• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Steven Universe speed

Probably because somebody hasn't brought it up before, I'm sure there's tons of verses/pages that has laser stuff that this site no longer deems valid that we will eventually tackle. Since you brought it up, I agree with discarding it due to not meeting criteria.

Somebody probably needs to double check the Pearl navigating the Roaming Eye calc as well.

*It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.

Gems are stated to be comprised of light so many times in the series its not even funny, with many of these descriptions being made by characters with significant scientific knowledge such as Pearl and Peridot, with further evidence such as Gems being unable to move faster than light due to their bodies physically lagging behind them, their bodies not showing up on x-rays, and the formation of a Gem's body giving off heat rather than direct force supporting this.

*The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.

Gems have regularly used light projected from their gemstones as flashlights and the light used by Gems reflects off of mirrors

*The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.

While the beam itself isnt called lightspeed, the light used by Gems actually is, indirectly at least, by Pearl in Adventures in Light Distortion

*It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.

In the case of SU, lasers coming from Gems is a realistic source due to the aforementioned fact that Gems being made of and utilizing light is constantly drilled into your head since the beginning of the series.

In addition, the beams dont curve or shift direction, they travel in straight lines, and they dont explode or cause visible force damage to the environment (lasers causing physical damage tends to be a big indicator of them not being true light so these lasers not doing so supports them being light further).

So yeah, theres ample evidence that it fits the criteria of lightspeed

Yeah, those prisms aren't actual Gems and plus I don't think the Gems would count as "realistic" sources of light according to the criteria. Plus Steven is chubby boi made of human fat, so that doesn't apply to him. It sucks, but I think we should not count these as lightspeed.

Yeah, those prisms aren't actual Gems and plus I don't think the Gems would count as "realistic" sources of light according to the criteria. Plus Steven is chubby boi made of human fat, so that doesn't apply to him. It sucks, but I think we should not count these as lightspeed.
Steven Gem actually is Rose one, so, whatever

"99% of your argument seems to hinge on the lasers in this scene being emitted from Gems (the species), who are comprised of and can emit realistic light. But the lasers here are being shot from prism-like devices in an ancient spaceship."

As shown abundantly on all of the episodes showcasing Homeworld having Gem tech powred by actual Gems rather than a extrnal power source as well as stuff like Lapis' mirror and the Gem Clocktower, the fact that old Gem tech canonically runs on Gem-based power sources, as well as the existence of stuff like White Light which canonically turns into natural light despite not bing a Gem itself, just old gem tech, lends a lot to the idea that its lightspeed light beig projectd from th prisms.

Also its not really 99% of the argument, evn without a realistic source they still fit under the critria for lightspeed (Traveling in straight lines rather than curving, visibly not daling force damag whn impacting a surface, reflcting off of nonmagical reflctive surfaces, etc.), Gems using natural light in evry aspect of thir socity was just supporting a single aspct of th lightsped criteria

I guess a note since people point out there prisms. Prism tech is actually pretty common and expanded upon in the (canon) rpg game series where the entire series is named after the fact the Prisms produce light

Back