• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why are Toph's description for Sandbending and Metalbending copy-pasted from the Avatar Wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Toph's page today just out of curiosity, and couldn't help but notice that her descriptions for sandbending and metalbending come directly from the Avatar Wiki:

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Toph_Beifong#Earthbending

I know all contributions to Wikia are to be released under the CC-BY-SA, (or whatever it is) but this is kind of shameful. We should probably change it to something else.

Perhaps the descriptions for sandbending and metalbending can be re-written to avoid plagiarism issues?

I'll re-write the descriptions, post it here, and people can check it or something.

Rewritten descriptions would be preferred, but if no one is willing to do so (I would, but I haven't seen the show in ages), then we would have to cite them like Nico said.

Well, as per me, the following desc. would probably be acceptable:

"Sandbending: Using her Seismic Sense, Toph is also capable of bending sand, using it for both offensive and defensive purposes as she would use earth. Although initially described as loose and hard to bend, Toph has gained proficiency in bending sand to a degree as well as her regular Earthbending. She can also condense the sand for easier bending.

Metalbending: Using her Seismic Sense, Toph is able to detect the earth particles within metals, and can, therefore, bend metal for her own use. Most Earthbending techniques are available in Metalbending. During her time with the Metalbending Police Force, she also used the metal as a method of transport in the form of a grappling hook. However, Toph cannot bend highly refined materials, such as platinum."

I am obviously fine with rewriting the text. I do not like when people copy-paste from other wikis, and we technically have a rule against that,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back