• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why DO we add matches to profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, either or. On one hand, this place is more about accuracy and being reliable. That's its main priority over all else, no matter what. VsDebates is simply a sport, and can be used to gauge the strength of said character, or create a dream fight.

However, I can understand OP points.

But, the removal of VsDebates would kinda eliminate the name of this wiki. Imo, that's a drawback that bothers people based on preference. Me? Either or.

Overall, deleting it is more beneficial, requiring mods to only deal with CRTs, instead of CRTS AND battles. But, it bodies sentimental value, and nostalgia. Again, either or.

Bobsican said:
Adding the match is like a hall of fame, it´s meant to be there as a reliable fair record list.
Hall of fames are to credit someone or something. Not to talk down to the team that lost, which is the case with losses being added

DMUA said it as well as I could have.

It's hard to enjoy myself in this place when the community focuses less on an actual debate and more on whether or not a match can be added to a profile and how fast. To say nothing of the kind of mess things turn into when you get people from every side either arguing "s t o m p" to prevent a match from being added, arguing "d e c i s i v e" to get a stomp added, or doing everything else in their power to fight over a matchup addition.

I dunno about the rest of you, but it thoroughly kills the fun for me, and I'd very much like for it to not be a thing anymore.

@Tony Thank you for giving your own reasons, very happy for that.

But yet again, you can still see how strong that character is if they ultimately have the edge in the debate.

I'm going to make an example

Say Erza vs Zoro is made, people are more relaxed as it won't get added, but Erza or Zoro win the debate, people still get the idea that this character is stronger then this character but it doesn't exist as if to mock it

Schnee One said:
Hall of fames are to credit someone or something. Not to talk down to the team that lost, which is the case with losses being added
To win someone has to lose, it´s basic logic.

Meaning that it´s justified to be allowed. after all, it´s a track record of fair matches done with the character, not pure wins, after all.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
Honestly, either or. On one hand, this place is more about accuracy and being reliable. That's its main priority over all else, no matter what. VsDebates is simply a sport, and can be used to gauge the strength of said character, or create a dream fight.

However, I can understand OP points.

But, the removal of VsDebates would kinda eliminate the name of this wiki. Imo, that's a drawback that bothers people based on preference. Me? Either or.

Overall, deleting it is more beneficial, requiring mods to only deal with CRTs, instead of CRTS AND battles. But, it bodies sentimental value, and nostalgia. Again, either or.
To be fair this is a place for indexing mostly.

Schnee One said:
I'd like to have some reasons beyond I agree with Cal guys.

Same for those who simply agree without giving points as to why they should be removed

I mean I said I agreed with Wright as well owo

But seriously the reason I at least am saying I agree with Cal is because he perfectly summarised my own thoughts on this more conscisely then I could do ergo there's no point in going in-depth for reasons already listed

To win someone has to lose, it´s basic logic.

Meaning that it´s justified to be allowed. after all, it´s a track record of fair matches done with the character, not pure wins, after all.

This logic isn't basic because it's downright false. Covering how strong this character is compared to another doesn't mean this character has lost, just one is stronger.

<Track Record of fair matches

.....No, I covered this in half of my OP

Stomp matches is an example that adding matches idea causes.

This character is stronger, they did not win or lose.

It's like a sparring match really.

A compromise would be to get rid of "Notable wins/losses" and just make it "Notable Matches", removing the "my character has a win/loss" arguments. I feel like someone said that before...

I don't know.

To me, it's just part of the order we have here on the wiki.

Adding something is done really to make it official, to make it accepted. It has to be more then the equivalent of a schoolyard argument. When we add threads, it is with the concept in mind that this has been reviewed, and accepted, just as anything else in the wiki is. It's no different than requiring CRT's or threads to change profiles or rules.

The real cal howard said:
A compromise would be to get rid of "Notable wins/losses" and just make it "Notable Matches", removing the "my character has a win/loss" arguments. I feel like someone said that before...
That could be interesting

This could do well, but by now it's too much to change.

Tbh I dont really care if Match Additions are removed or not, however if it would help get rid of some of the toxicity in matches by removing the Additions part then id say remove them.

Why is the match itself not fun if you only care about it being added?
I feel you misread what I just said.

At this point you are not even trying to be helpful or provide points, simply going by what was said above and proving exactly my point in the OP that people are too hung up on matches.

You are saying that adding the match would remove the fun, if that wasn't your point, word it better.

Considering how the staff felt that a similar category addition suggestion was too much, it very well could be.

How about this, I don't even care any longer. I give up. I'm saying this again, one more thread like this and I'm either leaving or taking a long break. Or both.

I mean tbf you'd need to knock out 18k "Others" sections.

Granted we got an entire army of staff to do that

Schnee One said:
@Tony Thank you for giving your own reasons, very happy for that.
But yet again, you can still see how strong that character is if they ultimately have the edge in the debate.

I'm going to make an example

Say Erza vs Zoro is made, people are more relaxed as it won't get added, but Erza or Zoro win the debate, people still get the idea that this character is stronger then this character but it doesn't exist as if to mock it
I understand but to some new users (let's face it, there are a lot of people like me who just came to the profiles looking for the matches) it may be difficult to find some specific thread that doesn't end like a stomp/mismatch.

Also, all debates can be turned around (if they are fair). In your example you pointed out that Erza or Zoro winned but what if at the last moment someone comes in and debunks/refutes the votes for the other character? Some people admittedly (a lot actually) only like to read the first 10 or so posts to have their own idea of who would win.

The thread dies or gets closed and since there is no need to add them the users could get the wrong idea.

Also, there is the staff who close and adds those battles, in the end they could just review everything and decide if the match is "legit" or just made to get "wins/loses". I think there is a thread to add matches where it's even said that those are not the most important thing and that staff should not be pressured to add a match.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself good enough but I will let the othres to decide.

This apears to be possible with a bot.

Just make it remove the bolded text "Inconclusive Matches" and "Notable Losses" and then finally remove the spaces left and change the text of "Notable Victories" to "Notable Matches", effectivelly putting all threads in a single bundle.

Getting rid of the match addition ruins about half of the fun of matches and is the reason I chose to look at OBD and VSB over CV the instant I found out about them. And I'm not exaggerating. People, including myself, would participate far less without the ratio.
/\ I'm not active on threads anymore so I stand neutral. I do, however, 100% agree with this sentiment.

Removing the aspect of adding matches to profiles would be a total shoot in the foot for the wiki because a definitely *not negligible* part of the users do get motivation from the idea of "Who wins" . From seeing that, and the threads they took part in/were a part of added to the profiles of their fave characters/the characters they know enough to debate and provide info on.

They're hardly a central part. Versus matches are the least important thing on an indexing wiki.

Besides, Order kinda goes out the window when either of these problems come up and cause flames

Schnee One said:
They're hardly a central part. Versus matches are the least important thing on an indexing wiki.

Besides, Order kinda goes out the window when either of these problems come up and cause flames
Perhaps, but it's the underlying concept behind them that's important here.

It's still much better then what happens on other wiki's. The less rules, the more insane people get. Just compare stuff here to YouTube comment sections.

I have to disagree with the removal.

If we want to add a disclaimer or something to the section saying how this isn't an any way official or administration-sponsored that would be fine, but removing them outright would kill VS debating for me.

Even though we are an indexing site surely we need something that encourages actual VS Battles...

Promestein said:
I'm inclined to agree but I don't think the effort would be worth it; nothing would really change save for just giving the staff a lot of work in removing them.
By that point don't bother removing them, just stop adding matches to profiles

Schnee One said:
Whenever people say "the VS Matches aren't important", I feel like that's innacurate.

A good chunk of the activity in the wiki comes from the VS Threads Board.

I literally need to take one look at Recent Wiki and a good chunk of every reply I see will be coming from the VS Threads Board.

Not to mention the ammount of replies and activity they get frequently reaches the hundreds as opposed to many CRTs which doesn't quite always go there.

I won't go as far as saying "It's the main source/purpose" of the wiki but it definitely constitutes a big aspect of it, in all aspects of the formula.

You know, if the wins/loses are deleated then why not change the name of the wikia too? since you know, it instantaneously gives you the idea of battles happening all the time?

Change it to something like "Indexing Fictional Characters" so people knows to come less here.

Don't mind this post, I'm salty for this thread

Hl3 or bust said:
Not only is that practically impossible to accomplish without a huge amount of effort, but it kinda kills the whole appeal of vs debating for people.

No one is gonna remember everyone that Sans beats, or that TMQ has inconed. That's what that section's for, is it not?
Why? Especially all the reasons that have been argued back and forth?

I already went over this point in the OP, please bring some new points to the table like some others have been

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back