• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why does L have martial arts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So didn't really notice this till now but, tis was originally added because of this thread with no real content revision.

When I asked for the reasoning (Due to not remebering it being in the anime as well as asking if it was in the manga) and it was

No he uses it once in the anime, and is shown doing it in the part 2 theme song as well.
To quote the wiki: "Obata mentions being told often that L's fighting style is much like capoeira; the artist claims that he did not consider this when he drew L's fights - he was simply thinking of the most effective method of kicking an adversary while being handcuffed to him. In Obata's opinion, if the style resembles capoeira, then this 'adds another element to it' and 'that makes me happy.'"
Didn't question this reasoning at first but going to start with the first part. Where does he use it in the anime? Just were he kicks Light? Also as it has been said before on this wiki we don't count theme feats.

The creator didn't even intend for L to have martial arts. He never even thought about that, just what was the most effective way to do something.

Am I missing something?

If he never actually displays any martial arts capicty then he shouldn't have it.

Dunno when it was added, you might have to check the character page history

It was added during the debate John Kramer vs L where a user said he had it and I blindly took their word for it. Without a revision thread it was added.

If it's been added for that reason then the ratings and the wins that stemmed from it should be removed. You might have to message a mod though.

I suppose that they should be removed as well.

Would knowing the most efficient way to spin-kick someone while handcuffed not qualify as a certain degree of martial arts knowledge? Certainly not a lot, but it's something, and would certainly be expected of someone with L's background.

I don't think that is enough to qualify him as an experienced martial artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back