• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why are 2-A DnD characters so strong?

I heard that the verse got some infinite scaling chain or something?
Greater Gods can affect the infinite planes, each infinite in size, that surround infinite material planes each with its own set of planes, some of them having infinite layers. And that's just the basic Greater God, with a Divinity Rating of 16; every number higher than that completely stomps the last one (and can go up to 20), bypassing any immunity and resistance of the lower one.

The highest of them all is Vecna, who is powerful enough to stalemate the restricted Lady of Pain, who can completely and utterly stomp Orcus with the Last Word, who was capable of completely stomping Greater Gods to an insane degree.

There is no complete list of D&D Resistances, as the verse comprises some 600+ books. However, a decent list based on half a dozen or so books (incomplete) can be found here:

Lephyr gives a good summary of the 2-A level that they have. The fact that the multiverse is layered so many times means that the level of infinity experienced by D&D 2-As is generally a larger infinity compared to other verses. Coincidentally, we're working on reviewing gods and such, so a new-ish list can be found in the link below, where we will provide proper sources for shit (so people don't have to ask anymore).

Tabletop games and the people who work on them frighten me because the lore is batshit crazy 98% of the time-

Aye. Just like anything with a long lifespan, crazy shit happens at some point.

Immortality is just being resistant to death, while regen is recovering from damage. The latter can factor into the former, but you can be Immortal with no regeneration.

I should also mention that the 1-A stuff exists but for the most part is limited to madness manipulation and travel/range for all but three characters at the moment.

I think it actually encompasses a couple of other abilities besides Madness, like one of the spells was BFR iirc, but the list is small. I don't think it matters much though.

Aye. Just like anything with a long lifespan, crazy shit happens at some point.
Yaep. I'm not that versed in D&D, just about the same as the average RPG afficionado, methinks, and that statement is very true.

Most things that are several decades old, particularly tabletop RPGs that by necessity need to have lots of written material published, has incredibly insane capabilities. The more I read about 40k, which I understand quite a bit more than D&D, the more I realize the rabbit hole is deeper than I know. Far deeper.

Oh, absolutely. Shit happens when you're forced to dole out writing to a team or, god forbid, multiple teams of people. Creative visions blur, etc etc.

LAYERS AND MORE LAYERS

ALL HAX IN VERSE BEING RESISTED BY EVERYONE AND ALL HAX IN THE VERSE APPLIES TO ALL VSBW HAX

that's it really.

The layers and layers thing is a simpler thing. But usually the feats we scale people to are rather straight foreword. The Olympians are stronger than Multiversal concepts, Asmodeus moved the Abyss with just his strength, Mystra's death wave and other Greater Gods upscaling from that.

The hax stuff is more that like, D&D has such a vast swath of spells that its likely going to apply to every P&A we have listed, if not more or less any relevant combat P&A in terms of resistance.

All of your posts have been saying D&D is fodder, yes. I apologize that D&D nerd bad tabletop reaches High 1-A and Goku does not.

All of your posts have been saying D&D is fodder, yes. I apologize that D&D nerd bad tabletop reaches High 1-A and Goku does not.
dnd is either fodder or too powerful to be good in debates

also i think high 1-A is sus and i would rather have it be 2 layers into 1-A at the most

also i think high 1-A is sus and i would rather have it be 2 layers into 1-A at the most
If Lumi is the DM, as the forgotten realms q&a tell, then he can put himself or anything he wants as infinitely superior to the likes of the rulers of the far realm, that are already infinitely superior to baseline 1-A. His control is such, that he can create as many hierarchies as he wants, and still see them all as fiction, no matter how many or how complex he makes them. That's why he has High 1-A as a possible.

If Lumi is the DM, as the forgotten realms q&a tell, then he can put himself or anything he wants as infinitely superior to the likes of the rulers of the far realm, that are already infinitely superior to baseline 1-A. His control is such, that he can create as many hierarchies as he wants, and still see them all as fiction, no matter how many or how complex he makes them. That's why he has High 1-A as a possible.
not enough evidence for me, but let's agree to disagree.

Frankly what you'd rather have the verse at isn't really important. I'd rather have the verse peak at Tier 2. What we have now, however, is genuinely the most accurate. Everything up to 1-A is the most straightforward justifications I have seen for those ratings on this wiki, and I've seen some real mental gymnastics in those departments. I generally distrust our "high tier experts" due to their inconsistencies, but two of them equally supported Lumi being rated as High 1-A based on the evidence (I seem to recall one of them pushing for 0 as well).

It is what it is. I'm fine with leaving them out of debates, debates are the most annoying shit on the site.

Tbh I think it's kinda odd how well sourced the 1-A part of their profile is, but the High 1-A, which has a more iffy justification, don't even have a single scan.

Not saying the rating's necessarily wrong, but it mostly read itself as "author tier character so inaccessible".

but the High 1-A, which has a more iffy justification, don't even have a single scan.
To the profiles defense, the justification for High 1-A were in the large blog post linked in the 1-A section. Which is where the relevant scan is.

but two of them equally supported Lumi being rated as High 1-A based on the evidence (I seem to recall one of them pushing for 0 as well).
High 1-A is a harder justification if we had that 1-A old one upgrade pushed through tbf

Tbh I think it's kinda odd how well sourced the 1-A part of their profile is, but the High 1-A, which has a more iffy justification, don't even have a single scan.

Not saying the rating's necessarily wrong, but it mostly read itself as "author tier character so inaccessible".
I can actually explain why the 1-A bit is somewhat asinine in terms of how many sources are given. At some point in the distant past, a few staff members (mainly Matt, at the time) were displeased with D&D, early on into our work with it. Matt came into a thread about the higher tier stuff (1-A and High 1-B) and denied everything, even when shown scans, so when it got put through basically everything in regards to those was spelled out painstakingly.

I know little to **** all about the High 1-A thing besides that I had to pester Ultima and Aeyu for ages to get them to give me a solid damn answer.

To the profiles defense, the justification for High 1-A were in the large blog post linked in the 1-A section. Which is where the relevant scan is.
Oh, I didn't know it was that blog. I remember disagreeing with its reasonning for high 1-A there (and after checking it looks like it didn't change); but it's my bad on the justification not being sourced.

I can actually explain why the 1-A bit is somewhat asinine in terms of how many sources are given. At some point in the distant past, a few staff members (mainly Matt, at the time) were displeased with D&D, early on into our work with it. Matt came into a thread about the higher tier stuff (1-A and High 1-B) and denied everything, even when shown scans, so when it got put through basically everything in regards to those was spelled out painstakingly.

I know little to **** all about the High 1-A thing besides that I had to pester Ultima and Aeyu for ages to get them to give me a solid damn answer.
So that's why 1-A and coe seemed more "solid". Understood.

2-A was more piece meal over a long period of time. High 1-B and 1-A were back to back.

Back