• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Potential of a Backwater Villain From a Popcap Game to Take Over All of Literature

As I was growing up, I found a villainous character that I thought, at the time anyway, was the most powerful villain I had ever seen. His name was obscure, his powers unknown, and his defeat unimpressive, but my memory of him lingered, wondering what would have happened should I have failed to defeat him.

His name is Professor Codex, from Bookworm Adventures.

Codex
Recalcitrant verminous annelid! You have not defeated me yet! I'll simply build a bigger army, and sadly your timer has reached ZERO. Any last words, gullible grub?

Professor Codex is the guardian of the Great Library and the mentor of our hero, the bookworm Lex. Possessing a magical pen, he warped the hero into a collection of Greek fables in a quest to save Cassandra. He then arrived at the end of the story to kidnap her (in disguise as a red cloak with glowing eyes and a small universe under it, ala Count Bleck, Nightmare, etc.). He pinned the blame on Dracula, sent Lex through an Arabian Nights knockoff to find a magical weapon and then finally through a collection of classic monsters to go and slay him.
At the end, he revealed that he was the one who captured Cassandra, and that the whole point of sending Lex on this wild goose chase was so that he could defeat a massive array of monsters and villains, putting them under his direct control.

The final battle isn't much to write home about as far as feats go. [1]

Codex proves his ability to summon things by whipping out Cerberus, Medusa, Shaitan, and the Wolfman before fighting you himself. He can slash you with thrown books, crush, restrain, and infect you by conjuring a massive book and slamming it in your face, and simultaneously freeze and incinerate you, but most of those attacks fall under game-mechanics and are not actually quantifiable. He gets defeated when Lex, who attacks foes by spelling massive words, throws together HIPPOTOMONSTROSEQUIPEDALIAN and uses the Pokemon move Hyper Beam.

The big question for today is whether or not this crane could have succeeded in taking over all of literature, piece by piece.

Could this crane potentially take over every single classic, comic, horror, fantasy, manga, and fanfiction by systematically defeating low-weight characters like Tom Sawyer, higher and higher strength characters until he has control over beings as powerful as the Living Tribunal, God Emperor Doom, Whis, Sauron, Azathoth, Lucifer Morningstar, The Emperor Over the Sea, Saitama, Eru Illuvatar, and even, *gasp*, Hercule Satan?

If so, what kind of power would be present in this pen, a thing that can bend even the mightiest of the gods, anthropomorphic personifications, and Mary Sues to its whim, and its wielder?

TL;DR: This obscure character is potentially broken. Do you think he could defeat every other literary character ever by defeating lower weight characters until it all snowballs into an army of badasses under his complete control?

Probably not, as even in both fiction and reality, higher levels of existence function as limits to one's power, meaning you can never really snowball past a certain point. It'd be pretty strong, though. Might eventually be able to take over up to some High 3-A characters.

I might make a case that Mr. Codex might be able to grab a character in their first book and grind them up to points reminiscent of their later levels of nonsense or competence (e.g. Kid Goku to DBS Goku, Batman in the streets to Batman with all of the right gadgets to nab Superman, then the rest of the Justice League, then the villains), or perhaps use some nasty hax-characters to triviliaze many an encounter (Medusa looks like a cheap way to nab Dr. Doom and an eldritch abomination or two).

And then there's the potential for him to just write up a new character to grab that's immune to everything except the means he used to nab them.

Yes, it's still rather silly, but I think this guy could be pretty devastating.

Well, that's my question solved.

As a quick though exercise, I decided I would try to see what sort of tier he would be, based on nothing more than his in-game feats, a little power-scaling, and only the foggiest idea of what kind of numbers are being thrown around. Just the way I like it.

Codex takes absolutely no damage from three or four letter words. This immunity trumps even that of Medusa or the Shaitan in power. How hard does a three letter word hit? That's unknown, but the immunity is exactly on par with the Mama Roc, a fifty-foot tall bird. That would mean that four-letter words are at least small-building level, seeing as size is the Roc's only power, and therefore the only thing granting the immunity. That would put Codex's durability in at a point where large building level attacks are the bare minimum amount of power required to harm him.

I just realized that I don't know how I would go about determining that.

I'll go start up a discussion somewhere else and come back when I've got a response. I'm having a blast!

I'm predicting somewhere in Tier-8.

Back