• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DimeUhDozen

She/Her
There's a tricky matter regarding the matter of Street Fighter EX continuity and how these characters should be scaled. Some say that they're not canon in the slightest, counting them as spin-offs. However, the Street Fighter V encyclopedia calls back to these characters and characters like Darun are mentioned in the canon game by Zangief, but since in their stories, Kairi and Garuda fought Akuma and so on and so forth, how should we scale them?

EX Layer is totally not canon, as its story isn't considered by the main Street Fighter plot (including IV and V, when it started being consistent) or official summarizations like those in the 30th anniversary collection.
I don't know about the encyclopedia, but even the Shadaloo Research Lab has their profiles, even though it specifically states that they belong to EX.
Zangief mentioning Darun can be just a reference or an evidence that Darun exists within the canon universe, but it's another version.

Personally I would count EX as a different path the story took from Alpha 3 onwards, developing in the EX canon until Fighting EX Layer, in a relationship like that between Dragon Ball GT and DBZ.
This means that feats and stuff from Street Fighter 1, Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 should be allowed for scaling purposes.

EX Layer is totally not canon, as its story isn't considered by the main Street Fighter plot (including IV and V, when it started being consistent) or official summarizations like those in the 30th anniversary collection.
I don't know about the encyclopedia, but even the Shadaloo Research Lab has their profiles, even though it specifically states that they belong to EX.
Zangief mentioning Darun can be just a reference or an evidence that Darun exists within the canon universe, but it's another version.

Personally I would count EX as a different path the story took from Alpha 3 onwards, developing in the EX canon until Fighting EX Layer, in a relationship like that between Dragon Ball GT and DBZ.
This means that feats and stuff from Street Fighter 1, Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 should be allowed for scaling purposes.
That sounds fair enough. I think that should be enough to allow them at least a proper tier.

@Matthew_Schroeder @TISSG7Redgrave @BlackDarkness679 @N-nani @Anttron224 @PuasLuisZX @MaidRips @SinsofMan

As you may or may not have noticed, we have received quite a lot of new profile pages for the non-canon Street Fighter EX characters recently, and they are all scaled from the canon version of Akuma, despite that this is equivalent to scaling between different timelines with different versions of the characters:

As such, I think that they should all likely be rescaled from the feats displayed in the EX continuity games alone, and possibly the earliest SF games that happened before there were several continuities, and nothing else.

For the moment, leave them as they are, they will be dealt with in the near future, there is the main series to be handled currently

EX isn't canon last i checked but Akuma's scaling comes from the alpha series thus iirc are canon. Though idk if its possible to scale EX akuma with mainline akuma's feats and everyone who fought EX akuma to scale

Alpha 2 and 3 are canon to the main series, but I'm not sure if the second is canon to the EX series (the third came out after the first EX, so it isn't canon to it).

If Alpha 2 is canon to EX, which has to be demonstrated, the island shattering feat could be accounted for scaling to the EX characters, otherwise we work only with internal feats.

But doing the opposite, scaling back from EX to the main series, shall not be done, as it's not canon.

We also need feats to be calced, before we can talk about replacing tiers.

From what has been told me, there three feats available, i.e. Zangief others two characters hurling the opponent in space with a super move, and the fact that they are three would make it consistent.

Should we add a "(Non-Canon)" description to the EX section of the Street Fighter verse page, and place said section at the bottom of the page, to avoid future scaling misunderstandings?

From what I understand in the series, Alpha series and before is canon to EX, but EX is not canon to anything after that. Sakura is already acquainted with Ryu, Akuma is already aware of Ryu's usage of the Satsui no Hado, in Ryu's tag-team ending, the battle with Sagat is directly mentioned, Ken is married to Eliza ... I'll try to get some more if possible.

Edit: Okay, I got some solid info. EX takes place about the same time Street Fighter II takes place in the canonical storyline. That's where the timeline diverges. Everything before then is fair game.

Last edited:
Okay then. So is it appropriate or not to scale to Akuma's feat? (Did it happen in the EX timeline?)

It would probably also be good if we include some kind of note in the verse page about that EX is not canon to the rest of the franchise.

Yes, Akuma's feat is Pre-Street Fighter II (Back in the Alpha series; see the nifty and cohesive timeline Saman made in the SF Revision thread for more info), so it would be appropriate.

And I agree. We likely should.

Okay. Is somebody here willing to write an appropriately placed note about that into the Street Fighter verse page?

I would like to make some changes to that note, specifically in this way

The Street Fighter EX series (and its sequel Fighting EX Layer) is not canon to the main Street Fighter continuity, and its story takes a different path starting from Street Fighter Alpha 2 onwards (according to the series' timeline).

SamanPatou:

That seems fine to me. Feel free to modify the note accordingly.

Fighting EX Layer is a sequel, yeah. It calls back to plot elements like Hokuto breaking free of the Seal Of Blood, Hayate of SFEX2 being possessed by Garuda for the entirety of the plot, and their general backstories carrying over into this one. It's much more simple of a sequel than something from say, the mainline titles, but I'd say it adds up enough to warrant that title.

Yeah, exactly. And the drama CDs that take place somewhere within the games they represent, which the creator acknowledges as canon.

They are, most definitely, since they contain a lot of fights. The problem is, they're very inaccessible, and what I've managed to gather from them are from summaries from people who have listened to them, and then double-checking around to see if the accounts line up. If anyone has them available, that would be a very big help in terms of scaling. But from what I have available, I have the matchups listed here.

Chun-Li beats Doctrine Dark.
Kairi beats Ken
Guile beats Doctrine Dark.
Hokuto beats Pullum.
Hokuto beats Ken.
Ryu beats Ken.
Skullomania gets the living daylights beaten out of him by Hokuto, Ken, and his wife for interrupting the match between Ken and Hokuto, but comes out okay.
Kairi takes on Akuma but gets beaten and is saved last minute by Garuda who takes on Akuma himself, overpowers him and scares him away when he realizes he's no match for him.

Last edited:
I see

Well 7 games to be checked up for more feats/scaling and then needing to decide who gets what, not to count powers/abilities as well

Yup. And possibly the original Fighting Layer, but from what I've seen, there isn't anything substantial in terms of feats, powers, abilities, and canonical content.

Last edited:
Most likely, though if profiles were made for the FL-exclusive characters in the future, it may be worth checking out.

Alrighty. In that case, I believe that's all, aside from bits and pieces of lore from manuals and such. Those, I'm still looking into.

Its a pain in the ass to look for old manuals especially if there are many versions for a character on what they did during one title

I've learned that the hard way, unfortunately. Luckily, most of the information I've collected seems to line up pretty well, aside from a Kairi retcon which the creator himself debunked.

Internet Archive has some manuals, I suggest you to look there. (That's where I found the original Darkstalkers guides, with some stuff from Street Fighter Alpha and SNK titles).

For other franchises they dont exist even in archive and neither does the wikis for them have citation and when asked on discord, they didnt knew it themselves

Okay. Should I close this thread, or let it remain open?

I think it can stay open, it's not a CRT and everyone can use it for related purposes.

Back