• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

what is considered a fan fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
YungManzi said:
I think a more apt question is what about verses that involve fanfic, but all fanfiction is relugated to background characters.
Mangas actually do this quite a bit, especially comedic ones.
the names and the premise

Zaratthustra said:
Popularity is not needed for a verse to be added. Any verse can be added as long as it follows the standars. I really don't know why some people have this perspective that a verse needs to be popular to have a page.
Popularity is one of the standards though. I remember Ant saying something like he would prefer if web novels have millions of reads.

Popularity is a bad way since anything can be obscure depending what one reads/watch or from where they are. People could barely know a verse but in Japan (if we talk about anime) it could have millions of readers/watchers.

Popularity is one of the standards though. I remember Ant saying something like he would prefer if web novels have millions of reads.

But how do you count such things with other things? How popular would a book need to be? An anime? A manga? A TV show? What's the standard here? What's popular enough?

That's why I don't agree with that sentiment, but quite a few higher ups do, so it really can't be helped tbh.

Zaratthustra said:
Popularity is a bad way since anything can be obscure depending what one reads/watch or from where they are. People could barely know a verse but in Japan (if we talk about anime) it could have millions of readers/watchers.
8BIT is in american so no

Case in point, I Love My Yandere Neko Girlfriend has 5 million views and like 17 thousand follows, but it definitely doesn't deserve to be on VSBW lel.
okay why is not allowed

Because it's garbage and as the only unfortunate soul who has read this piece of shit I refuse to make profiles for them.

Out of curiosity 2 questions:

1 what happens if someone on the wiki creates a profile of a character that was created by an acquaintance?

2 the same only that the character was created by himself and uploaded the story after a while?

Jaften said:
So are you admitting that you were lying about this and you were referring to 8-Bit Theater the whole time?
whas more i asked but they derailed but still discuted because is fun the contradictions

Oliver de jesus said:

1 what happens if someone on the wiki creates a profile of a character that was created by an acquaintance?

2 the same only that the character was created by himself and uploaded the story after a while?
Good question honestly

Oliver de jesus said:

Those characters would probably be on a better place in the FC/OC page, tbh

Those characters would probably be on a better place in the FC/OC page, tbh

And what if someone who creates it before meeting in person the creator of the series and being friends with it until the point in which they influence?.

Still FC/OC

Our standards (Which are never ending changing, see for example Composite Pages *cough*Shaggy being changed to cartoon when Link still has a composite page*cough*) contain a lot of things.

If it's not popular, then it probably won't be able to be here.

If it's a fangame, won't be here (see The Player he was a page here in VS, but then he was moved to FC/OC there because he's from a fangame)

Characters from Fanfics, AUs, or simply original characters from relatively unknown stories will be thrown there, as you can see by D&D Homebrew page it's technically not a fanfic, nor an AU, but it's still not enough to be considered part of this verse.

You need to be from a recognizable/popular show, have actual feats (I mean, you don't see every damned slice of life anime character running around here, do you?), and have at least some following and have a somewhat long time running story.

Yes, that may not be true all the time, there may be some exceptions, but those are pretty rare, or they simply weren't deleted, yet.

CursedGentleman said:
Still FC/OC
Our standards (Which are never ending changing, see for example Composite Pages *cough*Shaggy being changed to cartoon when Link still has a composite page*cough*) contain a lot of things.

If it's not popular, then it probably won't be able to be here.

If it's a fangame, won't be here (see The Player he was a page here in VS, but then he was moved to FC/OC there because he's from a fangame)

Characters from Fanfics, AUs, or simply original characters from relatively unknown stories will be thrown there, as you can see by D&D Homebrew page it's technically not a fanfic, nor an AU, but it's still not enough to be considered part of this verse.

You need to be from a recognizable/popular show, have actual feats (I mean, you don't see every damned slice of life anime character running around here, do you?), and have at least some following and have a somewhat long time running story.

Yes, that may not be true all the time, there may be some exceptions, but those are pretty rare, or they simply weren't deleted, yet.
some people say that the popularity don´t matter but you say yes i am confused

some people say that the popularity don´t matter but you say yes i am confused

First, don't quote giant text walls.

Second, Popularity matters... somewhat, is not the MAIN BIG deal, but it's still a deal, just look over the pages.

Most characters will be recognizable, either by me, by you, or to someone who simply see the picture.

Hell, lately, when I continuously click into the 'random page' section, the only characters I don't recognize are from Cultivation Manga (This means it's a Chinese manga, which I'm pretty sure they have their own name but I can't remember)

It's a issue, but not the main issue, the standards are really confusing at times because we don't necessarily have those on a link, which honestly, there should be something of a 'standard character'.

The same reason why we don't allow crossover characters.

It can easily bloat up a lot.

Now imagine if suddenly, everyone could simply come here and put their OC with who knows how many ******* powers with who knows how many tiers, because in their completely obscure web story/web novel, the character did so (Of course, that's a pretty common thing with Cultivation Manga characters, but whatever).

Our standards are weird, but we don't allow fanfic, or Fanfic AU's.

Now, I always thought RED vs Ruby was simply some web story made on SFM using the models of Halo because it already existed, ngl, kinda like RWBY, but hey, it is what it is.

And this is confusing.

that is a double standar a big and is not really a argument because a diferenc from your generic OC 8BIT has a diferent story character ability cosmology places

Livinmeme said:
that is a double standar a big and is not really a argument because a diferenc from your generic OC 8BIT has a diferent story character ability cosmology places
idk shit about 8bit theater to begin with.

And what's to say that the OC from the fanfic doesn't have a different cosmology and abilities???

Bruh, Naruto has some wild ass fanfics with entire cosmologies and abilities, not to mention that they every now and then totally make a new story using the old ones, does that means they can be here?

Nah

...Captain Hero is a really, really dumbass mofo 'The Boys' version of Superman.

He's a parody, not a fanfiction, that's not using someone's else copyright.

CursedGentleman said:
...Captain Hero is a really, really dumbass mofo 'The Boys' version of Superman.
He's a parody, not a fanfiction, that's not using someone's else copyright.
i was refering that the show use alot of character with copyrigth

in one episode hulk comes out, skeletor make an entire episode parodying fat albert many pets from cereal companies family guy the simpsons south park scorpion and alot more than i can remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back