• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What kind of power would this give?

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
These explanations about Truth, Essentiality, and Relevance:

"JOHN: what is it about our situation that you wanted to tell me? JOHN: is it bad?

ROSE: Good and bad are words that don't mean anything, beyond a certain threshold of mortal consideration.

ROSE: There's a different scale I've come to understand. Another dichotomy that's less... emotional, I guess?

ROSE: Consider, instead of the word "good," using the word "essential."

ROSE: And what exists at the opposite polarity from essential is...

ROSE: Something that is best not to contemplate."

"ROSE: Of course everything is fine here.

ROSE: We're outside of canon now.

JOHN: yeah, i know. what does that actually MEAN though?

JOHN: are you saying this isn't really happening?

ROSE: Of course it's happening.

ROSE: Just because certain events take place outside of canon, it doesn't mean those events are non-canon.

JOHN: oh.

ROSE: In other words, there is an important distinction between events which can be considered to occur inside canon, outside canon, and those which are not canon at all.

ROSE: The day we went through that door and claimed our reward, we passed a threshold between continua marked by differing degrees of relevance, truth, and essentiality.

ROSE: Those are the three pillars of canon."

"ROSE: Any event said to take place inside canon will have nonzero values of relevance and essentiality, while maintaining an absolute foundation in truth, by definition.

ROSE: Whereas events outside canon have diminished values of relevance and essentiality. Or, for the most part, can be considered neither relevant nor essential at all.

ROSE: But such events can't be said to be untrue either. Instead, it's better to regard their truth value as highly conditional."

"ROSE: So to be clear, everything that's taken place here on Earth C since we exited canon can be considered completely irrelevant, and for the most part, absolutely inessential. Yet none of it can be called untrue.

ROSE: At least, up until precisely today.

JOHN: ok.

JOHN: then what does non-canon mean?

ROSE: Events that are formally non-canon have no truth whatsoever, by definition.

ROSE: They may have relevance and essentiality values that are nonzero, or even quite high, but only as projections along an imaginary axis, resulting from highly subjective frames of reference.

ROSE: But due to those events having no truth, and thus carrying no real weight, the other properties are basically rendered meaningless."

"JOHN: it feels like it's been so long since i did, or even thought about... anything that mattered at all.

ROSE: Yes, the longer we live outside of canon, the more tenuous our relationship with canon becomes.

ROSE: Hence the urgency.

JOHN: then what's going to happen if we keep dragging our feet?

ROSE: I mentioned that events outside canon have a truth value that tends to be conditional, remember?

JOHN: um.

ROSE: Well, I did. But let me put it another way.

ROSE: As long as we live outside canon, everything that happens will technically be "real," but only conditionally.

ROSE: There are certain crucial events inside canon which must happen in order to continue to prop up the legitimacy of events here on Earth C.

ROSE: And you specifically, John, have a responsibility to make sure those events take place.

JOHN: and i take it that means going back and killing lord english?

ROSE: Yes.

ROSE: His defeat is the keystone to this entire continuity.

ROSE: Much like his life, in some sick way, governed the overall design of the bridge which that keystone was holding up.

ROSE: But without it, all of this falls apart. Every thing we've been through, in a way that's impossible for a single mind to fully comprehend, becomes retroactively discredited.

JOHN: so... reality will be destroyed, or something?

JOHN: hasn't that already sort of happened?

JOHN: i mean, when all the black space started cracking?

ROSE: No, this consequence isn't physical, or even a disruption of the timeline. It's more of a conceptual unraveling.

ROSE: If you miss the chance to authenticate canon events, something will take place that's a bit difficult to describe, but I've encountered a term for it.

ROSE: It's called "dissipation."

ROSE: Like, a notional fading. As if something, somewhere, is undergoing a process of "forgetting," and we are what is being forgotten.

ROSE: All ideas, people and their full potentialities, possible outcomes and their specific unfolding, all these things live inside conscious frameworks.

ROSE: The further removed we get from authentication of canon events, the less relevant they become, and they slowly fade from the conscious frameworks which kept them stable."

"JOHN: so if we're going to go back and kill him in time to "authenticate canon," i guess we have to get going soon.

JOHN: like today? ROSE: Yes.

JOHN: are you sure you're actually up for a fight though? no offense, but you're looking a little worse for the wear.

ROSE: I'm not going.

JOHN: oh.

ROSE: None of us are. Only you.

JOHN: what?? but you said...

ROSE: John, this is the victory state.

JOHN: what the hell does that even mean.

ROSE: When we went through the door, and passed beyond the threshold of canon, we effectively retired from bearing any responsibility for influencing canon events. We've all been sort of decommissioned as active players on the cosmic stage, with severely diminished relevance attributes.

ROSE: All of us except for you, of course, since you've retained your retcon abilities.

JOHN: ok, i get that. kind of.

JOHN: but... couldn't you all just come along anyway?

ROSE: We could. But it wouldn't serve any purpose.

ROSE: It wouldn't plug up the remaining dark spots in canon.

ROSE: You'll need a group of active players. Those still stuck inside the stream of canonic karma."

I am not certain if we have a specific power for this. Transcending canon is usually related to ascension beyond a certain story hierarchy, as Umineko does, but not necessarily Breaking the Fourth Wall by "talking with the reader" and similar.

Transcending canon isn't really the thing I was thinking about (it already refers to Retcon powers), but more what someone or something "not being relevant" would qualiy as.

I do not know. Sorry. Sera EX or DarkLK might be able to help. Possibly Ultima Reality, DontTalkDT, Kepekley23, and Assaltwaffle as well.

YuriAkuto said:
Transcending canon isn't really the thing I was thinking about (it already refers to Retcon powers), but more what someone or something "not being relevant" would qualiy as.
I mean, the only thing I can think of is potentially some form of Nonexistence?

The Wright Way said:
YuriAkuto said:
I mean, the only thing I can think of is potentially some form of Nonexistence?
Well, it's not like characters in the Candy timeline were nonexistent.

What they do just "doesn't matter" to the great picture.

This is some kind of Plot Manipulation. John still having his Retcon Powers allows him to induce changes in the canon of the plot, while other characters are completely irrelevant to this one, no matter if John brought them with him.

Sounds like some weird form of acausality and/or plot manipulation? Is it caused by someone like john and the retcon powers? Oris it the cosmology?

If the former, plot and causality manipulation (inducing acausality i guess), maybe concept too because of truth and essentiality.

If the latter, well, idk.

Btw, the conceptual unrevaling would be done by what exactly? By lord english breaking existence?

It's cosmology. If you don't validate every point in canon, the world will "forget", and everything which isn't canon will disappear. Lord is the keystone of this because everything revolves around him (and the plot hole is litteraly The Treasure here, aka Masterpiece + Lord's defeat).

It seems to mainly be Plot manip like Therefir said, but it also looks like it isn't just plot manip.

Back