• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wave Function, Shrödinger, Hilbert Space = not necessary High 1-B?

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
Basically: I saw a lots of arguments used to wank some verses with for base "this theory is linked to Wave Function/Hilbert Space, so the verse is at least Infinite Dimensionnal".

However Hilbert Space isn't necessary infinite-dimensionnal from what I saw.

What do you think of this?

Regardless of what theory, or concept, or whatever else it may be, no one gets a tier by namedropping stuff without any explanation/proper context. Not to mention that a Hilbert space is not even infinite dimensional by default, just mentioning Hilbert space, or anything else as well, won't net you a tier on its own.

Can anybody give me a small resume of hilbert space, i only heard about it being infinite dimensional stuff.

I don't know too much about this but I'll just propose some simple comments to get them out of the way and not waste time I guess.

Firstly this shouldn't be listed as beyond dimensional existence, that would be 1-A, nor do I think should it even concern "existence" powers in the first place since this is entirely based around mathematical definition whereas existence topics are usually just based around if the dimensions one can effect scale to their own form instead of just being a 3-D character with some higher dimensional power.

Secondly of course Hilbert space doesn't justify infinite dimensions, from what I know it's just a means of calculating vectors and etc of dimensions higher than 3 using Euclidean mathematics. A verse can use Hilbert space principles while only having a limited amount of dimensions.

Thirdly, I think name dropping shouldn't be so harshly dismissed considering wiki standards (I don't know if what Obunabali stated ties to an previous conversation about tiering but I'm fairly sure it wasn't considering Ultima said there weren't any written standards on harshness concerning tiering). I would partially agree if the principle is just stated with literally no other context or would be extended to an entirely separate concept, but I think the wiki generally lets entailments of certain actions in stories scientifically apply to a higher power than what was the initial intention by the writer. This is the nature of calcs, especially from tiers 5-3 which Ant literally said to me "generally yield higher results than what basic intuition would suggest" (I may be paraphrasing slightly since it was a quite a few months ago but that was the general gist of what he said), and this is considered accepted conduct for tiering. What I would probably accept is something like the "quantum cystals" in Red Dwarf, which invigorate and empower psi/ wave function to cause quantum entanglements to occur centred around the person or object using them to force usually helpful and impossible coincidences to occur between two different things, because that provides some context on the scientific principle and shows an acceptance of it.

This has nothing to do with "harshness", you just don't get a tier for namedropping scientific, or philosophical, terms without any context or explanations.

Yes, but a philosophical or scientific term can help fill in the blanks, such as my explanation. The wiki itself functions largely at the lower tiers based on calculations which use scientific formulae to fill in blanks.

As long as there's enough context or explanations, as I've said twice already, sure it can. But we don't assume, usually, baseless things on that scale especially. Also there's a very big difference between calculations and just saying "Plato". One of them is simple with usually having a given size or reliable scale to go off, and the other one could mean anything, especially since it's very common for authors to not know what they're talking about when it comes to this, which is why we require evidence that the verse functions in a certain way before we just give them a tier because they said a word that could mean 1-A if used in a specific way.

I mean do all authors know that tanking a bullet from a sniper rifle is comparable to tanking the energy needed to vaporise someone?

Do authors know that a certain feat makes the character immensurable in speed and immune to time manipulation and capable of time traveling by side stepping?

Whether they know it or not doesn't technically matter, as long as you can prove it that the verse functions like that with inverse statements/feats.

Back