• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Elder Scrolls: Metaphysical Studies and Discussions - Lesson One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
It won't be legit unless you argue for super CHIM protags via beating Vivec to death. Clearly.
The thing that irks me the most about this is that there is a ton of material (Basically the entire 36 Lessons) heavily suggesting that the Nerevarine achieves CHIM, but we'll never get any confirmation.

>Be me

>Go to /teslore

>See thread where people say CHIM gives you now powers at all and its just a state of mind

Stuff like this makes me realize why my blog is needed.

@azzy

That's also unironically another of the most common downplay statements in TES.

"Mankar Camoran was a Daedra Worshiper. He's just a crazy cultist and nothing of what he says has any value."

People generally mistake his ravings for complete lunacy, but there is factual semblance to his speeches. Although, he really needs to brush upon his Daedra knowledge. I recall Camoran miss labeling the oblivion realms of one or two Daedric Princes.

TBH MK justified that because he wrote his Speech on the fly in an email he sent to Todd Howard and Todd decided to put it in the game.

Ahh, figures that would happen. Anyway, I had no idea that Kirkbride was still around during the making of Oblivion. I could have sworn that many of the Morrowind writers left after its release, Kirkbride included. Oblivion's writing left much to be desired for me, and don't even get me started on Skyrim. Still, Oblivion had very fun and engaging quests atleast.

I see. I never denied it, I simply wasn't aware of his involvement in Oblivion. Still, long gone are the days of Daggerfall and Morrowind. If Fallout 4 is any indication, I'm not certain about how the writing will turn out in TES 6.

Matthew Schroeder said:
https://youtu.be/FibjoldRIOU?t=145

MK is clearly credited as an "Additional Writer" in Oblivion. As he wrote all of Mankar's dialogue and Mankar's Commentaries.

And then he wrote the entire Knights of the Nine DLC.
Are u the one that will mostly do the revision for Elder Scrolls? cuz i heard they're getting revised and be put at 1-A

Can I just say something about Elder Scrolls

Melee combat is like the worst

Then again that could be due to my computer getting potatofied due to how massive the game is.

But still, my brief playing of Skyrim before I just kinda gave up was pretty much just me walking up to things, clicking the left mouse button and waiting for the other dude to die.

Or if I die, finding a way to not die via excessive cheese.

The Lore looks great, but combat definitely isn't my cup of tea

Still not as bad as Morrowind where you hitting something is like trying to kill a bear with a club made out of paper mache.

Until you mod the ***** out of Skyrim or Oblivion. Well, haven't played Online yet so all I will do is give a preemptive YOU HERETIC.

EvilMegaCookie said:
Still not as bad as Morrowind where you hitting something is like trying to kill a bear with a club made out of paper mache.

How did this series ever make money

Good characters, Another view of fantasy genre, The creators take great care of this franchise and it takes years to get a new game like that, Lizard waifus/husbandos, good uses of the mechanics, etc.

Yes but the combat makes it barely playable from this discription. I don't question literally every other part of the game, that stuff is all very good, but just... When you're playing an action RPG, there should be at least adiquete Action.

DMUA said:
Yes but the combat makes it barely playable from this discription. I don't question literally every other part of the game, that stuff is all very good, but just... When you're playing an action RPG, there should be at least adiquete Action.
There's something called the console where you can raise your skills till the game plays normally. What he said was just a description of what happens in early game when your skills are unpolished.

If you complain about not being able to hit your enemy in Morrowind you haven't even built your character around the playstyle you want to use, so you're doing something wrong. Skyrim's combat is pretty bad but it has a ton of modding options, so it becomes not bad. Oblivion has the best combat of the 3 to begin with.

Combat isn't even the worst part of any of the games, IMO.

DivineTedrius said:
Tamriel Rebuilt still blows my mind to this day.
Played too little of that mod. I love all of Ancimaestro Antares' collection which makes roleplaying top ******* notch:

You can actually become powerful within your chosen faction, punish, demote and promote people. You can play as a guard and go HALT on their asses. You can mark people to be murdered by assassins from the Morag Tong.

Then there's also the Clockwork City revisited mod which acts as a prequel to all MK fans' favourite Skyrim quest mod, Wheels of Lull.

I find TES games to be best when you don't try to be a jack of all trades and instead focus on one way of approaching combat. I do think that even with mods the gameplay can be a bit lackluster, but the games nevertheless have a great deal to offer for those it appeals to. That's fine if that isn't you (I think the games aren't as universally accessible as critics gush that they are), but if you like what you see, you've got a whooole lotta playing to do.

DivineTedrius said:
If you complain about not being able to hit your enemy in Morrowind you haven't even built your character around the playstyle you want to use, so you're doing something wrong. Skyrim's combat is pretty bad but it has a ton of modding options, so it becomes not bad. Oblivion has the best combat of the 3 to begin with.
Combat isn't even the worst part of any of the games, IMO.
The problem is that it just looks bad when you are clearly swinging at the enemy but you don't hit because dice demands that you do even when it passes right through the body. Which is why I prefer the combat of Oblivion and Skyrim over Morrowind's due to the combat system being a lot more polished.

Skyrim's perk tree is insufferable though and nowhere near as fun in terms of character customization as Oblivion and Morrowind though.

You play in 3rd person, right? That's the only time you can see weapons pass through the body without connecting.

I mean, in all 3 games you still se hits connecting when they're feet away from each other, which isn't much better.

I agree on the perk tree. I miss attributes.

Anyway, I know about Gods and the protagonists, but who else is getting revised? It was brought up in a VS thread of mine of Giants and lesser Daedra (which I guess would be Daedroth, Golden Saints etc) being around tier 8.

If you pick the right class at the beginning of Morrowind, you should be fine. I had a Long Sword skill of about 50, and my Luck stat was around the same so I was able to hit enemies quite frequently.

Still, the reason why it is my favorite game isn't because of it's combat which I consider to be fine. Now, this is coming from someone who has played a ton of classics like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Gothic, and Icewind Dale so I am rather lenient when it comes to basic combat systems.

Regardless, try playing TES Adventures: Redguard. If you can play that game, you can practically play any other entry in the series.

The Mysterious Stranger - Delta- said:
If you pick the right class at the beginning of Morrowind, you should be fine. I had a Long Sword skill of about 50, and my Luck stat was around the same so I was able to hit enemies quite frequently. Still, the reason why it is my favorite game isn't because of it's combat which I consider to be fine. Now, this is coming from someone who has played a ton of classics like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Gothic, and Icewind Dale so I am rather lenient when it comes to basic combat systems. Still, try playing TES Adventures: Redguard. If you can play that game, you can practically play any other entry in the series.
Literally. All you need to do to not be stuck missing your opponent is to ensure a weapon skill in your major skills and stick with it. I get the feeling most people who complain do stuff like picking a mage and try swinging around an axe.

I mean, end-game it's pretty fun to run around blitzing people with a 100% guaranteed hit chance. If nothing else, it's satisfying to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back