• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The thread everyone wanted. Deleting SCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's written well, you can essentially get anything on that site. yes, it's painful to get tales and articles but that doesn't change a random shmuck who just so happens to have a knack for writing can just walk over and write something for something they didn't create. (impressively, they did get Siren Head and Among us there. my hat off to you troopers who got Among Us on the SCP site)
Being able to write well enough is true of almost any platform or medium, unless you are specifically discussing group writing projects that like, have a you submit a resume and job application. Further, you would be surprised how much of a successful wiki article is not down to being well written (in fact, my submission to the SCP contest was criticzed for being well written and nothing else). The leason that just good writing isnt enough is one many aspiring SCP authors have to learn. Really the only people on the wiki who could theoretically write almost anything they want, its the established authors with long back logs. You are also dead wrong on Siren Head, that got removed for violating the wiki policies. It even got nuked from SCP sand box.

Also yes I'm still surprised Tanhony got away with an amongus article lol. As are a lot of people on the SCP wiki

Hard disagree with this notion. If we delete this, we need to delete literally most large franchises and their files/scaling/cosmology, etc. Comics, TV shows, movies, MCU, star wars, GoT, dragon ball and Naruto, Fate, etc, etc. There hundreds of verses that will get removed in that case.

So, no, it's not "fanfiction". If you consider this fanfic, then consider every large franchise fanfic and delete them.
I’d normally not comment on things like this but comparing SCP, something built from the ground up on what is undeniably a wiki to be something anyone can write on to MCU, Dragon Ball, and mf’ing Star Wars is asinine. Might as well say tomatoes are like moles because they both come from the ground, they’re that far apart.

You’re doing a great disservice to people like Grant Morrison or Al Ewing by comparing them to “ScifiSmile400” like jeez.

I’d normally not comment on things like this but comparing SCP, something built from the ground up on what is undeniably a wiki to be something anyone can write on to MCU, Dragon Ball, and mf’ing Star Wars is asinine. Might as well say tomatoes are like moles because they both come from the ground, they’re that far apart.
That's not the point though. We all know SCP is different from these big franchises. But the same things SCP is being accused of is something very much done by other things we absolutely allow. In your own words that's like bitching about tomatoes coming from the ground but being okay with moles doing the same thing.

If you think actually think SCP has problems with it, actually point out these problems, instead of just using arguments that, objectively, have not prevented other verses from existing.

You’re doing a great disservice to people like Grant Morrison or Al Ewing by comparing them to “ScifiSmile400” like jeez.
portrait-military-soldier-giving-salute-boot-camp-89669479.jpg

Let us all salute to the excellent work of these comic writers and the great service they have done.

I think this opinion might lack perspective on the historical status of comics. They weren't necessarily high or exclusive art for the majority of their existence.

Anyway....The argument at hand is that scp is fanfiction, and the reasons given aren't good or applicable. You can't just call collaborative art fanfiction because it has lots of collaborators, some of which don't suite your taste.

I’ll be frank. I don’t like the extended canon of SCP, both in general and for the site. I think tier 0 682, no matter what context there is, is the dumbest thing we’ve ever done here, and that says a lot. But at the same time I’m neither enough of an SCP-head nor involved in the site enough to make these decisions anymore. I merely commented on an argument that got under my skin a bit and responded justly.
That said, I will give a quick opinion of mine on the matter. If you wanna do the “compare to other franchises” schtick, give it the same treatment. If the connected work has people being paid/contracted to do it and involves licensing rights, it’s fair game. Because, since I know people will ask what separates SCP from those big franchises, that is the answer.
Or we could, y’know, just use common sense. Nobody’s thinking of adding that 173 story where it clones itself and takes over the planet to the wiki, because it’s so inconsistent to the lore of the initial character. Fun what-if, but that’s all.

Grant Morrison is a junkie into occultism who used to support PETA, he's not an unreachable genius or whatever. Stop putting these people on a pedestal because they wrote super hero books.
Because everyone knows that effed up beliefs means that your works will suck, right? Clearly the Cthulhu Mythos and Rurouni Kenshin and Harry Potter are terrible works because their creators were terrible.

Because everyone knows that effed up beliefs means that your works will suck, right? Clearly the Cthulhu Mythos and Rurouni Kenshin and Harry Potter are terrible works because their creators were terrible.
This is getting really close to off topic/thread derailing. The stuff you're posting was only tangentially related and is now almost completely unrelated.

Them: "Stop putting these people on a pedestal, they arent a genius"

You: "Oh so now just because of their beliefs their work sucks?"

The jokes write themselves.

Or we could, y’know, just use common sense. Nobody’s thinking of adding that 173 story where it clones itself and takes over the planet to the wiki, because it’s so inconsistent to the lore of the initial character. Fun what-if, but that’s all.
We do use the story in our page though

tbh it probably should be its own key. But it's also the lamest key ever, being literally just one more ability. But the old Series 1 skips haven't been touched very much lately.

Morrison literally wanted to write about Susan Storm ******* Johnny because of their headcanon about "they just look like they have an oedipus complex", and Ewing's basically just doing SCP storytelling.

You deadass just picked the worst examples lol, and in general comic writers aren't above freelance writers, you as an independent writer should RECOGNISE that getting published doesn't correlate with your talent and is mostly reliant on your connections, 90% the time.

I don't even like SCP writing, but this is a really stupid assertion I think no one on planet Earth should be going by.

Aight lets stop the off-topic ******** on marvel writers i dont care about, and wait for OP to eventually respond so we can finally have no excuses left in our way leaving this shit open and we can just close the thread.

Morrison literally wanted to write about Susan Storm ******* Johnny because of their headcanon about "they just look like they have an oedipus complex", and Ewing's basically just doing SCP storytelling.
I know i said no off-topic but this is really funny and i want to show an interview excerpt. Do as i say, not as i do and what not.

Morrison: And then I’m going to do Fantastic Four. You’re the first person to hear this.

I’ve worked out this whole Freudian shit. The incest thing in The Fantastic Four. What you’ve got is a family. There’s Reed and Sue, the Mom and Dad. Johnny’s the big brother and Ben’s the little crazy baby. But in that situation you’ve got Johnny and Sue — brother and sister! So there’s an incest thing that the Fantastic Four hides.

I looked at it and said, okay, Sue actually wants to **** Johnny and Johnny wants to **** Sue. So how do you do that? They make Namor, the Sub-Mariner who is always a linked pair with Johnny. The Human Torch and the Sub Mariner have always been together since the ’40s. Namor is the dark, seedy, watery, wet, dirty side of it. And Johnny’s bright, mercurial. So he doesn’t **** his sister — but Namor does.

iFUSE: Marvel Comics will let you write this?

Morrison: All I’m doing is using that as the basis, then I make a story out of it. The story suddenly has this incredible power because underneath it are these terrible incestuous tensions.

Honestly this thread I feel is just thoroughly rejected, all OP has are assertions very poorly demonstrated and I see no point in keeping this open.

I'm closing it, have a better worded OP next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back