• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Voting in Your Own Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time I believed that there was a rule against voting in a thread if you're the OP. However I'm unable to find that rule. Is there one?

I thought there was a written rule about not voting in your own thread, but that it was left up to OP's choice whether they want to argue in their own thread (considering Fire did this a lot, and asked other people to make threads for him so he could vote).

But maybe I'm just misremembering and it's just an unspoken rule, in which case it should be added.

@TriforcePower1 well what you just described is already in the rules as a condition for voting. Yeah it's written there.

I personally think that actually having it written down is better than just being an unspoken rule, makes more sense imo.

TriforcePower1 said:
I don't think we need to add rules for every single little thing. We don't need a rule to say that agreeing with others' reasoning is enough to count a vote or stuff like that.
I mean, what's the solution to people voting in their own threads then?

Some people look down on it but the thread's still valid?

We simply say that it's a rule of the wiki.

I mean, even if we added it, people who generally vote in their threads generally don't read the rules so GG

TriforcePower1 said:

I mean, even if we added it, people who generally vote in their threads generally don't read the rules so GG
Yeah but we can at least point to rules, and have the few people who read the rules not do it.

TriforcePower1 said:

Then they say there's no rule of it.

Schnee One said:
We say the following

1. It shows proof of bias

2. It's the equivalent of a president voting for themselves in an election
Yeah and that should be written in the rules

Schnee One said:
We say the following

There are exempes where the first doesn't aply. Say the brackets for exemple.

For the second, not only is it actually allowed, but here one rarely gains anything from a character einning.

Schnee One said:
We say the following

Funny, in my country, it is a tradition that first votes of every election have to be those of the candidates themselves.

It's not really a rule that exists yet and it shouldn't.

Yes, making a thread in voting for one side right away is bad manners, as it shows that the thread was set up with the idea that a certain character wins it. Being bad manners is not a reason for it to be forbidden, though.

In the first place it isn't rare that the thread creator ends up arguing for one characters side, in particular when less known characters are involved. In that case the creator is just often the only person to be able/willing to argue in favor of that side. And at that point they may as well vote.

We also don't have to fool ourself into thinking that all threads are set up without bias. Everything regarding to "strongest character of...." is set up to make a point and there is few reason to let the creator not vote there. (And the same goes for any other debate that originates somewhere else than the vs board)

Not to mention that if people go around and ask others to set up threads by proxy, the rule wouldn't really improve things either.

Personally I also rather vote in my own thread than to bump the thread an extra time.

I don't think it was explicitly made a rule that you cannot vote in your own thread, but I could have sworn I've seen somewhere that mentioned it is very heavily frowned upon.

Honestly, while I avoid it myself, I don't think it's that much of a problem in itself. It seems like the main problem is that 99% of the time, people who vote in their own threads are doing it purely because they want their favourite character in the matchup to win. That's not exactly reflective of the attitude this site has to Versus Debating.

Even so, coming to a genuinely well thought out conclusion based on the evidence should always be considered a valid vote, even if it was done by the OP.

I feel like once you need that one more vote it may as well be allowed for a creator to vote on the thread, just to avoid the whole "bumping for a month to get that one more vote" thing

bump

Did this ever reach a conclusion? Personally I'd say that for cases like brackets and 'strongest for every tier' type threads where you don't necessarily choose the characters, it should be allowed.

If I didn't care about the subject matter I wouldn't have bothered, but if I didn't care about the fact that I was late that would be all the more of a reason to

Kek

So not to bump a truly ancient thread or anything but this still seems like an issue? I have a thread currently going for which I am the OP in which I would LIKE to place a vote of my own once it progresses far enough, buuuut I'm unsure as to whether I should do so. As people note here, it isn't actually IN the rules, but is doing so still AGAINST the rules in some "unspoken" way?

Or can the argument be made that just like candidates in a political election get to cast a single vote of their own, the OP of a thread should be able to cast their own vote as long as they don't try to sway everyone else with bias????

Well, like was said in the thread, some people may get annoyed at you for doing it, but not everyone will, and you won't get punished for it.

Agnaa said:
Well, like was said in the thread, some people may get annoyed at you for doing it, but not everyone will, and you won't get punished for it.
If the thread ends up leaning in the direction of the character I think should win and that character has six votes, maybe then I will cast my vote, but not anytime before that, lol. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back