• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou's UES + More Hax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got rejected with virtually no discussion or explanation as to why it was being rejected, we basically had to beg for an actual discussion.

I'm amazed we still got infinite speed out of that.
It should be fine with this one since it's hax related. The wiki is a lot stricter with physical stats hax is usually more straightforward. Plus the issue was that the mods aren't too knowledgeable on the verse so they were a bit weary iirc.

We can only hope.
Sorry if you put this at the thread during the beginning (I haven't slept for about 3 days) but there are two statements of sakuya possessing magical energy and she's able to harm spiritual things like phantoms so that's also add more credence to the idea.

The layer stuff is one thing

But scaling different characters' specific abilities and feats to everyone doesn't sit well with me. Just go with who shows those specific things. Multiple characters doing x with y doesn't mean every character who can use y can do x.

The layer stuff is one thing

But scaling different characters' specific abilities and feats to everyone doesn't sit well with me. Just go with who shows those specific things. Multiple characters doing x with y doesn't mean every character who can use y can do x.
The point is that these aren't specific to each character. Byakuren can use magic to amp her statistics, yes, but so can other characters. I think it's worth noting that the abilities listed in a character's ability section doesn't have to be unique to them; Marisa's specialty is lasers, but basically everyone in the series makes use of lasers. Mokou's specialty is fire manipulation and immortality, but multiple other characters use fire based attacks and are immortal. Yukari's specialty is conceptual manipulation, but every god in the series can do the same. Characters don't have a monopoly on the ability they're listed as having.

Tenshi's use of temperament isn't unique to her either; it was being used to elaborate on what temperament is and how it works. Temperament as a concept is inherently tied to all magic, Tenshi was just an example of what it's capable of in combat.

This is the full quote from CoLA. Nowhere is Tenshi mentioned.
unknown.png

So anyone who uses spells is utilizing temperament, and Tenshi demonstrates how that utilization takes shape.

Characters don't have a monopoly on the ability they're listed as having.
Yeah, but we're not gonna give every character Fire Manipulation and Immortality because more than one of them can. I wasn't talking about Temperament shit either. We can't use characters who specifically have mind manipulation as one of their signature abilities to prove that everyone can actually manipulate minds because they all happen to use magic, that's not how anything works. And that's not to say that they can't **** with the mental layer, just use like, proper reasoning.

...That's not what I was saying. It's just an example of how Byakuren's ability isn't unique to her.

The thing about temperament is that you literally cannot separate it from magic. It is a necessary component. Additionally, temperament is the soul. Therefore, anyone who uses magic is inherently controlling temperament; ie; the soul.

I think you're confused about what we're suggesting here; we're not giving everyone soul manip because the UES means everyone shares their powers. We're giving everyone soul manip because using the UES requires manipulating the soul to some extent.

Guardian_Doge has told me he'll make his own response later if needed, so I would like to wait for him as well.

I'm not talking about Temperament stuff! I said that already! I'm aware of all these things and agree!

Oh, that's good then.

Anyways, if we're using temperament, I'm unsure about mind/empathic manipulation for non-youkai magic users, but I'm looking for scans that suggests temperament is connected to the mind as well.

I'm not sure what we currently disagree on, if anything.

I refuse to acknowledge the basis of your argument.
Then you're quite literally just stonewalling.

As for the broken link, it’s mainly a small part here.
"Giving names and meanings to a duel" and "the meaning itself becomes the attack's power" is vague as hell, and could potentially mean anything.

As for the youkai physiology part, yeah you are aware they have non physical interaction right? They don’t 100% need to use magic all the time to affect a youkai.
I already covered all that with "even if we see a magic user in 2hu hurt a spirit or soul or disembodied consciousness or abstract entity, then that's little more than non-physical interaction, and not some specialized "nonphysical attack" of any sort, unless we have verifiable proof that the magic user in question has a specific ability that allows them to manipulate spirits/souls/minds/abstractions."

But since you haven't said anything that actually refutes my point regardless, then I accept your concession.

Oh and if you don’t think they embody a concept, then clearly you’ve never touched ULiL or AoCF. It was verbatim stated an Urban Legend is how the youkai are created.
Something being created from collective belief doesn't at all necessitate that it has an abstract existence.

I think you're confused about what we're suggesting here; we're not giving everyone soul manip because the UES means everyone shares their powers. We're giving everyone soul manip because using the UES requires manipulating the soul to some extent.
No it doesn't. Using "spiritual power" or a power with an "inner" spiritual component to do things is what every other shonen has, and we're not giving any of them soul manipulation just because of that.

The thing about temperament is that you literally cannot separate it from magic. It is a necessary component. Additionally, temperament is the soul. Therefore, anyone who uses magic is inherently controlling temperament; ie; the soul.
Controlling your own inner spirit to do magic tricks or quasi-magical energy blasts is something that practically every shonen does, and it doesn't, in any way, count as "soul manipulation". This is functionally and fundamentally identical to arguing that Ichigo can manipulate souls simply because he can control reiatsu, Naruto can control spiritual essences simply because he can control chakra, or that Son Goku can rip out someone's soul from their body simply because he can manipulate ki.

I'm not talking about Temperament stuff! I said that already! I'm aware of all these things and agree!
Why do you agree? The "temperament" argument frankly isn't based on anything cogent, for reasons I've already explained above.

Then you're quite literally just stonewalling.

"Giving names and meanings to a duel" and "the meaning itself becomes the attack's power" is vague as hell, and could potentially mean anything.

I already covered all that with "even if we see a magic user in 2hu hurt a spirit or soul or disembodied consciousness or abstract entity, then that's little more than non-physical interaction, and not some specialized "nonphysical attack" of any sort, unless we have verifiable proof that the magic user in question has a specific ability that allows them to manipulate spirits/souls/minds/abstractions."

But since you haven't said anything that actually refutes my point regardless, then I accept your concession.

Something being created from collective belief doesn't at all necessitate that it has an abstract existence.

No it doesn't. Using "spiritual power" or a power with an "inner" spiritual component to do things is what every other shonen has, and we're not giving any of them soul manipulation just because of that.

Controlling your own inner spirit to do magic tricks or quasi-magical energy blasts is something that practically every shonen does, and it doesn't, in any way, count as "soul manipulation". This is functionally and fundamentally identical to arguing that Ichigo can manipulate souls simply because he can control reiatsu, Naruto can control spiritual essences simply because he can control chakra, or that Son Goku can rip out someone's soul from their body simply because he can manipulate ki.

Why do you agree? The "temperament" argument frankly isn't based on anything cogent, for reasons I've already explained above.
unknown.png

I'm not ignoring your posts because I'm 'conceding' anything. I'm ignoring them because you outright ignore surface level facts about the series. Keine only has youkai physiology in her hakutaku form, Suika can control minds because that's literally the plot of IaMP, nearly everyone in the verse already has NPI. All of these are things you would know if you spent 2 goddamn seconds doing your own research. It is not my job to babysit you and explain very basic concepts when that time could be better spent debating people who've actually read the source material and know what they're talking about.

Anyways, I think this scan that Guardian_Doge posted earlier serves as decent evidence that temperament is tied to emotions just as it is tied to the soul, so I believe empathic manipulation can stay. I'm still unsure what Promestein's stance on scaling magic to physicals is, but I don't think there's much basis to argue against it.

Also, let's just drop the topic of youkai physiology for the now, this is not the time nor the place for it. Abstract existence will come later, let's not rush into it.

Malomtek's not exactly wrong if they're not actively controlling their own temperament rather than just it being an element in spellcasting

Keine only has youkai physiology in her hakutaku form
Sounds arbitrary and ridiculous. A "were"-youkai is still a youkai.

Suika can control minds because that's literally the plot of IaMP
Oh yeah I forgot about that. My bad. My underlying point still stands that mind manipulation is treated as a special ability and not a general power inherent to those who use magic in 2hu.

nearly everyone in the verse already has NPI
If so, then I don't really see a problem with that right now.

Anyways, I think this scan that Guardian_Doge posted earlier serves as decent evidence that temperament is tied to emotions just as it is tied to the soul, so I believe empathic manipulation can stay.
That just means that emotions and "temperaments" are something that Tenshi Hinanawi can convert into spiritual energy, which is something treated as an ability unique to Tenshi. It doesn't mean that emotion manipulation is something you inherently have just from using the "mental layer" to do things.

Malomtek's not exactly wrong if they're not actively controlling their own temperament rather than just it being an element in spellcasting
Even if they were "actively controlling their own temperament", it wouldn't mean anything. "Self-soul/self-spirit manipulation" is...what even is that? Does that even amount to anything other than maybe soul manipulation resistance? And if "controlling their own temperament" just comes down to controlling their own emotions, then that's nothing particularly different from what a regular human being can do.

Last edited:
妖怪退治では、肉体にダメージを与える武器ではなく、何か『謂われ』のある武器が望ましい。In extermination, one does not use weapons that cause physical damage. Weapons with an "origin" are more preferable.
妖怪は、名前や言い伝え等、精神的な攻撃に弱い。Youkai are weak to spiritual attacks such as names or traditions.
The main issue when dealing with a youkai physical attacks are rendered practically useless and you'd have to target them on a spiritual level and outright use soul-based attacks. They're actively choosing to use spiritual attacks instead of physical ones. All of the participants of spell card battles have these spiritual attacks by default because they were killing each other left and right bypassing their regen and going straight for the soul before the rules came into place.

Last edited:
Sounds arbitrary and ridiculous. A "were"-youkai is still a youkai.
Yes, and a werewolf is still a wolf, but only on the full moon. It's human the other 29 days out of the month.

If so, then I don't really see a problem with that right now.
...You're the one who made the claim that youkai can't be non-physical or made of spirit because people can physically interact with them. Don't backtrack now.
unknown.png

That just means that emotions and "temperaments" are something that Tenshi Hinanawi can convert into spiritual energy, which is something treated as an ability unique to Tenshi. It doesn't mean that emotion manipulation is something you inherently have just from using the "mental layer" to do things.
Why exactly are we assuming Tenshi's ability to control temperament is unique when we know that every single person who can use magic also uses temperament? Also, never is it shown or stated that this is unique to Tenshi. You would need evidence of that, and we all know that's never happening.

Even if they were "actively controlling their own temperament", it wouldn't mean anything. "Self-soul manipulation" is...what even is that? Does that even amount to anything other than maybe soul manipulation resistance?
Resistance to soul and empathic manipulation at the very least. Not that that's relevant, since Tenshi demonstrates that temperament manipulation is far from limited to just oneself. It can easily affect other people as well.

You do bring up a good point though. Since everyone can control their own temperament in the process of using magic, they should have resistance to soul, mind, and empathic manipulation since they can just control their own temperament and bring themselves back to normal. It wouldn't be particularly good resistance, since you'd have to notice and react to those hax in order to counter them via temperament control, but it's not nothing.

Also, I'm not even sure what Promestein's point was in that post so I would at least like for her to respond.

Anyways, another post, another tragic lack of scans. If it weren't for Promestein mentioning you I wouldn't have bothered responding, so consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:
For simplicity's sake, here's all the current proposals:

-Add a UES to the verse so we can scale physicals to magic
-Give everyone who can use magic Magic, Soul, Mind, and Empathic Manipulation
-Give everyone who can use magic Resistance to Soul, Mind, and Empathic Manipulation

Yes, and a werewolf is still a wolf, but only on the full moon. It's human the other 29 days out of the month.
It's still a monster at it's core, is what I'm getting at. And we still have the human merchants of the Road of Liminality physically interacting with youkai, so there's that.

...You're the one who made the claim that youkai can't be non-physical or made of spirit because people can physically interact with them. Don't backtrack now.
unknown.png
I thought you meant that nearly everyone "combat relevant" in the verse already has non-physical interaction, which I was willing to accept. If you just meant everyone in general, including the humans of the Human Village and the Road of Liminality, then that's just nonsense.

Don't try to play word games with me now.

Why exactly are we assuming Tenshi's ability to control temperament is unique when we know that every single person who can use magic also uses temperament? Also, never is it shown or stated that this is unique to Tenshi. You would need evidence of that, and we all know that's never happening.
Why exactly are you assuming that Tenshi being able to control other people's "temperaments" scales to all magic users just because those magic users can control their own "temperaments"? Self-spirit control is not the same as soul/spirit/emotion manipulation.

It's unique to Tenshi because Tenshi is the only person yet shown in the entire Touhou Project universe/multiverse/whatever to display this ability of controlling other people's temperaments.

Resistance to soul and empathic manipulation at the very least. Not that that's relevant, since Tenshi demonstrates that temperament manipulation is far from limited to just oneself. It can easily affect other people as well.
And as far as we know, only Tenshi has shown the ability to control the temperaments of other people. We can't equalize powersets just because the people with those powersets use the same UES.

We can't pretend the very specific powers of one character are general powers of every other character just because they use the same UES.

You do bring up a good point though. Since everyone can control their own temperament in the process of using magic, they should have resistance to soul, mind, and empathic manipulation since they can just control their own temperament and bring themselves back to normal. It wouldn't be particularly good resistance, since you'd have to notice and react to those hax in order to counter them via temperament control, but it's not nothing.
Meh, I'm fine with this.

Controlling your own soul is controlling your soul and thus some limited form of Soul Manipulation regardless of applications.

What I wanted was an actual demonstration that magic involved the control of one's own Temperament whether than simply using it as an element in spellcasting in some non-specific way.

Since everyone can control their own temperament in the process of using magic, they should have resistance to soul, mind, and empathic manipulation since they can just control their own temperament and bring themselves back to normal.
This is an assumption and nothing portrayed or suggested so no.

I'm going to remain neutral regarding this. My lack of knowledge on the series doesn't help either. The layers being connected to mind, soul, etc doesn't mean everyone should get the power unless they use those specific aspects of it which doesn't seem to be the case for everyone in the verse.

What I wanted was an actual demonstration that magic involved the control of one's own Temperament whether than simply using it as an element in spellcasting in some non-specific way.
You mean like directly manipulating one's own "spirit" or soul to perform magic?

And as far as we know, only Tenshi has shown the ability to control the temperaments of other people. We can't equalize powersets just because the people with those powersets use the same UES.
We're not. We're equalizing the one part of the magic system that is a constant factor regardless of who uses magic, in the same sense that Ki users in Dragon Ball all logically have Ki manipulation. Magic requires the manipulation of temperament, therefore any magic users can manipulate the things it embodies (magic and emotions). That's no longer the debate here; it's a matter of if that manipulation is solely internal or if it is external as well.

It's still a monster at it's core, is what I'm getting at. And we still have the human merchants of the Road of Liminality physically interacting with youkai, so there's that.
That's... not how lycanthropy works. Also, we never see regular humans and youkai physically interact. There are more ways to interact than physical touching, you know. In fact, we're doing one of them right now.

Why exactly are you assuming that Tenshi being able to control other people's "temperaments" scales to all magic users just because those magic users can control their own "temperaments"? Self-spirit control is not the same as soul/spirit/emotion manipulation.

It's unique to Tenshi because Tenshi is the only person yet shown in the entire Touhou Project universe/multiverse/whatever to display this ability of controlling other people's temperaments.
It's not unique to Tenshi, is the thing. Bear with me here.

First things first, temperament is equivalent to spirit. We know this because Tenshi's spell cards equalize the two and use the same kanji interchangeably (気質).
unknown.png

unknown.png

Then we also have ki (気), the kanji for which is the same as spirit. So we can equalize ki to the other magic colloquialisms as well. So now the equalization chain is magic = sorcery = spells = spirit = temperament = ki, because ZUN has decided that nothing in my life should be easy. So now we need to prove that characters can manipulate/absorb (insert UES name here) that exists outside their own body.
unknown.png

A small bit of supporting evidence here (NOT the main argument, before you hyperfocus on this point) is that magic users are sensitive to changes in temperament. So they can obviously at least sense temperament outside their own bodies.
unknown.png
...Actually, I just realized this could qualify for extrasensory perception for everyone. Adding that to the list and moving on.

In SWR, one of Suika's spell cards explicitly manipulates ki veins, so that's manipulating outside instances of the UES.
unknown.png

We also have Takane from UM, who's ability is to manipulate the forest's ki. So she's evidently affecting temperament outside her own body as well.
unknown.png

Also, note that phantoms quite literally ARE temperament. This is important for a few reasons. First is that they passively exert their emotions (ie; temperament) onto anyone nearby; this further proves that temperament manipulation is not limited to one's internal reserves.
unknown.png

unknown.png

Secondly is that since phantoms are temperament, any manipulation of phantoms is manipulation of temperament by extension. We know that phantoms are the spirits of plants and animals, therefore any character with soul manipulation can reasonably be said to have control over phantoms, and by extension, temperament that exists outside their internal reserves (Reimu, Komachi, Kasen, Youmu, Yuyuko, so on and so forth).
unknown.png

So no, Tenshi manipulating temperament/spirit/magic/whatever the **** you wanna call it that exists outside her own body is by no means unique to her. At bare minimum it applies to phantoms, Suika, everyone who already has soul manipulation, and Takane, with no real reason to exclude everyone else. I'm sure there are other examples I missed, but it seems fairly consistent that characters can affect instances of the UES outside their own internal supply.

I probably missed a lot, and anyone else knowledgeable on this is free to help, but I'm gonna take a break after this. Too much ground to cover in too little time. I didn't even get to touch on the SWR weather fuckery.

This is an assumption and nothing portrayed or suggested so no.
I was saying it in the sense that if you can control your own soul, you could reasonably fight back against, say, having your soul ripped out. Also, if they aren't controlling their own soul, but also not controlling other people's souls, then whose souls are they controlling? Because they have to be getting that temperament from somewhere.

I'm going to remain neutral regarding this. My lack of knowledge on the series doesn't help either. The layers being connected to mind, soul, etc doesn't mean everyone should get the power unless they use those specific aspects of it which doesn't seem to be the case for everyone in the verse.
We're not giving everyone every ability that magic is capable of. We're only granting them abilities related to the fundamental aspects that magic is inherently tied to: the mind and soul. You cannot perform magic without some degree of temperament manipulation, and temperament is the soul and mind (I've lost track of how many times I've repeated this point).

Anyways I'm extremely tired and stressed out right now so if you have objections to this at least do me the courtesy of providing scans. Apologies if this seems slightly incoherent, I desperately need sleep. But I'll probably end up not sleeping because I'm a dumbass. Feel free to ask me for elaboration on any of this, I just can't provide it right away because I'm tired.

For simplicity's sake, here's all the current proposals:

-Add a UES to the verse so we can scale physicals to magic
-Give everyone who can use magic Magic, Soul, Mind, and Empathic Manipulation
-Give everyone who can use magic Resistance to Soul, Mind, and Empathic Manipulation
-Give everyone who can use magic Extrasensory Perception
(updated)

We're not giving everyone every ability that magic is capable of. We're only granting them abilities related to the fundamental aspects that magic is inherently tied to: the mind and soul. You cannot perform magic without some degree of temperament manipulation, and temperament is the soul and mind (I've lost track of how many times I've repeated this point).
I know this and that's the issue I have with it. They aren't manipulating those things directly, just the thing they make up. This is the equivalent of me giving every ghost in Danny Phantom Mind Manipulation because they manipulate ectoplasmic energy which directly contains their consciousness and is default apart of their ectoplasmic energy and required.

I think I should clarify. Temperament isn't 'made up' of soul and emotions; it IS soul and emotions. They're the same thing; you can't be a 'part' of something you already are.

I apologize if that wasn't made clear beforehand.

Then you'd get something like Limited [insert power here] with the description that it's directly manipulating their own soul/mind.

We're not. We're equalizing the one part of the magic system that is a constant factor regardless of who uses magic, in the same sense that Ki users in Dragon Ball all logically have Ki manipulation. Magic requires the manipulation of temperament, therefore any magic users can manipulate the things it embodies (magic and emotions). That's no longer the debate here; it's a matter of if that manipulation is solely internal or if it is external as well.
Magic simply has "temperament" as a component, nothing more. Using magic doesn't mean you can manipulate emotions or souls or "temperaments" by default. Your argument is akin to saying that Dragon Ball characters can manipulate life itself and control another person's strength and mental state by default, solely due to the fact that ki in Dragon Ball is a life-force that "embodies" vigor, courage, and right-mindedness.

And you don't get to decide what is and isn't "in play" debate-wise.

That's... not how lycanthropy works. Also, we never see regular humans and youkai physically interact. There are more ways to interact than physical touching, you know. In fact, we're doing one of them right now.
You mean that all those youkai who have been said to eat humans in 2hu weren't physically interacting with them? The youkais that trade with regular human merchents in the Road of Liminality weren't physically interacting with them? The onis that used to constantly challenge humans weren't physically interacting with them?

It's not unique to Tenshi, is the thing. Bear with me here.

First things first, temperament is equivalent to spirit. We know this because Tenshi's spell cards equalize the two and use the same kanji interchangeably (気質).
unknown.png

unknown.png

Then we also have ki (気), the kanji for which is the same as spirit. So we can equalize ki to the other magic colloquialisms as well. So now the equalization chain is magic = sorcery = spells = spirit = temperament = ki, because ZUN has decided that nothing in my life should be easy. So now we need to prove that characters can manipulate/absorb (insert UES name here) that exists outside their own body.
unknown.png

A small bit of supporting evidence here (NOT the main argument, before you hyperfocus on this point) is that magic users are sensitive to changes in temperament. So they can obviously at least sense temperament outside their own bodies.
unknown.png
...Actually, I just realized this could qualify for extrasensory perception for everyone. Adding that to the list and moving on.

In SWR, one of Suika's spell cards explicitly manipulates ki veins, so that's manipulating outside instances of the UES.
unknown.png

We also have Takane from UM, who's ability is to manipulate the forest's ki. So she's evidently affecting temperament outside her own body as well.
unknown.png

Also, note that phantoms quite literally ARE temperament. This is important for a few reasons. First is that they passively exert their emotions (ie; temperament) onto anyone nearby; this further proves that temperament manipulation is not limited to one's internal reserves.
unknown.png

unknown.png

Secondly is that since phantoms are temperament, any manipulation of phantoms is manipulation of temperament by extension. We know that phantoms are the spirits of plants and animals, therefore any character with soul manipulation can reasonably be said to have control over phantoms, and by extension, temperament that exists outside their internal reserves (Reimu, Komachi, Kasen, Youmu, Yuyuko, so on and so forth).
unknown.png

So no, Tenshi manipulating temperament/spirit/magic/whatever the **** you wanna call it that exists outside her own body is by no means unique to her. At bare minimum it applies to phantoms, Suika, everyone who already has soul manipulation, and Takane, with no real reason to exclude everyone else. I'm sure there are other examples I missed, but it seems fairly consistent that characters can affect instances of the UES outside their own internal supply.

I probably missed a lot, and anyone else knowledgeable on this is free to help, but I'm gonna take a break after this. Too much ground to cover in too little time. I didn't even get to touch on the SWR weather fuckery.
And now you're just grasping at straws.

Just because some word in Japanese has the character "気" (ki) in it, a character that in itself can have many different meanings, and not just "spirit", it doesn't mean that it has anything to do with your UES idea or the "mental layer" or "temperaments" or whatever. And frankly, trying to link entirely different things, with entirely different meanings, together, just because they share a single Japanese character is extremely disingenuous, and displays a complete lack of understanding of how Sinospheric languages work in general.

Youmu wasn't manipulating the "heavenly ki" (the obvious implication and only reason of you posting that scan), she was just controlling the "sky-atmosphere" (literal translation of "天気", romanized as "tenki") or weather. Suiki's underground ki vein whatever, which is still treated as unique to Suika herself, basically just amounts to a fancier method of earth manipulation, and doesn't in any way amount to the kind of stuff you're trying to pin to the others.

Note the way that Komachi says "so the weather was the materialization of each person's temperament, eh?" If temperature was naturally related to the weather, Komachi wouldn't even bother saying this. The fact that she even said this implies that the temperament-weather was abnormal and unnatural, meaning that "天気" ("tenki") has nothing intrinsically to do with temperaments.

"Manipulation of forest qi" is just a fancier way to say "plant manipulation", and nothing more.

The fact that emotions/"temperaments"/whatever are portrayed as coming from phantoms, and not simply being phantoms, when it comes down to actually describing in some detail how phantoms work in their "potential harm" infobox, means that no, manipulating "temperaments" is not necessarily the same as manipulating phantoms, and vice versa. How can the spirit of an animal or plant just have one emotion/"temperament" at any given time anyway? It's absurd.

Even if we were to accept this nonsense you're trying to push, we can still only limit character powersets using that nonsense to the the specific abilities each character has displayed, because every character's abilities and applications of this supposed "temperament" BS are still clearly differentiated from each other.

And on the topic of ki/qi, since I feel the need to tear down every layer of this shit you keep trying to prop up, here's Hong Meiling, being listed as having the ability to manipulate qi, something treated as (relatively) unique to her, and something that therefore clearly doesn't necessarily scale to anyone else in 2hu unless they also show the ability to explicitly manipulate qi in some fashion. It goes without saying that Hong Meiling also never displayed any soul or mind hax or what have you. It also goes without saying that manipulation of qi is clearly differentiated from regular magic here as well.

Ki is not identical to "temperament", magic, the mental layer, or whatever new term you want to Gish gallop up to keep this nonsense afloat, no matter how much hyper-analysis of individual Japanese characters you want to do. Ki (as such) is clearly different from magic (as such), and that's just how it is in 2huland.

I think I should clarify. Temperament isn't 'made up' of soul and emotions; it IS soul and emotions. They're the same thing; you can't be a 'part' of something you already are.
"Temperament" is not identical to both spirit and emotions. Even the "temperaments" of the phantoms are treated as something that comes from them, and not identical to them. The way 2hu characters casually conflate "temperaments" and "phantoms" is nothing more than typical linguistic shorthand to speak of how they are associated, and it has only mild, surface level relations to how either temperaments or phantoms actually work.

"Temperament" is not necessarily the same as "spirit". "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as "soul". "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as a phantom. "Temperament" is not the same as magic, sorcery, and spells. "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as the weather. "Temperament" is not the same as ki/qi/chi. And "temperament" is not the same as the "mental layer".

What I'm asking is if there's any feat of anyone controlling their own soul that isn't one of their own powers or if that's an assumption that stems from the fact that Temperament is relevant to magic.

What I'm asking is if there's any feat of anyone controlling their own soul that isn't one of their own powers or if that's an assumption that stems from the fact that Temperament is relevant to magic.
I'm pretty sure it's the latter. "Temperament" in the context of magic casting seems to amount to little more than "inner mental-spiritual strength", and not something that has to "come from" anywhere else in particular.

The UES of the Archie Sonic comics could be as abstract, mystical, and conceptual as anything could possibly be, and it still wouldn't confer upon Shadow concept hax by default unless he actually shows something of that kind.

But you're still derailing her, and you need to stop that.
Defuq? Look at his profile lol. And I'm not derailing, I'm taking example that's what.

I can't read all of that sorry, I'm quite busy currently.

Then you'd get something like Limited [insert power here] with the description that it's directly manipulating their own soul/mind.
...I don't know how to respond to that when I've given multiple examples of people manipulating temperament that exists outside their own reserves.

There are no direct feats that I can think of, but controlling temperament is a requirement in magic. Either we say they're using their internal reserves, or they're using some external reserves (ie; someone else's temperament). We have to pick a side here.

Magic simply has "temperament" as a component, nothing more. Using magic doesn't mean you can manipulate emotions or souls or "temperaments" by default. Your argument is akin to saying that Dragon Ball characters can manipulate life itself and control another person's strength and mental state by default, solely due to the fact that ki in Dragon Ball is a life-force that "embodies" vigor, courage, and right-mindedness.

And you don't get to decide what is and isn't "in play" debate-wise.
I'm not saying they can manipulate external temperament by default, which is why I provided all those examples of characters manipulating external temperament.

Also, magic requiring temperament as a component does in fact mean magic users are controlling it to some extent. The only alternative would be to give everyone reality warping levels of probability manipulation on the basis that they're constantly using fortune to make up for a lack of temperament, but that would require a metric fuckton of assumptions.

And on the topic of ki/qi, since I feel the need to tear down every layer of this shit you keep trying to prop up, here's Hong Meiling, being listed as having the ability to manipulate qi, something treated as (relatively) unique to her, and something that therefore clearly doesn't necessarily scale to anyone else in 2hu unless they also show the ability to explicitly manipulate qi in some fashion. It goes without saying that Hong Meiling also never displayed any soul or mind hax or what have you. It also goes without saying that manipulation of qi is clearly differentiated from regular magic here as well.
Oh my god imagine missing the point this ******* badly. A character's listed ability is not unique to them, period. Marisa's listed ability across the entire series is "using magic" for ****'s sake. In the same sense, Meiling's qi manipulation doesn't mean she's the only person in the series who can manipulate qi. Hell, Takane's mere existence shoud've made that obvious. And the "character hasn't visibly shown the ability to do (x) therefore they can't do it" argument is and always has been ******* stupid. I'm not gonna waste time debating it.

Suiki's underground ki vein whatever, which is still treated as unique to Suika herself, basically just amounts to a fancier method of earth manipulation, and doesn't in any way amount to the kind of stuff you're trying to pin to the others.

"Manipulation of forest qi" is just a fancier way to say "plant manipulation", and nothing more.
Yes, that was my entire ******* point. They're controlling the temperament that exists outside their own body to shape the environment to their will. Also, how the **** can you reasonably say that Suika's ki manipulation is unique to her and then immediately contradict yourself by bringing up someone who also manipulates ki?

Youmu wasn't manipulating the "heavenly ki" (the obvious implication and only reason of you posting that scan), she was just controlling the "sky-atmosphere" (literal translation of "天気", romanized as "tenki") or weather.
No, that wasn't the ******* point, and I would appreciate it if you stopped misrepresenting my arguments. The point of that scan was to show that spirit and temperament use the same kanji, strengthening the connection between the two.

"Temperament" is not identical to both spirit and emotions. Even the "temperaments" of the phantoms are treated as something that comes from them, and not identical to them. The way 2hu characters casually conflate "temperaments" and "phantoms" is nothing more than typical linguistic shorthand to speak of how they are associated, and it has only mild, surface level relations to how either temperaments or phantoms actually work.

"Temperament" is not necessarily the same as "spirit". "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as "soul". "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as a phantom. "Temperament" is not the same as magic, sorcery, and spells. "Temperament" is not necessarily the same as the weather. "Temperament" is not the same as ki/qi/chi. And "temperament" is not the same as the "mental layer".
And your proof of this is...?

"Just because character's in universe equalize two things doesn't mean those things are equal" is a bold claim that requires a significant amount of evidence. Temperament is the same as a phantom because we have a direct ******* statement that says they are. If you want to prove that wrong, then the burden of proof is on you. Otherwise, it's a pretty ******* explicit statement comparing the two. Show scans or shut up.

Another Mal post, another agonizing screed of "muh flowery language". Why do I even ******* bother?

Ki is not identical to "temperament", magic, the mental layer, or whatever new term you want to Gish gallop up to keep this nonsense afloat, no matter how much hyper-analysis of individual Japanese characters you want to do. Ki (as such) is clearly different from magic (as such), and that's just how it is in 2huland.
"And that's just how it is"? I hate to break it to you but you are not the sole determinant of Touhou canon. Either post scans that support your arguments, as I have, or stop wasting my ******* time. I do have a life, you know.

The fact that emotions/"temperaments"/whatever are portrayed as coming from phantoms, and not simply being phantoms, when it comes down to actually describing in some detail how phantoms work in their "potential harm" infobox, means that no, manipulating "temperaments" is not necessarily the same as manipulating phantoms, and vice versa. How can the spirit of an animal or plant just have one emotion/"temperament" at any given time anyway? It's absurd.

Even if we were to accept this nonsense you're trying to push, we can still only limit character powersets using that nonsense to the the specific abilities each character has displayed, because every character's abilities and applications of this supposed "temperament" BS are still clearly differentiated from each other.
Dude oh my ******* god did you even read the scan where Komachi directly says they're the same thing? If you're going to refuse to even read my posts then why are you even here? Also nothing was ever said about having one emotion/temperament at a time, what the **** are you talking about?

Also, again, manipulation of the soul/mind is a universal constant in magic. I don't know how many times I have to point this out for you to get it. Characters who use magic manipulate the soul/mind because if you bothered to actually read the scans posted, you would know that temperament is a requirement in the process of casting spells. The main debate here is a matter of if that manipulation is internal or external, or a combination of both.

Note the way that Komachi says "so the weather was the materialization of each person's temperament, eh?" If temperature was naturally related to the weather, Komachi wouldn't even bother saying this. The fact that she even said this implies that the temperament-weather was abnormal and unnatural, meaning that "天気" ("tenki") has nothing intrinsically to do with temperaments.
...I never said 天気 had anything to do with temperament. You're just deliberately misrepresenting my arguments at this point. This is just kinda pathetic.

I'm not sure why I keep posting arguments against you here. You obviously don't care about what's actually being said; you just want your downgrade no matter what it takes. Until you actually provide scans, or a staff member brings up one of your points, I see no reason to continue debating you.

Last edited:
Soooooo, if I'm understanding well, you are wanting to scale each ability of each mage to everyone? Eh, idk, if that's the main thing then I disagree with it, as they are different "school of magic' and so not everyone should have the ability to use all of it, because, well, it's kinda illogical.
However I think that the soul manip and other general stuff for mages is ok, knowing that all of them are from the same layer and in one way or another are correlated (Youkai being affected by absorbing their magic energy, as they are spiritual beings, for example)

I'm not saying they can manipulate external temperament by default, which is why I provided all those examples of characters manipulating external temperament.

Also, magic requiring temperament as a component does in fact mean magic users are controlling it to some extent. The only alternative would be to give everyone reality warping levels of probability manipulation on the basis that they're constantly using fortune to make up for a lack of temperament, but that would require a metric fuckton of assumptions.
Controlling ki in Dragon Ball requires controlling "right-mindedness" to some extent. It doesn't mean that Dragon Ball characters have "limited mind manipulation", it just means that right-mindedness is a factor of the general "mental-spiritual strength" required to use ki blasts in Dragon Ball.

"Fortune" literally just means "sheer luck" anyway, so no dice there.

Oh my god imagine missing the point this ******* badly. A character's listed ability is not unique to them, period. Marisa's listed ability across the entire series is "using magic" for ****'s sake. In the same sense, Meiling's qi manipulation doesn't mean she's the only person in the series who can manipulate qi. Hell, Takane's mere existence shoud've made that obvious. And the "character hasn't visibly shown the ability to do (x) therefore they can't do it" argument is and always has been ******* stupid. I'm not gonna waste time debating it.
And my point was that qi (as such) was clearly differentiated from magic (as such) or "temperaments" (as such), therefore qi manipulation is not the same as magic or temperaments, qi manipulation (in any form) is clearly something relegated to a select few characters in 2hu, and we shouldn't assume any given "magician" in 2huland can control qi unless they display an ability explicitly stated to involve manipulating qi.

And "character hasn't visibly shown the ability to do (x) therefore they can't do it" is a valid argument, no matter how much you want to deny it, especially in the context of characters being given new abilities based on vague assumptions and the most tenuous, straw-grasping of "logic".

Yes, that was my entire ******* point. They're controlling the temperament that exists outside their own body to shape the environment to their will. Also, how the **** can you reasonably say that Suika's ki manipulation is unique to her and then immediately contradict yourself by bringing up someone who also manipulates ki?
Because "qi" is not the same as "temperament" as such.

No, that wasn't the ******* point, and I would appreciate it if you stopped misrepresenting my arguments. The point of that scan was to show that spirit and temperament use the same kanji, strengthening the connection between the two.
Any two Japanese words can share the same kanji, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have any particular connection or relation in meaning. Stop being disingenuous.

And your proof of this is...?

"Just because character's in universe equalize two things doesn't mean those things are equal" is a bold claim that requires a significant amount of evidence. Temperament is the same as a phantom because we have a direct ******* statement that says they are. If you want to prove that wrong, then the burden of proof is on you. Otherwise, it's a pretty ******* explicit statement comparing the two. Show scans or shut up.

Another Mal post, another agonizing screed of "muh flowery language". Why do I even ******* bother?
The more detailed description of the phantom/emotion/"temperament" relationship, in which emotions exude from phantoms, and phantoms are not simply being a specific emotion, and the common sense logic of the impossibility of the "spirit of a plant or animal" to embody just one emotion.

"And that's just how it is"? I hate to break it to you but you are not the sole determinant of Touhou canon. Either post scans that support your arguments, as I have, or stop wasting my ******* time. I do have a life, you know.
None of your scans "support" anything other than how much reaching you're capable of.

Dude oh my ******* god did you even read the scan where Komachi directly says they're the same thing? If you're going to refuse to even read my posts then why are you even here? Also nothing was ever said about having one emotion/temperament at a time, what the **** are you talking about?
Komachi's statement I already addressed; it's no more than linguistic shorthand. And the direct 1:1 equation of "temperaments" with "phantoms" necessarily implies that phantoms embody only one specific "temperament"/emotion at any given time.

Also, again, manipulation of the soul/mind is a universal constant in magic. I don't know how many times I have to point this out for you to get it. Characters who use magic manipulate the soul/mind because if you bothered to actually read the scans posted, you would know that temperament is a requirement in the process of casting spells. The main debate here is a matter of if that manipulation is internal or external, or a combination of both.
Wrong. Using spiritual strength as a component is a universal constant in magic. Characters who use magic don't need to "manipulate their own souls/minds", they just need to have high "temperament" ("mental-spiritual strength" in this context). Just because a character is cultivating ki in Dragon Ball, doesn't mean they're manipulating their own mind/spirit/soul or whatever.

And again, you don't decide what the "main debate" is.

...I never said 天気 had anything to do with temperament. You're just deliberately misrepresenting my arguments at this point. This is just kinda pathetic.

I'm not sure why I keep posting arguments against you here. You obviously don't care about what's actually being said; you just want your downgrade no matter what it takes. Until you actually provide scans, or a staff member brings up one of your points, I see no reason to continue debating you.
You brought it up in the concept of connecting the general kanji "気" (ki) to the concept of "temperaments", spirits, and magic as a whole, even making sure to highlight the kanji "気" in "天気" (tenki), implying that "天気" has something to do with "temperaments". I'm not "misrepresenting" anything, you're just backpedaling because even you know how absurd that line of argument is.

Soooooo, if I'm understanding well, you are wanting to scale each ability of each mage to everyone? Eh, idk, if that's the main thing then I disagree with it, as they are different "school of magic' and so not everyone should have the ability to use all of it, because, well, it's kinda illogical.
However I think that the soul manip and other general stuff for mages is ok, knowing that all of them are from the same layer and in one way or another are correlated (Youkai being affected by absorbing their magic energy, as they are spiritual beings, for example)
I never said anything about equalizing powers across the board, I'm not sure where people keep getting that from. The only thing remotely close to that is scaling physical stats to magical stats, since it's been shown that using magic to enhance physical capabilities is fairly common, and just about anyone can do it.

Controlling ki in Dragon Ball requires controlling "right-mindedness" to some extent. It doesn't mean that Dragon Ball characters have "limited mind manipulation", it just means that right-mindedness is a factor of the general "mental-spiritual strength" required to use ki blasts in Dragon Ball.

"Fortune" literally just means "sheer luck" anyway, so no dice there.

And my point was that qi (as such) was clearly differentiated from magic (as such) or "temperaments" (as such), therefore qi manipulation is not the same as magic or temperaments, qi manipulation (in any form) is clearly something relegated to a select few characters in 2hu, and we shouldn't assume any given "magician" in 2huland can control qi unless they display an ability explicitly stated to involve manipulating qi.

And "character hasn't visibly shown the ability to do (x) therefore they can't do it" is a valid argument, no matter how much you want to deny it, especially in the context of characters being given new abilities based on vague assumptions and the most tenuous, straw-grasping of "logic".

Because "qi" is not the same as "temperament" as such.

Any two Japanese words can share the same kanji, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have any particular connection or relation in meaning. Stop being disingenuous.

The more detailed description of the phantom/emotion/"temperament" relationship, in which emotions exude from phantoms, and phantoms are not simply being a specific emotion, and the common sense logic of the impossibility of the "spirit of a plant or animal" to embody just one emotion.

None of your scans "support" anything other than how much reaching you're capable of.

Komachi's statement I already addressed; it's no more than linguistic shorthand. And the direct 1:1 equation of "temperaments" with "phantoms" necessarily implies that phantoms embody only one specific "temperament"/emotion at any given time.

Wrong. Using spiritual strength as a component is a universal constant in magic. Characters who use magic don't need to "manipulate their own souls/minds", they just need to have high "temperament" ("mental-spiritual strength" in this context). Just because a character is cultivating ki in Dragon Ball, doesn't mean they're manipulating their own mind/spirit/soul or whatever.

And again, you don't decide what the "main debate" is.

You brought it up in the concept of connecting the general kanji "気" (ki) to the concept of "temperaments", spirits, and magic as a whole, even making sure to highlight the kanji "気" in "天気" (tenki), implying that "天気" has something to do with "temperaments". I'm not "misrepresenting" anything, you're just backpedaling because even you know how absurd that line of argument is.
Don't make me tap the sign.

I never said anything about equalizing powers across the board, I'm not sure where people keep getting that from. The only thing remotely close to that is scaling physical stats to magical stats, since it's been shown that using magic to enhance physical capabilities is fairly common, and just about anyone can do it.
Ah well. But idk, I don't think that making that scaling for the stats amp could be that logical.

Well, Byakuren, Ran, Chen, and the cast of ULiL at the bare minimum can scale their physical abilities to magic. It wouldn't be logical to assume that this is entirely unique to them, especially when they don't seem to share any sort of common ground aside from the ability to use magic. It seems more likely that this is just an inherent quality of magic in general, and not something exclusive to this specific list of characters.

Yeah, that's another thing. A character's 'main ability' isn't inherently unique to them. Sakuya can control time, but so can Youmu and Kaguya. Marisa can use magic, but so can everyone else. Yukari can **** with concepts, but so can every god in the series. I could go on, but the point is that Byakuren's ability being stat-amping magic doesn't mean stat-amping magic can't be used by anyone else.

Also if this is accepted I don't think it would really scale to everyone in verse, but instead to the characters that has some deep relation with magic (aka mages, gods, and one that another special Youkai), as I don't see really logic that characters who has some other methods of creating supernatural events (example, Reimu with her divine shrine maiden abilities) would have a real direct relation with magic.
Yeah, that's another thing. A character's 'main ability' isn't inherently unique to them. Sakuya can control time, but so can Youmu and Kaguya. Marisa can use magic, but so can everyone else. Yukari can **** with concepts, but so can every god in the series. I could go on, but the point is that Byakuren's ability being stat-amping magic doesn't mean stat-amping magic can't be used by anyone else.
Fair enough, but should be also remarked that their abilities are unique because they has a better or more direct usage of them. Yeah, Youmu can also manipulate space-time like Sakuya, but hers is not that "complex" or direct than Sakuya's one. Same goes with the other characters and such, well, except gods and Yukari, but that's because manipulating names is their real central ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back