• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why do ship speeds scale to the pilots' reactions?

Other two points still remain. The backlash from basically saying that there's no way to be MFTL or higher (because there's basically no way to reach that without space travel or being a Flash. And yes, I'm aware that we wouldn't start a revision) would make the backlash to dimensional tiering look like school-ground gossip. And no, this is not a bash on dimensional tiering. If anything, it's a bash on the dissenters.

MFTL+ rankings wouldn't be affected by series where it's made clear that their movement over short distances is far higher than their travel speed though.

The cases in which it is explicitly stated is very few. Yes, I'm aware of how I had proof that Kirby character's combat speed=travel speed, but it's not explicitly stated. Legitimate only case I can think of is Wonder Woman. Not even a verse. Just Wonder Woman.

Comic characters aren't even scaled to their travel speeds in the first place.

EDIT: To use something that isn't explicitly stated.

Say there's a series with an FTL travel speed feat. It isn't ever said they fight faster than they fly, but we see them move at FTE speeds to each other all the time. Given that, bar some "sixth sense" you have to at least be able to see when you're flying, we can assume they scale to their travel speed.

Provided it's consistent, of course.

Hmm. The potential backlash would be a major problem, yes.

The real cal howard said:
Proves my point even more.
See the edit. Although I'm not sure how that really proves your point, since we've gotten by just fine without scaling comic characters to their reactions.

Noticed the edit. How it proved my point is that it started with comics, and it would spread like wildfire afterwards. Something like "first the city, then the world" or some scenario like that.

Also, comic profiles have the most unknowns out of any other media. So no, we haven't done just fine (no offense or snarkiness meant to be written at all)

What do the rest of you think?

Im kinda confused as to why there would be backlash, could someone please elaborate for me?

Because it would risk to give a lot of profiles with previous high speed statistics Unknown, or much lesser, ratings in the long run.

Basically we have to choose between if we should go by what is more correct, but might alienate part of our audience, and turn them hostile towards us, or continue as currently?

We should what is right, not what is easy.

Also the backlash argument isnt very good now that I understand the circumstances. For example look at every time a DB upgrade is denied, that alone alienates a decent portion of the wiki considering how many want to see the upgrades happen. Case and point look at the dozens of people who got angry Vegeta didnt get the upgrade for blowing up TROSAT.

Nah. I think that Dragon Ball has been established as having higher movement than flight speeds.

My point still stands, just because the DB community will get pissy, doesnt mean we have to bend to their demands. Angering people with downgrades was never a problem before it shouldnt be one now.

I am also very uncertain about this. We should preferably get quite a lot of staff input before making a decision. It places us in a tough spot, but we needed to talk about it at some point.

To address above things, no, DBZ wouldn't really be affected. In fact that's what I was thinking of when I was talking about combat speed being higher than travel speed. But something like, eh, Farnsworth , would be changed to MFTL+ Travel Speed with Below Average Human Reactions.

Back