• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Largest Animals Ever Duke It Out (Blue Whale vs Perucetus Colossus)

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
The blue whale is erring on a possible usurping for largest animal ever by weight. At the same time, there are still some oddities about them. In a lateral position, Perucetus Colossus has a GPE of 1.8 to 8.6 megajoules (average 5.2 megajoules). For an Eastern North Pacific female, the average length and weight is 22 meters and 100 tonnes. Quick-calcing it using a ruler, I got 14 cm for its length (which is measured from rostrum to tail notch) and 1.8 cm from my computer. This would give the blue whale an average GPE of this much.:

1.8/14*22=2.828571429 meters

100000*9.80665*2.828571429=2773881 joules

At the same time, a blue whale has the KE advantage. A 100-tonne individual can achieve about 9.65 megajoules while Perucetus averages at around 8.5 gigajoules.

The Blue Whale has better range than Perucetus, with a mouth four times larger than Perucetus' mouth, although the Blue Whale primarily filter-fed while Perucetus is presumed to have eaten crustaceans and mollusks on the sea floor and thus would've had the bite force to break clam shells (Upwards 5831 newtons: https://academic.oup.com/icesjms/article/68/1/32/629897 ). The Blue Whale is also faster than Perucetus, with a speed of upwards 50 km/h while Perucetus would at best be comparable to manatees at upwards 20 mph (32.18688 km/h).

Perucetus may have a slight home-field advantage since it regularly moved in shallow waters while a Blue Whale might wind up offing itself trying to land a hit on Perucetus. Heard of beached whales? Sources vary between 60 and 90 minutes for how long a whale can stay underwater without needing to come up for air, so there's a good idea for a stamina limit.

Standard Battle Assumptions will be used. Of course the SBA page has this: "If extreme advantages are generated via this location to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread."

But honestly, you really don't need discussion to know that putting these guys anywhere other than the ocean is a bad idea. Anyway, here are their profiles.:

Blue Whale's Profile
Perucetus Colossus' Profile

Who takes this?

Blue Whale: 0
Perucetus Colossus: 0
Inconclusive: 0

Voting blue whale, I mean, there is a reason the other was exitinct and the blue whale don't, also the whale seen overall to have a more bulk body and better whater mobility

Both animals are docile, however:

Perucetus Colossus​

• Has more force potential via it's weight
  • Lifting Strength (Translates well into it's durability via the potential for surface area, lots of muscle, fat and blubber)
  • Attack Potency
  • Teeth wut?

Blue Whale​

• The Blue Whale has higher range and displacement via it's larger size.
  • Yes, I'm nitpicking whether or not slamming something from the side is different from hitting it head on. Isn't there a chance of even a Goat still having at least some of it's momentum if it hit into a wall at full speed from a 5-10 degree angle? Regardless, being shown to actually withstand whales slamming into you is a better feat than having a weak KE justification used for it's striking strength and durability. Didn't the profile of the anicent whale imply that Colossus lacks feats/context of slamming into each other at full speed?
  • Still, the Blue Whale isn't designed to move into an immovable wall.
  • Speed, of course
  • Sonar very minor
I should note something about the KE. If an animal is designed to run into an immovable wall at full sprint by context/feats, it should be on the profile. The ancient whale doesn't seem to have any good AP feats for charging at stuff.

I predict that the water won't be too shallow for the Blue Whale for it to not attack, but the SBA ancient whale should be able to take more hits from the Blue Whale until it tires out despite the latter's size. Then it can just smack the Blue Whale to death. (Colossus FRA for now)

I'd argue that the ancient whale should still be at least 9-B even at it's heaviest since we have smaller animals that are stronger than their weight and yet have their strength counterbalenced by their smaller size (like the Leopard). I wanna CRT the ancient whale eventually and N*m = J after all. But for now, I'll wait for counterarguments for the Blue Whale.

Voting blue whale, I mean, there is a reason the other was exitinct and the blue whale don't, also the whale seen overall to have a more bulk body and better whater mobility
Depends on how the reason "X animal was extinct" that reason may not be a factor in winning SBA theoretical fights. Like do you think a regular human in Central Park is going to win against a T. Rex because the T. Rex starves eventually in an SBA fight?

Both animals are docile, however:

Perucetus Colossus​

• Has more force potential via it's weight
  • Lifting Strength (Translates well into it's durability via the potential for surface area, lots of muscle, fat and blubber)
  • Attack Potency
  • Teeth wut?

Blue Whale​

• The Blue Whale has higher range and displacement via it's larger size.
  • Yes, I'm nitpicking whether or not slamming something from the side is different from hitting it head on. Isn't there a chance of even a Goat still having at least some of it's momentum if it hit into a wall at full speed from a 5-10 degree angle? Regardless, being shown to actually withstand whales slamming into you is a better feat than having a weak KE justification used for it's striking strength and durability. Didn't the profile of the anicent whale imply that Colossus lacks feats/context of slamming into each other at full speed?
  • Still, the Blue Whale isn't designed to move into an immovable wall.
  • Speed, of course
  • Sonar very minor
I should note something about the KE. If an animal is designed to run into an immovable wall at full sprint by context/feats, it should be on the profile. The ancient whale doesn't seem to have any good AP feats for charging at stuff.

I predict that the water won't be too shallow for the Blue Whale for it to not attack, but the SBA ancient whale should be able to take more hits from the Blue Whale until it tires out despite the latter's size. Then it can just smack the Blue Whale to death. (Colossus FRA for now)

I'd argue that the ancient whale should still be at least 9-B even at it's heaviest since we have smaller animals that are stronger than their weight and yet have their strength counterbalenced by their smaller size (like the Leopard). I wanna CRT the ancient whale eventually and N*m = J after all. But for now, I'll wait for counterarguments for the Blue Whale.

Depends on how the reason "X animal was extinct" that reason may not be a factor in winning SBA theoretical fights. Like do you think a regular human in Central Park is going to win against a T. Rex because the T. Rex starves eventually in an SBA fight?
While oceans very much lack walls let alone immovable walls, Perucetus' potential energy (which actually follows N*m=J) can exceed its kinetic energy should it push itself off the sea floor to breathe (which I had calc'd assuming it functions akin to a manatee like scientists were claiming). This is about the closest the creature can muster to a jump, which is a subjective case when it comes to AP (the Reference for Common Feats say they are AP feats, but it's really a case-by-case basis) especially when you consider it's pushing against its own weight and the water above itself. I probably wouldn't go for a CRT right now, especially considering the creature's discovery is only two months old and I had already gotten everything I can about it. I can't exactly see if anything could be accomplished out of it.

Also, if you ask me, "X animal is extinct" is not a valid reason for one animal to win over the other. If a T. Rex can appear in modern times in a fictional scenario (as Jurassic Park clearly shown), then what's stopping us from putting a prehistoric animal against a modern one?

Last edited:
While oceans very much lack walls let alone immovable walls, Perucetus' potential energy (which actually follows N*m=J) can exceed its kinetic energy should it push itself off the sea floor to breathe (which I had calc'd assuming it functions akin to a manatee like scientists were claiming). This is about the closest the creature can muster to a jump, which is a subjective case when it comes to AP (the Reference for Common Feats say they are AP feats, but it's really a case-by-case basis) especially when you consider it's pushing against its own weight and the water above itself. I probably wouldn't go for a CRT right now, especially considering the creature's discovery is only two months old and I had already gotten everything I can about it. I can't exactly see if anything could be accomplished out of it.
The main heart of my point is wheather or not it is built to ram into things. The Sperm Whale at the very least has Spermceti to cushion the force of rammings against each other. These animals should be superior to the Sperm Whale via size alone. The Blue Whale's KE case is mid since they're not fully, directly running into each other at full sprint. Colossus's body so far hasn't been (correct me if I'm wrong) discovered to be able to withstand their full rammings.

You do make a mild case for the Colossus being 9-A.
Also, if you ask me, "X animal is extinct" is not a valid reason for one animal to win over the other. If a T. Rex can appear in modern times in a fictional scenario (as Jurassic Park) clearly shown, then what's stopping us from putting a prehistoric animal against a modern one?
I was pointing out to Justanormallemon's premise. Let's see his response to our points here.

Also, if DarlingAurora didn't retire, I think she would give us quite the visual on the sizes (29.9/20.1 = 1.488x length difference (just like Female Puma size vs human athlete size or a preteen girl against a fully grown man for a more familar comparison)), but the ancient whale also proportionally has more force to withstand via higher weight.

Also, if DarlingAurora didn't retire, I think she would give us quite the visual on the sizes (29.9/20.1 = 1.488x length difference (just like Female Puma size vs human athlete size or a preteen girl against a fully grown man for a more familar comparison)), but the ancient whale also proportionally has more force to withstand via higher weight.
Ah, bro probably would think even a 1.25x size difference in that one singular dimension is a stomp, so who cares?

What I mean is that the extinct one seen to just not be as suit to defend It self then the Blue Whale, I think the "there is a resson on is extinct and the other not" was something like just to sound cooler? I really don't remenber

Any way, The Vkue whale still seen to me to be bulkier and better mobility, the Perucetus seen to have much more unequaly located fat and a much less resistent body with things like It's small head and tail, not to mention It's still on It's way to fully aquatic evolution

And If It really has 4 ribs the whale has a skelleton that will resist better impact having 9 ribs

What I mean is that the extinct one seen to just not be as suit to defend It self then the Blue Whale, I think the "there is a resson on is extinct and the other not" was something like just to sound cooler? I really don't remenber
Fair game, they seem to have an implied lifestyle that has elements from modern manatees.
Any way, The Vkue whale still seen to me to be bulkier and better mobility, the Perucetus seen to have much more unequaly located fat and a much less resistent body with things like It's small head and tail, not to mention It's still on It's way to fully aquatic evolution
And If It really has 4 ribs the whale has a skelleton that will resist better impact having 9 ribs
I don't see how this attacks my point of the Colossus being more durable. The Blue Whale itself is able to take a copius amount of hits from Orca rammings for countless hours, and Orcas are individually weaker than the Blue Whale.

The whale's skelatal structure is strongly hinted to be superior to the Blue Whale's. And the Colossus has better muscularity to push it's weight (higher LS gives it a strength advantage against the whale). And if you want, I could provide scans on this point, but the stronger muscles you have, the more force you're able to absorb.

I don't see a reason for how the Colossus shouldn't be able to take more hits than a modern whale that doesn't regularly ram head-to-head with each other. Not to mention that this whale has the AP advantage for the time being in this match.

And wouldn't the higher bulk of the whale make it easier to hit? Don't get me wrong, I strongly agree with you and DarlingAurora that size matters. I still see that the superior weight of the animal can give a defense to attacks from the blue whale. Conversely, a smaller head is harder to hit, so this shouldn't be a stomp if the Blue Whale is favored in this match.

Fair game, they seem to have an implied lifestyle that has elements from modern manatees.

I don't see how this attacks my point of the Colossus being more durable. The Blue Whale itself is able to take a copius amount of hits from Orca rammings for countless hours, and Orcas are individually weaker than the Blue Whale.

The whale's skelatal structure is strongly hinted to be superior to the Blue Whale's. And the Colossus has better muscularity to push it's weight (higher LS gives it a strength advantage against the whale). And if you want, I could provide scans on this point, but the stronger muscles you have, the more force you're able to absorb.

I don't see a reason for how the Colossus shouldn't be able to take more hits than a modern whale that doesn't regularly ram head-to-head with each other. Not to mention that this whale has the AP advantage for the time being in this match.

And wouldn't the higher bulk of the whale make it easier to hit? Don't get me wrong, I strongly agree with you and DarlingAurora that size matters. I still see that the superior weight of the animal can give a defense to attacks from the blue whale. Conversely, a smaller head is harder to hit, so this shouldn't be a stomp if the Blue Whale is favored in this match.
I will be honest, I have no idea how to awnser any of that, yes It's not a stomp and I don't think It matters much when the whale has much more mobility to be able to hit It in a better way

I will be honest, I have no idea how to awnser any of that
💀 I was making a case for the ancient whale being more durable than the Blue Whale due to the ancient whale having more muscle, fat, and bone strength. If you want an explanation for why, we can do it here on this thread and ask questions about it.

Virtually, both animals aren't designed to ram into their own species head-on. Close but not too related species (Belugas) and African Buffalo have showcased what happens if a species that isn't designed to ram at each other head-to-head.

Belugas' heads bleed and eventually die, and African Buffalo immediately die.

I still see that it would be in-character for the Blue Whale to eventually get exhausted. It's docility and lack of offensive combat experience leading it to get severely injured by ramming into a more durable animal. And such injuries would decrease it's physical capabilities eventually.

I will be honest, I have no idea how to awnser any of that, yes It's not a stomp and I don't think It matters much when the whale has much more mobility to be able to hit It in a better way
And aren't we forgetting that shallower waters may hinder the Blue Whale's mobility? vvv
Perucetus may have a slight home-field advantage since it regularly moved in shallow waters while a Blue Whale might wind up offing itself trying to land a hit on Perucetus. Heard of beached whales?

I don't think It matters much when the whale has much more mobility to be able to hit It in a better way
And durability of the Colossus still matters. Having higher durability will counter strikes from an entity of lower AP.

I don't understand how having the ability to hit better matters more when the Blue Whale's strongest methods of attack will severely injure the whale. And can you be specific on how the mobility will counter higher durability when the Blue Whale isn't adapted to run into it's kind at full speed?

The Blue Whale running into the Colossus at full swim is like a Beluga Whale swimming full sprint into an Orca's skull, the former's head will get very injured unlike the Orca. The Blue Whale's head still going to get eventually worn out and at that point, the Colossus has outlasted the Blue Whale.

💀 I was making a case for the ancient whale being more durable than the Blue Whale due to the ancient whale having more muscle, fat, and bone strength. If you want an explanation for why, we can do it here on this thread and ask questions about it.

Virtually, both animals aren't designed to ram into their own species head-on. Close but not too related species (Belugas) and African Buffalo have showcased what happens if a species that isn't designed to ram at each other head-to-head.

Belugas' heads bleed and eventually die, and African Buffalo immediately die.

I still see that it would be in-character for the Blue Whale to eventually get exhausted. It's docility and lack of offensive combat experience leading it to get severely injured by ramming into a more durable animal. And such injuries would decrease it's physical capabilities eventually.
Makes sense. I think about the only reason why the goat managed to keep its 9-C rating is because it is actually designed to ram into members of its own species head on, much unlike belugas and buffaloes.

Speaking of design, I had brought up how blue whales have significantly larger mouths, thus having higher range than Perucetus, but I have forgotten to mention that blue whales weren't really designed to bite (they typically filter-feed small crustaceans such as shrimp and krill) while Perucetus is. That's a bad on my part.

And durability of the Colossus still matters. Having higher durability will counter strikes from an entity of lower AP.

I don't understand how having the ability to hit better matters more when the Blue Whale's strongest methods of attack will severely injure the whale. And can you be specific on how the mobility will counter higher durability when the Blue Whale isn't adapted to run into it's kind at full speed?

The Blue Whale running into the Colossus at full swim is like a Beluga Whale swimming full sprint into an Orca's skull, the former's head will get very injured unlike the Orca. The Blue Whale's head still going to get eventually worn out and at that point, the Colossus has outlasted the Blue Whale.
Better mobility means It don't need to just ram into the oponent, It can also hit It with It's tail for exemple
Makes sense. I think about the only reason why the goat managed to keep its 9-C rating is because it is actually designed to ram into members of its own species head on, much unlike belugas and buffaloes.

Speaking of design, I had brought up how blue whales have significantly larger mouths, thus having higher range than Perucetus, but I have forgotten to mention that blue whales weren't really designed to bite (they typically filter-feed small crustaceans such as shrimp and krill) while Perucetus is. That's a bad on my part.
I doubt bitting would be used by any of the 2

Would It matter if the whale can do that multiple times with much more easy thanks to mobility and they beingh considerably close to land?
Yes, the real world has consistantly shown that an animal's strikes is usually lower or even far lower than the energy yield of their charges. Assuming the strongest limb (tail) from the Blue Whale hits the Colossus, it just buys more time for the ancient whale.

The Blue Whale can hit the Colossus more, but I think we've missed one important detail.

The Blue Whale can hit the Colossus more, but the Colossus can take more hits from the Blue Whale thanks to it's higher durability.

There's a feat of the Blue Whale taking more attacks and hits from the individually weaker Orcas for several hours. That's showcasing that the animal with higher durability can withstand more hits from an animal of lower durability.

And the fact that we're stuck on "X animal has higher mobility" against an animal that has higher AP and durability. This misses the point of the latter having higher durability as a counter to the more agile and physically weaker animal.

Let me make a question, AP trough gravitational potencency is applied how in combat? Just touching? Pressig the body over the oponent?

Hum...how good is the chance for the extinct one be able to push the whale to death?
It's really dependant on how much the Blue Whale will attack the Colossus early on.

A good strike on the head may techincally knock out the Colossus or severely injure it as a potential wincon via vulnerable areas and pressure, or the Blue Whale may not get a good strike at all since it's mentally not prepared for battle.

The terrain will give the Blue Whale more of a hard time to use it's agility and eventually both whales would get exhausted. At that point, stamina and AP is going to be more of a factor than speed, so chances are good if you ask me.

Meh... hitting the collosus hed seens like a pretty likely wincondition
Hmmm... upon reassessment, this battle is more reliant on how likely the Blue Whale is going to beach itself.

It's faster burst speed and larger size is a double edge sword. Speed can help get more and prevent more hits, but the Blue Whale's lack of actual combat experience may not make it attack the head 100% of the time and may make it beach itself more often than not.

Larger size gives you more range, but that mildly counters the benefit of speed preventing more hits since you're easier to hit.

Oddly enough, the Blue Whale does have more awareness of it's surroundings since it has enhanced senses and can use sonar. That's going decrease the chance of it being beached by a fair amount.

SBA would make the Blue Whale start in deeper waters, but be deep enough for the shallower end of the arena for the Blue Whale and Colossus to fight. They'll probably start facing each other.

Blue Whale seems like it has a decent chance. The wincon of the Blue Whale getting outlasted by the Colossus does still seem possible since it's docile and doesn't have a prior combat moveset to move towards.

I'll wait for more responses.

Wouldn't the collosus be knocked out by a single whale tail in the area of the head?
Note that I said the word "may" in my knock out by wincon claim, implying that the Colossus can also have a chance of surviving a whale strike there since I was taking into account of the superior musculo-skelatal structure of the whale.

The Blue Whale's tail is less likely going to knock the Collossus out due to the lessened energy output of the Blue Whale compared to it's strongest attacks.
also, the whale echolocation has any use here?
Technically nigh-irrelevant, but that's not my main point. The main heart of the point there is that the Blue Whale is more aware of it's surroundings.

The Blue Whale's tail is less likely going to knock the Collossus out due to the lessened energy output of the Blue Whale compared to it's strongest attacks.
Hummm... not sure, I doubt, the head of the collosus is around only 10% of It's body and is located outside It's main body mass, so I would say a tail strike on the head is a 90% chance of K.O

Hummm... not sure, I doubt, the head of the collosus is around only 10% of It's body and is located outside It's main body mass, so I would say a tail strike on the head is a 90% chance of K.O
I wasn't saying my claim as if the possiblity was unlikely, I was saying that it was less likely as in a 5-10% drop in chance due to lessened energy. Like if you had a 10% reduction in the required force to knock a person out, do you think the chances are still decent in that example?

Also, stronger muscles and bones mean that an animal can absorb and withstand more force, that's why I said may in my claim earlier. But pressure is going to be a notable factor here.

I wasn't saying my claim as if the possiblity was unlikely, I was saying that it was less likely as in a 5-10% drop in chance due to lessened energy. Like if you had a 10% reduction in the required force to knock a person out, do you think the chances are still decent in that example?
Yes, yes. 70% of the collosus defense comes from It's fat and It's head is a lot more exposed them anything else on It's body, with a 5-10% reduction from the whale ap from a tail slap I don't think It's enough to not knock It out

70% of the collosus defense comes from It's fat and It's head is a lot more exposed them anything else on It's body
I'm actually going to need to make a correction here.

"
"

Some Real World animals like even the hippo with context, have been stated to have muscle for their fatty appearance. The fattest people have literal health and mobility problems and I find it even more liable that animals on the size of whales and hippos having mostly fat for their bodies. Like, how are they going to do the superhuman strength feats they're able to do?

Last edited:
Back