of the other problems currently going on in the wiki.

Don't you get tired of using real life logic when it doesn't work?

People IRL don't tend to have their reactions speed 1359 times higher than their sprint speed. If say, someone proved capable of sidestepping a bullet (reaction speed), then logically they could be able to travel at that speed (It may be considered tiring however), at least somewhere in the same category.

Though we don't do that IIRC. We tend to rate reaction speed-only feat as, well, reaction speed-only.

Antvasima said:
In any case, this is an extremely bad time to handle this, given all of the other problems currently going on in the wiki.
This is the Questions & Answers board, not the Content Revision board. He's not trying to make any changes.

This is a potentially explosive thread, as Matthew is heavily invested in the issue. Perhaps we should un-highlight and close it, and take up the discussion again in a few months time, after things have hopefully considerably calmed down.

"but should technically preferably do so if characters are able to manoeuvre between close by objects while travelling at such speeds."

That's cool, I only have a problem in where a character flies/moves in a straight linear path with nothing implying they had to evade close-range obstacles during their travel.

"People IRL don't tend to have their reactions speed 1359 times higher than their sprint speed."

The same applies towards peoples striking strength/lifting strength yet we don't assume they're interchangeable as characters tend to have massive differences between the two.

Things seem to be calm for the time being, I don't really see a potential "explosion". People will probably forget this thread in a few months, as well.

Because manoeuvring while flying at MFTL+ speed is impossible without adequate reaction speed. It's the reason why it's dangerous to drive a car while you need to sleep. If you can fly but not understand what you are doing, you are going to keep hitting things along the way

I technically agree with AMM's logic about flying in a straight line with no obstacles, but we cannot start a massive revision project for this, and as soon as Matthew enters, this thread is quickly going to turn very partisan. We are not in a position to deal with either right now.

"If you have no problem flying and controlling an MFTL+ ship, how are you not MFTL+?"

I can drive a Formula 1 car through the desert and control it perfectly fine as most of the obstacles are far enough for my innate reactions to react to. I don't need to be Subsonic to control it.

"Because manoeuvring while flying at MFTL+ speed is impossible without adequate reaction speed."

That depends on where and how you're moving, going in a straight line devoid of obstacles doesn't require adequate reaction speed.

Formula 1 in the Desert is a very flawed example, first of all you're driving straight, two you're not turning or controlling it, you're flooring it.

Pilots fly Mach 1 to 2 aircraft in dogfights required you to know beforehand because you'll always fail to react to another plane

If you are moving the car through various obstacles while going at top speed, you do need Subsonic reactions (which is actually a reaction speed not unreachable for regular humans)

Going in a straight line and stopping in front of an object standing still (or where you wanted to stop to begin with) does though. Without the adequate reactions, you would hit/surpass it.

Antvasima said:
I technically agree with AMM's logic about flying in a straight line with no obstacles, but we cannot start a massive revision project for this, and as soon as Matthew enters, this thread is quickly going to turn very partisan. We are not in a position to deal with either right now.
Hm, that is true. But I don't think he's trying to make a revision project. It's still just a question with his own thoughts. Isn't this topic really specific, as well?

"two you're not turning or controlling it,"

If in your previous example this MFTL+ pilot managed to fly full speed and perform evasive actions towards obstacles at very close ranges (speaking like a meter or less here) then I've already agreed that's cool to scale to reactions. My problem lies with travel speed feats which include linear travel without the character having or implied to dodge any obstacles from meter close ranges because as you've proven already you don't need equivalent speeds to do that.

My apologies, but this thread is too dangerous right now, so I am going to close it. You can take up the topic again in a few months time, if the wiki has calmed down by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back