• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
This is my first revision of a hax page so bear with me.

Okay so looking at the Fear Manipulation page we see it's lacking way too much and frankly doesn't go into detail the many ways fear hax can be used. I seek to fix this and hopefully get a better structure for indexing our fear manipulators. I've also added notes and a new limitation as one of the types require it.

New Page

For Type 1: Type 1 may be controversial with verses like Bleach where souls are the main existence, from what I do know names in verse are the essence of one's existence as we saw Ichibe's manipulation of names fundamentally changes the target. If that isn't true, then As Nodt would be Type 1 for inflicting fear in souls if souls are the source of existence. Furthermore some characters description of their fear can be vague but superior to Type 2, like Othinus who explicitly induces fear different from Marian Slingeneyer's Dáinsleif stating Dáinsleif to be "understandable surface fear", and given the description "It slipped into the deepest portions of people", this would be rated as Type 1.

For Type 2: When indexing Type 2, if androids or inanimate objects like trees or rocks are inflicted with this type, it should be given a possible rating for Type 1 but that can be discussed.

Unfortunately, I do not really think Fear Manip -- which itself is a subset of Empathic Manip -- warrants this level of granularity. Usually we would just rely on the justification section itself to clarify what the nature of the fear manip is. I also don't really like this replacement image. Fear Manip is obviously a tough thing to illustrate visually, but this new image isn't much clearer and it's also just gross.

Unfortunately, I do not really think Fear Manip -- which itself is a subset of Empathic Manip -- warrants this level of granularity. Usually we would just rely on the justification section itself to clarify what the nature of the fear manip is. I also don't really like this replacement image. Fear Manip is obviously a tough thing to illustrate visually, but this new image isn't much clearer and it's also just gross.
Aside from the picture, I think this is useful as we are here to index powers/characters. We have categories for regen, healing, concepts, acausality, etc. Fear shouldn't be excluded from this, specially when something like Social Influencing has already gotten a set of categories prescribed to it. And something being usual, doesn't mean it should stay that way as we've seen happen on the wiki with various pages already.

We have categories for regen, healing, concepts, acausality, etc. Fear shouldn't be excluded from this
The vast majority of our abilities do not have enumerated types. Most don't even have types listed at all.

specially when something like Social Influencing has already gotten a set of categories prescribed to it.
Those are just possible uses.

I don't think Fear Manipulation should have all this clear - cut division in types, because it feels like an almost arbitrary complications, because I could very well squeeze my mind enough to produce further types, break the current ones down in more or just find instances where the power doesn't fit clearly in any of these types. I also feel like they can't be universally applied in such a way.

Type division should be applied only when the differences are both clearly defined and affect the ability in a major way.
As seen for immortality, they are all clearly diverse types, you can hardly argue one is the same as the other, something you can't do with the ones you're proposing. Also, the rysk of overlapping is just too high, either because the ability is shown to have one, more or a mix of these effects, making it difficult to clearly define within such standard or leading to a pointless overcomplication for both indexing, readability and visuals.

Also, I'm part of that old guard who thinks Fear Manipulation has no reason to exists separately from Empathic Manipulation

Agreed

Thank you for your evaluations. 🙏

SamanPatou seems to make sense to me here. 🙏

Back