• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thought beings and ideas

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
As I explored around Fallen London, there was a somewhat frequent issue that made me think about the definition of our powers.

In-universe, and a case that I think might apply to other universes, there are multiple characters that exist as abstract ideas or beings, that have nothing left of them, but are still "alive" in a sense and capable of acting. There are also examples of characters being transformed into living stories, ideas and such things.

I thought at first that ir is a blatant expression of Abstract Existence and Conceptual Manipulation, but now I am hesitant. Said characters do not embody, nor are necessarily related to a concept. They are just... abstract.

Would that still imply Conceptual Manipulation and Abstract Existence?

Abstract existence, one can be a thought and pure ideas, for example The Celesties became abstract beings by eliminating themselves from reality in a very specific way, leaving only their idea and identity, acting as a mass of thoughts

It depends on conceptual manipulation, if they can, for example, change the idea that defines them or consume other ideas, then it would be Conceptual Manipulation.

What about transforming beings into, say, living stories? (Which is the precise example I'm trying to understand)

That is, they don't live as a concept, at least not in the usual sense, but as a specific story that acts partially on those that know it, but particularly those who tell it.

Just to make it clear, it is explicitly about the story itself, not a memetic mind construct or something like that. Said being became the story, quite literally.

Abstract existence dom't require you to exist as a whole concept, you simple need to exist as a abstract form, if you are made of pure thought or ideas, even if you aren't the very embodiment of them, you get it.

From what i recall, most daemons from warhammer aren't embodiments of full ideas, but simple made of warp stuff, which is made of concepts, metaphors, etc, and they get AE type 1

What about transforming beings into, say, living stories? (Which is the precise example I'm trying to understand)

That is, they don't live as a concept, at least not in the usual sense, but as a specific story that acts partially on those that know it, but particularly those who tell it.

Just to make it clear, it is explicitly about the story itself, not a memetic mind construct or something like that. Said being became the story, quite literally.
this is more complicated, I suppose yes, the story would also count as something abstract, being in the same way that rumors and words are that act at a more perceptive level, being in itself the idea transmitted in a story

Back