• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Battle To Be The Strongest Genin: Round 1

I guess the first thing we've got to determine is whether the Gentle Fist will be capable of damaging Gaara through his defenses.

Hm… Neji should be able to break through the Sand Armor, but the Sand Shield is a bit more questionable.

I’d say that he could still get through, since he scales to Fourth/Fifth Gate Lee, who was breaking the Sand Shield.

I think Neji's biggest issues here will be Gaara's instinctive reactions and the difference in LS. If Gaara catches or pins down Neji, it could be game over for him.
Even if Neji starts overwhelming Gaara's shield, Gaara's proven fast enough to use sand clones substitution in response to much faster opponents like Lee.
Though in Neji's case, he won't be caught off guard due to the Byakugan's range of vision.
I also highly doubt Gaara would be able to get through Kaiten.
This is honestly more evenly matched than I initially thought. Both have very valid paths to victory.

Neji legit can't do anything to Gaara.

He's arguably slower than base lee without weights; and even if we highballed him to be just as fast as Lee the second he busts through the sand shield Gaara puts on armor.

Speed being equal actually makes this a stomp in gaara's favor.

Neji's too slow to get past sand shield.

Speed equalization affects attack speed as well, as far as I know. So it would extend to Gaara's sand as well.

Speed equalization affects attack speed as well, as far as I know. So it would extend to Gaara's sand as well.
Gaara's sand shield's speed doesn't scale to his sand's attack speed, only his instinctive reaction; which Neji doesn't have so there'd be nothing to equalize.

Besides, Neji is a CQC fighter. Only like rotation would scale to Gaara's sand speed, him just fighting would still scale to Gaara's base fighting speed; which is poor.

Gaara's sand shield's speed doesn't scale to his sand's attack speed, only his instinctive reaction; which Neji doesn't have so there'd be nothing to equalize.
I'm not sure that's how it works.
The Speed Equalization rules state that all categories of speed are equalized by having the faster character's speeds match the slower character. This includes their attacks, projectiles, reactions, and everything in between from the looks of it.

"The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character. Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight etc."

So yeah, I don't see a reason why Gaara's sand won't be included in this, as well as the speed of his Sand's Instinctive Reactions.
Besides, Neji is a CQC fighter. Only like rotation would scale to Gaara's sand speed, him just fighting would still scale to Gaara's base fighting speed; which is poor.
Again, everything gets equalized to the same level, that's the point of speed equalization.

@UchihaSlayer96
I'm not sure that's how it works.
The Speed Equalization rules state that all categories of speed are equalized by having the faster character's speeds match the slower character. This includes their attacks, projectiles, reactions, and everything in between from the looks of it.
You completely misinterpreted/misread the rule.
You see how it says "Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight etc". It clearly says it's reduced by the same multiplier as combat speed and specifically not reduced to match the slower character's other speeds.
This is because it would make no sense for people like gun wielding characters to be fighting a speed equal battle against people who match their bullets in speed, when they themselves can't do that normally. Among other problems that arise when you equalize everything across the board.

All of this really doesn't matter since; for one, Neji doesn't use projectiles. Which is what Gaara's sand is. Nor does he have instinctive reactions. He really wouldn't have anything to counter these speed advantages even if we made the rule what you think it is.

So, via our own standards Gaara's sand is much faster than Neji here, both offensively and especially with his instinctive reactions.

I vote Gaara. I don't think Neji's Gentle Fist would be capable of seriously damaging Gaara's sand shield or getting through his sand armor, and I think he'd eventually be overwhelmed by Gaara's sand, since it seems unlikely Neji could overcome all the sand surrounding him at once if Gaara used his sand coffin.

Last edited:
The Lee vs Gaara fight is flashing through my head right now, and there's no way Neji can pull off that same overwhelming speed to take on the sand bullshit.

Just noticed that Neji is barely slower than Gaara's sand, and his reactions surpass his sand. So he could very well get past his sand.

His Kaiten should also be able to block all of Gaara's offensive moves. Would any of Neji's Gentle Fist/Eight Trigrams attack be able to work despite Gaara's Sand Armor?

IK I already voted but I'd like this answer'd

Also, I don't see the reason for speed to be equalized. Neji is definitely NOT slower than base Lee. If Lee felt he needed to use the Gates to keep up and overwhelm Neji's speed, then it's pretty clear that Lee knew he stood no chance against Neji in just his regular state, even with the weights removed. Base Lee was fast enough to bypass the sand shield without his weights. I feel as though unequalizing the speed would make things more interesting than an equalized speed battle.

Back