• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
How can Miraculous Ryuko overcome Pearl's Mid-High regen?
Anytime Pearl gets stabbed in the chest, she gets poofed and her gem remains. It usually takes a while for pearl to come back. If Ryuko ends up hitting her gem (on her forehead), it would crack and pearl would be all glitchy and if it ends up shattering, she can’t regen at all and she pretty much dies.

Anytime Pearl gets stabbed in the chest, she gets poofed and her gem remains. It usually takes a while for pearl to come back. If Ryuko ends up hitting her gem (on her forehead), it would crack and pearl would be all glitchy and if it ends up shattering, she can’t regen at all and she pretty much dies.
Basically, Ryuko ends up poofing Pearl (with difficulty), Her gem remains, Ryuko shatters the gem.

Damn this thread hasn't been touched in a while huh? Either way its still open so I'll give my verdict.

It's a close call I think. Ryuko is definetely experienced when it comes to sword combat, but Pearl is overall much more experienced of the two courtesy of her age and her constant practicing.

Ryuko scales to 151 Kilotons courtesy of scaling to LB and CN who can beat Mr Pigeon who can Lift the Eiffel tower into Outer Space, while Pearl scales to 142 Kilotons courtesy of being able to damage Peridot's Pod which could survive crashing into Earth, so Ryuko takes the edge here, though only slightly in terms of overall comparison.

However, neither can claim both factors here. Ryuko is slightly stronger (and also has better Lifting strength as Class G>Class M), but Pearl's years of training means she has more skill than Ryuko, and her experience fighting corrupted gems for thousands of years (as well as other gems) means that she has a lot more experience fighting gems who are physically stronger than her (but Ryuko's comes close with the varied powers akumas have). So while both have their advantages, the main thing that will be determine their verdict is the powers that they wield.

At a first glace I thought that Pearl might be the one to lose here since Ryuko's powers allow her to transform into elements and become intangible, meaning that Pearl would be unable to hit Ryuko and lose due to being hit first. However, when looking at both pages and researching a bit more, pearl takes this in this regard due to a few small reasons (before getting into abilities).

1. Ryuko (and by downscaling from Dragonbug, who also has her powers) has consistently shown that her abilities can only be used once. And I don't say once as in that its a power that can be used one time for a limited duration, I mean it can only be used for one action. Either Ryuko can use it to transform into her element and become intangible (and turning back means she cannot do it again), or she can use it for something like the water barrier Dragonbug created.
  2. Following that, Ryuko can only use each power once, and using all 3 means that Ryuko then has 5 minutes to turn back.
  3. Granted, Ryuko could run and hide in order to recharge, but at best that means she also gives Pearl time to recover and strategize, who would likely soon realise what Ryuko is doing. Even if Pearl doesn't figure it out, Kagami doesn't normally carry food to recharge long the same way Marinette and Adrien do (given that she returns the miraculous back after each mission). Even if she does, she could only carry so much at any given time (for the benefit of the doubt lets say she brings enough food for 5 recharges). So not something that would help her in the long run.
  4. Ryuko suffers from a lack of screen time overall, having two powers being used at a rather basic level and one that hasn't been used yet in the show, so her true potential remains mostly obsucred. Feelsbadman.
And this isn't even the ability discussion page yet. Lets get into actual abilities.

Pearl wins this in this regard by having everything she needs to both counter and win against Ryuko.
  • Pearl has overall much more better ranged options than Ryuko, given her ability to shoot energy from her spear while Ryuko is normally a melee fighter. Ryuko has two abilities (water and wind) that are likely not going to be damage dealer powers in this fight (she can't drown pearl and the wind would likely be used more so to push Pearl back) , so her best bet would be her lightning powers to attack Pearl, but it can still only be used once while Pearl can spam hers. (On that note, Pearl has much better effective combat range).
    • Following the previous note, it could be argued that Ryuko's lightning power could be a win-con for her, since the lighting could also potentially destabilize Pearl (similar to how gem destabilizers/Yellow diamond can do the same thing). However, Ryuko can only use her lightning power once per transformation, and Pearl possibly scaling to Garnets own gem physiology (who could block real lighting bolts) means that Pearl could likely resist being destabilised. Granted, Pearl scaling to Garnet (even in regards to physiology) is dubious at best, but the fact Garnet can no sell lighting but not the destabilizer means that natural lightning is not the same as the energy that a destabilizer emits (even if you factor in that Ryuko's lightning is magic based, its not enough to argue that her power can match a gem destabilizer). Regardless with what I mentioned previously regarding Ryuko's one use limit, even if we highballed Ryuko to have that power to poof Pearl, its not enough to make it a reliable win con since she would still need to hit Pearl to being with, and with one use per transformation its not likely to occur.
  • Pearl's ability to create light holograms means that she has the numbers advantage since she can make holograms like holo pearl, who are tangible beings that also carry pearls combat experience (due to being made by her).
    • She can also project light as a means to blind Ryuko as well, but she has not been shown doing this in the show, so YMMV.
  • Pearl can also control clouds to cover the area with smoke, blinding Ryuko. Ryuko can use wind dragon to blow them away however, but its not like pearl can just call them again.
    • In fact, this ability along with her ability to make holograms means she could likely use them to disorientate and confuse Ryuko. However, aside from Pearl never using either ability in combat against other gems, she has never used them at the same time in the show proper
      • However, Pearl does have a lot more experience with how to use her powers, so its not an impossibility. It all really depends on each person's view.
  • On stuff that actually is seen in the show and are more talk worthy for a win, Pearl's regeneration means Pearl can likely survive losing a limb or two if Ryuko manages to hit her. Ryuko doesnt have that however, so all damage taken will accumulate and wear her down at the least
    • Going onto the topic of poofing, Pearl could likely survive having her physical form destroyed once, but it is a 50/50 chance on that whether or not Ryuko would destroy her gemstone or not, since on one hand she does fight akumas with cursed items (so she would most likely do the same to Pearls Gemstone, but on the other she could also just assume Pearl was destroyed and move on (since she wouldn't know what a gem is). Granted, it would only work once since Ryuko is a smart cookie, but it does mean Pearl has a literal 1-up on Ryuko.
      • It should also be noted that any gem can rush the regeneration to come back faster, though it does result in deformities on the body shape.
  • Honestly, Ryuko's best bet at a victory is going intangible with one of her power forms and then attacking with either another power or her sword, but aside from the fact that she could end up wasting the power before she can use them for the strat, Pearl's experience means that Ryuko's unlikely to get the drop on her in an actual fight, and it could only likely be used once before Pearl realizes what Ryuko is doing and adjust her combat strategy to counter it.
So yeah, I think Pearl wins. Ryuko is stronger and has intangibility on her side, but it pales in comparison to Pearl's experience, abilities, and overall better combat longevity.

God this was a long post

Also here's a summary for the TLDR people on both characters strengths and weaknesses.

Ryuko
(+) Slightly stronger
(+) Has intangibility due to dragon powers
(+) Better colors (objectively)
(+) Lightning powers could destabilise and poof Pearl...
(-) ...but also maybe not
(-) Doesn't have many ranged options
(-) Each power can only be used once per transformation, and using all 3 de-transforms her back after 5 minutes.
(-) No regen
(-) Arguably has very few appearances, meaning that we don't know her full potential for this verdict.
(-) In fact, she has never used her lightning powers in show, meaning its questionable about what she can do with them.
(*) Lost the love triangle to what is arguably a Mary Sue MC.
(*) That smile...that damn smile. Recommended by 9/10 dentists.
(*) Can't sing (or at least hasn't sung YET. Still waiting on that Lukagami duet episode)

Pearl
(+) More experienced by leagues
(+) Is likely smarter in combat due to said experience.
(+) Better ranged options for attack
(-) slightly weaker, though not by that much.
(+) Still Likely better in melee (no not the smash bros game)
(+) Has regen while Ryuko does not, allowing her to recover from non fatal hits while Ryuko is worn down.
(+) Has the numbers advantage with Holograms
(+) Cloud control, holograms and light abilities means Pearl can confuse and disorient Ryuko with illusions and deception...
(=) ...However, she has never used her powers that way in canon (but could be argued as possible since she is still quite experienced with her powers)
(+) Can regen her body from her stone.
(-)...However the process likely would take too long, meaning Ryuko could win by SBA knockout assumptions.
(=) Can rush the process to regen faster, but it can result in her body becoming deformed.
(-)Not to mention she could possibly be shattered before she can regenerate, and could at most be used once before Ryuko realises her weakness. Not to mention Ryuko fights akumas with a similar weakness.
(-) Could possibly be destabilized with Ryuko's lightning powers
(*) Got NTR'ed by a human with a beer belly.
(*) Has less human interactions than Kagami
(*) Can sing

Verdict: The two characters complain about their shitty love lives.

Ok its 12am here Ineedsleepbye.

Last edited:
You can't really argue that Pearl will do some things based on things she never did in the show. If anything that means that's not in character for her to use. The same applies to Ryuko too but you seem to only give that potential leeway to Pearl. Ryuko's lightning would also be High 7-C like her wind/water dragon, which is stronger than Real Lightning

Also no, lightning wouldnt destabilize her just by virtue of being lightning, gems have been struck by lightning before with no issue whatsoever. Destabilizers are not the same thing as lightning.

You can't really argue that Pearl will do some things based on things she never did in the show. If anything that means that's not in character for her to use. The same applies to Ryuko too but you seem to only give that potential leeway to Pearl. Ryuko's lightning would also be High 7-C like her wind/water dragon, which is stronger than Real Lightning
Admittedly you are right, I am arguing that Pearl could possibly do somethings that pearl never did in the show, but I also did that to Ryuko as well

If you wanted to take only the stuff both characters actually did show, Ryuko would lose this by a huge margin alone. Even if we included feats from Dragonbug (who shouldn't really count given the latters creativity in battle), at most all Ryuko can do is attack with her sword and go intangible with her powers (for like a short moment), and maybe make a water barrier. She has never shown neither the capability nor willingness to use her elemental powers as an offensive weapon, but I did it for the sake of the doubt just to be a thorough as possible, and even that wouldn't tip the verdict since even if we do highball Ryuko's capabilities, it ultimately doesnt matter since she could only use it for one attack only, while Pearl can not only match that power with her own ranged attacks, but also use them much more consistently compared to the dragon heroine. And even if Ryuko's lighting is High-7C, it still doesn't mean that it has the some properties as the gem destabilizer, so it even it hurts Pearl it can't be considered a win-con for her.

Even if Pearl can't mix her powers together like I hypothetically, that isn't what I am get at with this verdict. Even if we kept them all seperate, Pearl has abilties Ryuko does not. She can cover the arena with cloud/smoke like seen in Sworn to the Sword. She can make Holograms like the Holopearl which are capable of fighting pearl, and based on another feat she could make up to 7 of them, giving her a clear numbers advantage. Admittely the light blinding is more or less pulling out of my ass since she never uses it as such, but it could be argued that she could use it like such in an emergency since aside from having the capability to do so, it is listed as a power under her page.

But I know you are a huge fan of talking about the capabilities of each character in reference to how much akuma's Ladybug has defeated, so you might say next that Ryuko could overcome the abilities advantage due to her experience fighting akuma's with so many different powers. Well even if we again highballed it so that Ryuko had the same level of experience as Ladybug (assuming we account fights that may/may not have occurred offscreen), its still a moot point because Pearl also has a similar type of experience with fighting various corrupted gems for thousands of years. Not to mention that Pearl is a much better swordswoman due to said fact along with how often she trains, so Ryuko's one advantage is a moot point.

I wouldn't say that the heroes are inexperienced compared to Pearl though. Even Season 1 Ladybug fought agsinst the Pharaoh l, who is powered by the Egyptian Gods that have 5,000+ years of experience as the same Pharaoh fought an ancient egyptian Ladybug 5,000 years ago

But can Ryuko even permanently defeat Pearl? Since if she can't get past her regen, then Ryuko have no wincon

I wouldn't say that the heroes are inexperienced compared to Pearl though. Even Season 1 Ladybug fought agsinst the Pharaoh l, who is powered by the Egyptian Gods that have 5,000+ years of experience as the same Pharaoh fought an ancient egyptian Ladybug 5,000 years ago
That isn't a fair statement to suggest Ryuko to have that experience for a bunch of different reasons.
  1. There's nothing to suggest that the akuma Pharaoh is the same pharaoh that fought the Egyptian Ladybug. I really don't want to hear the reasoning for it as it just ISN'T. Even if his power's are identical to the original pharaoh, Akuma's take the form of whatever the victim's goal/desire is and its just Jalil just copied it in terms of asthetics, including having multiple abilities related to the gods, which he likely just copied from what he resarched. He isn't the same pharoah, nor does he have the experience of actual egyptian gods, and its a NLF to suggest that just because he duplicated the original versions look.
    1. On that note, just because the pharoah battle occurred 5000 years ago means that the present day pharaoh has 5000 years of combat experience, even if he could possibly get said knowledge from the supposed inheriting the orginal's connection to the gods, since there is nothing to suggest the man was immortal or long lasting, or that he survived the battle with Egypt!Ladybug. At most, Jalil would get 20-30+ years of experience with the powers, which is still impressive, but nothing compared to Pearls own. And this is assuming we just take what you said at face value.
  2. Ladybug defeating him once doesn't automatically mean she matches the Pharoahs experience as she just managed to fool him once.
  3. Even if we were to take the both at face value and suggest that Ladybug has 5000 years of experience, that doesn't mean it transfers over to Ryuko.
Also if we really wanted to talk experience, the Rebellion pearl fought in happened over 5500 years ago, which was an actual full scale war with a lot more combat. Sure, it didn't go one forever (apparently it only lasted for 500 years), but that plus Pearl's extra experience fighting corrupted gems afterwards for at least 4 to 5 millenia, plus having to fight other actual homeworld gems during the show means she still trumps in experience (not to mention said experience is much more straightfoward and justifiable than Ryuko's convoluted scaling to Pharoah).

Last edited:
Fine. Though even if we scrap the Pharaoh point, can Ryuko permanently defeat Pearl? Cause if she can't get past her regen, then Pearl stomps

And even if she can, is it feasable for Ryuko to do or it would require some pretty ooc behavior that Ryuko will basically never resort to?

Well, yes, it is possible for Ryuko to get past her regen.

The regen is strong for recovering lost limbs, but not busted in terms of combat regen, and a hit with significant force (or a fatal strike through the main body area such as the chest) will force Pearl to "poof" in order to regenerate her physical form, which will leave her vulnerable as a gemstone that can be easily shattered. And Ryuko can do this with her sword, so its not impossible. It was how Pearl had her body destroyed the first time when she got stabbed through the chest by Holo Pearl.

I personally think that due to Pearl's combat experience Pearl won't let Ryuko get the chance, but it is not impossible for Ryuko to take down Pearl. I just think Pearl has a lot more going for her.

If the wincon is so unfeasable for Ryuko to achieve, as it would basically require Ryuko to know that Pearl's weakness is her gem, then it's not much of a fair fight when even if Ryuko slices her she just regenerates from it

Actually, that is something I disagree with. Aside from the fact she has fought villains with a magical item as a weakness, Ryuko could figure out Pearl's weakness after seeing her regenerate once, and then target her gem.

Actually, on that note, I need to apologise on my part for an anaylsis error.

While I did state that Pearl can regenerate her entire body from her gemstone, I forgot to realise that it usually takes some time for her to do so as it took the process can take anywhere from two weeks to at least an hour.

(another gem called Amethyst can do so in minutes and even seconds, but I consider it an outlier for scaling as she's much better at it overall).

Granted, it is possible for her to regenerate faster, but doing so can result in the regeneration being flawed and the body being deformed, which would be a hindrance in the fight against Ryuko. Everything else I said about Pearl still stands however (such as being able to regen limbs), but I'll edit the summary so people can make a properly informed verdict.

Actually, that is something I disagree with. Aside from the fact she has fought villains with a magical item as a weakness, Ryuko could figure out Pearl's weakness after seeing her regenerate once, and then target her gem.
She'd have to figure out that it comes from her gem so she'd know to target it, and unless it's made explicably clear by Pearl or by others that her source is from the gem, Ruyko won't really find out since she's unaware of her physiology

She'd have to figure out that it comes from her gem so she'd know to target it, and unless it's made explicably clear by Pearl or by others that her source is from the gem, Ruyko won't really find out since she's unaware of her physiology
Ryuko would be able to realise something is up assuming she either see Pearl Regenerates (since all that would be left is her gemstone) or see Pearl pull her weapon out of her gemstone. Since she normally fights against opponents with items that undo their powers if destroyed, logic would stand that she would be able to recognise Pearls Gem as a weak point and target it. Even if she doesn't (and assuming she can get in close to hit pearl), Ryuko could land a lucky blow on gem stone, which even a crack (provided that its sufficiently strong enough) can result in Pearl being destabilised and one step away from shattering.

Granted, its weird that im defending Ryuko after basically stating Pearl would most likely win, but I want this to be a fair verdict.

Oh btw, I'm giving my point to Pearl if that isn't obvious.

Back