• The VS Battles wiki celebrates its 10 year anniversary!

Please click here for further information.

The upcoming forum move

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
As part of the Versus Battles Wiki community, we too will be moving our forums to a new external website come April 15th. Any threads made after this point will not be carried over, so be sure not to be attached to whatever you end up making.

Aside from that, this means that in order to access the new forums, you should have a registered email associated with your account, so you can receive your login credentials for the new forums. In addition, you'll have to update any links you have to threads on your pages here to link to said external forums. Pages will be unaffected besides links to threads breaking.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble. Fandom's just sort of forcing us to do this, as VSB is much more like a forum than a traditional wiki. We're not quite the same, but none of us should have to suffer through the alternative.

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
It'll be vsbattles.com

Blogs will be fine.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Thank you for the highlighted thread Promestein, but I don't think that we should have revealed the new address yet. Oh well, what is done is done. Please don't reveal the information required to watch the site yet though.

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
1. It's obvious.

2. No one can access it anyways so what does it matter.

3. They should know anyways.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Okay. I just hope that there won't be any disturbances for Community Hired in their setup work.

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
There won't be any issues.

I'm fine with the announcements.

Drag-O-Drawgon

FC/OC Battles
Content Moderator
BlackDarkness679 said:
So links to matches to be updated basically? How you update them?
You will likely have to update the links with external links to the new forum. I cannot give specifics at this time as I do not know much.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
There is an automatic redirect function that is easy to use to find the threads. The links have to be updated manually though, so it will be a big project.

There will be a much better search function than currently, yes. It is similar to the Narutoforums.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
To quote a post that I wrote in another thread:

First the forums will be backed up. Hopefully very soon. Then the backup archives will be sent to a programmer that helps us out. Then he will convert the information to a XenForo format. Then that will be sent to Community Hired. Then CH will install all of the discussion threads into the new forum. Then we will check that everything works properly, and set up the remaining appropriate settings. Then invitations will be sent out. And I will also have to check through the username invitation list along the way.

Also, this thread explains how to make sure you'll get an invitation email. You also need at least 100 VS Battles wiki edits. These can be gained by quickly editing your userpage there several times. You can write "1", "2", "3", or something similar.

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
Alright.

If you don't have 100 edits or more on VSB but wanna have access to the new forums please say something here to let me know.

Wikias that don't use Forums in the first place are essentially unaffected, right? On a Wiki I frequent we just have all the threads that would go on Forums go on our Message Walls instead.

And no I'm not linking the Wiki. That's not the point og this Thread

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
More or less yeah.

I don't think my edit count on VSB comes anywhere close to what I have here.

That said will they be changing the layout of the entire site or just removing forums?

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
I dunno about other changes in format.

i wanna have access too. while i have 100 edits thanks to tinkering with my profile info i want to be sure i have access so im letting this be known here

Promestein

Cicada Killer
VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
Not worth it, just by noting you here you'll be fine

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
No, I am afraid that increasing your edits is not enough anymore. Fandom told me yesterday that their edit list for the VSB wiki is from April 6. That is why we want all productive FCOC members with less than 100 VSB edits to mention it here, so we can give a list of their usernames to Fandom.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
For the record, I have asked the Fandom staff to use user lists for FCOC and Joke Battles as well, but don't know if they will be able to do so.

I know someone that is mainly active in VSBW and holds over 100 edits, but after April 6th

I guess he can reply here and ask for support?

Bobsican said:
I know someone that is mainly active in VSBW and holds over 100 edits, but after April 6th
I guess he can reply here and ask for support?
you have to let me go bobsican

the crash wasn't your fault (also i am not by any stretch of the imagination an active user)

Oh well, I still don't feel like you're too aware of how the site goes and all of that, but if you insist.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I just had it reported back from the Fandom staff that they are waiting for a reply from the technical team if it is possible to get user lists for FCOC and Joke Battles as well. They do not think that it should be a problem at least.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
You have more than enough VSB edits to get an automatic invitation letter.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
@Hagane

Yes. Of course.

@Princess

I hope that Fandom will use member lists for FCOC and Joke Battles as well, but I do not know for certain yet.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
The backups to April 14 are already up at the new forum, but the FCOC and to a lesser extent Joke Battles forums have not been converted in a good way, so the Fandom technical team is taking a look at what went wrong with the backups, so they can fix the problem.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I do not think so, but I was just told that the Fandom and Community Hired technicians have found the reason for the problem, and are trying to fix it.

Its sooooooo bad....
And what? Just to appeal/cater to mobile or visual editors?

Last edited:

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Well, I am personally very worried that my edit patrolling will turn near impossible until all of the upcomming updates are applied, but I have been continuously talking with the Fandom staff for the last few months about functionality issues that will have to be fixed, and they have already applied a few of them. For example, the recent changes only used to be able to display 1000 edits as a maximum and the message notifications did not function properly at all.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Anyway, the reason for the update is that Fandom's old software is severely outdated, and they have not continuously upgraded it until now.