• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What magnitude would this quaking be?

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
Context:

Everything shakes and rumbles. Kashyyyk is caught in the throes of tectonic spasms - above their heads, the packed-dirt ceiling gives way one stream of soil at a time. Clumps of moss fall and the massive twisting roots around them writhe just so, like serpents stirred from a restive sleep.

Additional information:

Grand Moff Lozen Tolruck loses it and orders Kashyyyk to be subjected to a Base Delta Zero (an orbital bombardment campaign whose goal is to life-wipe a planet and reduce the surface to a "burning cinder"). Three Imperial-class star destroyers - Dominion, Neutralizer, Vitiator - begin hammering Kashyyyk. Their bombardment causes the entire planet to quake and go into "tectonic spasms" as described above.

The packed ceiling in question is of a Wookiee shelter. Don't let the fact that these are built out of a tree's root system fool you. These shelters are quite tough.

The tree in question is a Wroshyr tree. A mature one can have a trunk with a circumference of dozens of kilometres and can stretch into the upper reaches of Kashyyyk's atmosphere:

The Wookiees built many of their cities in and around the massive, skytower-like wroshyr trees - trees whose trunks are of an unimaginable circumference, big enough that to walk around the base of one could take you half a day. The trees turn and twist around one another, as if frozen in a mad dance - this, a competition for the boughs of each wroshyr to crest the upper atmosphere ahead of the one next to it.

To make the roots of a large mountain-sized tree writhe must require a decently powerful earthquake.

And seeing as how the planet was stated to be in "tectonic spasms", the quakes must have been of a decently high Magnitude.

The planet Kashyyyk has a diameter of 12,765 km. That's roughly the same as Earth. So quaking this planet should require roughly the same levels of energy.

Hellbeast1 said:
Hmm so a solid Low 6-B feat eh??
Pretty sure this is well above Magnitude 4, which is a noticeable shaking with no real damage. Magnitude 5 and above is when the shaking can get really violent, people are startled, and damage to poorly constructed buildings occurs.

"If I can't have this world, then nobody can. Not the New Republic. Not the Wookiees. Certainly not the Empire."

The ground shudders.

"What was that?" Jom asks.

Another boom.

"Orbital bombardment," Tolruck says with a sloppy grin. Those two words, drawn out drunkenly. "Annihilation from the stars. Or rather, from the Star Destroyers. I sent the code. Nothing is to survive."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Mercalli_intensity_scale

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/mag_vs_int.php

Jom is a seasoned special forces operative who doesn't scare easily. The guy had an eye gouged out and was sitting calmly in a cage after. The quaking must have been at least a VI on the Mercalli scale to have startled him (may be even higher).

Well, caves aren't all that poorly constructed, so could be 5.

DMUA said:
Well, caves aren't all that poorly constructed, so could be 5.
Would Magnitude 5 be violent enough for the planet to be said to be in "tectonic spasms" though?

Idk man, making the roots of a tree that's like, 5x bigger than any mountain we have on earth, writhe, seems like way more than magnitude 5.

CrimsonStarFallen said:
Idk man, making the roots of a tree that's like, 5x bigger than any mountain we have on earth, writhe, seems like way more than magnitude 5.
What's impressive about those trees is not just their size. The same novel says they can survive turbolaser fire from smaller warships. That'd be Megaton level durability even if you assume light turbolasers.

And the Wookiees build starships with Town level+ durability out of the bark of these trees.

These trees are bloody tough.

DMUA said:
That could be magnitude 6
Nice. I was thinking 5.5 at least. But 6 is very nice.

If a couple of more knowledgeable members and/or calc group members agree to this, I can make a blog attempting to estimate the output of each ISD.

Bump

I need to get this settled. Because this would affect many capital ship profiles.

Lorenzo.r.2nd said:
Lol u don't even compare to me hahaha, one time I forgot what number came after 18
This is worse than the time I forgot that radius is diameter divided by two.

Memes could be made about forgetting to divide explosions by 2

"I want this to get settled quickly because I have other shit to deal with in real life" bump.

Looking over the Mecali scale, I think Mag 6 is a good lowball, but I can also see Mag 7.

[...] above their heads, the packed-dirt ceiling gives way one stream of soil at a time. Clumps of moss fall and the massive twisting roots around them writhe just so, like serpents stirred from a restive sleep [...]

Both statements seem to imply at least "slight damage" to structures.

Back