• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Translator staff member role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they are much easier for a machine translator to handle in terms of proper structure and not requested anywhere near as frequently.

I will agree that machine translation is iffy, and ideally it is best to scrutinize with the assistance of dictionaries and people who speak the language.

Me, personally? The only thing I can really do to contribute is to propose a rectangle color. I'm thinking... How about pink?

Well, Translation Helper might be grammatically better than Translations Helper.
True

A while back I think that I managed to convince @AKM sama and @DontTalkDT that creating a "Translations Helper" staff position would likely be a good idea.

However, when I sent private messages to the following members I do not think that any of them responded that they were interested. I may misremember though.

@TheNinthHour @Maruishimaryishi @Jasonsith @Makai641001 @AnimesFreak2 @Executor_N0
I reapplied.

Permission to Speak Enclosed

I definitely think the idea of listing just Japanese Korean and Chinese as languages to be translated by potential people with this staff role is odd. There are many verses exclusive to other Non-English languages, and being a proficient translator in those languages is important too, even if it holds less (but not 0) practicality. Also, my Irish teacher would’ve smacked you over the head with a copy of Collin’s Dictionary if you told them that machine translation was reliable for it. Not every language outside of Japanese, Chinese and Korean is Germanic, and even Germanic languages have key differences to English that machine translation often screws up. If you’re a reliable, active translator of Spanish, French, Polish, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc. what makes you less deserving of the role than someone who meets those exact same qualifications for Japanese, Chinese or Korean?

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the limited languages being considered for a staff role. While I appreciate your perspective, I posit that this limitation is based on the consideration of the demand for translations in each respective language, rather than any explicit devaluation of other languages or translators.

Statistics show that there are more Japanese, Chinese, and Korean verses compared to other languages, such as German, French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, and Polish. As a native German speaker, I cannot recall encountering a German verse that has gained as much popularity as Japanese novels.

It is crucial to approach this issue from a demand perspective rather than a general perspective. It is not a matter of undervaluing other translators, but rather acknowledging the higher volume of requests for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean translations compared to other languages. Therefore, prioritizing these languages for a staff role is a practical decision based on current demand.

I cannot recall encountering a German verse that has gained as much popularity as Japanese novels.
I can recall Tabaluga and Maya the Bee: they are pretty well-known German verses world-wide.

While I realize why Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are in high demand here, I do believe that ignoring our international members' efforts to add characters from their homeland verses, which also requires translating the context of important feats for evaluation, isn't a very good idea. Let's make such efforts second priority when a member is considered for that position at least.

And maybe we should specify what languages each TH can help with on the Managing Staff page?

But then again, the problem is that it could clutter up the staff list if we usually have issues with translating Japanese, Chinese, and Korean text in question. Or if people can genuinely translate the text themselves without the use of a translation site.

Permission to speak here.

I have a problem with the idea of a Translation Staff team because it lacks clarity. With thousands of languages in the world, we can't expect a single member to be proficient in all of them. Therefore, unless we define which languages they can translate, I don't support this proposal.

If we decide to specify which team members can translate which languages, what would be the process? Would they have their own unique rectangle dedicated to the particular language they can translate?

I'm not particularly against it, but there needs to be something against their translations just being the work of the internet.

Some Image Helpers do long hour work to render a picture. CGMs take their sweet time to do research, fact check, and create calculations.

Someone who has access to Deepl shouldn't get a staff role because of that.

@Ogurtsow @KingTempest @Kachon123

It is evident that we can ascertain the languages that each team member of TH Team can proficiently translate. However, it must be noted that the ability to translate an entire German verse does not necessarily qualify one as a translator. It is indisputable that members possessing knowledge of a second language can translate some drafts independently.

KingTempest, it is discernible that a person who avails DeepL and employs it as their “tool” will be conspicuous and can be traced. It is imperative to have a competent and willing member for such a role, and obtaining certification to validate their proficiency is not objectionable.

Regarding the appointment of staff members for members who possess knowledge of a particular language X, I am opposed to it initially since it is crucial to identify the demands for translation requests of a particular language, such as Japanese or Korean, which are the most requested languages as indicated in the request thread.

As for Kachon123's query, it should be noted that staff members who translate a specific language will not have a distinct color, but rather their language proficiency will be indicated in the staff member list.

Although it was my intention to specify the skills or languages of each TH team member on the page, I regret not mentioning it earlier.

Statistics show that there are more Japanese, Chinese, and Korean verses compared to other languages
There’s more verses of particular note*. Anime is more popular, especially in terms of powerscaling, than say, Latin American soap operas, but both are plentiful in numbers and cultural staples of their respective regions.

The Two-Book series of fantasy novels never sold in any language but German may not be as popular as Dragon Ball, but it still probably deserves a place here, and would need a translator.

Also, there’s no impracticality to giving translators of less prominent languages the staff role, really. If you really wanted, you could make two roles, one titled Translation Helper (Japanese/Korean/Chinese) and another Translation Helper (Other), or split it even further than that

My manner of discourse is strictly statistical, and as such, it is a verifiable fact. I shall refrain from prolonging this conversation, particularly considering that for those who are uninitiated in this field, its relevance may not be deemed paramount.

Furthermore, it is my stance that we shall not establish two distinct roles, as I have already articulated.
Instead, we shall specify the languages for which the members are deemed competent.

My manner of discourse is strictly statistical, and as such, it is a verifiable fact. I shall refrain from prolonging this conversation, particularly considering that for those who are uninitiated in this field, its relevance may not be deemed paramount.

Furthermore, it is my stance that we shall not establish two distinct roles, as I have already articulated.
Instead, we shall specify the languages for which the members are deemed competent.
One translator title should normally suffice.

(To check the competencies of different translators, just look up at the staff page - there lists out different languages that each staff is comfortable for)

One translator title should normally suffice.

(To check the competencies of different translators, just look up at the staff page - there lists out different languages that each staff is comfortable for)
This is what I suggested, yap

Well, the issue here is that we cannot spam Translation Helper staff member titles. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are the verses in highest demand and are likely the most difficult to learn the symbols and structures of, so I think that it seems most practical to focus on them, at least to start with.

Also, thank you very much for applying for a position, @Jasonsith .

What about you, @TheNinthHour , @Maruishimaryishi , @Makai641001 , @AnimesFreak2 , @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan , @MrLuk2000 , and @Executor_N0 ?

Well, the issue here is that we cannot spam Translation Helper staff member titles. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are the verses in highest demand and are likely the most difficult to learn the symbols and structures of, so I think that it seems most practical to focus on them, at least to start with.
My stance aligns with the aforementioned viewpoint. Upon examination from this vantage point, I am unable to discern any semblance of inequity.

Last edited:

Also, thank you very much for applying for a position, @Jasonsith .

What about you, @TheNinthHour , @Maruishimaryishi , @Makai641001 , @AnimesFreak2 , @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan , @MrLuk2000 , and @Executor_N0 ?
I don’t have much Time atm but i’ll do my best, i’m in.

I don’t have much Time atm but i’ll do my best, i’m in.
Thank you. Then we have two candidates to start with. 🙂🙏🥳🎉🎊

It seems best to wait a while to see if any of the other members that I gave this offer also accept though.

Thank you for helping out. 🙏

Not all people tend to like pink as a colour though.

Permission to Speak Enclosed

I definitely think the idea of listing just Japanese Korean and Chinese as languages to be translated by potential people with this staff role is odd. There are many verses exclusive to other Non-English languages, and being a proficient translator in those languages is important too, even if it holds less (but not 0) practicality. Also, my Irish teacher would’ve smacked you over the head with a copy of Collin’s Dictionary if you told them that machine translation was reliable for it. Not every language outside of Japanese, Chinese and Korean is Germanic, and even Germanic languages have key differences to English that machine translation often screws up. If you’re a reliable, active translator of Spanish, French, Polish, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc. what makes you less deserving of the role than someone who meets those exact same qualifications for Japanese, Chinese or Korean?
Very true. Plus we have a Turkish cartoon as a verse (Kral Sakir) of all things.

Well, we cannot spam translator staff positions for languages that as good as never receive requests and are much easier to translate in the first place...

Well, we cannot spam translator staff positions for languages that as good as never receive requests and are much easier to translate in the first place...
I think you’re really overestimating the easiness of translating languages that still use the same characters as us. It’s still very difficult as each language can have different rules foreign to English (E.g. Spanish has more tenses) and many words bear little to no resemblance to their English counterpart (especially Celtic languages, where the Irish for “Photography” is Grianghrafadóireachta).

If you want to ensure that you must showcase the practicality of your translation skills rather than just the quality of them to gain this staff role, you could just change the requirements around a bit

Right now you can gain the role by being of extreme help in translating material for the Wiki, even if it’s you who wanted it translated. Just change it so that you have to have translated material for someone else, be that in a CRT or as a response to a request, to gain the role. Then you have proved your language skills are actively a help on the wiki

My comment might get deleted but if this role is accepted I will definitely applie since I am planning on continuing Turkish verses. Maybe I can also apply for German since I am learning it

Just because you are learning German doesn't necessarily mean that you have the ability to translate at an academic level.
I would like to respond to other arguments, but it appears that they have already been addressed, and the current discussion seems to be going in circles.

Last edited:
I think you’re really overestimating the easiness of translating languages that still use the same characters as us. It’s still very difficult as each language can have different rules foreign to English (E.g. Spanish has more tenses) and many words bear little to no resemblance to their English counterpart (especially Celtic languages, where the Irish for “Photography” is Grianghrafadóireachta).
No, @Antvasima is not overestimating anything. However, you still seem to be missing the point that it's not just about having knowledge of a specific language, but about the demands placed on staff positions. Both he and I are suggesting that we do not need to hire a large number of staff members to cover every language, as it would be impractical to do so. For instance, it would be illogical to hire over 250+ staff members to cover every language, when only a few languages like Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are still receiving translation requests in that thread.

In fact, it is rare to see translation requests for less common languages like Turkish on the thread, because the Turkish community is quite large, and it's much easier to find a fluent Turkish speaker to provide translations. As of now, I haven't come across a single Turkish translation request in the past 10 pages.
If you want to ensure that you must showcase the practicality of your translation skills rather than just the quality of them to gain this staff role, you could just change the requirements around a bit
Could you please take another look at these sections? Are they difficult to comprehend?
Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are the verses in highest demand and are likely the most difficult to learn the symbols and structures of, so I think that it seems most practical to focus on them, at least to start with.
Thank you for bringing up the issue of the limited languages being considered for a staff role. While I appreciate your perspective, I posit that this limitation is based on the consideration of the demand for translations in each respective language, rather than any explicit devaluation of other languages or translators.

Statistics show that there are more Japanese, Chinese, and Korean verses compared to other languages, such as German, French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, and Polish. As a native German speaker, I cannot recall encountering a German verse that has gained as much popularity as Japanese novels.

It is crucial to approach this issue from a demand perspective rather than a general perspective. It is not a matter of undervaluing other translators, but rather acknowledging the higher volume of requests for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean translations compared to other languages. Therefore, prioritizing these languages for a staff role is a practical decision based on current demand.
Regarding the appointment of staff members for members who possess knowledge of a particular language X, I am opposed to it initially since it is crucial to identify the demands for translation requests of a particular language, such as Japanese or Korean, which are the most requested languages as indicated in the request thread.
Right now you can gain the role by being of extreme help in translating material for the Wiki, even if it’s you who wanted it translated. Just change it so that you have to have translated material for someone else, be that in a CRT or as a response to a request, to gain the role. Then you have proved your language skills are actively a help on the wiki
The requirements are fairly straightforward, and I don't see a need for any changes at the moment (unless DT or AKM have any additional notes to add).

Just because you are learning German doesn't necessarily mean that you have the ability to translate at an academic level.
I would like to respond to other arguments, but it appears that they have already been addressed, and the current discussion seems to be going in circles.
When did it have to be academic? This is language we're talking about. It's better to be fluent than to be academic about it. Besides, they literally say the best way to learn a language is to speak with those who speak it natively/fluently, not sit in a classroom for a lecture. Saying that as a guy who spent four years in Spanish class and forgot most of what I learned.

Did you nitpick the point? Someone who is currently learning German does not mean he can translate german texts and be reliable with it.

And I am talking as a German native speaker myself.

The point is, we can't just pick translators that has all of the languages in the world, as that will clutter up our Staff list. The role is to usually focus on that of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back