• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why other sites don't like vsbattles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda agree. If there’s no strictness, then unpopular verse supporters can just wank the hell out of it, and no one would be the wiser
I can probably go to comic vine or sth and argue that a verse i added here is 5-B when it's actually only high 6-C

i actually like places with 0 rules, it's fun to wank/downplay characters to extremes never seen before

but alas, it's not for anyone

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thread, but it's just community rivalries, jealousy, people who let simple disagreements be an excuse for flame wars, and many other things that result in people having vastly different tastes in debating styles. Some communities don't like the existence of tiering systems, or make no distinction between destructive capacity vs attack potency and even go as far as to think Dragon Ball is the pretty much the only verse in fiction consistently stronger than tier 9 or so.

But yeah, a lot of people just don't like seeing statistics ratings too high or too low for their liking or just don't like official stats in general. And others prefer the quantity over quality debating style or favor fan votes taking priority over in depth reasoning in favor of one character. But we also have rules that basically say not to start community wars with other websites and avoid community bashing. Which is why I get uneasy when threads like this are made.

i actually like places with 0 rules, it's fun to wank/downplay characters to extremes never seen before

but alas, it's not for anyone
At leats in SB, one generally needs to post sources to back up their claims, so one can say a pony is multiversal or whatever, but one would be forced to show proof; now, there's always someone that take the freedom to interprete a feat (generally statements) as they please.

From what I have found, and am personally aware of - it might suffocate people who are just wanting to put 2 of their favourites in a VS battle, just for it to get shot down because their tiers misalign which usually ends in an AP stomp, making the OP disappointed when the debate doesn't go as intended (basically expecting a usual discussion, just to be met with "AP stomp").

Not that it's actually happened to me, but, I suppose I can buy it if it has been the case for anyone else.

At leats in SB, one generally needs to post sources to back up their claims, so one can say a pony is multiversal or whatever, but one would be forced to show proof; now, there's always someone that take the freedom to interprete a feat (generally statements) as they please.
SB should not be trusted with anything beyond sci fi, especially Exalted. I wanted to put Exalted on VSBW just for this reason.

unfortunately i am broke so I couldn't buy the books, and the Trove is down

from my experience it does. i debate on discord.
Discord isn't really what you would call a good debatting place though.
Kirby's either 1-A or 10-C there.

Although I feel the problem isn't into the rules as much as it is into the application they have, which is why imo a wiki with just rules and no characters profiles would technically be best.

Its a ttrpg named Exalted, there's currently 3 editions, so there's a handful of books with its name.

Personally I like a lot of the powerscaling fandoms to me at least it’s super intreasting to see how different people/communities interpret another’s power

Personally I'm of the opinion that what would be best is if theirs was not Tiers and we simply had scans on the profiles. Trying to get a certain tier is what causes most of the issue on this wiki and most of the rest of the problems are people who are unhappy with the current tiers. It wouldn't solve all problems, but I still think it would be a better alternative... but it would also require such a tremendous rework that its impossible to expect happen and we are stuck with what we have.

Personally I'm of the opinion that what would be best is if theirs was not Tiers and we simply had scans on the profiles. Trying to get a certain tier is what causes most of the issue on this wiki and most of the rest of the problems are people who are unhappy with the current tiers. It wouldn't solve all problems, but I still think it would be a better alternative... but it would also require such a tremendous rework that its impossible to expect happen and we are stuck with what we have.
so people would look at the scans and make their own opinion? without tiers, how would they know which scan is what tier

You know that part where I say their shouldn't be Tiers. As for comparing feats, you debate them and discuss with each other which feat is stronger and then let the votes decide.

Personally I like the tier idea (at least for any tiers below tier 2) since it makes things more clear and concise imo. Although there are times where I disagree with some tiers I feel as if 99% of the time it's just due to how people interpret the rules this site has rather than the rules being the problem.

Then again I've not been on the site for that long and not too into Vs debating so maybe that's why I prefer the guideline structure to Vs debating rather than debating whose interpretation is better.

It would be fun to see though, I saw a guy convince people that Z Broly beats Darkseid with the ALE because the Z Broly debater was much better at debating than the Darkseid debater (one of Seth's vids I think).

It would be fun to see though, I saw a guy convince people that Z Broly beats Darkseid with the ALE because the Z Broly debater was much better at debating than the Darkseid debater (one of Seth's vids I think).
that happened?

huh, so if you get good enough at debating, you can convince people your character transcends all fiction. BRB revisiting the MT > All fiction wank

The simple answer is Wanking.

While wankers love themselves, no one loves wankers.

This place can be a bit of an echo chamber.

Downplaying and wanking are both equally obnoxious, though so is calling everyone wankers or downplayers. And all Vs Debating communities can either be echo chambers, chaotic anarchies with no management, or somewhere in between that actually carries both flaws. And none of them particularly turn out good in the end, but the best of the worst is really the best any of them gets.

Simple: We are the biggest and most popular VS Debate Sites and as we know, how much popular you are = how much hate you get

I want to add more but it was covered by most of you guys above

You know that part where I say their shouldn't be Tiers. As for comparing feats, you debate them and discuss with each other which feat is stronger and then let the votes decide.
Yeah, this is the most appropiated approach; people bring feats and then they compare each other, then reasonable agree who character surpasses the other in certain category. Some SB matches post links to respectthreads so any interested user can take a look at the respective feats that helps them to reach a conclusion (although, respectthreads may lack some context, in which case is appopiated for someone to post the reference).

Yeah, this is the most appropiated approach; people bring feats and then they compare each other, then reasonable agree who character surpasses the other in certain category. Some SB matches post links to respectthreads so any interested user can take a look at the respective feats that helps them to reach a conclusion (although, respectthreads may lack some context, in which case is appopiated for someone to post the reference).
Tiers are nessecary. We don't want a Harry Potter vs Star Butterfly, where Star just completely crushes Harry.
Just because characters have similar powers dosen't mean they should be in equal footing.

Let the debaters find out the most likely outcome by themselves, not all debater want to prove their favorite character's supremacy, they just want to discuss and get fun.

Plus, you say that. But we still get those matches anyway. Either matches where a Tier 5 is placed against a Tier 7 that is slower and has worse hax, one's where the opposite happens and the higher Tier has worse abilities and is stomped, one's where two characters who are in the same Tier but whose level of abilities are worlds apart, or matches where theirs like three posts of actual debate and discussions and the rest is FRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back