• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which is the better tree breaking calc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
So, I recently had a calc approved, not knowing there already was a calc for that feat.

So as is custom we need a thread to decide which calc is better.

And... well, Fanta's calc makes the assumption that the fractured area has the diameter of the tree at its thickest part and is as high as that diameter. I.e. the volume he uses is Pi*(Diameter of thickest part / 2)^2 * (Diameter of Thickest part)

And... that's just a completely arbitrary and provably wrong assumption? I have no idea how that got approved. (I blame all those common feats calcs not properly spelling out assumptions) We see the fractured area and it's neither at the thickest part of the tree nor is it that high.

So yeah, for my calc I scaled the diameter at the part where the tree was fractured and just scaled the actual height of the fractured area, too. Simple and straightforward.

Hence... I think we should use my version.

Hey, hey, fanta here. As the calc-maker... I'm of the same opinion as DT; i.e, go with his calc. I also have to admit that I forgot that calc existed for the most part. Welp, i'm off to continue my movie night, bai.

I think taking the ultimate tensile strength of the specific area affected would be more accurate than both.

Yeah, I can see that. It's a little weird to assume the height of the broken tree area to be the same as the diameter, which wound up including some superfluous parts of the tree.

(Side notes, I can see common feats being touchy like that. I literally had to specify a residential door when doing the feat for pounding a door open)

I think taking the ultimate tensile strength of the specific area affected would be more accurate than both.
I think that's for pulling outwards. Flexural strength would be more accurate for this case (bending until snappage). Saying that because I had used flexural strength before for bending feats.

I think that's for pulling outwards. Flexural strength would be more accurate for this case (bending until snappage). Saying that because I had used flexural strength before for bending feats.
I think you're right. This link has the flexural modulus of a different type of oak to be about ~12 gigapascals, but the flexural yield strength is only 56.5 megapascals. I am unsure of which one to use, but I think its the modulus as it is typically regarded to be higher than the tensile strength. I think whichever is right would be the most accurate method.

I think you're right. This link has the flexural modulus of a different type of oak to be about ~12 gigapascals, but the flexural yield strength is only 56.5 megapascals. I am unsure of which one to use, but I think its the modulus as it is typically regarded to be higher than the tensile strength. I think whichever is right would be the most accurate method.
Strength is the more usable here. I dunno what the eff we're supposed to do with modulus anything.

At a glance I think the pixelscaling in the other calc is better as it uses her actual height instead of pixelscaling her thigh in a scene where both of her legs are put together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back