• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Surviving Re-Entry into the Earth's Atmosphere

Valiant_Abyss

He/Him
I'm sure as hell I've asked this before, but finding threads that are a few months old in popular categories like the QNA board feels near impossible, so I'm asking again.

Anyways, is surviving re-entry into the atmosphere enough to qualify for resistance to Extreme Temperatures? A scan with how hot re-entry can get would also be very helpful.

about 3000 degrees Fahrenheit

Although it causes drag, it also causes intense heat. Specifically, shuttles face intense temperatures of about 3000 degrees Fahrenheit (about 1649 degrees Celsius) [source: Hammond].
https://science.howstuffworks.com › ...

How do spacecraft re-enter the Earth's atmosphere? - Science ...

It converts to heat (from friction) caused by the atmosphere's molecules striking its leading edges. This heat makes the Shuttle's surfaces reach temperatures of up to 1477° C (2691° F). We must design the re-entry trajectory, and the vehicle, to withstand these high temperatures.
https://www.faa.gov › media
PDF

Returning from Space: Re-entry - FAA

Back