• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Last Dragonborn vs Eragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePerpetual

VS Battles
Retired
Dragonborn profile
Eragon

Well, this one is often requested/debated, may as well get an answer for around these parts.

Each start at a distance of 100 meters, get all of their equipment available. Who wins? Stating your reasoning would be appreciated.

This actually reminds me of a forum thread I planned to make a looooong while ago, as I feel very confused about Eragon's upgrades (He went from 9-B, possibly High 8-C to 8-A and for some reason got Subsonic speed), even as a guy who's read through all four books.

However, I think the Last Dragonborn takes this thanks to his various hax in the form of his Shouts.

Hmm... the Last dragonborns page is not really detailed about which abilities he has hax wise. It also doesn´t specify range which would be important in this case I believe.

If he can attack eragon, eragon dies in one move and if eragon is in range of his powerful skills that would also certainly happen (because of superior reaction speed).

But given that they are 100 meters apart, which will take some time to cross, if not in range from the beginning, Eragon might take it through mind attacks or various death spells. Even through I do not know if there is some type of special resistance against it. (again, the profile does not specify it)

The Dragonborn specifically has ward spells that protect against magic, he takes this without a doubt.

LDB takes this pretty easy. Eragon's Eldunari might give him an edge but that'll leave him open to Dragonrend (a couple thousand times over due to the number of eldunari he has, all that feedback might just fry his brain).

Eragon Magic has much more versatility then the LBD. The LBD has sheer power yes, but if it is soley Eragon vs LBD.

Eragon has magic and the eldunari. He can make pretty much any spell in Eragon. Magic in Eragon is not like Magic in Skyrim or the Elder Scrolls Series in General.

Magic in Eragon really is only limited to vocab. If you know how to say it in the ancient language, you can do anything. And since he knows the name, his options are near infinite.

It is 1 v 1, first time. Eragon probably wins.

And even with the ward spells in consideration, he is still physically strong combatant.

He can also cast a wordless spell that drove a man to suicide.

Just because he knows the name of magic itself.

Eragon Magic in general is hax. He can pretty much do anything and his eldunari only boosts his power.

Just started Eragon ,but Dovahkiin can just use whirlwind to just travel where eragon is and kill him instantly.

Lol nice try wanking Eragon, the name of names only effects the alagaesian style of magic using the "ancient language". It does not effect any other form of magic such as those in the Elder Scrolls Universe.

The magick in Inheritance cycle is also limited to how strong you are physically, if Eragon can't kill LDB in a physical fight, his magick can't kill him either.

Eragon's striking strength is MJ+ LDB's is ZJ+ LDB is FAR stronger.

The suicide spell applied only to Galbatorix who was a tyrant and evil. LDB is a hero who saved nirn from countless horrors. That same spell applied here would only bolster LDB's morale as he caused far more good than harm.

Once again, the name of magick only works on IC magicks, ES magicks are completely different and unbound by the parlor trick known as the Ancient Language.

The Eldunari is the one thing that ensures Eragon would lose. Dragonrend would harm the eldunari which would feedback into Eragon several hundred times over since he's connected to them. Eragon's mind would probably shatter under the strain.

Well then if you only let the rules of magic work against Eragon because of that reason, there would be no point to do this debate AT ALL.

Because then you say that magic is different and then you create a scenario of bias towards a character.

Which in this case is Lbd. Which his strength in magic is actually massive considering he has the Eldunari.

Dragonrend only forces dragons to land, according to the wiki. It does not really make his eldunari stronger or weaker.

In a way, it is his saving grace.

Now, I admit if he had his dragon, then he would definelly lose. Because Dragonrend breaks his link with Saphira.

However, his link with the eldunari would only really work if he had them on hand. Which he doesnt. Its sealed in a vault.

You missed the entire point of how the suicide spell work. The point is that he used magic in a magic protectant field. Galatrobix used a spell that stopped movement and prohibited spells.

Meaning when it comes to magic solely, Eragon is easily in the top 5 of magic users. Only Doctor Strange, Aladdin, Father (Maybe) can beat him.

Because doctor strange can do similar things with his magic, aladdin from magi has no limit because of the rukh and Father from fma maybe, MAYBE.

The first two, however, for sure can probably beat Eragon.

But the point is Eragon is one of the strongest magic users in all of fiction because of hax.

If it is physical strength, which they are both comparable... Then yes, then the lbd may win.

But 100 meters? Eragon has the advantage.

And please dont use the word wanking. I hate when people use words like that to help promote their arguement on the sole grounds it does little to improve your arguement and it is an insult more then anything.

If you wanna have a clean debate on who would win, fine. Im here.

But otherwise, I would please ask for you to refrain from those words and focus only on the arguement.

AnimuFan said:
Well then if you only let the rules of magic work against Eragon because of that reason, there would be no point to do this debate AT ALL.

Because then you say that magic is different and then you create a scenario of bias towards a character.

Which in this case is Lbd. Which his strength in magic is actually massive considering he has the Eldunari.

Dragonrend only forces dragons to land, according to the wiki. It does not really make his eldunari stronger or weaker.

In a way, it is his saving grace.

Now, I admit if he had his dragon, then he would definelly lose. Because Dragonrend breaks his link with Saphira.

However, his link with the eldunari would only really work if he had them on hand. Which he doesnt. Its sealed in a vault.

You missed the entire point of how the suicide spell work. The point is that he used magic in a magic protectant field. Galatrobix used a spell that stopped movement and prohibited spells.

Meaning when it comes to magic solely, Eragon is easily in the top 5 of magic users. Only Doctor Strange, Aladdin, Father (Maybe) can beat him.

Because doctor strange can do similar things with his magic, aladdin from magi has no limit because of the rukh and Father from fma maybe, MAYBE.

The first two, however, for sure can probably beat Eragon.

But the point is Eragon is one of the strongest magic users in all of fiction because of hax.

If it is physical strength, which they are both comparable... Then yes, then the lbd may win.

But 100 meters? Eragon has the advantage.

The name of names can ONLY control the ancient language, they can only prohibit magick cast using the ancient language. Hell Eragon himself used a wordless spell to get around the NON's ban on magick. ES magick is a completely different system from the Ancient Language one, the name of names has no power beyond the Ancient Language. The books themselves even say so. It's complete NFL and ignoring canon if you say that the NON can no-sell all magick when it specifically says it can only disable magicks based on the ancient language. I am not being biased, it is literal fact that the NON is useless on anything not based on the AL.

LOLOLOLOL wow...you know nothing about how Dragonrend works do you? Dragonrend forces Dragons to feel the full impact and meaning of MORTALITY, their landing is only a side effect from that realization. Since Eragon is connected to the Eldunari Dragonrend would effect the Eldunari through that link and cause it to feedback to Eragon as well. Several hundred times feedback of the meaning of death would cause Eragon to become a vegetable.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Strongest in all of fiction! Wow...just wow... Eragon is probably the weakest magick user imaginable, possibly bar the nasuverse. Most magick users can destroy vast areas to compensate for maybe a physical shortcoming, Eragon's is just a less efficient version of hitting something.

Eragon is over two entire tiers under the LDB, this is a stomp. LDB has his strength in Zetajoules, Eragon's is merely in Megajoules at the most. Eragon is literally outclassed in every way imaginable. At 100 meters Eragon would get shot down by Stormcall, or a thunderbolt, or jets of light from Auriel's Bow to the sun. Enchanted gear against magic would negate the deathwords, and the LDB outclasses Eragon completely as a physical fighter.

No, he is one tier. He is a 7A and the LBD is an 6B

And if you only apply one rules of magic without taking account both worlds rules of magic, you are essentially god modding your LBD. You got to take account both worlds magic rules.

Because then, there is literally no point to do this debate and since you are being rude in general, I dont think I can take any of your opinion seriously since you keep missing the point.

Eragon can make any spell he wants with or without words. Including Wards, Teleportation, Fire etc.

And Dragonrend only seems to work on flying dragon. You cant really paralzye something that doesnt move to begin with.

Source: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonrend

And I quote " Dragonrend works by forcing the targeted dragon to understand the meaning of mortality — something so utterly incomprehensible to an immortal dragon that the knowledge tears at their very soul, breaking their concentration enough so they cannot focus on flying. When used on a dragon, the dragon finds a place to land, upon which it remains temporarily paralyzed"

It doesnt kill the eldunari, just paralzying them. And since Eragon uses the Eldunari like a battery, I dont think that really makes a case for LBD and nis dragon rend.

And I said he is one of the strongest, you are putting words in my mouth.

Doctor Strange and Aladdin surpass him, as I stated before.

I will like an Admins opinion in this matter.

I know I am being a tad rude, but I am losing my temper.

May I get an extra opinion here because I think we are at an impasse.

Dragonrend makes any dragon feel the pain of mortality. In the inheritance cycle universe you need to have a mental connection with something in order to use it as a battery. If he has the Eldunari then he's screwed, as his mental connection would make him feel the pain of mortality several hundred times over, if it doesn't turn him into a vegetable then it'll paralyze him open for the LDB to turn him into paste with one hit. Eragon's wards also draw from him, LDB is country level while Eragon's only mountain at the most, most of the LDB's shouts would easily either overcome the wards or cause the wards to drain Eragon dry trying to stop the damage. Eragon has no chance.

I AM applying both rules, the rules of the NON is that it only effects the ancient language. It says so right there in the book.

Eragon can cast with intent only...which is pretty much the Elder Scrolls version of magick.

From what i read on the eragon wiki the name of names doesn't work on wordless magic so it's not a factor.

Dovahkiin is just too strong for eragon, and he has 100 ways to end him even if dragonrend is of no use.

Kkapoios said:
From what i read on the eragon wiki the name of names doesn't work on wordless magic so it's not a factor.
Dovahkiin is just too strong for eragon, and he has 100 ways to end him even if dragonrend is of no use.

^ Pretty much that. The only hax that'll work on someone so far above you would probably be CHIM or something.

We're also not even considering that Hermaeus Mora would probably protect his champion from some of the more esoteric magicks...if they'd work on a Shard of AKA to begin with.

I dont think powerscaling is truly a way to give Eragon or anyone justice. Because anyone in a lower or higher tier will win or lose because of abilities.

But here is a genuine question, how can Dragonrend effect the Eldunari if it only has one target. He doesnt carry the eldunari, he has them telepathically linked yes, but Dragonrend essentially only has one target: Eragon.

I concede that LBD would win one sidely if Eragon had saphira, but I dont think dragon rend be effective here.

Even then, he still knows the name and has the versatility to cast theoritically anything.

Like, I am not saying he would win onesidely, but I think he has a bit higher of a chance.

Because if Eragon knows the name, he can write the rules of magic.

If it is a close combat or with Saphira, fine, Eragon would lose. But magic wise, I lean to Eragon winning.

Give it up, we all know canon states the Name of Names only makes the rules when it concerns magicks bound by the Ancient Language. With the telepathy of the Eldunari, the dragons are essentially one with Eragon, they'd get hit with Dragonrend as soon as Eragon does.

One question: If we assume that the name of names works on magic like the thuum ,does eragon need to know the name of the shouts and what the words of power mean to affect them?

Probably not because even though I still think he can beat lbd in a magic fight

Dragon Shouts are entirely different from magic magic. Magic magic is an evolution of Dragon Shouts.

Which could mean that Dragon Shouts are not affected by the name of names.

or the inverse as well.

I dont even think Nonverbal magic can help.

Eragon has versatility however, is my arguement. He can make anyspell with eldunari as a source and yes he has other shouts that help (since dragon rend would not help, we can assume it will just be a brawl)

It may just boil down too who has more magic knowledge.

Which Eragon has as he can make pretty much any spell with a large source of power. Wards, Attacks etc. HOWEVER. Hand to Hand, The LBD wins.

As I think you may agree with me here (talking to Kkapolos here )

Skyrim dragon shouts are completely different set of magic from magic that mages use.

So it may mean the name of names work with one or the other. I doubt both. But it has to be either shouts or magic.

Dragon shouts aren't so much spells, as commands to the universe to change to your will. It's a primal language from before the birth of the universe. The ancient language of IC is a mortal creation that bound basic uses of magicks to the language.

Dragon Shouts (THUuM), also referred to as simply Shouts or Thu'um in the Dragon language, are an ancient form of magic prominently used in Skyrim during the late Merethic and early First Era, but have gradually become obscure. Shouts use the vocalization of specific "words of power" to create powerful magical effects, usually for offensive purposes. Each Shout is made up of three words. However, one or two words of a given Shout may be used, but the effect is correspondingly less powerful compared to the full force of the word.

Taken from the elder scrolls wiki itself.

It is still magic, just ancient.

AnimuFan said:
Dragon Shouts (THUuM), also referred to as simply Shouts or Thu'um in the Dragon language, are an ancient form of magic prominently used in Skyrim during the late Merethic and early First Era, but have gradually become obscure. Shouts use the vocalization of specific "words of power" to create powerful magical effects, usually for offensive purposes. Each Shout is made up of three words. However, one or two words of a given Shout may be used, but the effect is correspondingly less powerful compared to the full force of the word.
Taken from the elder scrolls wiki itself.

It is still magic, just ancient.
You do understand quoting from the ES wiki just makes me take you LESS seriously right? UESP is where the real information's at. In either case the Name of names is the name of the Ancient Language, not Dovahzul, it doesn't have the ability to effect anything not of the Ancient Language.

Shout at time, and command it to obey, as the world around you stands still.

Command time itself to obey...it makes IC magicks look like parlor tricks.

If Eragon has all the eldunaris from the final battlewith Galbatorix then he could mind **** and defeat Dragonborn, but if not then Dragonborn wins this.

Out of curiousity, why not just all 11 words of death and end the fight before it even starts?

DB has to *talk* to use shouts, Eragon just has to think - if it's EoS Eragon, that's even more

Because Dovahkiin has about a dozen different armors that can protect him from magical attacks? Eragon's spells have trouble getting through the most basic of wards, never mind magical armors made by the Daedric Princes...hell a generic anti-magic resistance enchantment would probably no-sell the words of death as they're such tiny spells power-wise.

Nothing Eragon has in his arsenal can even compare to Dovahkiin's power.

Miraak had telepathic power enough to keep an entire island under his sway. Dovahkin is no stranger to psychic attacks (plus he has a few of his own).

Dovahkin also has shouts that let's him command the will of others, as well as to become etherial, slow time, control the weather, absorb the magicka & lifeforce of others and many more. Then there's Dovahkins equipment, including various Daedric Artifacts (the Skeleton Key unlocks hidden potential, for instance) & the Staff of Magnus, which absorbs magic in incredible amounts (Acano with the Eye of Magnus had enough power to end the world, as stated by members of the Mages College and the Psijic Order).

That's not even touching on how Dovahkin has much more raw power.

He's talking about spells that target the enemy by giving them a heart attack or severing a nerve, not telepathy. But that wouldn't work as Dovahkiin's enchanted armors would easily block such low-energy spells.

Also bringing up the Skeleton key...that's a terrifying thought the Dovahkiin shedding his mortal constraints by unlocking the full power he has as a shard of AKA and as a Shezzarine. He could probably become a monster rivalling Alduin or more.

Dragonrend actually wouldn't affect the dragons in Inheritence, since they already know they are mortal - most of them have already experienced death either in their physical bodies or in the bodies of their riders.

What armor or spell completely negates magic, as you can still be affected by spells using ward - restro and illusion spells come to mind. You could say custom forged armor, but that would mean that DB knows what armor to use before the fight.

According to the construction set, there is 784 people in Skyrim, and 56 npcs in Dragonborn. The Bend Will shout - which Miraak uses in the Temple of Miraak quest. So, in game, Miraak mind controsl 56 people. Galby TPs many more than that. This power is also limited in duration according to the word wall itself.

Also, Phantasys, you just said that the two magics are different, so no, there's no reason to assume DB's armor would block magic that isn't formed by magicka - magics in crossover worlds doesn't work the same way, most commonly seen in Dungeons & Dragons.

I'd like to say that i think this fight is whoever does what first.

"I'd like to say that i think this fight is whoever does what first."

Then wouldn't the deciding factor be speed, if that's your logic?

ThePerpetual said:
Then wouldn't the deciding factor be speed, if that's your logic?
Aye, that's the general idea, if we're in agreeance that magic works like it does in D&D and doesn't follow the laws of other realms.

Aparajita said:
Dragonrend actually wouldn't affect the dragons in Inheritence, since they already know they are mortal - most of them have already experienced death either in their physical bodies or in the bodies of their riders.
What armor or spell completely negates magic, as you can still be affected by spells using ward - restro and illusion spells come to mind. You could say custom forged armor, but that would mean that DB knows what armor to use before the fight.

According to the construction set, there is 784 people in Skyrim, and 56 npcs in Dragonborn. The Bend Will shout - which Miraak uses in the Temple of Miraak quest. So, in game, Miraak mind controsl 56 people. Galby TPs many more than that. This power is also limited in duration according to the word wall itself.

Also, Phantasys, you just said that the two magics are different, so no, there's no reason to assume DB's armor would block magic that isn't formed by magicka - magics in crossover worlds doesn't work the same way, most commonly seen in Dungeons & Dragons.

I'd like to say that i think this fight is whoever does what first.
No, Dragons in inheritance still have no natural lifespans. They're still not mortal creatures as they don't die naturally.

There are enchantments that give a blanket protection against magic, with a high enough enchantment buff you can make that 100%. When you cast a spell on yourself it's your own magick, of couse an enchantment can't block what's already at its target. If an enchantment can stop full-body paralysis...what makes you think a spell that takes less energy to lift a feather could get through it? Lorewise, the Ebony Mail and Savior's hide also protect from magicks. Though the value varies from game to game due to the need to balance gameplay.

Construction kit? Really? You know for a fact that Skyrim is scaled down, there are thousands of people in lore. Lore>gameplay BS. Miraak by lore consumed countless dragons, adding their souls to his own, Dovahkiin had around the same amount and added Miraak's stack to his own. The Dragonborn isn't a simple, single man, he's the combined total of all the souls he's consumed. Nobody in IS is going to have a chance of TPing that.

No, I never said their magicks were fundamentally different, I said the name of names only applies to the ancient language (IC's much less effective method of harnessing the same power). I wasn't saying the name of names wouldn't do its job, I'm saying that you can't give it a power it doesn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back