• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What type of immortality is quantum suicide?

So i have looked at this which is basically the idea that if there is a possibility of you dying or surviving then your concious will split into the universe where you survived in an infinite multiverse making you immortal.

This would obviously not be applicable to any characters profile (unless they established the reality where they survive or something), but if it were, would this fall under a certain type of immortality? Or would it just be something like probability manipulation?

I do not think that it is automatically included in this type of acausality.

Well, if you change one timeline, the alternative versions will presumably be unaffected, but you have a point.

I suppose that we do not have this type of immortality without acausality included in this page, and given how rare the ability is, I suppose that it is unlikely that it will be added.

That probably wouldnt be the case with someone who establishes quantum suicide to reality. Maybe acasuality type 3 should say something like "this normally grants them immunity to changes" to make things look a bit better.

Maybe, but I cannot impose such changes on my own without further input.

You can politely ask Promestei to comment here if you wish. She was the one who rewrote the Acausality page.

C╠Âr╠Âa╠Âp╠Â.╠ ╠ÂI╠ ╠Âd╠Âi╠Âd╠Ân╠Ât╠ ╠Âr╠Âe╠Âa╠Âl╠Âi╠Âs╠Âe╠ ╠Âp╠Âr╠Âo╠Âm╠Âe╠Âs╠Ât╠Âe╠Âi╠Ân╠ ╠Âw╠Âa╠Âs╠ ╠Âa╠ ╠Âs╠Âh╠Âe╠ ╠Â0╠Â_╠Â0╠Â

Will do.

Type 3s would be immune to changes in the past if you aren't changing all their pasts.

Also if you survive by splitting into a timeline that you'd avoid death, having an attack that gaurantees death in all possibilities would still kill.

True. But quantum suicide could potentially take your concious to a point in a universe before the fight even began or the attack was thrown. But I suppose everyone does reach a point where there is 0% chance of survival.

Wokistan So assuming quantum suicide is fact. If i went back in time and killed you as a baby (sry bruh), would you not be affected from your own perspective?

Techincally no because if there is a reality where one person is dead there will always be split reality where one survives, unless of course you are killed in all realities simultaneously as Assaltwaffle said.

I watched the video and from what I understand it mentions one of the multiverses theory that every action you take creates a new universe that you take different take action from this.

It is immortality type 7 (reliant immortality) if the A person in the U-1 continue living because in a version of him continues to live in the U-2 so A reliant to his other selves.

It is acausality if the one of the A's other version can survive the destruction of the original and act in their place otherwise it isn't. The character probably needs to travel the original's universe.

While surviving something via probability manipulation (transferring yourself to a version of you that survives an event), you can't escape everything. If you're a normal human in durability and someone destroys the planet, you're not going to survive that no matter how lucky you get. There is zero chance of survival.

Unless of course, considering there are infinite possible outcomes, there is probably a reality where the planet doesn't get destroyed tho.

I mean how back do you want to go? If you treat that as in "every possibility for every outcome that has ever happened" then you have a crapton of possible outcomes to choose from (not infinite, though. Never infinite)

Since this is a character, though, I think the max it could go it "every possivle outcome for every event that has ever happened after the birth of X character".

Well under the assumption that there are unquantifiable ammount of possible realities, near infinite isn't much of a streach.

Even then a character is still bound to the cause and effect of the reality before his birth. Like, let's assume the planetary destruction scenario, if character A is born in a reality where the planet will blow up by irrelevant means due to accidents before his birth he will die 100% in those splits of reality, however there will also be a reality where he was born on Earth where the previous actions that took place that lead to the destruction of the Earth didn't happen, meaning he lives.

That is interesting. If quantum suicide sends you back to the point where there is a chance of survival then it would mean that your concious is forced into the universe where your life is the longest possible. And possibly that you have actually been through all of the shorter lives and died in every way with this life being your longest. Kind of strange to think about.

This actually brings up a very interesting quandry. For characters that get "replaced" by other versions of themselves, can they be counted as the same individual? It seems like in most cases they would fail several theories of the self.

Depends on what we qualify of what a "self" is I guess. If we go by the route of the existence of a soul, then every person that went through the process of quantum immortality, under the assumption, that they share the same soul should qualify as the "same individual".

This should also be the case if we argue that the "self" is genetic and comes from the parents, if we assume every time you came from the same parents then again, techincally, you would be the "same person".

But if we assume that experiences and brain patterns is the thing that makes the "self" then, I would say no you wouldn't be the "same person" considering every split that happens makes a different "you".

I guess this would leave us with depending on what we classive as I we would get different answers, in my opinion anyway.

I'd go with Type 3 Acausality and Type 9 Immortality.

Promestein So what do you think about type 3 acasuality being unaffected by changes in the past? Do you think it is always the case? Or should it be changed to something that can happen?

Read this post said:
That probably wouldnt be the case with someone who establishes quantum suicide to reality. Maybe acasuality type 3 should say something like "this normally grants them immunity to changes" to make things look a bit better.
@Promestein

What do you think about this? It is the reason for why we needed your input.

I can't get what was the problem at first...

You had been talking about why does the Acausality type 3 have this line in it, right? "This also grants them immunity to changes in the past."

Well, the issue is what we should do with characters who transport their consciousness to an alternate timeline version upon death, but are not immune to changes in the past.

Antvasima said:
Well, the issue is what we should do with characters who transport their consciousness to an alternate timeline version upon death, but are not immune to changes in the past.
I can't think about a way that the past can affect this kind of "immortality", since if this guy can't die due to this ability, his present body will always send his consciousness to alternate one, what means that his past is protected, by everytime some change would be done in the past and will affect him directly to the point of death his ability will come in hand and transport his consciousness to another alternate body of his...

But yet changes that doesn't kill him he would still be able to experience, so yeah i got the point now xD after commenting all of this.

That would just be a character specific weakness, I guess.

Well, it seems like too rare an ability to create an entirely new type of immortality for it.

By saying

"This also grants them immunity to changes in the past"

what does it mean?

that every change no matter if it will harm you or directly affect you in any way so it wouldn't work on you, or only if it going to risk your existence at this alternate timeline?

Because then it makes difference.

I am not sure. Promestein might be able to help.

Quantum immortality doesn't really give you immunity to changes in the past. Technically it would be pseudo immunity, because unless someone kills you in every single past possible there will always be at least one version of you that survives. But whether that's the current "you" or another one in a parallel universe is pure RNG.

Back