• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Yes, the revision was originally intended to be handled by TheMightyRegulator, but he quit from the wiki halfway.

Currently we are waiting for Promestein to get enough free time to handle it.

Ive heard talk on Comicvine that Battler at one point in the story should be on Bern's level.

Well, Bern's avatar in any case, but that is just a vague recollection of an explanation I was told long ago.

Is this revision going on currently or is it still postponed? No hurry or anything, just curious because me and a friend are discussing Umineko

Promestein has been busy with other tasks and real life.

Actually, Battler was beating the shit out of Bernkastel and even prevented Featherine from interfering. He didn't beat her because he was trying to encourage Ange.

That was just an avatar, and avatars are not 1-A. I'm also pretty sure Featherine was just watching for the lulz, but it's been awhile since I've read Umineko.

I have a friend who just read Umineko and he claims that there were no statements or evidence to suggest it was an anything less than the full Bern.

Higurashi and Umineko aren't the only things Ryukishi had wrote that are part of the cosmology. You should check the When They Cry Revision thread .

The Bern thing IIRC it's from Umineko Tsubasa (tho I may be wrong), where Bern writes a letter to Featherine about Beatrice and her game with Battler, and ask her to revive again. In the main VN, when Featherine shows up, Bernkastel had no idea about Auau being revived again, meaning that the Bern we see in the main Umineko story is an avatar/Piece of the main Bernkastel.

Ovy7 said:
Higurashi and Umineko aren't the only things Ryukishi had wrote that are part of the cosmology. You should check the When They Cry Revision thread .

The Bern thing IIRC it's from Umineko Tsubasa (tho I may be wrong), where Bern writes a letter to Featherine about Beatrice and her game with Battler, and ask her to revive again. In the main VN, when Featherine shows up, Bernkastel had no idea about Auau being revived again, meaning that the Bern we see in the main Umineko story is an avatar/Piece of the main Bernkastel.
......Isn't that simply a matter of retcon? Ryukishi has said in interviews that he changed aspects of Umineko as he wrote it, most notably Bern and Lambda's intended roles in the narrative. I'm pretty sure that he didn't have a solid idea for Featherine when he wrote Letter of Bernkastel, only defining her and her relationship with Bern by the time he wrote EP6.

Nanayon123 said:
Ovy7 said:
Higurashi and Umineko aren't the only things Ryukishi had wrote that are part of the cosmology. You should check the When They Cry Revision thread.

......Isn't that simply a matter of retcon? Ryukishi has said in interviews that he changed aspects of Umineko as he wrote it, most notably Bern and Lambda's intended roles in the narrative. I'm pretty sure that he didn't have a solid idea for Featherine when he wrote Letter of Bernkastel, only defining her and her relationship with Bern by the time he wrote EP6.
Can you give source on this interview?

Nanayon123 said:
Ovy7 said:

The interview only said that he was not going to give them significant roles at the beginning of the creation of the game. And in the first episodes, Bern was just a cameo character who helped the main character.

And the "Letter of Bernkastel" from Tsubasa, which came out with EP8.

Not that it all mattered, given that avatars (bunshins or doubles) aka piece versions of self are not some unique mechanics that were used only once. Throughout the game, you constantly see different incarnations of witches on different layers.

And these are not just weaker projections of the same thing (although direct control is also possible), they are autonomous personalities. For example, in episode 4, you see two Beatrices from the upper layers talking to each other and one replaces the other to control an avatar in the human world. And not one of them was even the highest version of Beatrice.

And the same thing is used in Saku, where you see meta-room Battler, Ange and Beatrice and Beatrice, who participate in the game but don't know the details about it, because they are just pieces for this game, while their higher versions watch it from an even higher layer (smoking room).

DarkLK said:
And the "Letter of Bernkastel" from Tsubasa, which came out with EP8.
Tsubasa's stories were originally short stories in physical text form only, written as Ryukishi wrote Umineko. According to this: https://ramblingsofthegoldenwitch.t...437/what-about-letter-of-bernkastel-you-didnt

It's likely that Letter of Bernkastel was originally published by the time of EP3, way before Featherine is introduced. Though it's likely that he already had a concept for something or someone like that, as Lambda's TIP was also apparently published around the same time, that one that introduces the concept of the infinite ladder and the idea of Creator Witches. My point is, I don't think that Bern and Featherine's divergent relatonship between Letter of Bernkastel and the main VN can serve as evidence that the Bern we saw in Umineko was just an avatar of the real deal. If we want to go that angle, there are more concrete examples, like how she interacted with EP7's gameboard.

It was originally published in a brochure on Comiket between EP3 and EP4. But what difference does it make if the VN version was released along with the last episode? If something needed to be fixed, then it would be fixed in the game version (typos were corrected, for example). "Our Confession" was also originally in text form, but a game version was created in Saku. And there were also some adjustments (choice of point of view from Featherine's position).

This is not a retcon or contradiction, but the actual thing that was paid attention to in the main work. In the EP8 itself, the narrator said that it was Bern who revived her master. This obviously applies to events from the letter, because Umineko game version of Bern didn't do anything like that. And the fact that this letter was added to Tsubasa only confirms the relevance of this.

Back