• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou's UES + More Hax

Status
Not open for further replies.
You thought we were done with Touhou CRTs? You idiot, I'll be working on Touhou CRTs until I die!

Alright, before I actually begin, there's something I need to address. Namely, some important terms and concepts are often referred to in different ways at different points by different characters. Establishing exactly what equals what will be important for the sake of comprehension and scaling.

The UES in question is pretty inconsistent in name. Here is every scan I could find related to magic, spells, spirit, sorcery, and how they are used interchangeably. Contextually, these are all referring to some kind of power source (which is the UES I'm gonna be talking about here). There are obviously more scans about magic and the like, but this is solely concerned with how these terms are used interchangeably.
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

So Rinnsouke's statement directly equates magic and sorcery. ZUN then says that spell cards are 'magic spells', so we can reasonably say that spells/spell cards are magic and sorcery too. Closing this loop, we have Kanako in SoPM saying that magic is a spiritual force, tying it back to spirit.

Finally, to further strengthen the connection between spirit and magic, in Cheating Detective Satori, multiple youkai get possessed and are drained of their magical energy. Additionally, according to Eirin, youkai are primarily spiritual beings.
unknown.png

Why would being drained of magic so heavily affect beings made of spirit if magic and spirit are two unconnected power sources? The connection is further supported by Satori in CDS saying that magic is connected to a youkai's life force.
unknown.png

Backed up by Kanako's statement, this makes it obvious that magic and spirit are one and the same.

From all of this, we can conclude that magic = sorcery = spells= spirit.

Onto the UES.
unknown.png

The world is build on 3 layers, each of which determines certain aspects of reality. The exact hax that control over each layer grants were already accepted in the second god physiology upgrade done by @Hecatia_Gaming, so I’ll just relist them here (slightly edited based on a later revision).

Physical Layer = Physics & Gravity Manipulation.
Mental Layer = Magic, Soul, Mind & Empathic Manipulation.
Memory Layer = Causality, Fate & Probability Manipulation.

The mental layer is what's important here; as it includes magic and sorcery, which we've equated to spirit and spells/spell power. Magic moves alongside the spirit, or soul. So anyone who can use magic can control the soul as well, as the two are intertwined. Note that this is different from spirit as a power source, since it says the spirit, and not spirit as a general concept. We also see that the mentions of "one's mood turning sour" and "releasing all your stress and cares" means the mental layer determines the emotions of people as well.

So magic stems from control over the mental layer, which determines the emotions of others, and moves alongside the soul. This would give every single character listed below Magic, Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Empathic Manipulation.

Now we just need to figure out who this scales to.

We have WoG that spell cards are ‘magic spells’, so this can reasonably be applied to every character who can use spell cards (so the vast majority of the verse).
unknown.png

Given that most youkai are explicitly stated to control the world through the mental layer, and are literally made of spirit, this should scale to every youkai as well, even those we don’t see using spell cards (Koakuma, Kisume, Lord Tenma, En’enra, Tokiko, and Rei'sen). Yes, I'm aware the quote says 'most', but we have literally no way to quantify who's being excluded here.
unknown.png

At this point, it’d probably be easier to list the characters this won’t affect, so let's get that out of the way. These characters obviously have supernatural powers to some extent, but I cannot confidently say they’re using magic/sorcery/spirit like everyone else is. If someone has proof of them doing so, please tell me and I’ll update the list.

Daiyousei, Layla Prismriver, Youki Konpaku, Yorihime, Toyohime, Chang'e, Houyi, Lord Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu Oomikami, Mizue no Uranoshimako, Konohana-Sakuyahime, Iwanagahime, Shirou Sendai, Evil Dragon, Maribel, Renko, Akyuu, Kosuzu, Rinnosuke, Amitabha, Yatagarasu, Fairies, Phantoms, and The 8 Million Gods.

Finally, I wanna go over how exactly this fits within the proposed UES guidelines, just so there’s no confusion. Technically these aren’t set in stone, and I originally wanted to wait until the guidelines were done until doing this CRT, but the guidelines don’t seem to be changing too much from where they are now and I decided I’d rather not wait since a downgrade based primarily on Touhou’s lack of a UES could happen sooner rather than later since I know quite a few people have an issue with universal Touhou.

-Users need to have the capacity to use their powers to directly channel their power through their own bodies and physical objects in a way that quantifiably enhances them such as:
Empowering the user’s own physical characteristics like striking strength, speed and durability
There must be statements or showings that the character's abilities (And their feats) also scale or are equal to their physical statistics via the energy system.
There must also be statements or showings that an increase in power/energy levels or that an increase in the amount of energy used from the energy system also relates to a proportional increase in their physical statistics. (A good example is Ki from Dragon Ball, where a higher amount of ki/power levels results in proportionally higher levels of physical punching strength, speed, durability and aerial capabilities)

We have explicit confirmation that magic can be used to enhance physical capabilities; after all, this is basically Byakuren’s entire fighting style. Ran and Chen also make use of magic that enhances their physical abilities.
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

Additionally, in ULiL, a higher amount of spell power (ie; spirit power) is directly proportional to both the damage one deals with spell cards. Numerous spell cards are primarily physical in nature and are still powered up by a higher amount of spell power (such as Mokou’s Undying "'South Wind, Clear Sky' Soaring Kick", Marisa's Comet "Blazing Star", Kasen's Wrap Sign "Prosthetic Arm Proteus", etc).

Direct correlation needs to be established between the universal energy system and the character’s physical characteristics and to their outright power or potential capabilities (There must be evidence/statements/showings that an increase in one’s power/energy level, or an increase in the amount of energy/power used from the energy system, also results in a proportional increase in one’s physical statistics)

See above; more spell power = more physical power. Not much else to add here.

Onto the supplementary stuff.

-A removal of said power source/system should generally need to be represented as a dramatic loss in power for the user.
The loss of power being portrayed as traumatic or harmful would also support this claim.

Throughout Cheating Detective Satori, multiple youkai get possessed and lose access to their abilities and are placed into a coma. This is explicitly referred to as depowering, being drained of magical energy, so on and so forth. This should very clearly qualify as traumatic or harmful.
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

-It should help if the energy system is generally shown to be to explicitly be a common source of power within the verse. The most important aspect of this is that the energy source should generally be shown to be readily available and usable for all relevant abilities of the individual user of the energy source/system/type.

We already know that spell cards use magic; considering spell cards are the go-to means of resolving issues within Gensokyo, and the vast majority of characters in the series use them on a regular basis, magic is obviously a common source of power in the verse, even when considering the several other characters who can use magic despite never showing any spell cards.

-If the energy system is generally shown to have a core underpinning to the verse’s metaphysical or natural elements and/or must be tightly integrated into the verse’s lore, this would certainly be a helpful piece of evidence that would help to further lessen the burden to prove the validity of scaling abilities and physical characteristics to the same level via an energy system (For example: The Force in Star Wars “binding the universe together” and being tied to all life)

Once again, this should be fairly obvious. The mental layer is one of the three fundamental layers that makes up the world itself, youkai are literally made of spirit, and magic is tied to their very lives.

TL;DR:
-We have a UES now, so we can now use Raiko’s storm creation feat and Cirno’s freezing feats for the low tiers. The high tiers can now unquestionably scale the various universal feats (Doremy and Yukari's dream creation, Sagume’s occult ball creation, Kaguya’s corridor creation, etc) to physical statistics.
-Everyone in the verse (with a handful of exceptions listed above) should get Magic, Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Empathic Manipulation.

Now then, if there are no issues here, I believe there are some Cirno feats that need calcs...

For the record, based on how the games treat spirit power I'm pretty sure a good case could be made for Soul/Energy Absorption, but digging too much into that was overwhelming me so I'll probably save it for later.

AGREE: 11 (BlastX, Shmooply, Meganova_Stella, Overlord_Donnelly, Pixy, Kuro4416, OnsokunoSonic, Veloxt1r0kore, Mobi2, Hecatia_Gaming, LephyrTheRevanchist)

DISAGREE: 1 (Malomtek)

NEUTRAL: 1 (LordGriffin1000)

Last edited:
Actually, I just realized something. Yorihime technically fought people under spell card rules, but iirc she didn't use any actual spell cards. Adding her to the exclusion list.

A lot of agreement from regular users which is nice, so let's hope we don't get ****** over by staff like we almost did with the speed CRT (´・ω・`)

Last edited:
I don't agree.

Just because you're able to tap into the power of a Universal Energy System, channel energy through a UES, or use a UES as a conduit for something, doesn't mean that you are able to manipulate all its aspects at once. Therefore, we cannot just give Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Empathic Manipulation to 2hu magic users just because they use magic, especially when they've otherwise literally never shown such abilities in canon. To give an analogy, that's like giving a Sith apprentice the ability to use Force lightning just on the fact that they can use the Force, even though they otherwise aren't even mildly skilled enough to use it.

Don't confuse the possible uses of a UES with things they would already have by default. We've never seen someone like, say, Marisa manipulate someone else's mind, soul, or emotions before, so there's no reason to just assume she can do so based off of some "mental layer" of reality.

There's also something to be spoken of the fatuity of the notion that magic power automatically equates to physical power in Touhou, when Patchouli Knowledge is a rather prominent magic user in Gensokyo, and she's otherwise a weak, impotent, and sickly asthmatic physically. Her magic certainly doesn't enhance her base physical attributes in any way. Statistics-amplifying magic is treated as something rather specific in Touhou, that only specific users have. It's just something that any magic user just has. You have to acquire such magic.

The quotes that are interpreted to say that "magic moves with the soul" don't actually say that. They instead say that the "the second [mental] layer is one that moves with the spirit", the mental layer that includes such things magic and sorcery in it. This is small, but important, for it means that magic isn't actually anything "primary" to the mental layer or to spirits or souls in general. You can have magic without "moving the soul" (whatever that means), and you can have "moving the soul" without magic.

Even if they did say that "magic moves with the soul", what even is that supposed to mean anyway? It's little more than a flowery and poetic way to say that magic power and spirit/soul power are linked somehow. It doesn't mean that any random magician in Touhou can rip out someone's soul from their body.

Last edited:
Just because you're able to tap into the power of a Universal Energy System, channel energy through a UES, or use a UES as a conduit for something, doesn't mean that you are able to manipulate all its aspects at once. Therefore, we cannot just give Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Empathic Manipulation to 2hu magic users just because they use magic, especially when they've otherwise literally never shown such abilities in canon.
Why not? It's like saying Archie Shadow doesn't have Concept Hax at base because he never shown to Concept Hax someone. The Danmaku Nature is the key, even if they don't do that, we know that the nature of Danmaku is capable of doing that. Also, Danmaku is able to blast a Youkai which is a being made of soul so...
There's also something to be spoken of the fatuity of the notion that magic power automatically equates to physical power in Touhou, when Patchouli Knowledge is a rather prominent magic user in Gensokyo, and she's otherwise a weak, impotent, and sickly asthmatic physically.
But when she used her Magic, she can fight off a L2-C tho.

Why not? It's like saying Archie Shadow doesn't have Concept Hax at base because he never shown to Concept Hax someone.
That's a legitimate argument, and it doesn't hurt my point in any way.

The Danmaku Nature is the key, even if they don't do that, we know that the nature of Danmaku is capable of doing that.
We can't give characters abilities they've never actually shown before based on the vague potentialities of a "Danmaku Nature" (which frankly sounds like something entirely made-up anyway, especially given how bullet hells can be made out of practically anything in Touhou).

Also, Danmaku is able to blast a Youkai which is a being made of soul so...
Youkai which are clearly portrayed as physical beings, with physical bodies, and not incorporeal spirit-persons wherever they're shown, visually or otherwise. Maybe the "true essence" of a youkai is incorporeal, but as they are shown commonly interacting with each other and human beings, they're clearly flesh-and-blood beings.

But when she used her Magic, she can fight off a L2-C tho.
Yes, using her magic, not her physical strength or whatever.

Last edited:
That's a legitimate argument, and it doesn't hurt my point in any way.
Try sending me a scan where Shadow Concept Hax someone other than using the very nature of the UES system (Chaos Force)
Youkai which are clearly portrayed as physical beings, with physical bodies, and not incorporeal spirit-persons wherever they're shown, visually or otherwise. Maybe the "true essence" of a youkai is incorporeal, but as they are shown commonly interacting with each other and human beings, they're clearly flesh-and-blood beings.
The true essence of a Youkai is a "mind" that exist beyond the physical layer tho? Also, the people that is able to fought off Youkai is a incident solver, and not some random villager who can't even use Danmaku.
Yes, using her magic, not her physical strength or whatever.
The OP said that the point is that Magic can be used to enhanced someone Physical Strength.

Try sending me a scan where Shadow Concept Hax someone other than using the very nature of the UES system (Chaos Force)
Literally irrelevant. If Shadow never concept-haxed someone while in base form, he can't concept-hax someone in base. Simple as that.

But you're derailing here, and it's time to get back on track.

The true essence of a Youkai is a "mind" that exist beyond the physical layer tho? Also, the people that is able to fought off Youkai is a incident solver, and not some random villager who can't even use Danmaku.
Again, literally irrelevant. Youkais, as they interact with physical reality, are clearly flesh-and-blood beings. A random villager can touch a youkai, even if he might never be able to destroy one for good.

The OP said that the point is that Magic can be used to enhanced someone Physical Strength.
And I responded with the fact that Patchy is still a weak asthmatic despite her proficiency with magic, and that stat-amping magic in general is clearly seen as a specialized power in 2huland that only a relative few possess, otherwise Byakuren Hijiri wouldn't be seen as rather unique for her usage and proficiency in it.

"Can" is not the same as "always" or "by default".

Literally irrelevant. If Shadow never concept-haxed someone while in base form, he can't concept-hax someone in base. Simple as that.
He can tho? He have concept hax via the verse UES system, which is conceptual in nature. Look at his page lol.
Again, literally irrelevant. Youkais, as they interact with physical reality, are clearly flesh-and-blood beings. A random villager can touch a youkai, even if he might never be able to destroy one for good.
Show me proof of that, show me a villager can interact with a Youkai.
And I responded with the fact that Patchy is still a weak asthmatic despite her proficiency with magic, and that stat-amping magic in general is clearly seen as a specialized power in 2huland that only a relative few possess, otherwise Byakuren Hijiri wouldn't be seen as rather unique for her usage and proficiency in it.
Yes, and?

Okay, I just woke up, and all I'm seeing on Mal's end is 'flowery language' and 'if character can do (x) then why don't we see it'. These are not, and never will be, valid arguments.

I'm not gonna address the "we don't see character use soul manip in canon therefore they don't have it" argument because it's ******* stupid. 99% of the abilities in Touhou are things we don't get to see, they're just things we know people are capable of (Reimu's soulhax and probability manip, Sakuya's EE, Byakuren and Miko's memory manip, etc).

Just because Byakuren is noted for her ability to enhance her physical statistics via magic doesn't mean it's exclusive to her; if you'd paid attention, you would know that Ran, Chen, and the cast of ULiL are capable of the same.

Patchouli is not constantly at some sort of physical peak because the UES is an active system, not passive. It needs to be actively tapped into to enhance one's capabilities and isn't amping you 24/7.

And no, youkai are not physical beings. You very clearly ignored the statement about them being made of spirit, and there is further evidence of this in Dr. Latency's Freak Report. I was hoping to bring this up in a future CRT, but oh well.
unknown.png

You also haven't addressed the fact that youkai can control the world through the mental layer, something that would at the very least grant all of them these hax, a la physics and gravity manipulation.

Bring some ******* scans to prove your point for once and stop going "muh flowery language", because I can guarantee everyone here is sick of that shit.

At this rate, why don't you just put yourself down as an opponent of the verse? You've made it your life goal to stonewall any major Touhou CRT, it seems.

I don't agree.

Just because you're able to tap into the power of a Universal Energy System, channel energy through a UES, or use a UES as a conduit for something, doesn't mean that you are able to manipulate all its aspects at once. Therefore, we cannot just give Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Empathic Manipulation to 2hu magic users just because they use magic, especially when they've otherwise literally never shown such abilities in canon.
Except that would not be the case here, chapter 18 of CoLA (the soda) explicitly states that magic has six components:
  • The caster's level of Ability (技量 giryou)
  • The Temperament (気質 katagi) of the soul
  • The Substance (物質 busshitsu) of the materials and tools
  • The Space (空間 kuukan) in which it takes place
  • The Time (時間 jikan) at which it is performed
  • Fortune (運 un), the most important element, which can compensate for deficiencies in the other five
Let's focus on Temperament , this concept was introduced by tenshi, with the sword of hisou and has the very ability to destroy the soul and gather the temperament of youkai and humans, which verbatim can turn into spiritual energy.
Temperament is basically phantoms and the spirit of a person (SWR Komachi's scenario), so this is supportive evidence of how magic affects the soul and can even manipulate it, as they have to interact and change their own temperament which is their spirit.
ふふふ
また面白い暇つぶしを見つけてしまった
天気はそいつの気質の現れだったんだね
気質、即ち幽霊
つまり、そいつの周りの天気を見れば
死後の姿が判るって事だい
Heh heh heh,
I've found another amusing way to pass the time.
So the weather was the materialization of each person's temperament, eh?
Temperament, or in other words, phantoms.
So, if I watch the weather surrounding someone,
I can understand what form their afterlife will take?
今、神社に天人が来て直してたりするんですけど
色々聞きました
斬る事でを巻き上げ、
身の回りの天気を変えるのだとか
今はもう止めたので天気も次第に
戻っていくらしいです
There's a celestial doing repair work down at the shrine at the moment,
and I heard about it from her.
By cutting the phantoms that people produce, she can fling their spirit (気)
into the heavens (天), thereby changing the weather (天気) around them...
And so forth. She's stopped doing it now, so the weather
ought to gradually return to normal at this rate.
You can even make condensed bullets of spiritual energy
「全人類の緋想天」"Sky of Scarlet Perception of All Humankind"
• 使用者 比那名居天子• User: Tenshi Hinanawi
• 備考 似たタイプの技を持っている• Notes: I've got some similar moves myself
• 参考度 ★★★• Reference Level: ★★★
叩き付けるような気の極太レーザー。A massive spirit laser that practically slams into ya.
私のマスタースパークと同じようなスペルカードに見えるが、これはレーザーに見えるが実はレーザーではなく、超高速、超高密度の気弾の集まりである。It looks like the same kinda spell as my Master Spark, but this one actually ain't a laser. It's a super-fast an' super-dense mass of concentrated spirit bullets.
つまり、当たると超痛い。That is to say, it hurts like hell.

I think this is enough to prove that magic's relation can affect the spirit, now let's look at the mind or empathic manipulation.
First let's explain the basis of magic, in marisa's grimoire forward she explains how spellcards relate to the natural phenomena that occurs which is the cause of everything, etc etc, technically speaking magicians (magic users) can achieve any type of spell or magic so long as they understand the nature of it and use it at the correct time, substance and space. This was evidently proved how in Forbidden Scrollery, magicans can use ice magic but they're never stated to specifically have it, so that's why Marisa states she can use that dragon scale to use said ice magic even in summer (because the time at which a spell is cast can affect it's strength.) Another example of this is how | Alice in hisoutensoku was using a size |enlargement spell| on her new goliath doll. |​
Secondly let's now discuss how the mind can be manipulated with magic, then the empathic manipulation.​
  1. 表象「弾幕パラノイア」Representation "Danmaku Paranoia"
    • 使用者 古明地こいし• User: Koishi Komeiji
    • 備考 複合型ストレスタイプ• Notes: Compound stress type
    • 心の闇 ★★★• Darkness of the Mind[1]: ★★★
    心の奥底で記憶ですらないイメージを呼び覚まし、有りもしない高密度の弾幕に悩まされるスペルカード。A Spell Card that reaches deep into your mind, calls forth vague images that ain't even proper memories, and stresses you out with high-density danmaku that isn't actually there.
    何となくいつも弾幕に囲われている気がする奴にはうってつけのスペルカードだろう。I bet it's the perfect spell to use against folks who feel like they're always surrounded by danmaku.
One of Koishi's spellcards is stated to manipulate your mind​
Another one is Reisen's spellcard, but besides the point for now.​
In perfect momento in strict sense the spellcard rules state the meaning of the attack, becomes it's power, so a spell that's like "dream sign: ncaivninvcspi" would be a form of dream manipulation, because that's how magic in Touhou works.​
2. The Empathic manipulation is more direct, kokoro is directly capable of manipulating emotions to create an attack, joy being my example here
So yes, with my explanation of how magic works in the first place, it should not be out of question for someone like Marisa to be able to use these, especially under a UES.​
Yeah an avatar is completely different from their spiritual nature, this doesn't look physical to me Nitori confirms this previous scan here, and well we just saw marisa affect the spiritual form, as for blood and flesh, that's covered here. Some are physical, some embody a concept, but nonetheless still have a spiritual form which is interacted with by magic. Simple.

I'm too tired to continue, so I'll likely cover more tomorrow.

Quit being so good at VS debating, you're making me look bad >:V

This is extremely in depth, and makes the connection between magic, the soul, and the mind much more obvious. I cannot thank you enough for your help here. Also, please sleep well.

He can tho? He have concept hax via the verse UES system, which is conceptual in nature. Look at his page lol.
The UES of the Archie Sonic comics could be as abstract, mystical, and conceptual as anything could possibly be, and it still wouldn't confer upon Shadow concept hax by default unless he actually shows something of that kind.

But you're still derailing her, and you need to stop that.

Show me proof of that, show me a villager can interact with a Youkai.
What? Keine Kamishirasawa is a youkai, and she interacts normally with the people of the Human Village all the time. Youkai regularly interact with human merchents all the time in the Road of Liminality. This is a complete farce of an argument.

Yes, and?
It means that high magic power doesn't amplify physical stats by default, so no scaling should be done except on a case-by-case basis.

Okay, I just woke up, and all I'm seeing on Mal's end is 'flowery language' and 'if character can do (x) then why don't we see it'. These are not, and never will be, valid arguments.
These are indeed valid arguments. You (and way too many other people here) might not want to admit it, but not all statements are to be interpreted literally in fiction, and it certainly is a legitimate point to argue that the absence of evidence of a supposed feat or ability is evidence of its absence.

I'm not gonna address the "we don't see character use soul manip in canon therefore they don't have it" argument because it's ******* stupid. 99% of the abilities in Touhou are things we don't get to see, they're just things we know people are capable of (Reimu's soulhax and probability manip, Sakuya's EE, Byakuren and Miko's memory manip, etc).
Yes, because we're just sort of told that those people can do such things, sometimes not very explicitly I might add. We didn't just assume that they have such things because "muh UES". And to reference the Dragon Ball analogy given in the OP, it's like saying that SSJ God Goku should have been given "existence erasure" by default, simply because it's something you can do with god ki.

Just because Byakuren is noted for her ability to enhance her physical statistics via magic doesn't mean it's exclusive to her; if you'd paid attention, you would know that Ran, Chen, and the cast of ULiL are capable of the same.
And it's still treated as a specialized ability regardless, so it's literally irrelevant. There is no reason to treat Byakuren's specialization in magic that increases her physical abilities as something particular, as it is commonly treated in Touhou, if it was something any general magic user could do on the fly.

Patchouli is not constantly at some sort of physical peak because the UES is an active system, not passive. It needs to be actively tapped into to enhance one's capabilities and isn't amping you 24/7.
Then that just flows well into my original and first point, which is that just because you're able to tap into the power of a Universal Energy System, channel energy through a UES, or use a UES as a conduit for something, doesn't mean that you are able to manipulate all its aspects at once. Especially when it's not even a "passive" UES like any chi-analogue in any shonen ever.

And no, youkai are not physical beings. You very clearly ignored the statement about them being made of spirit, and there is further evidence of this in Dr. Latency's Freak Report. I was hoping to bring this up in a future CRT, but oh well.
unknown.png
That's clearly something you're misinterpreting heavily. Because we know that Reimu and Marisa and normal humans live in Gensokyo, and they have clearly defined physical forms. We see the youkai of Gensokyo, and they have clearly defined physical forms, and humans and youkai are clearly able to physically interact with each other. Being "made of spirit" clearly doesn't mean what you're trying to say it means, because it certainly doesn't make youkai incorporeal by default.

You also haven't addressed the fact that youkai can control the world through the mental layer, something that would at the very least grant all of them these hax, a la physics and gravity manipulation.
"Control the world through the physical and mental layers" is a very vague sentence that could really mean practically anything. It could just mean that youkai love to beat people up (physical layer) and put lots of fear into them (mental layer). Especially given that most youkai shown in 2hu have rather specialized abilities that they generally use, which appear to be rather unique to each one of them, which are clearly not abilities granted to them by default through some "physical" or "mental" layer of reality. We don't see Suika Ibuki mind-controlling people, now do we?

Except that would not be the case here, chapter 18 of CoLA (the soda) explicitly states that magic has six components:
  • The caster's level of Ability (技量 giryou)
  • The Temperament (気質 katagi) of the soul
  • The Substance (物質 busshitsu) of the materials and tools
  • The Space (空間 kuukan) in which it takes place
  • The Time (時間 jikan) at which it is performed
  • Fortune (運 un), the most important element, which can compensate for deficiencies in the other five
Let's focus on Temperament , this concept was introduced by tenshi, with the sword of hisou and has the very ability to destroy the soul and gather the temperament of youkai and humans, which verbatim can turn into spiritual energy.
Temperament is basically phantoms and the spirit of a person (SWR Komachi's scenario), so this is supportive evidence of how magic affects the soul and can even manipulate it, as they have to interact and change their own temperament which is their spirit.
ふふふ
また面白い暇つぶしを見つけてしまった
天気はそいつの気質の現れだったんだね
気質、即ち幽霊
つまり、そいつの周りの天気を見れば
死後の姿が判るって事だい
Heh heh heh,
I've found another amusing way to pass the time.
So the weather was the materialization of each person's temperament, eh?
Temperament, or in other words, phantoms.
So, if I watch the weather surrounding someone,
I can understand what form their afterlife will take?
今、神社に天人が来て直してたりするんですけど
色々聞きました
斬る事でを巻き上げ、
身の回りの天気を変えるのだとか
今はもう止めたので天気も次第に
戻っていくらしいです
There's a celestial doing repair work down at the shrine at the moment,
and I heard about it from her.
By cutting the phantoms that people produce, she can fling their spirit (気)
into the heavens (天), thereby changing the weather (天気) around them...
And so forth. She's stopped doing it now, so the weather
ought to gradually return to normal at this rate.
You can even make condensed bullets of spiritual energy
「全人類の緋想天」"Sky of Scarlet Perception of All Humankind"
• 使用者 比那名居天子• User: Tenshi Hinanawi
• 備考 似たタイプの技を持っている• Notes: I've got some similar moves myself
• 参考度 ★★★• Reference Level: ★★★
叩き付けるような気の極太レーザー。A massive spirit laser that practically slams into ya.
私のマスタースパークと同じようなスペルカードに見えるが、これはレーザーに見えるが実はレーザーではなく、超高速、超高密度の気弾の集まりである。It looks like the same kinda spell as my Master Spark, but this one actually ain't a laser. It's a super-fast an' super-dense mass of concentrated spirit bullets.
つまり、当たると超痛い。That is to say, it hurts like hell.

I think this is enough to prove that magic's relation can affect the spirit, now let's look at the mind or empathic manipulation.
That sounds like something very unique to Tenshi Hinanawi and her sword, and not something "general" to any magic user in 2hu, especially since we see no one else doing something like this. Just because someone can do a specific hax through a UES, it doesn't mean that everyone who also uses that UES has that hax by default. Again, "can" is not the same as "always" or "by default".

First let's explain the basis of magic, in marisa's grimoire forward she explains how spellcards relate to the natural phenomena that occurs which is the cause of everything, etc etc, technically speaking magicians (magic users) can achieve any type of spell or magic so long as they understand the nature of it and use it at the correct time, substance and space. This was evidently proved how in Forbidden Scrollery, magicans can use ice magic but they're never stated to specifically have it, so that's why Marisa states she can use that dragon scale to use said ice magic even in summer (because the time at which a spell is cast can affect it's strength.) Another example of this is how | Alice in hisoutensoku was using a size |enlargement spell| on her new goliath doll. |
This passage is quite funny, because it implies that there are very specific limitations and restrictions to any given type of magic in Touhou, and that magic can fail if you use it at wrong spot.

It is also important that you mention the "substance" of the "materials and tools" needed to use magic. Last I check, the mind isn't treated as a "substance" in 2hu, and beyond the Occult Balls, there are no "materials and tools" described as being able to control minds or facilitating mind magic in 2hu.

Secondly let's now discuss how the mind can be manipulated with magic, then the empathic manipulation.
  1. 表象「弾幕パラノイア」Representation "Danmaku Paranoia"
    • 使用者 古明地こいし• User: Koishi Komeiji
    • 備考 複合型ストレスタイプ• Notes: Compound stress type
    • 心の闇 ★★★• Darkness of the Mind[1]: ★★★
    心の奥底で記憶ですらないイメージを呼び覚まし、有りもしない高密度の弾幕に悩まされるスペルカード。A Spell Card that reaches deep into your mind, calls forth vague images that ain't even proper memories, and stresses you out with high-density danmaku that isn't actually there.
    何となくいつも弾幕に囲われている気がする奴にはうってつけのスペルカードだろう。I bet it's the perfect spell to use against folks who feel like they're always surrounded by danmaku.
One of Koishi's spellcards is stated to manipulate your mind
Another one is Reisen's spellcard, but besides the point for now.
Both character are specifically noted as have special powers to mess with one's mind. This is just Tenshi Hinanawi again. We can't scale specific haxes to anyone and everyone solely on the basis of a UES.

In perfect momento in strict sense the spellcard rules state the meaning of the attack, becomes it's power, so a spell that's like "dream sign: ncaivninvcspi" would be a form of dream manipulation, because that's how magic in Touhou works.
Your link is broken.

2. The Empathic manipulation is more direct, kokoro is directly capable of manipulating emotions to create an attack, joy being my example here
So yes, with my explanation of how magic works in the first place, it should not be out of question for someone like Marisa to be able to use these, especially under a UES.
And Kokoro was explicitly noted to have the ability, treated as specific and rather unique, of manipulating emotions. This doesn't necessarily scale to anyone just on the basis of a UES.

Yeah an avatar is completely different from their spiritual nature, this doesn't look physical to me Nitori confirms this previous scan here, and well we just saw marisa affect the spiritual form, as for blood and flesh, that's covered here. Some are physical, some embody a concept, but nonetheless still have a spiritual form which is interacted with by magic. Simple.
We see a youkai manifest as canine-shaped black smoke cloud, which Marisa kicks to death, not even using magic. Looks 100% physical to me.

We then see Nitori's evil aura visualize itself as some "shadow kappa", which also means little, and might as well just amount to a fear-inducing or overwhelming aura.

Some gods and youkais "existing for the phenomena they cause", and some existing "for their powers" (whatever that means), and some races existing "solely for the work they do" means that they represent a concept, not that they necessarily embody it or anything. It's like giving a fictional thunder god the status of abstract existence solely because he "exists to cause thunder" or "exists for the power to cause thunder" or "exists solely for the work of thunder".

Given how gods, youkais, and shinigamis can just sort of wither away in 2huland without any of the concepts they represent being affect any, I'm going to go off on a limb and say that they don't "embody" anything as such.

Even if we see a magic user in 2hu hurt a spirit or soul or disembodied consciousness or abstract entity, then that's little more than non-physical interaction, and not some specialized "nonphysical attack" of any sort, unless we have verifiable proof that the magic user in question has a specific ability that allows them to manipulate spirits/souls/minds/abstractions.

I refuse to acknowledge the basis of your argument. I gave an explicit and detailed explanation of what spellcards are and how they relate to magic.
As for the broken link, it’s mainly a small part here.

As for the youkai physiology part, yeah you are aware they have non physical interaction right? They don’t 100% need to use magic all the time to affect a youkai.

Oh and if you don’t think they embody a concept, then clearly you’ve never touched ULiL or AoCF. It was verbatim stated an Urban Legend is how the youkai are created. I’m not going to provide a scan for absolutely everything I say because it’s infuriating how you refuse to acknowledge the arguments properly and nitpick the context when you yourself don’t even touch on the said source it’s from. I’ve had enough of you.

...Yeah, I agree with Guardian_Doge here. It's increasingly evident that you have barely read anything relating to Touhou, and are just desperate to downgrade it to hell and back, regardless of accuracy. I'm not going to engage your actual points, because god knows we don't need a repeat of last time.

If you want us to engage you on equal footing, bring scans from the source material. Until then, we have nothing to debate here. I've learned my lesson from last time.

Got rejected with virtually no discussion or explanation as to why it was being rejected, we basically had to beg for an actual discussion.

I'm amazed we still got infinite speed out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back