• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which type of immortality is it?

A6colute

VS Battles
Retired
We have characters, who cannot die, because they will be live until they can think.

It's not those characters' unique ability. It's their verse's feature.

Then...

Which type of immortality is it?

1: Longevity: Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes, such as old age or conventional illness, but can be killed by unnatural causes.

No, because they cannot be killed completely.

2: Immortality without Regenerationn: Characters with this degree of immortality can survive a high degree of physical damage, though they cannot regenerate from it either.

No, because they can regenerate also.

3: Immortality via Regenerationn: Characters with this type of immortality can simply regenerate damage, though the usefulness of this type depends on the degree of Regenerationn.

No, because they cannot die even after erasing from the existence.

4: Immortality via godhood, or protection from a deity: A character that was either granted immortality by a god, or is immortal because of its hierarchical position due to godhood, so that its divine immortality is less a power, and more treated as a consequence of its state of being as a deity.

No, because this immortality has been granted from the verse's mechanics, not from some god. And even usual souls have this immortality.

5: Perfect Immortality: Complete and utter inability to ever die. This is typically reserved for questionable omnipotents and cosmic characters who are strong enough that dying isn't exactly high on their list of worries, even if they were capable of it.

No, because even usual souls have this immortality.

6: Parasitic: The person attains a sort of immortality by bodyhopping, transferring their soul to another body

No, because they can continue to live even without any physical body.

7: Undead: Self explanatory. The undead generally double up with other types of immortality, often being impossible to kill through conventional means.

No, because they are not undeads.

8: Reliant Immortality: The power to be immortal so long as a certain object, person, concept etc. exists.

No, because even usual souls have this immortality.

So... Which type of immortality is it?

My guess would be 8. They're relient on the concept of their verses "power" that allows them to do this?

Let's say it's this gemstone that everyone carries. Wouldn't that be what they're relient on to stay immortal?

Sera Loveheart recently suggested a new form of Regenerationn that is called "True Godly", and makes characters able to regenerate from all destruction within space and time, hence all that have Outerverse level durability.

Perhaps the Immortality page should be adjusted with an extra option in conjunction?

Sera already made her suggestion for type 9 immortality in the Type 4 and 8 Immortality. She called it "meta-immortality".

"Immortal status of higher cosmic entities that are not alive or dead in a conventional sense, standing outside the ordinary laws of reality, time and dimensionality (of any number). The destruction of such a being, if possible, can only be done by a being of a similar or higher order."

Sera already made her suggestion for type 9 immortality in the Type 4 and 8 Immortality. She called it "meta-immortality".

status of higher cosmic entities

Even usual souls have this immortality. Not only some higher cosmic entities.

Umineko characters have Types 1, 3, and 8.

Umineko characters have an appropriate power level.

Indeed. I was saying that for some reason, they have been listed as types 1, 3, and 8. They should have type 9 but it hasn't been accepted yet.

Main problem:

New (9) type of Immortality feets only for "higher cosmic entities".

But what if some usual (low level) characters have meta-metaphysical immortality (cannot be completely killed in the physical world and even in the metaphysical plane)?

I see what you mean. Yeah, it would include those kinds of creatures as well.

In my opinion Type 3, with Mid-Godly / High-Godly Regenerationn would do that.

They can not die after erasing them from existence <=> Regenerating when nothing of them is left

So at least mid-godly.

If they can not die even if the layers they exist on (and higher layers in which those layers exist) are erased they would even have high godly.

So I think Type 3 with High godly regen would satisfy what is given, no?

So I think Type 3 with High godly regen would satisfy what is given, no?

It's not a Regenerationn... Well, they have some Regenerationn also, but their immortality is a completely different matter.

To put it simply... You can erase them from a metaphysical plane. But they will not die. They will continue to exist in the some other plane, which is neither physical nor metaphysical. But they don't regenerate their bodies/souls within physical or metaphysical world.

So one could say it's a bit like they are players of a Virtual Reality Game and the Game is the physical and metaphysical world.

They are they characters in the game and as the character they can interact with the world and the character can be damaged and killed. But if that happens they won't die, since their "true self" exist outside the game and would basically just get a "game over" and be thrown out of the game if that happens.

Would that more or less fit?

If so I think this is a not a form of Immortality, since their "true self" never is really hit by any attack due to existing in some other plane.

Essentially whether they are immortal or not they wouldn't be at risk of dying since the things attacked aren't their "true self", but just Avatars they embody.

So more than enduring the damage of an attack by being immortal, they are never really damaged in the first place.

That would seem like a form of defensive hax, that doesn't fall under any of the abilities that we have listed.

This implies a multi-level existence, rather than in a video game where you aren't your character, you just control them.

This being can be erased from the physical, spritual-mental, and/or metaphysical worlds and still be alive because they exist, in some form, in some transcendent realm that is neither of the above.

That would seem like a form of defensive hax, that doesn't fall under any of the abilities that we have listed.

Hmm, not exactly...

When they are in the physical body - both soul/consciousness and body are in the physical world.

When they are in the metaphysical plane - their souls/consciousnesses are in the metaphysical plane.

They are like some type of wanderers, who related with some world/plane, but do not depend on it.

Sera Loveheart said:
This implies a multi-level existence, rather than in a video game where you aren't your character, you just control them.
I specifically used a Virtual Reality videogame as metaphor, since in those you, in a sense, are your character while playing.

Of course not really, but you know... metaphors are metaphors, because they are not quite the real thing, but close enough to make the essential parts easier to think about.

This being can be erased from the physical, spritual-mental, and/or metaphysical worlds and still be alive because they exist, in some form, in some transcendent realm that is neither of the above.

Yeah. In the VN said:

"souls can exist while they can think"

So, those souls can die only if their consciousness is lost its individuality.

In that case I would be back at high-godly Regenerationn, since if their conciousness is destroyed (aka they are reduced to nothing) they regenerate their conciousness in another plane.

Even if they don't regenerate anything else they would probably need at least that much to be able to act.

The switch to another plane when they regenerate would be a secondary effect.

That's mid-godly regen. High godly states they regenerate even if all reality is destroyed. But I am trying to add a regen above high godly, one where you are similar in nature to nonexistence (beyond duality) so if you are erased from binary existence/nonexistence you still regenerate.

Hmm, not sure that we should mix usual Regenerationn and special cases like this.

I, personally, think, that better add another type of immortality.

Something like:

Transcendental immortality - characters with this type of immortality cannot die because their true selves exist independently with plane where they can be killed.

I am personally fine with:

"Transcendental immortality - Characters with this type of immortality cannot die because their true selves exists independently from the plane where they can be killed."

I typed something long, but scratched it, since I am essentially just arguing about semantics either way.

In my opinion it either fits the definition of high-godly regen or isn't immortality, but that is purely a definition based bla bla.

If sufficient characters have it to make it so that not putting an explanation on each characters profile saves a lot of time I am all for creating an ability page.

Whether that is now a separate page or put on the immortality page doesn't really matter in the end, so doing it this way is fine as well IMO.

That doesn't sound like immortality unless you include that such a character has a multi-level existence. As in they exist on (for example) the physical, mental, spiritual, and conceptual planes of existence. If you kill the character physically, they are still alive because they exist in other planes (perhaps as some form of consciousness, abstraction, or essence form).

That is an immortality different from the type 9 I am proposing as well as the true godly regen I am propsing on the other thread. All three of them are different.

That is an immortality different from the type 9 I am proposing as well as the true godly regen I am propsing on the other thread. All three of them are different.

Yes, it's different. Therefore I think we should add new type of immortality for those special cases.

10: Transcendental immortality: Characters with this type of immortality cannot die because their true selves exist independently with plane where they can be killed. For example, soul doesn't die if body will be killed. And a conceptual being doesn't die even if its body, soul, etc will be erased from the existence.

Something like that.

@Sera Can you summarise your previous suggestion as well?

"Immortality of higher cosmic entities that are not alive or dead in a conventional sense, standing outside the ordinary laws of reality, temporality, and dimensionality (of any number). The destruction of such a being, if possible, can only be done by a being of a similar or higher existence."

Well, that makes two new forms of immortality to be added to the list then.

@Sera What do you think that we should call your suggestion?

The type I proposed is "Meta-immortality" and the type A6 proposed, he called "Transcendent Immortality". Which one would be type 9 and type 10 is up to you.

Okay. I will add both of them to the list then.

Btw: Some character examples for each of the immortality types would be appreciated.

The OP's immortality doesn't sound different from DETERMINATION from Undertale.

Characters from Undertale is able to exist even outside any metaphysical constructs?

Btw: Some character examples for each of the immortality types would be appreciated.

Tokiha Misa and other characters from Notch (for Transcendent Immortality).

Back