• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Standarizing criteria for Top Navigation Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks kinda ugly, I think I like what we have better, especially since it skips an intermediate step and lets you see the other versions immediately.

That looks kinda ugly, I think I like what we have better, especially since it skips an intermediate step and lets you see the other versions immediately.

What do you mean? "What we have" isn't being replaced by this. This just adds a method of getting directly to the disambiguation pages from the pages.

So our current blue templates are not getting replaced? I must have misunderstood from reading the early parts of the thread, then, my apologies.

Well, in this thread we mainly need a standard instruction page for navigation templates page to be written.

Ok I got really confused in this thread, but let me ask some questions:

— You want instructions page/draft on how to use navigation templates page to be written and its respective rules?
— This is the current rules?
— Are there any remaining concerns about current rules?

Last edited:
Ok I got really confused in this thread, but let me ask some questions:

— You want instructions page/draft on how to use navigation templates page to be written and its respective rules?
Yes, more importantly what kind of content is allowed on them.

— This is the current rules?
Uh... broken link? XenForo doesn't work like that, looking at the source code of that bit of your message seems to intent to quote this:

Regarding Article List Templates, content featured in each one is limited on the following criteria:

*Article List Templates should only be used within the Intellectual Property in question, and as such shouldn't have content outside the permission of the respective owners. Disambiguation pages should be used instead otherwise.
*Article List Templates should be kept to group multiple pages in the following cases:
**Alternate incarnations of the same character within the same franchise (Link)
**Different time periods regarding the same character and timeline (Son Goku (Dragon Ball) to Son Goku (Dragon Ball Z))
**Multiple versions of the same character in alternate canons (Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy) to Cloud Strife (Kingdom Hearts))
**For verse pages featuring long-running series with multiple relevant continuities (Marvel and DC)
*In-universe clones and derivatives (such as merely being a family member) aren't allowed to be within an Article List Template for the given character, as they're simply considerable as their own individual characters without sufficient relation and similarity for the purposes of an Article List Template to the respective character, this also extends to alternate timeline incarnations.
**Alternate canon characters can be featured in Article List Templates, even if their alternate canon is regarded as an alternate timeline in relation to the main canon in question.
*Article List Templates may only be used for character profiles or verse pages, other cases should rely on a category to group them and/or a disambiguation page on a case-by-case basis.

In any case, that bit is already done from the look of things.

— Are there any remaining concerns about current rules?
TBH this thread seems to already be concluded, any remaining concerns seem to already have been brought up here and should continue there TBH.

It also seems there was some interest on doing a separate template for linking disambiguation pages (namely to highlight characters that just happen to have the same name and are simply different characters as far IPs go, thus not qualifying for just being linked on the "regular" template), but that'd be @Damage3245 's area looking at the replies.

It looks good to me.

@Just_a_Random_Butler and @Dereck03

Are you willing to create a page for it please?

Oh there is issue, at the last section, I added "categories" as examples, why it did convert to something else?

Thank you. 🙏
By the way, should it be added to this?
Yes, that would be preferable. 🙏

Shouldn't this bit...

They should only be utilized within the relevant intellectual property and should not contain any content that is not approved by the intellectual property's owners. If necessary, disambiguation pages should be used instead.

...be moved to the Guidelines section?

Thing is that merely mentioning it in the introduction, especially with the "should" will imply to users that they have no obligation to respect that standard, and at that point it may as well become a guideline, with a minor reqord if anything to fit better over there.

We have the option to substitute "must" instead of "should," but personally, I believe that using "should" does not merely suggest that it is not a set of guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back