• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Steel Ball Run's THE WORLD

Hello all. I want to bring attention to something that has been catching my eye for a while now: Alternate Universe Diego Brando's (whom I will refer to as DIEGO to shorten it) THE WORLD and its original scaling to Part 3 DIO's The World. I know this has been discussed many times, and I even have a screenshot here from a moderator who has said something I originally once believed. However, my own research is now pointing to the idea that perhaps this hasn't been the case, and we have been looking at it the opposite way. I now fully believe that, despite similar namesakes and appearances, they are in essence different enough Stands to not warrant scaling, and that this was intended by the author. I want to address this from a few points both in and out of the series; with words from Hirohiko Araki himself.

Also, I will be using Viz scans for SDC because they're cleaner, much higher quality, and actually official. I apologize if this overlaps with any JoJo's Colored Adventure scanlation that is in a majority of the external links currently on the website. I am hoping to revise those and update them as well in the future. SBR scans will most likely be Ignition-One, of which JJCA based their translation off of when converting it (and other Parts except for 5) to the digital colored Shueisha releases. I simply just prefer the original black-and-white look.

To begin, let us discuss that the original The World's power comes from its initial superior strength over Star Platinum. There is no Star Platinum in the Steel Ball Run universe to match and compare with THE WORLD to verify that its scaling is consistent. THE WORLD had never used its physical prowess in the short time DIEGO was in the story. The only time we had seen it do any damage was to itself. So if we cannot find a direct correlation, how do we determine a difference? It is simple. The main difference between both of the Stands is that its Time Stop, despite being the same amount of time, is universally a different take on one another. Yes, they both stop time for five seconds; but remember DIO's was never that from the start. He had to train it from less than a second to the five seconds he had in his final battle, a process that took six months prior to the battle against Jotaro. DIEGO's THE WORLD could have only been obtained in a parallel universe (in the new, alternate universe might I add) in which he awakened this Stand using the Devil's Palm in a universe where he never inherited Scary Monsters. This is consistent with the in-universe laws of Stands (#9). By the time the Scary Monsters arc begins, the Steel Ball Run race was 18 days, 8 hours into its 116 days, 6-hour run. This data was taken from the wiki, but there are actual manga pages explaining runtimes at the beginning and end of the Stages. This means that DIEGO would only have had up to 98 days to inherit THE WORLD, which gives him half of the time DIO did to actually train his Stand.

I would like to add that the possibility of him getting this Stand prior to Scary Monsters in a parallel universe is impossible. He would have had to awaken this Stand in the Devil's Palm in the Rocky Mountains, the same in which he obtained the Scary Monsters virus from Dr. Ferdinand (and stole the ability by using a corpse part), or else it would violate Rule #9 linked in the previous paragraph. It is also impossible to argue that since DIEGO did not come from the 'Root Universe' in which the Corpse Parts resided, in which the Devil's Palm was created to guard said pieces, he could not have awakened his Stand in one. I originally hypothesized that since there are no Corpse Parts, but riches, in the parallel worlds D4C travels to, then there would be no Devil's Palm to obtain said Corpse Parts. However, we see that in Valentine's chase from the Infinite Rotation, twice we see Johnny has Tusk (Once here, and another here. Although you do not see Tusk itself on the second page, you know it's active when Johnny's hands are lined with stars.), which he only obtained once he was in the Devil's Palm of Arizona Desert during the Devil's Palm arc. We could theorycraft more but there is no other earlier possible place where this parallel universe DIEGO could have obtained his Stand. It must have been, at the earliest, in the Rocky Mountains.

Furthermore, both DIEGO and the description at the end of SBR 92 implies that this variant is capped at five seconds. This means that once awakened, THE WORLD must have already had the ability to stop time for five seconds and did not need any training. If this is the case, they cannot be the same Stand, and they cannot be scaled just by being labeled as the exact same, nor would it be true to scale it because it "should be comparable", when there is already a steep difference in the way they are written.

JoJoveller is the most current, up-to-date guide on the series and Stands. However, it lacks a page on Part 7's THE WORLD. Furthermore, it has no mention on the page where the original The World is. To this guide, it is like it never existed. However, with my previous paragraph, using that as a way to establish a connection cannot be true if you are attempting to interpret it as the exact same Stand, and as such, the exact same physical feats and prowess cannot be linked over just because it doesn't have a page or that it looks similar enough alone.

It is also established by Araki that the original six Parts and what had been written from Part 7 onward is not meant to be affiliated. This is taken straight from his notes in the first volume, and he has another in his second asking to not take any overlapping characters as the same as from previous arcs. The only thing that could truly argue against it would be to say that Araki only mentioned protagonists, not antagonists, or that he did not mention Stands. If you wish to argue semantics, it is plausible, but this was written before Diego was ever granted a Stand three volumes later. I believe that Araki is asking that we not take anything from Parts 7 & 8 and directly compare it to his previous works, but to accept them as new ideas and new entities altogether, which would in itself dissolve scaling.

In short, being from alternate universes and not parallel worlds (such as the two Diegos), not having enough substantial evidence of being physically comparable, and having been written with different time stops intentionally, I believe there is a strong argument where these two variants of The World cannot scale to each other. This is important, as this would have the scaling of Steel Ball Run entirely redone.

Agreed, yes i think it's weird if we scale part 7-8 from part 3 which is already different universe, where they are clearly different people despite having the same identity.

I heard SBR will get a new CRT about this topic and that they were gonna butcher the scaling to the first universe...

I heard SBR will get a new CRT about this topic and that they were gonna butcher the scaling to the first universe...
"Butcher" is a harsh word. If it has sound reason to be interpreted differently, then we should adjust them as such.

So we need new scaling for part 7 & 8
Yes. I want to tackle things one step at a time though, so starting with Steel Ball Run would be apt. There are multiple feats to pull from with characters like Diego Brando, Funny Valentine, and Johnny Joestar. I believe ACT4 has a 9-A calc somewhere on the website, but that was years ago.

would the lack of SBR World in JoJoveller actually moreso indicate it's meant to be the same as DIO's, since no Stands repeat in JoJoveller at all?

Yes. I want to tackle things one step at a time though, so starting with Steel Ball Run would be apt. There are multiple feats to pull from with characters like Diego Brando, Funny Valentine, and Johnny Joestar. I believe ACT4 has a 9-A calc somewhere on the website, but that was years ago.
Nice, u've the link calc? I didn't find that

While I agree that they are not the same Stand, something that I agreed some time ago, some, if not all of your arguments are just... bad and not accurate enough. I'm not here to actually argue against them, I'd be wasting my time, since we both agree on removing the scaling. But it will be made like the AP and Speed CRT, with scans and scaling already done.
Nice, u've the link calc? I didn't find that
Here
Actually it could be, other than The World i cant think of any stand that is similar to each other
Killer Queen and Hermit Purple. We are actually waiting for JoJolion's last volume and possibly a new guide.

Since my comment here I changed my mind, and I think THE WORLD is the same Stand as DIO's Stand.

What happens if the OP issue gets accepted, like, what will he do? Remove the ratings and place Unknown instead? Nah, everything has its time and SBR will be revised soon.

Since my comment here I changed my mind, and I think THE WORLD is the same Stand as DIO's Stand.

What happens if the OP issue gets accepted, like, what will he do? Remove the ratings and place Unknown instead? Nah, everything has its time and SBR will be revised soon.
May I ask what convinced you otherwise?

Why would you bump this, as M3X says, a l o t of the OP is bullshit or headcanon and demonstrably false. Like, if we're doing this, we sure as hell ain't doing it with that OP, no offense to OP but holy ******* shit lad, come on ya better than that 😔.

It's best to wait when we reach that point and have calcs and stuff done in case of worse case scenario (we got like, idk, 3 atm?), which will be eventually, there's no rush, better to take awhile and do it right then do it fast and wrong.
No what lol
The op is still a very much reasonable issue
When we do this, it sure as **** wouldn't be in this thread, this is one of the worst most made up bullshit op's I've seen in my whole time here, half the shit in the OP is completely made up. We're not doing it here, we'll do it and solve this at a later time when everything is good to go and not in a thread where it opens up with like 80% false info. You know the good ol Miyamoto quote, apply it here.

Back