• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sub Zero vs Kars - Chill and Ayayaya!

Well Part 1 Dio vs Sub was a bust, lets try Joseph instead.

Plot: Sub is exploring an ancient temple and comes across Kars who bursts from a wall, both sense the other's killing intent and without a word duke it out

Speed is equalised. Base Kars at High 8-C is being used vs Base Sub Zero. SBA Otherwise.

Grandmaster Blueberry Ice: 2

I play guitar on women's legs: 2

Incon: 0

Last edited:
I think Joseph's gonna take this he's a lot trickier than a good amount of the kombat cast to my knowledge he also has the luxury of knowing what sub-zero will do next

can’t Sub Zero just... freeze Joseph? Hamon needs the blood to flow, and, Uh... being frozen isn’t so good for that.

With what, exactly? I don’t believe Joseph ever has any fire-lighting materials on hand. In fact, not even Johnathan did, he relied on the environment just so happening to have a fire nearby. Joseph also doesn’t have experience fighting anyone who can freeze things, and has never even dealt with his Hamon being cut off iirc.

I’d also like to note that Base Sub-Zero is 8-C High, while Post Training Joseph is 8-C, possibly 8-C High with the Ultimate Hamon Overdrive. This means Zero has the AP advantage as well as Dura advantage, and while Joseph could indeed stop the Heart or something similar, it’s not very in-character to do such a thing, as shown throughout many of his fights against actually Human characters.

Like Daddybrawl said, hamon is pretty weak against freezing attacks. I'm not voting yet, but I think sub zero has a serious advantage.

Question for Joesph's page in general. Should he be allowed to carry Guns and Grenades in this key? Considering He never uses them at all Post Training.

I mean, he’s shown having them with literally 0 preparation on hand, so they are Standard Equipment which he apparently has around. Whether he uses them or not doesn’t really matter except in actual debates, as he can Have them but not Use them.

Just feels weird giving them to his Post Training key, dunno.

Well I mean Joseph could probably trick Sub Zero? Plus he's no stranger against foes that can go around Hamon no?

Joseph FRA
Legit no one has given a wincon. Oil freezes, and Joseph has no resistance to freezing, which from Malomtex’ comment sounds like its Sub’s first move. Joseph has never tussled with someone who can freeze people solid, let alone escaped from such a feat. Sub-Zero holds a Strength advantage, Durability Advantage, and even Range Advantage by going up to Hundreds of Meters vs Joseph’s extended Melee range. Joseph is also only High 8-C with one attack, which he’s only used on one situation, against the worst enemy he’s ever faced.
Joseph can dodge, and Joseph can predict, and Joseph can even outsmart. But Sub-Zero needs what seems to be 1 hit to freeze Jospeh solid, holds a massive Range advantage, holds an AP and Dura advantage, and can even pseudo-teleport through his Ice Cryomancy. Joseph, if he even stands a chance, stands a very, very small one.

Edited the OP, Sub is in Revenant Form. Not sure if Hamon will negate but iirc MK Revenants are undead at least.

What is the difference between normal and revenant? I don't know much about MK, and his profile barely mentions it.

Sub-Zero is undoubtedly a more skilled and experienced fighter, with his martial arts, ninja techinques, ice abilities and experience dealing with many opponents, some of which possessing unusual capacities and a violent behaviour.
Ice is really what he starts with and spams, being able to freeze people in seconds with ray, balls etc...
I don't think that Kars has many ways to overcome him, he has a superior cognitive ability, but he fails in combat skill and versatility, even though he isn't new to it.
Overall, I think that Sub-Zero would be able to have the edge in CQC and freeze him, proceeding then to kill him.

Sub zero will be at a serious disadvantage if he gets into melee range, since Kars just needs to touch him to absorb him. On the other hand, sub has a lot more range, so if he fights smart Kars will not be able to close the distance. Because of SBA, they start several hundred meters apart, so I'm leaning towards Sub Zero winning (not voting yet).

Don’t Kars’ Cells constantly emit a form of Acid that breaks things down on a cellular level? You’d think that’d provide some form of defense against being frozen.
I also don’t think Sub-Zero has quite such an Experience lead as you claim. Remember, Kars is part of an ancient race that has lived for thousands of years, and were hunted by users of the Hamon, who are essentially really skilled Martial Artists who use energy to use all sorts of unique techniques. As one of the last remaining Pillar Men, he’s the smartest and most skilled, able to handle himself easily against some of the smartest characters in his verse (and, by proxy, the most skilled Fighters in the series due to his past), and successfully created a mystical contraption that could increase his strength even further.

Don’t Kars’ Cells constantly emit a form of Acid that breaks things down on a cellular level? You’d think that’d provide some form of defense against being frozen.
But wouldn't the cold freeze his cells? He might be able to melt through, say, spikes of ice, but he can't melt through temperatures.
I also don’t think Sub-Zero has quite such an Experience lead as you claim. Remember, Kars is part of an ancient race that has lived for thousands of years, and were hunted by users of the Hamon, who are essentially really skilled Martial Artists who use energy to use all sorts of unique techniques. As one of the last remaining Pillar Men, he’s the smartest and most skilled, able to handle himself easily against some of the smartest characters in his verse (and, by proxy, the most skilled Fighters in the series due to his past), and successfully created a mystical contraption that could increase his strength even further.
I don't know how experienced Sub Zero is, but I agree that Kars is definitely very knowledgeable about combat.

Kars isn't really experienced in martial arts, he slaughtered his people and a tribe of Hamon users in the past, but that's not even close to Sub-Zero, who's the grandmaster of a ninja clan, knows several martial arts and has many years of fighting experience.
I know the Grandmaster key isn't used here, but that's just the name of the key, in the previous keys he has been leader of the clan for 22 years, and was already one if not the best of the clan even before.
Sub-Zero also has fought and defeated ancient beings and other martial arts masters with speciale abilities.
Kars is definitely in disadvantage in this field.
The range combat in part of Sub-Zero's style, since he possesses various forms of projectiles that instantly freeze the opponent and can create various weapons made of ice for close ranged combat.
Sub-Zero also has a technique that consists of instantly create an ice duplicate that takes his place while he dashes backwards and instantly freezes the enemy on touch.
Kars' only wincon is touching and absorbing him, something that I really think isn't so likely to happen immediately, especially due to what I said above.
Also, we have no evidences of his cells resisting an instant freezing, and this is shown to happen even in the cutscenes multiple times, it's not a game mechanic.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm leaning heavily towards Sub Zero. Hopefully somebody can bring some arguments in favor of Kars, because I'm not knowledgeable enough about the Pillar Men to do so.

Back