• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is the difference between unlimited and infinite?

There is no difference. They are the one and the same thing.

Infinite, Limitless, boundless, unlimited, endless, unending, they all mean the same thing. Hyperboles are hyperboles and apply to all things and isn't just limited to these particular words.

It depends on how these terms are used. In some uses both words can be synonymous. But let me give two intuitive and concrete examples of a usage that may be different.

Let's take a simple mathematical and intuitive example. Let's have two sets. One is the set of natural numbers and the other is the set of integers. The set of natural numbers starts from 0 and goes to + infinity. There is no limit in the direction of + infinity, but we can say that 0 is a limit. Therefore, the natural numbers are infinite, but they have a limit (0). Since the natural numbers have a beginning, they also have a limit. On the other hand, in the case of the set of integers going from - infinity to + infinity, we cannot talk about any limit. The integers are both infinite and unlimited.

Another example would be the empty space. Let's think of all space as a flat surface, stretching infinitely in every direction. If we cannot reach a limit to this space no matter how far we go, it will be both infinite and unlimited. On the other hand, let's think of space as the surface of a ball. In this space, we can't reach the limit of space by walking. What we do is to keep going and going and going back to where we were before. So this space has no boundary, but since its size is finite, we can say that it is finite. I hope I have been able to help you.

It depends on how these terms are used. In some uses both words can be synonymous. But let me give two intuitive and concrete examples of a usage that may be different.

Let's take a simple mathematical and intuitive example. Let's have two sets. One is the set of natural numbers and the other is the set of integers. The set of natural numbers starts from 0 and goes to + infinity. There is no limit in the direction of + infinity, but we can say that 0 is a limit. Therefore, the natural numbers are infinite, but they have a limit (0). Since the natural numbers have a beginning, they also have a limit. On the other hand, in the case of the set of integers going from - infinity to + infinity, we cannot talk about any limit. The integers are both infinite and unlimited.

Another example would be the empty space. Let's think of all space as a flat surface, stretching infinitely in every direction. If we cannot reach a limit to this space no matter how far we go, it will be both infinite and unlimited. On the other hand, let's think of space as the surface of a ball. In this space, we can't reach the limit of space by walking. What we do is to keep going and going and going back to where we were before. So this space has no boundary, but since its size is finite, we can say that it is finite. I hope I have been able to help you.
Thank you for caring and replying. Your explanation is very clear and nice, I understand this issue now.

Back