• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

what is considered a fan fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it seriously includes that into the story and not in parodical propose, then yeah, he should be deleted too, because that would make him fanfic.

Ionliosite said:
If it seriously includes that into the story and not in parodical propose, then yeah, he should be deleted too, because that would make him fanfic.
parodical what do you thing in a show when larry the cocumber kill alot of people

Would say that "fanfiction" is everything that wasn't officialy nor professionally published.

The really is that is difficult to draw the line considering that people make profiles for anything that is not fan work that use copyrighted characters.

Antoniofer said:
The really is that is difficult to draw the line considering that people make profiles for anything that is not fan work that use copyrighted characters.
well is not new in the wiki verses that uses alot or even More that 8BIT coprygth content

Would also make a lot of video games "fanfic" despite just not fitting any other definition of the term. Barriers of entry to publishing have been getting lower and lower as time goes on.

Welp, in that case, what would you say what is the difference between the average webcomic (like Gunnerkrieg Court) and Grim Tales from Down Below aside of the last one using copyrighted characters?

Wokistan said:
Would also make a lot of video games "fanfic" despite just not fitting any other definition of the term. Barriers of entry to publishing have been getting lower and lower as time goes on.
im pretty sure that there is a huge diference betwen calling fanfic game versus calling fanfic from pretty much other materials

Antoniofer said:
Welp, in that case, what would you say what is the difference between the average webcomic (like Gunnerkrieg Court) and Grim Tales from Down Below aside of the last one using copyrighted characters?
I don't know any of those, so I can't comment on them.

Antoniofer said:
them only uses character from free use character like the death etc

Either way, there's most be a few requeriments that stop specific fan works from being created here, if being officially and professionally published is not a requeriment, what stop from adding internet story in tye site? Most have a certain time of being published? Not using copyrighted characters/settings? Perhaps having a notabke fanbase? What does it make verses like this 8BIT or whatever not allowed here?

Antoniofer said:
Either way, there's most be a few requeriments that stop specific fan works from being created here, if being officially and professionally published is not a requeriment, what stop from adding internet story in tye site? Most have a certain time of being published? Not using copyrighted characters/settings? Perhaps having a notabke fanbase? What does it make verses like this 8BIT or whatever not allowed here?
well at least 8BIT is pretty diferent from FF

Jesus ******* christ, why do we need to have this exact same discussion with the exact same conclusion every single month.

Antoniofer said:
Not using copyrighted characters/settings? Perhaps having a notabke fanbase?

Both of these in tandem.

Popularity is not a qualifying factor, it's a disqualifying factor. If you're the only person who knows about a work because you wrote it, it belongs on FC/OC wiki.

Does it uses the FF characters/settings?

It uses multiple FF characters/settings, it's pretty much an AU fanfic, which we do not allow.

We had a previous thread about this same topic which went for hundreds of posts due to Livinmeme dragging things on with repeating the same arguments, because different people kept responding. Everyone, please don't let this happen again.

agnaa for the love of christ did you even read the comic the series has some big diferences to be considered Fan fiction who literally every reference to FF is a parody and being a parody dont make it fan fic that was decitaded when character from drawn together are allowed because is a parody

So ok, one needs a fanbase and not using copyrighted characters in order to be allowed (although, I feel like in this way do not allow stuff like crossover games, such Queens Gate, so maybe there must be a better wording).

Antoniofer said:
So ok, one needs a fanbase and not using copyrighted characters in order to be allowed (although, I feel like in this way do not allow stuff like crossover games, such Queens Gate, so maybe there must be a better wording).
8BIT the coprygth things are used for a parody so i think is fine?

Antoniofer said:
We already generally don't allow crossover games, read Crossovers.

And also, our rules aren't that simplistic; something with the permission of the official rights holders wouldn't be considered "using copyrighted characters".

Livinmeme said:
Antoniofer said:
Order Of The Stick is a better example of other-media inspired work than 8BT. 8BT blatantly rips massive assets from the source material, down to the literal character sprites, with no attempt to hide it. OOTS is obviously a D&D setting, but has credibility as the author has written for WOTC before, and runs on a completely unique world and cast of characters.

OOTS is generally accepted to be potentially fine, 8BT is definitely not.

I think we have no issue with parodies... But how users are reacting to this thread sounds like your omitting some info, so, can't nor wouldn't comment about this 8-Bit Threater.

Agnaa said:
Antoniofer said:
We already generally don't allow crossover games, read Crossovers.
And also, our rules aren't that simplistic; something with the permission of the official rights holders wouldn't be considered "using copyrighted characters".
xkcd scp and drawn together use alot of coprygth materials but they are not A fan fic because they are a parody and scp is because is based in real life

Moritzva said:
Livinmeme said:
Antoniofer said:
Order Of The Stick is a better example of other-media inspired work than 8BT. 8BT blatantly rips massive assets from the source material, down to the literal character sprites, with no attempt to hide it. OOTS is obviously a D&D setting, but has credibility as the author has written for WOTC before, and runs on a completely unique world and cast of characters.
OOTS is generally accepted to be potentially fine, 8BT is definitely not.
1:is a parody so i fine

2:8BIT not only use more DnD That FF also has cosmology and character that are alot diferent from the FF and the sprites is a sprite comic who fall into free use and is extremelly superficial

@Agnaa, really? I though we allowed crossovers with their own continuity (cross scaling wouldn't be allowed, but those characters would scale to the feats performed within that verse).

I feel like given this is pretty blatantly just about 8bit by now, this should be closed. It already got rejected. Anton, if you have a different issue, it would be better to do post forum move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back