• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Nephalem in Diablo 3?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
A suggestion has been made that we should upgrade the Nephalem from category 7 to category 3. Given that this is a massive change, I wonder if the rest of you could give some input? Thank you.

In the books it was said that the weakest of the angel incarnations can destroy Sanctuary a thousand times using a single portion of it's power. The Nephalem is Half-Demon Half-Angel and he/she has the potential to become stronger than all the demons and angels . When you start the game you are not too strong but where I am right now with my Crusader Level 70 ( Paragon 194 ) Diablo lost 1/4 of his Hp just by hitting my Crusader one time ( I did not do anything ). And just before that battle Diablo beat Imperius the strongest archangel with ease.

I think the Nephalem Tier should be 4-A or 3-C.

Sanctuary :
Diablo3worldmap.jpg

To add to this even more, Diablo is a Prime Evil, one of the three strongest demons alive, so imagine how much more powerful he is compared to the Lesser Evils, who are all vastly more powerful than regular demons. Imperius was capable of matching Diablo in combat according to Diablo III: Wrath . Then in his battle with the reborn Diablo the only damage he was able to do was scratch him.

I take it not many people on this wiki play Diablo. Considering half of the people in this conversation have stated they know nothing about it.

Even though I haven't read the books in the Diablo franchise, I've played the games and know a good amount of the lore, so I'd be a good help.

Probably, but since he beat the reincarnated Tathamet, whom Anu couldn't defeat for thousands of years, wouldn't he be the strongest?

On the other hand, Diablo wasn't technically a fully reborn Tathamet, since his body was made of the grounds of Hell, which Diablo just left, though he did have all of the Seven Evils, so I guess this is just superficial.

The Nephalem are the strongest alive characters in the verse then . Anu was the first being in existence there is not way that the Nephalem can beat that.

Just a thought that came to mind, I do agree though that the real Tathamet and Anu are stronger.

Since this conversation derailed a little, is the Nephalem going to get an upgrade?

I'd say at least 3-C or 3-B, given how he was able to defeat Prime Evil Diablo alone, when he stomped Imperius (Who should be around this tier based on the book statement) and the original Tathamet's dying energies (Combined with Anu's) created the universe.

Alright me in my first post I have him at 4-A or 3-C. In the books the heroes of Diablo 1 and 2 all defeated Diablo together. Im pretty sure that the same for Diablo 3.

Like I said, I never read the books, but where was it stated that there were multiple heroes in Diablo 1 and 2?

EDIT: Apparently, it's contradicted/left ambiguous how many Nephalem there are, Storm of Light and the Book of Tyrael say there is only one while The Story of Diablo says all of the classes in the game are Nephalem and they all take part in the story.

Wow, really? I knew about Aidan (Since he was mentioned by Adria in III), but not the other 2 characters.

But are we going to go off of the the idea that there are multiple Nephalem or that there is only one, as there are conficting sources of information regarding this.

Reasonable enough, I'll edit it as soon as someone unlocks the page and tells me what to change.

Well, I still do not know the game, but since Keven also thinks that there should be a massive upgrade, I suppose that there is merit to the claim. Can somebody link to information, or other people give further input please?

Hmm. The text says that this creation myth may have been an elaborate metaphor for the battle between good and evil...

Did the characters of Diablo ever display anything approaching galaxy-level power in practice?

Not really no, but considering how well that would work, they couldn't display that level of power, it's the case with many RPGs, like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy or The Legend of Dragoon.

Hmm, and you are certain that the prime evils possessing multi-galaxy level power was not an elaborate metaphor/hyperbole, as the text says that more informed individuals believe?

Maybe not the Prime Evils themselves (As in, Mephisto, Baal and Diablo), but definately Tathamet, as he is explicitly described as having created the universe from his dying energies combined with Anu's.

Yeah, but the linked images about the lore said that the creation myth may all just be an "elaborate metaphor for the fight between good and evil".

What do you interpret that as exactly? There is evidence that that happened in-game (You can find the aforementioned Rogar's Huge Stone and Tyrael directly mentions Anu and Tathamet in an optional conversation in Act IV before you fight Diablo).

Oh. Okay. Well, I would still like to hear more opinions from the rest of the wiki staff about this, before making a decision. I will ask them.

So were basing this upgrade on Tathamet's and Anu's dying energies creating the Universe, which may just have been an allusion to Good and Evil...

Well I have nothing against upgrading them, but there isn't so much hard evidence that can contribute to their upgrade other than what Kevenkiller linked, so I'm still kind of skeptical.

I'm indifferent really. We should wait for more opinions like Ant said, and whichever side the majority votes (with good reasons), I will go with.

In the books it was said that the weakest of the angel incarnations can destroy Sanctuary a thousand times using a single portion of it's power.

Planet level at max.

This is a quite a bit away from how i determine feats ( feats and calcs) but as long as the evidence given in the link is legit, isn't contredicted in any way and cannot mean something else about diabolo other then just his strength, then i believe upgrading him is due...

Yes, but do you think that we should upgrade him as high as 3-B, despite that nothing demonstrated within the game remotely placed him this high?

How large is Sanctuary?

From what I can see, Tathamet and Anu might be 3-A (or might not, since this was referred to as possibly being mere lore alluding to Good and Evil).

However, I will need to see some proof for Diablo becoming equivalent to Tathamet, and even so, I think Nephalem's "victory" against Diablo is likely due to game mechanics.

Well, if a single angel can casually destroy a 1000 planets, it might be star level, but multi-galaxy level?

After Tathamet died, his body became the grounds of Hell and his heads became the Seven Evils. Diablo then trapped the souls of the other Evils in the "Black Soulstone" and became the Prime Evil, which, according to Tyrael, made him a reborn Tathamet in a manner of speaking. After being killed, his soul (Along with the souls of the rest of the Seven Evils within him), were placed back in the Black Soulstone.

Game mechanics? He was literally the final boss, and his defeat was an important part of the story. The Nephalem even does something arguably even more impressive later too. He/she defeats Malthael, the Archangel of Death, even when he had shattered the Black Soulstone and absorbed the power of Prime Evil!Diablo, adding it on to his own.

EDIT: The thing is, that's referring to the weakest regular angel. The Angiris Council are vastly more powerful than them, since Imperius was capable of matching Diablo in combat (And with the help of the rest of the Angiris Council, trap him), and the Prime Evils (Composed of Mephisto, Baal and Diablo) are all vastly more powerful than the Lesser Evils (Andariel, Duriel, Belial and Azmodan), who are in turn vastly more powerful than regular demons.

Back