• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Threads being closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I wouldn't usually care that much about a thread being suddenly closed. I know that admins have a reason to do so and it helps keep the wiki sane.

I'm also not really pushing for my thread to be re-opened. I don't feel that strongly about it to demand I have it back. But I still feel the need to make this post to point some stuff out in hopes some admins are more aware of their actions.

The admin closed a thread I recently made because:

1. I was apparently ignoring something about the conversation, even though I had discussed it prior and would have freely offered an answer to it. But they simply left their counter-argument and closed the thread before I could respond. That seems to be a common occurance on this wiki. I don't spite an admin for feeling the need to close a thread when the person who made it is refusing to see reason but I think that offering a counter-argument and closing the thread before that person can respond is counter-productive and can easily become an abuse of power. Keep in mind, this thread was not meant to be super serious. I wasn't trying to change anything about the wiki or its profiles nor was I trolling or forcing old tired debates; I was simply trying to have a theoretical discussing with anyone who might be interested. So I don't see why not having a good counter-argument (which I never got to give) is seen as good enough reason to permanently close a thread.

2. There is no answer to the scenario I had given because it had too many variables. While I admit I got off-track and strayed away from my initial scenario, I could've easily eastablished its rules more if given the chance (which I wasn't because the thread got closed). Once again, I don't see why this means the thread has to be closed. It was only meant to be a theoretical discussion I made because I was curious of what other people thought. It isn't me desperately pushing for the wiki to change anything. That's why I put it in the General Discussion Category as opposed to the Content revision one (idk, should I have put it under Fun and Games?). If you think my question is too vague, then fair enough but that shouldn't stop others from trying to tackle it or me from refining it to be more clear. The thread was relatively harmless.

3. They lost interest in arguing with me. This one I really don't get. Why would an admin close a thread (which I should reiterate was only posted for the heck of it and isn't pushing for any kind of illogical content revision - effectively making it harmless) because they are not interested in it? I did not make that thread with a specific admin in mind nor did I set out to gain their approval. The thread was made for anyone who wanted to join in and discuss things. So I don't see why an admin gets to close it just because it fails to convince them on something that is largely inconsequential to the wiki. If someone made a thread arguing about who their favorite Naruto character is and an admin gets bored of discussing it, do they just close the thread? Because it fails to keep them entertained?

I should say once again that the thread was never in danger of causing the wiki any harm. Leaving it unattended wouldn't have caused Saitama to be upgraded to tier 0 or anything.

The admin summed up the thread as "repetetive, endless, pointless". Fair enough if they see it that way but my response to that would be, with all due respect:

You know you don't have to be part of it right?

Sorry in advance if this post sounds rude, but it is a bit condesending to have threads closed so casually for little good reason.

Thank you but there's really no need. It's left a bad taste in my mouth and I've lost interest in it. I was just trying to point out that adminx should be more careful about what threads they close when said threads are harmless.

@Loud just because a thread is harmless, doesn't mean it shouldn't be closed. For example, most DB upgrade threads turn out to be harmless, but we made it so they don't get repetitive by limiting them. Likewise, since your thread was getting repetitive, it was closed.

@LoudCloud

I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but I did not want to continue an endless cycle of the same logic. A speedy character could tire out first. A durable character could tire out first. But there are so many unknowns that we would be repeating the same statements and trains of thought for days, causing grief for you and me. Personally, I also have a good number of assignments to do in Real Life, including writing an entire play. I did not want to be caught up responding to that thread every ten minutes for something that's going to be utterly pointless.

But you never had to keep the conversation going. You could leave as you saw fit. It wasn't a content revision thread, it was just something for people to give their own view on a scenario. I don't see why one person's indifference or boredom to a thread should mean it has to be closed.

@LoudCloud

But what is the point of that thread? There's a reason why we have an Inconclusive Match section. If a fight lasts millions of years until one person keels over (if that ever happens), can we really call it a notable fight?

I agree with Reppuzan. We eventually have to close threads that have been answered, in order to save time. Our work is hard enough here as it is.

Also, this is definitely not a wiki management thread, so I moved it to questions & answers.

The thread I made was not to question any of the sites rules or information. That's what I'm trying to say. It was simply putting forward a "what if?" scenario that anyone could discuss. I understand admins have "to save time" by closing threads but that thread was only wasting the time of those who chose to be involved with it and to stay. I don't see any fun and games threads that are mostly people making stupid jokes being closed to "save time".

Well, perhaps closing it might have been inappropriate, but it would be better if you politely ask Reppuzan directly about it.

Maybe you are right. However, at that point I didn't really feel like carrying on with the thread (not that Reppuzan knew that) so no point in bringing it back. I just made this post to bring awareness to admins that threads should be closed because they are dismissed (when arguing to change profiles), banned, offensive, concluded or inactive and not because an admin no longer wanted to be part of it.

I hope I don't sound patronising or overly-offended. I'm just trying to make this wiki a more welcoming and level-headed place. It's already gotten a bad rep because of how some admins run it (not that I think those admins were in the wrong those times; some people are just buuthurt over admins not accepting their illogical crap) and I'd hate for it to continue that way. Please view this post less like a butthurt non-admin telling admins how to run their wiki and more like a reminder that admins have a lot of power and applying it wrongly can ruin people's experience here.

You can close this thread if you want now. There's not much else I have to say. Thank you for your understanding.

For the record I hold nothing against The real cal howard, Reppuzan or you. I empathise a lot with the admins here. You guys already get a lot of unnecessary hate despite all the work you have to do. I'm only pointing out incidents like this for the sake of the wiki, which I hope you can all agree is what we're all striving for.

Thank you so much for running such an awesome wiki :) The last thing I want is to sound ungrateful.

Okay. Thank you very much for the appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back