• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Supergirl Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard disagree with Supergirl being above Superman. Notice how all of these statements were when she just showed up, and people weren't that familiar with her power-set. Some are even just treated as possibilities/theories, with Superman even blatantly says not to believe that, and shares an alternate theory while also stating he could beat Supergirl any time. Makes sense when he was clearly winning that fight too.

As well as this, there's a plethora of evidence for Superman being above Supergirl, like how Supergirl can't budge creatures as strong as Superman (JLA 80-Page Giant 2011), Doomsday pretty easily defeating Supergirl while Superman contends him (Superman #871), Superman restraining Maelstorm, who beat up Supergirl until Supes interrupted (Superman/Supergirl Maelstorm #1), a weakened Superman beating Warsuit Lex (Superman/Batman 6), who is able to defeat Supergirl (Supergirl #3). This is only like, half the examples I have, but I think the point is clear.

If you need me to move any of the links to imgur, let me know, since I've recently learned Discord links aren't okay anymore.

Edit: Forgot to say, but despite disagreeing with the Supes scaling, the Power Girl scaling and whatnot is fine.

Even if Kara wasn’t stronger than Kal, this would be contradictory regardless since it implies that she’s vastly weaker than him, which is absolutely not the case.
Sending someone flying is not “easily defeating” them, and Superman and Doomsday don’t even make contact in that scan.

Also as far as I can tell, Superman #871 doesn’t exist. The longest running Superman series I can find is Superman Vol. 1 (1939-2011), which ended with Superman #714.

Not to mention the fact that there’s multiple examples in my sandbox of Kara fighting and matching Doomsdays.
a weakened Superman beating Warsuit Lex (Superman/Batman 6), who is able to defeat Supergirl (Supergirl #3)
Lex’s gauntlet had four different kinds of Kryptonite in it (Supergirl Vol. 5 #3, November 2005) when he fought Supergirl, and he was constantly exposing her to it. If anything, that only means Kal would be stronger than her if they didn’t have powers.
Superman restraining Maelstorm, who beat up Supergirl until Supes interrupted (Superman/Supergirl Maelstorm #1)
This is the only decent “anti-feat” for Kara being weaker than Kal, but it has a similar problem to the first one of portraying Superman as vastly above her, which is consistently shown and stated to not be the case.

And that’s also ignoring how Kara directly scales to or above Superman-level people like Bizarro, Doomsday, Ultraman and Martian Manhunter, and she stomped the latter two.

Reality Warping (Superman resisted Mister Mxyzptlk’s realm without physics, gravity, reality as well as fractured space-time. Mxyzptlk also attempted to erase Superman from all of reality and memory)
This happens in post flashpoint continuity. Might want to find some of his earlier RW resistances.

Ofc, can't blame people not wanting to fix his pages.

Imma fix his post flashpoint and some alts like earth one. (And I lost its vol 3 hardcover too, I need Buy a new one first)

Anyways, most looks fine to me. I have similar concerns regarding her > supes but too lazy to make arguments yet.

About her being stronger than Kal, I want to make it clear that she’s not like, significantly stronger than him. It’s more of an >= situation.

Sending someone flying is not “easily defeating” them, and Superman and Doomsday don’t even make contact in that scan.
I meant to say easily overpowering. The point is how casual Doomsday is during it, not even really focusing on her.
Here's Superman stopping him, it's not really shown in either page but it's super clearly implied.
Also as far as I can tell, Superman #871 doesn’t exist. The longest running Superman series I can find is Superman Vol. 1 (1939-2011), which ended with Superman #714.
Typo, meant to say Action Comics #871. My bad, was in a bit of a rush writing it.
Not to mention the fact that there’s multiple examples in my sandbox of Kara fighting and matching Doomsdays.
She had a lot of help against the clones in 3 of the scans you showed, and during the event, even with that help there were occasions that the Doomsday were overpowering her.
Lex’s gauntlet had four different kinds of Kryptonite in it (Supergirl Vol. 5 #3, November 2005) when he fought Supergirl, and he was constantly exposing her to it. If anything, that only means Kal would be stronger than her if they didn’t have powers.
Maybe so, but as far as I can tell from the fight, he only used green Kryptonite until he used black Kyrptonite at the end. Lex also was using the Kryptonite against Supes, so I don't see why him exposing it to Kara is that relevant. This is a pretty clear example that when both are weakened by the same circumstance (if anything Superman being more weakened due to previous events in the issue).
This is the only decent “anti-feat” for Kara being weaker than Kal, but it has a similar problem to the first one of portraying Superman as vastly above her, which is consistently shown and stated to not be the case.
Tbh, I don't think it's that inconsistent.
Like how:
1. Superman takes on Ursa, Non and eventually Zod (Superman: War of the Supermen #0 and #1), while Supergirl loses to Ursa alone (Superman: War of the Supermen 4).
2. Darkseid tanked a punch from Supergirl without flinching at all (Superman/Batman #25). Supes obviously scales to Darkseid, so you get the idea.
3. Supergirl's consistent rival Powergirl struggling to restrain Superman despite the help of tons of other heroes and being in a state of no-mercy (Superman/Batman #33).
And that’s also ignoring how Kara directly scales to or above Superman-level people like Bizarro, Doomsday, Ultraman and Martian Manhunter, and she stomped the latter two.
Superman's pretty consistently above Bizarro. The stuff on the Bizzaro page is also kinda off, like sending him flying once when he's occupied with saving people and one time where he notices it's too easy because Supes is letting Bizarro hit him that far aren't the best of evidence. Especially with other occasions where Supes has beat him kinda lopsidedly (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman #3).

I don't want to derail the others that much, but I don't have an issue with Superman being Doomsday, Ultraman, Manhunter, etc. as well. There's a lot of evidence for some of those specifically, but I don't want to derail the thread into Supes vs Manhunter or some such.

I already explained earlier in this thread how they’re not outdated-
Well, even if you want to back Supergirl being >~ Superman, I countered those specific statements in my initial response.

Only portion I really disagree with is the hard stance that she's more powerful than Superman when the statements come from an arc that gets retconed in the next one that the reason people assumed she was much stronger is because Superman holds back to a greater degree than she does.

So I'd mostly just change "Stronger than Superman" to "Comparable to Superman". Other than that excellent work.

I recall statements about Kara being more powerful than her cousin were in actuality referring to her metabolism moreso than power level, in that she processed solar radiation faster than Clark making her stronger for a short period but meaning she burnt through her reserves faster.

Either way scaling to Superman is a tough one given he's the poster boy for holding back tiers upon tiers upon tiers.

I meant to say easily overpowering. The point is how casual Doomsday is during it, not even really focusing on her.
Same thing, sending someone flying is not easily overpowering them. By that logic, Supergirl easily overpowered Bizarro, who we list as equal or stronger than Superman.
Here's Superman stopping him, it's not really shown in either page but it's super clearly implied.
“Superman stopping him”
Kal is damn near on the ground after that impact, he didn’t stop Doomsday at all.
She had a lot of help against the clones in 3 of the scans you showed
In the first scan, everyone else is attacking Doomsday’s body while Kara matches his heat vision with her own. The others aren’t exactly helping her there.

Second scan, she sends Doomsday flying on her own.

Third scan, once again sends him flying by herself.

She only has help in the fourth scan and the first one if you want to count that, she still contends with Doomsday by herself twice, and by your earlier logic, easily overpowers him sends she sends him flying.
Just means she and Doomsday are comparable to each other, which supports her being >= to Superman.
Maybe so, but as far as I can tell from the fight, he only used green Kryptonite until he used black Kyrptonite at the end.
Yeah… that’s the entire fight before Dark Supergirl happens, and he still uses the green Kryptonite against her.
Lex also was using the Kryptonite against Supes, so I don't see why him exposing it to Kara is that relevant. This is a pretty clear example that when both are weakened by the same circumstance (if anything Superman being more weakened due to previous events in the issue).
And like I said, that just means Clark is stronger than Kara when they don’t have their powers. That has no bearing on how strong they are with their powers.
2. Darkseid tanked a punch from Supergirl without flinching at all (Superman/Batman #25). Supes obviously scales to Darkseid, so you get the idea.
No, Superman does not obviously scale to Darkseid, not all of Darkseid’s avatars are the same strength, y’know.
I don't want to derail the others that much, but I don't have an issue with Superman being Doomsday, Ultraman, Manhunter, etc. as well. There's example a lot of evidence for some of those specifically, but I don't want to derail the thread into Supes vs Manhunter or some such.
Well, we currently accept Doomsday and Manhunter as being >= to Superman, so until that changes, it’s viable for Kara’s scaling.

Whatever, this isn’t a big enough deal to have a big argument over, I’ll just change it to “Comparable to Superman”.
I can settle with that. 4-B is pretty clear anyways off of fighting Manhunter, Power Girl and the other characters mentioned.
Also for the record, the Darkseid in the comic I mentioned is the same one Supes stuck on the Source Wall, who Supes was comparable to. The other stuff in your response I do disagree with and would be willing to discuss in private if you'd be interested, but if not that's fine,

Have the above-mentioned occasions in which Superman was shown as being more powerful than Supergirl been taken into account? If s, all claims and links to scans in which she is claimed to be more powerful than Superman should preferably be removed, if this has not been done already.

I already changed it to list her as comparable to Superman.

Okay. So there are no remaining links to scans in which statements or showings of superiority were made then?

Okay. That is good. Your revised page can probably be applied then.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back